Why ruin a good piece of meat?

Options

Replies

• nicholastprice
    Options
    If you bought it, it's commercially sold. I didn't mean to offend, but I just hate it that people have been robbed of great-tasting, well-cooked, tender steak because they have been told or assume that the pinkness of meat is blood. Blood coagulates and would be a thick, dark red substance. If you have never tried a steak cooked properly because you were squeamish about eating blood, please do yourself a favor and try it. If you want to go on burning them after that, then that is your business.

Also, while we're on the subject of properly cooked steaks, bacteria does not penetrate very far into whole muscles of meat. This means that as long as you get the outside done, you will be fine as far as bacteria goes. In ground meats, the outside is on the inside, so they have to be all the way cooked. This is why you can eat a properly cooked medium rare steak. No one needs to be scared of steak. I hope this helps.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    If you have never tried a steak cooked properly
    That's completely subjective.
  • tinytubbs
    Options
    the common misconception people have is that a well done steak is burned and dry. I make my steak well done and trust me it is neither dry or burned. The other thing people get wrong is that blood is the same as flavor. you don't have to cut it off the cow and start chewing in order to enjoy it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Also, while we're on the subject of properly cooked steaks, bacteria does not penetrate very far into whole muscles of meat. This means that as long as you get the outside done, you will be fine as far as bacteria goes. In ground meats, the outside is on the inside, so they have to be all the way cooked. This is why you can eat a properly cooked medium rare steak. No one needs to be scared of steak. I hope this helps.

You should not eat raw hamburger because little attention is paid to keeping it clean from bacteria when it's prepared in a huge meat packing plant that takes the meat from hundreds of cows and smash it all together. You can eat raw ground meat however if it is prepared specifically to be consumed raw. My butcher selects the meat carefully and also cuts off the outsides prior to grinding and is extremely careful of contamination. You should tell your butcher that you intend to eat the meat raw he'll be extra careful for you. I've even had my butcher tell me that he doesn't have any kibbe meat because although the meat he had was very lovely and fresh, he didn't deem it fresh enough to be consumed raw.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If it's not still actually cold in the middle (and I mean cold, like from the refrigerator cold) wish just some faint grill marks on the outside, it's not worth eating.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If it's not still actually cold in the middle (and I mean cold, like from the refrigerator cold) wish just some faint grill marks on the outside, it's not worth eating.

d'oh - wish should be with
  • nicholastprice
    Options
    If you have never tried a steak cooked properly
    That's completely subjective.

Actually, as far as tenderness and juiciness is concerned, people who can measure such things will tell you that a properly-cooked medium rare steak is tops in both. If you have other things that you are looking for, then by all means eat it the way you want to.
  • TheBraveryLover
    Options
    If you have other things that you are looking for, then by all means eat it the way you want to.
    Thank you for the permission. My "proper" way is medium well. :flowerforyou:
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I'd venture to say I actually hate steak.

I have nothing against meat, in fact I ran the kitchen in an award-winning bbq restaurant for 2 years. (http://www.bustersbbq.com/awards_sauce.asp)

Just doesn't do it for me.
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Where I come from (Texas) it's a sin to order your steak any more cooked than medium rare. And lord help you if you ask for A-1., or gosh, I don't know if I can even say it... ketchup! If it's a good steak, don't ruin it!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Medium well. Don't want blood on my plate and don't like the pink.
  • nicholastprice
    Options
    If you have other things that you are looking for, then by all means eat it the way you want to.

I apologize if I have offended you. I hate talking over da webz. I am only trying to educate. As I have said in each of my posts, if you have tried a properly-cooked medium rare steak and prefer it another way, then by all means. My point is that as far as what a large majority of people consider the zenith of steak, medium rare is the perfect steak. If you're more into mouthfeel or some other variant that I couldn't possibly know then please ignore my posts.
  • springfield5780
    Options
    Caaaaack!!!! :sick:

I'm not meeting 90% of you guys at a steak house! :laugh:

Cook that SOB!!!! :drinker:

BAHAHAHAHAHA AMEN! Medium well for me! Leaning more towards the WELL side than the medium side :laugh:
  • TheBraveryLover
    Options

I apologize if I have offended you. I hate talking over da webz. I am only trying to educate. As I have said in each of my posts, if you have tried a properly-cooked medium rare steak and prefer it another way, then by all means. My point is that as far as what a large majority of people consider the zenith of steak, medium rare is the perfect steak. If you're more into mouthfeel or some other variant that I couldn't possibly know then please ignore my posts.
    Oh, I'm just picky, in general, in what I prefer to eat. If it doesn't "look good" or has a certain texture, 9 times out of 10 I won't like it. I'll try it, but most times that I've tried something that has an appearance that displeases me, the taste ends up turning me off as well. For instance, I strongly dislike any shellfish; especially shrimp, yet most people (at least people I know) love shellfish. I don't feel the need to try rare or medium rare steak since it doesn't look appetizing to me, but I don't think it's wrong others like it that way. Hell, my best friend loves her steak mooing.

I *do* think it's rude for chefs to purposely pick bad cuts or purposely burn the steaks (I've had this happen once and spoke to the manager about it) of people who ask for anything higher cooked than medium, though. It's pretty ridiculous and forcing their preferences off on their customers - the people who contribute to their salary.

Not offended, but I appreciate the apology. :-)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    To quote a pal of mine, "wipe its butt and rake it across the grill." lol I like a lot of pink in my meat.
  • nicholastprice
    Options
    As long as you promise it has nothing to do with believing that beautiful pink color has anything to do with blood or bugs, then I will defend your right to eat burnt steak against all enemies, both foreign and domestic. However, if you still believe that the pink color of the meat or the juices on the plate have anything to do with blood or bugs, then I implore you to give a properly-cooked medium rare steak a fair chance. If you do end up giving it a fair chance and don't like it, I would love for you to bill me to make it up to you.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I've tried steak cooked all different ways, and I like it well done.

Now, I did not know before this post that there was no blood, but even so, I dislike the texture of rare steak.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I eat out - Medium Rare - when I cook it myself most probably more on the rare side.....cant eat a piece of well done meat - how unapetising!!

6314142861_134db2459e.jpg
    Week 44 - Food by .donelle, on Flickr

Damn that looks good!!!
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Well done for me. I don't care what "90 %" of the population likes, I know what I like and that's WELL DONE!!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Medium rare to rare - depending on who's definition.

If I know someone who eats only well done steak is coming to dinner - I serve chicken. Good steaks are pricey and it pains me to overcook them. I've done it only by accident :ohwell:

My friend @ work tells me of how he cooks the perfect temp monitored medium rare filet mignon.... and then dips bathes it in A1 sauce.... Oh the horror :noway: I know some people love it, but for me, it's the cure for a BAD steak, not a good one.