Repost: Because I got ZERO response the last time.

Options
123457»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Okay, on the weights I don't know, but what about other types of exercise? Why would, for example, walking for more than two hours a day be harmful to anyone? I've worked jobs where I walked closer to six or eight hours every day. Admittedly, I did have a day off here and there. In fact, given a choice between taking a sedentary job or an active one, I've always gone back to the active ones so that I would get a work out. Why would choosing to walk hours every day off the clock hurt me when doing it on the clock never did?
    She's not walking. She's doing lifting, zumba classes (high intensity aerobics) and elliptical workouts. Her heart rate is much higher during any of those than while just walking and her muscles are taxed harder (joints and connective tissue too). Walking would be an "active rest" compared to what her workouts are now.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Okay, on the weights I don't know, but what about other types of exercise? Why would, for example, walking for more than two hours a day be harmful to anyone? I've worked jobs where I walked closer to six or eight hours every day. Admittedly, I did have a day off here and there. In fact, given a choice between taking a sedentary job or an active one, I've always gone back to the active ones so that I would get a work out. Why would choosing to walk hours every day off the clock hurt me when doing it on the clock never did?
    She's not walking. She's doing lifting, zumba classes (high intensity aerobics) and elliptical workouts. Her heart rate is much higher during any of those than while just walking and her muscles are taxed harder (joints and connective tissue too). Walking would be an "active rest" compared to what her workouts are now.

This... Thank you agthorn.

To add:
    Walking at work is a totally different ball game then walking for exercise purposes. Like you said, you had a day off here and there.. plus your not walking for 6 to 8 hrs straight like you would be while exercising.. you prob. took breaks, had a lunch, etc etc.

When you do cardio, you're body only uses fat for fuel for so long. After a certain point it starts looking for other energy sources.. and one of those sources is muscle... which is what you don't want. There is no real benefit from working out for multiple hours a day as fat as I know.. unless you really like too.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

I know, I just thought, what if she wanted to substitute something she shouldn't do quite so often for something that she can do more often? And I wondered if walking would do the trick.
  • jilers
    jilers Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100 - 1200 a day or less. 2400 is too many calories unless your doctor or nutritionist put you on that amount for some reason.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

To add:
    Walking at work is a totally different ball game then walking for exercise purposes. Like you said, you had a day off here and there.. plus your not walking for 6 to 8 hrs straight like you would be while exercising.. you prob. took breaks, had a lunch, etc etc.

When you do cardio, you're body only uses fat for fuel for so long. After a certain point it starts looking for other energy sources.. and one of those sources is muscle... which is what you don't want. There is no real benefit from working out for multiple hours a day as fat as I know.. unless you really like too.

I'm actually starting to like it, kinda scary! But I don't walk for six hours in a row, just working my way up to a couple of hours of exercise total a day and never all at once. Seems to be okay except my legs are sore beyond belief when I first get out of bed in the morning. Otherwise, I don't think it's doing me any harm. My back (which I inherited messed up) is doing fine for once, my knees don't hurt, and my poor overburdened ankles only start to hurt if I'm jogging (and then I slow down immediately to a walk).

I certainly don't want to lose muscle, you're right about that, though. I don't know, I'm trying to figure this all out myself. But I'd hate it if there's a limit on how much of all forms of exercise I should be doing every day. Besides, it doesn't seem right. Humans weren't meant to be in chairs all day. Were we?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    2469 calories remaining today after my workout and 420 cal breakfast

What?

I have to run 20km to be able to eat that much!
    Something's not right here. Crunch the numbers.

It's because you're not running in a built in fat suit. I don't know about OP, but I burn a huge amount of calories in a very short time, both according to this site and according to my HRM. Usually I eat most of mine back, though. I didn't get this fat by having no appetite!

Fair enough.

Seems incredibly high for someone wanting to lose weight, unless burning 1700+ cal/day.

Cheers and stay on track :)
    E.

I can easily lose weight while consuming a net of around 2100-2200 calories a day. All depends on how active you are.... I work on my feet and am in constant motion at work. When I'm actively trying to lose weight, I'm also going to the gym 3-4 days a week, running, lifting weights, etc.

