WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2011

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!ALL.
    Dealing with some stressful issues.Know I`m here when I can be.I enjoy reading the post.
    Have a good week-end!
    HUGS
    jane
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Haven't posted much lately but I'm still here and I love reading all the posts.... I still feel very much part of the group/thread/topic... whatever we are.... even if I'm not very vocal at the moment

Hope everyone is having as good a festive time as you can.... I am thinking of all those with ongoing struggles.... and am thankful for everything I have and can share.

:heart: Lisa:heart:
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Sorry computer malfunction and posted twice:grumble:
  • kathiemcn
    Options
    Hi all,

Great, as usual, to read all your posts.

I have just had two Christmas parties over the past two days, and so have gone over calories both days. Plus my Mum just brought over a big bowl of beautiful sweet red cherries...such a treat and so delicious, that I have a feeling I won't be able to resist them (but I will log them).

At my first Christmas party (at a restaurant) I had all three courses plus two glasses of red wine and had forgotten how yuk it feels to be that full...learnt my lesson. But in doing so I used over a day's calories in one meal :frown: At tonight's Christmas party they served up party pies, party sausage rolls, cocktail frankfurts and fruit for "dinner"....not filling and high in calories...fortunately I resisted the wine to try to keep the calories down.

BUT...I know it is Christmas season and I am not alone in this situation, as I know many of my "friends" on this site are facing the same challenges. Temptation in front of us everywhere and often very little choice as to what to eat. It really helps to know I am not the only one who is facing this right now. And I am comforted by the thought that if I lose very little, nothing, or even gain, at this time, I don't have to beat myself up, because I won't be the only one. Thank goodness for the community here and the non-judgemental support. :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies

Do you know, I've been eating far more just these past few days and was a bit scared to get on the scales this morning. I've lost another pound - heaven knows how and I really had no intention of losing more. I guess all this running around that I'm doing at present is burning more than I had counted on. For the moment I am not going to change my ticker - not with Christmas just a few days away.

I hope everyone is well. It's cold and wet here in London, although it was extremely frosty when I left home this morning. Walking across Hyde Park towards the gallery was chilly but enchanting.

I'm wading through orders, so I'd better get back to them.

Have a good weekend everyone.
    Love
    Amanda x
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning all,:flowerforyou:

@birdiem....hope things get less busy for you, ...

@sallycc...good for you, ONE thing at a time should help with the stress...

@cathys01....hope your youngest granddaughter is getting better, and that you enjoy the mani/pedi with the older gdaughter

@msh0530...how wonderful that mommy and baby are home..remember to take care of yourself as well..

@kennsu....susan we are hear to listen , come as often as you can....

@itamatgo...i recent found out that i will require hip surgery down the road, so walking for exercise is out for me, i do biking or spinning, which also help with my knee issues...as to my weight loss, WHAT weight loss!!!

@thumper59...welcome...i have not been resisting the urge to have the goodies, i just try and have less than i use to...good luck

@macmadame...thanks for the info i will look into the ghrelin , i go crazy in the evenings...

@michele...i dont have a clue about the group thing either...

@janemartin02...hope your back is better, and the stresses goes away soon

@1960lisa....hope you are enjoying the holidays as well

@kathiemcn...you ARE not alone, we all are suffering to some extent the holiday goodie madness....hang in there

@tiarapants....are you logging your foods...sometimes when we see the numbers everything comes into place.....keep warm

i am off to the gym(the gym closest to me closed for remodel)so i have to drive a bit to get to the other one, its not so bad, but that gym doesnt offer as many classes as the one that go to, so i will be doing the bike for my cardio ...i ordered some dvds from netflix, so i might try some yoga later as well...have a lovely weekend all:flowerforyou:
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Well I am back. I have to change my ticker. I am the heaviest I have ever been and totally dividends with myself. I now weigh 156.4 pounds and am only five feet tall. I am starting again. I have a goal. my son is getting married next year and I need to drop thirty pounds.
    I feel tired Ll the time and my health is suffering. High blood pressure, etc.

so I am going to track food and try to exercise. this is my first day. I see a lot of the old members are still here. wish me luck or rather wish me willpower

Susan
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Well I am back. I have to change my ticker. I am the heaviest I have ever been and totally dividends with myself. I now weigh 156.4 pounds and am only five feet tall. I am starting again. I have a goal. my son is getting married next year and I need to drop thirty pounds.

so I am going to track food and try to exercise. this is my first day. I see a lot of the old members are still here. wish me luck or rather wish me willpower

Susan

:flowerforyou: Susan, I just got a call from a young friend who is just digging out after a return to drinking after years of sobriety. Her husband has left her and may divorce her, her young daughters are living with their grandma, and she has no job. I told her that today was the first day of her return to real life and assured her that she could rebuild her life one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: You can do the same thing with your return to healthy eating. Take it one day at a time and focus on what you want the most, not what you want at the moment. I hope you will check in with us so we can continue to support and encourage you.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: A wise person said that the success of an event depends less on what's on the table, and more on what's in the chairs. Stay focused on the people at events and the food will have less importance.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today we are doing an Isagenix cleanse day...it is a day for rest and renewal and my body and mind are welcoming it.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: my new warm boots are fabulous......I was looking forward to getting them so my feet would stay dry and warm and they've accomplished that, but they also make me warmer all over.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: At first they were slightly awkward to walk in and I walked slower but now, with practice, i can walk faster and today, just for fun, I tried running a bit. There are a lot of reasons I don't run, but I was happy to find that I have sufficient agility to run if I have to.:bigsmile:

