we are all going to put the weight back on!!

Options
123457»

Replies

• scorpiogirl100
    Options
    If we were all fit and healthy then Doctors wouldn't have a job lol
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    According to my partners dietician that is!

He was sent to see her to help him lose weight. He told her what I have been doing and she said that the whole concept was a ridiculous idea and no one should be told by an app or website how much they can eat and that it will just lead to me gaining it all back. He was loving telling me this as he has never liked the fact I'm on here logging my food and have been since February.

Just as I was about to tell him its not stupid ect as he carried on about how ridiculous mfp is he turns round and says "so she told me I should have 1500 cals a day!". I would have pointed out that's exactly the same as what I'm doing but thought it would be a waste of breath

Gave me a laugh though!

That is so unprofessional. I cant believe it. I told my doctor and he thinks it is wonderful...She is an ignorant person.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Some dieticians are not doctors. Is your a doctor, and if not, what are his/her real credentials and certifications? If you haven't already, you should check it out.

Dieticians are not doctors - unless they became a doctor and then became a nutritionist. They take some classes and get a certificate. They don't go to medical school and don't have a medical degree. BUT - medical school does not focus on nutrition. Doctors learn to treat (with drugs), not nutrition. They don't know much at all about nutrition. Plus everything they learn is based on the conventional wisdom that fat is evil and this is a** backwards.

This is a great site to get started but you must do your own research and be your own scientist.

I got fed up with counting and logging after 6 months. It didn't make sense. We shouldn't have to log and count the rest of our lives just to maintain our weight.

First 6 months: cut calories and tried to exercise a lot and logged food. Lost 9.6lbs (no idea on bf%). Ate high carb and low fat. Was spending my day logging and worrying about calories because I had to eat 5x-6x a day. I went from around 130 to 120.6

Next 4 months on Primal Blueprint (no grains/sugars/milk/beans and limited low-sugar fruits; lots of protein, fat and especially saturated fat). I was at 22% body fat at the start. No logging or counting. Just kept an eye on my carb count and made sure I got plenty of healthy fats (i.e. NOT PUFAS). Cut back on the exercise and started following Primal Blueprint Fitness which was a lot less exercise. Lost 9.8lbs more in these four months. Dropped 4% body fat, maintained my lean muscle mass, my body stopped retaining sodium and water, my nutrient absorption increased, my belly disappeared. Once I got past the initial "carb flu" - withdrawl symptoms - I started feeling normal for the first time in my life. Went from 120.4 to 110.6 (I'm 5'2")
    But I'm not pushing this lifestyle on anyone. My research led me down that path and I have increased my health because of it.

You do what you feel works for you, don't listen to anyone. Just listen to your body. We are all on this journey to fix our bodies and it will tell you if it doesn't like what you are doing. This is your journey, not his and not the dietician's.
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the doctor sound have looked up the source before putting in her 2 cents. This is not a fad diet, it's a lifestyle change which teaches us how to eat portion sizes and getting proper nutrition. It makes us focus on why we are eating. You have to think about what you ate and why when you log in your food. It also motivates us to exercise especially if we over indulged. Not to mention the support from the other uses on this site. Without MFP, I don't have support from family or friends. Most are intimidated by my weight loss. They see me doing things that I would never have considered doing before. I have more confidence, look good and feel great about myself. That might be the real reason your boyfriend is so upset about your weight loss and not MFP. You are changing for the better and he probably doesn't know where he fits in all this. Just reassure him he has nothing to worry about. If he continues, then you may have to discuss the real reason for his anger and resentment. I wish you all the best. Continue to be strong and healthy.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It's shocking how clueless Doctors can be about weight loss!!!

I don't think doctor's want us to be healthy they will be without jobs.....

Registered Dietitians/Nutritionists are not doctors, I can assure you.

RDs have a four-year degree in Nutrition and Dietetics. Then they take a license examination to become Registered Dietitians. Nutritionists vary and can have an associates degree with certifications, or a four-year degree. It all depends on the program and state licensing. (Yes, I originally studied N&D in undergrad until I switched my major to Psychology).
  • kgcart
    kgcart Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm....is this application stupid because she gets paid to give out advice that is being giving away online for free :ohwell:
    Some people...

Excellent, well said Molly!
  • kgcart
    kgcart Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    According to my partners dietician that is!

..... "so she told me I should have 1500 cals a day!".

And how is your partner suppose to calculate 1500 a day? Does he plan on guessing? Good luck with that! If one doesn't make the "life style eating change" then one will more than likely gain it all back regardless of their PLAN of attack to and including the highly paid advice of the Dieticians"
    I realize your more than likely aware of this, so keep up the good work with your loss and hope your partner sees the light!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Mine is too....he said to me SERIOUSLY..."So...how have you lost the weight?" I told him about exercise and calories in and balancing the two...and he said..."No...seriously...how have you done it?"
    Clueless...but I paid him anyhow...go figure
    Love to you all
    :flowerforyou:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I really believe this is true of doctors and prescription drug companies. I recently stopped taking a medication because when I asked my doctor if I still needed to be on it his reply was "well it won't hurt you". I was stunned at his answer...