Don't assume everyone needs a low caloric intake to lose weight. It is more about your activity level. Someone highly active could easily be burning a lot of calories in a day (I am maintaining my weight while consuming 2300-2500 (closer to 2500 as of late) NET calories a day).
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    there are many ways to lose weight. umm, for me, I just eat so that I'm not hungry, so maybe 1700-1800calories is enough for me whether or not I exercise. fruits/veggies and proteins like turkey/chicken are good ways to eat a lot and be full w/out overdoing calories and macros, fyi going over on protein/even sodium isn't end of the world. and sat. fats are good as well, like in nuts, etc. . . plenty water, and you've lost 22, so you're doing something right. keep it up
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100 - 1200 a day or less. 2400 is too many calories unless your doctor or nutritionist put you on that amount for some reason.

WRONG.

2400 calories isn't always too many. It depends on your activity level. Plain and simple. I easily consume 2300-2500 net calories a day and I'm maintaining. When I'm actively trying to lose weight, I drop down around 2100-2200. I would be starving to death if I cut my maintenance calories in half and only consumed 1100-1200 calories. My body would be doing some serious revolting and it wouldn't take long before I was too exhausted to do much of anything. Some people simply need more calories. Please, don't assume because 1200 works for YOU that someone eating 2400 is "eating too much". You never know what other people need.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

To add:

I'm actually starting to like it, kinda scary! But I don't walk for six hours in a row, just working my way up to a couple of hours of exercise total a day and never all at once. Seems to be okay except my legs are sore beyond belief when I first get out of bed in the morning. Otherwise, I don't think it's doing me any harm. My back (which I inherited messed up) is doing fine for once, my knees don't hurt, and my poor overburdened ankles only start to hurt if I'm jogging (and then I slow down immediately to a walk).

I certainly don't want to lose muscle, you're right about that, though. I don't know, I'm trying to figure this all out myself. But I'd hate it if there's a limit on how much of all forms of exercise I should be doing every day. Besides, it doesn't seem right. Humans weren't meant to be in chairs all day. Were we?

No we're not, but we're also not meant to do strenuous forms of exercise for hours a day.

The equation is 80% diet and 20% exercise.. which means, even if your exercise is spot on but your diet is crap, you won't see the changes that you want.

I personally don't see a point in exercising hours a day.. I have a life that I'd like to live outside of the gym. The most I exercise a day is an hour.. anything more then that, and I think it's a bit obsessive.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options

To add:

No we're not, but we're also not meant to do strenuous forms of exercise for hours a day.

The equation is 80% diet and 20% exercise.. which means, even if your exercise is spot on but your diet is crap, you won't see the changes that you want.

I personally don't see a point in exercising hours a day.. I have a life that I'd like to live outside of the gym. The most I exercise a day is an hour.. anything more then that, and I think it's a bit obsessive.