Both of these statements are sweeping generalizations, unfair and, to be perfectly honest, offensive.
    1. Dieticians =/= doctors

2. Like any profession, there are good and bad. I do believe the majority of doctors are actually out to help people. I certainly don't think doctors would be out of a job regardless if everyone was a healthy weight and ate properly nor do they have any reason to worry that would happen. People will still suffer injuries, have babies, suffer from diseases not related to nutrition and any number of things other things.
    I think I mostly take offence to it because there are a good many doctors who do a lot to help promote healthy active lifestyles and communities, some of whom I know personally. I have a good friend who is a doctor that has been quoted as saying "I love to see people active and healthy - it’s much better than pressing on someone’s chest in the emergency room". I can't tell you how much he and his wife (also a doctor) have done for our community, particularly the triathlon community. I would never be where I am today if not for them and all the work they do, and I know there are a number of others who feel the same way.

If you have a problem with your doctor, perhaps you should find a new one. But please, don't paint all with the same brush.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with the tool you use but rather the dedication and lifestyle change and the speed of loss... the faster you lose, the more likely you are to gain it back... the in/out of calories is a simple formula but I am grateful for MFP to do all the math....
  • jessashcher
    Options
    sounds like this person is a quack.
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Oh, doctors will never be without jobs. The human body is not capable of living perfectly disease-free forever, no matter how good your diet and exercise habits are. But they really DO want you to be healthy for as long as you can.

My doc and my dietician both independently recommended tracking food intake, daily exercise (30 mins over and above your normal activity, 6 days a week), modest calorie deficit, and slow weight loss. Doc says, 10-15 lbs/year (his experience is that those who lose over 20 lbs in a year tend to regain, as they haven't made a lifestyle change). Dietician says, shoot to lose 10% of your present body weight, then PLAN to maintain it for a while, then start going again.

The dietician your husband saw has gotta be delusional if she really wants him to eat 1500 calories per day. I guarantee that his BMR is higher than that (if he's my age, it's over 2300 calories/day), and the number of calories needed to maintain his weight has gotta be near 3000. If he actually cuts his calorie intake in half, he'll be miserable and hungry and unable to stick with it. Only someone who has no concept of the reality of the overweight person would recommend such an idiotic thing. (Betcha she weighs 97 lbs soaking wet. I've met VERY few overweight dieticians.)

But I bet that if you can get him to log his food for a few days and he can see what he's really eating, he might decide to make a change. If not, that's too bad. It helps, for sure!
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been married to the same guy for 11 years, and it's a proven fact -- your partner WILL NOT hear this kind of advice if YOU say it. However, if someone ELSE tell them the same thing, they will suddenly have a REVELATION: "Hey, guess what I found out today????" It must be a glitch in the chromosomes. What's even worse is if they suddenly believe it when their MOTHER says it. :noway:

Just pat him on the head and say, "That's nice, dear." :laugh: And then share the laugh with your girl buds.

Soooooooo true! This has happenned to me with my husband more times than I can laugh about! I really love it when he started listening to the guys at work about what was going on with MY body and menopause. LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don`t think that MPF is 100% exact and perfect. But with that said, its not telling you that you shouldn`t eat, its not telling you that you should over eat, and gives you a basic overview.

Considering its free, its amazzing!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

I went to my gyno for a checkup and told him I was losing weight...He asked how and I told him by counting calories...He said that that was the way to do it and said keep up the good work.....:drinker:
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Years ago I told my doctor I couldn't afford to go to the gym. His response was just go for a walk at night when no one else can see you. Cheeky git!

He has since been done for malpractice :-)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Years ago I told my doctor I couldn't afford to go to the gym. His response was just go for a walk at night when no one else can see you. Cheeky git!

The "night when no ones can see you" part is out of line, but the part about walking is actually really good advice. I lost a lot of weight just walking and watching my calories and food choices. I used to walk 3.5 to 7 miles a day. It got better results than any exercise video I tried.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options

The "night when no ones can see you" part is out of line, but the part about walking is actually really good advice. I lost a lot of weight just walking and watching my calories and food choices. I used to walk 3.5 to 7 miles a day. It got better results than any exercise video I tried.

Yes I agree about the walking but I wasn't bothered who would see me walking.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I went for my physical in November, 28 pounds lighter than last year (from 143 down to 115, I am 5'3" tall). My doc came in the room and said "I'm looking for the skinny mini" and congratulated me. My weight is lower than its ever been as an adult (I'm 48 and have been her patient for almost 25 years). When she saw the number on the cart she asked the nurse who weighed me if it was the right number before she came in the room. She asked me how I did it and I told her about MFP. She said her daughter had just started it and so had a number of the office staff. She was thrilled with my results and even sent some of the staff in to talk to me about it. She was totally supportive of my loss and the MFP site. And that's the kind of doc she is and why I've been with her so long :)

I had a similar experience with my doctor ;)