Ithe 80/20 is sooooo right and I had no idea until recently. I exercise 2 hours a day not only because I like to but because well, it makes me feel good. I'd set a goal to workout twice a day on mon and tues but after a one day experience I let that goal go. More I am focusing on nutrition since the working out part I have pretty much down. And I also have a life and working out 2 hours a day fits right into that life.
  • michellthomas
    Options
    I can't imagine actually eating all those calories, as you said, I'm not that hungry but I know I have to feed my body to lose weight.
    I eat alot of filling, crunchy, chewy foods to satisfy the "eating" habit. Load up a bowl of healthy cereal with such things as a small handful of nuts, three cut up prunes, half a bananna, and 1 slice of apple or pear cut up. It might take you 20 minutes to eat but it fills you up and takes away that sudden urge. Snack on things like celery, fresh brocolli, cauliflower. They all give you the satisfaction of chewing and eating without alot of fat and calories. And always give yourself a cheat day where you dont monitor yourself too much. Most of dieting is learning to eat healthy and balancing it with a excerise schedule that you will stick to. Don't set your goals unrealistically as you will quit them.
    And get on here and write to us all, sorry about the zero response. I have done 100% better since I got on here and made friends that will yell at me if I need it, encourage me all the time, and be understanding because we're all here for the same reason!
  • Aprillsmith
    Options
    I have to get a handle on the diet and I think everything will be just fine. Im not at all a fan of vegetables though, esp cooked ones. The only vegetables I like are corn and potatoes (if corn is even actually a vegetable lol). I do like salads and some raw veggies and by some I mean carrots and celery. The most veggies I eat are on a subway or in a salad.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    You know, Aprillsmith, you are taking all these responses in great stride! Lots of people have posts like this and then are defensive of the responses. You must have a great attitude and that's half the battle! Here's to you and your journey :drinker: Keep up the great work and good luck!
    I agree 100%! She is so freakin nice! lol :wink:
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    Also remember that you don't HAVE to eat back all your net cals. In weight loss, a calorie deficit is key. As long as you're consuming 1500ish a day, you should be staying healthy.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    first of all, there is NO WAY you are burning 1,800 during exercise. in an hour of exercise you can at most burn 600 calories, and this isn't even true for most people. realistly, it's probably more like 500 calories for an hour of intense exercise. you need to take a look at how you're logging your exercise and make adjustments. maybe you really are working out for hours a day sweating your *kitten* off, but i kind of doubt it. if you are, i'm jealous that you have that much time on your hands. personally, i always underestimate my exercise calories because i'd rather not cheat myself.

secondly, don't eat just because you are under your calorie goal. only eat if you are hungry and need the energy to get through your workout. make sure the calories you eat are good calories (higher in fiber and protein, lower in sugars and carbs, etc.) and you should be ok.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    first of all, there is NO WAY you are burning 1,800 during exercise. in an hour of exercise you can at most burn 600 calories, and this isn't even true for most people. realistly, it's probably more like 500 calories for an hour of intense exercise. you need to take a look at how you're logging your exercise and make adjustments. maybe you really are working out for hours a day sweating your *kitten* off, but i kind of doubt it. if you are, i'm jealous that you have that much time on your hands. personally, i always underestimate my exercise calories because i'd rather not cheat myself.

secondly, don't eat just because you are under your calorie goal. only eat if you are hungry and need the energy to get through your workout. make sure the calories you eat are good calories (higher in fiber and protein, lower in sugars and carbs, etc.) and you should be ok.

Judgmental much? Nice blanket statements there. How do you know what people can burn in an hour? Depends on body size, intensity, etc.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    first of all, there is NO WAY you are burning 1,800 during exercise. in an hour of exercise you can at most burn 600 calories, and this isn't even true for most people.
    Did you read the thread? She burned 1809 calories in 3.08 hours, averaging 587 calories per hour.
  • miss_kisha
    miss_kisha Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    No I'm not on any diet pill, drink, or otherwise. Unless you count sugar free red bull. I definitely know I must get back to how I started and thats cooking, weighing, and measuring foods. I took a look back into my own diary and saw exactly how I stopped cooking and started eating too much fast foods. The two hour a day workouts are what I don't think I should change. However the diet leaves MUCH to be changed. And when it rains it pours is sooooo true. I reposted because I didn't get any response the first time and now I'm getting tons of them and I LOVE IT. I'm fairly new to the lifestyle change and while I have learned some I realize I have SO MUCH MORE to still learn

I love your honesty and willingness to learn and take advice from others... and your mild responses to some of these posts that would set some people off! :flowerforyou:
  • MaraDiaz
    Options
    @dad106: Oh, no worries there, I don't have a gym membership or a life right now. And I'm a much saner and nicer person when I'm not hungry all the time from having to keep my caloric intake too low. Really, if you only knew the favor I'm doing everyone around me by making this journey of mine about exercise and not diet. I get angry at the site of a salad with low fat dressing. And you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
  • Aprillsmith
    Options

Maybe you should take a look in my diary and it will give you an idea of my workouts. And yes, I have two hours a day to sweat my butt off in the gym and I do each and every time. I work a full time job and have two children but I still make time to get in the gym daily. Getting myself in shape is just as important for my children as it is for me. I'm setting an example for them and breaking the family obesity cycle. Most days my twins go with me.
    Secondly, my diet is my struggle but I'm working on that.