:heart: :heart: I am reading a great new book "Younger Next Year for Women"..........it's about being as healthy as a 50 year old clear into your 80's and beyond. It sounds like the goal of all us on this thread. I tell you more about it another time.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Susan - What Barbie said plus what I repeatedly tell myself: the longest journey begins with a single step. Good to see you back!
  • smwert
    Options
    For the wishes and suport - thanks. I just came home from A Christmas party and only had coffee, fruit salad and laughing cow cheese. made a salad for supper . so I am having a good day so far!
  • Pam3
    Options

Susan

wishing you willpower and for all of us...good luck a glad you are back:flowerforyou:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi all"

Sorry I do not come in here too often. I am 60 and was wondering if any of you ladies use the wii Fit? I had a bit of a time with it. I do have a bad hip and will require surgery at some point. Also how is everyones weight loss coming> Mine is so slow.

I love my Wii Fit. I don't use it as much as I use to, but still get on it often. It is great.

Jeannie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Jane - so sorry you're dealing with stress right now. Just what you need during the holidays! Don't be like me and dig into the cookies!

You know something, the Wii says that I've gained weight, yet when I did my weekly weigh-in today, I didn't gain. Then again, I didn't lose, but not gaining to me is an accomplishment. I am trying to have soup (pretty low in calories, plus this way I don't have to cook) for dinner when I can to try to keep the calories down. Soup and some veggies.

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I think I'll do some pilates, haven't done that in a while

Susan - you CAN do it. Remember, even if it is slow, you'll get there.

barbie - I'll really be looking forward to you telling me about that book. Sounds interesting. Wonder if it's something that I should download to my iPod? Well, I'll wait for your review first.

Sorry for this being so short.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!:flowerforyou:

I'm glad I am not the only one feeling poopy at this time. Mom has been especially difficult this last month and it doesn't look like it is getting any better.:frown: Yesterday was a horrible day and it started first thing in the morning. I prepared mom's oatmeal, yogurt, milk and fruit for breakfast. I gave it to her and then went back in the kitchen to clean up and then went and took a shower. Well because she was watchng tv and not paying attention to the food I brought her, it wasn't unitl after I was in the shower that she noticed she didn't have a spoon. So the entire time I was in the shower she was screaming at the top of her lungs for me. I of course could not hear her. So when I got out of the shower and was toweling off that was when I heard her. I yelled back at her asking what she wanted and she said a spoon. I finished getting dressed quickly and got her the spoon. Well when I walked into the room she was there, with her fingers in the bowl eating her oatmeal with them. Oatmeal was everywhere!:noway: On her face, fingers, hands, blouse, bed....It was a mess! I was furious! I asked her what possessed her to eat with her fingers like an animal??? She said, "Well you didn't give me a spoon." I told her you could have waited unitl I got out, got you a spoon and rewarned your oatmeal!" She lauged at me and said," What was the big deal." I couldn't believe it! I almost lost it. The rest of the day it just went down hill from that point on. Later in the evening when a friend came over to watch a show with me and have dinner, my mom was acting up again, throwing a temper tantrum with her there. I had to clean her, take her to the commode, do a diaper change, all while she argued and fought with me the ENTIRE time! My friend could hear us in the other room. I never got to watch the show with her or eat with her for that matter. By the time I got out there, I was so exhausted I couldn't even eat. I went into the bathroom and closed the door sat on the toilet and cried my eyes out feeling sorry for myself. :sad: Later my friend said, "I don't know how you do this day after day. I hate seeing you go through this.Everyone else comes home and can relax sit down and watch tv and you have to go directly into her room and go through that ordeal every night. I couldn't do that. You need help or your going to go crazy" She then cried too and said she wished she could do something for me, as listening to the whole ordeal had upset her. I was exhausted.

Last night we had real high, strong winds, and my apartment is next to a banner and the flag was making all this racket, things were blowing all over the place. It even blew one of my flower pots off the patio table. Boo and I went to bed and as usual, Scout slept in the living room. Well all the noise the wind was creating caused Scout to freak out and was barking. So I had to get up and get him to sleep with Boo and I. (Which Boo did not apprecaite one bit. She considers my queen size bed entirely hers. When he came in she growled at him. I had to play referee to them both. Finally, I went to bed at 2am. Now I am up again and can't sleep. And they both are in thee sleeping with their heads on my pillows!:yawn: I took a pill to help me sleep a little more which is finally kicking in. so I will leave now and try to rest some more.

Chiclet:flowerforyou:

Reading this made me feel sad in several different ways. One: I remember going through the same exercises when my son was a child. I understood that he had to learn how to be independent and tried to understand his viewpoint. As a grandmother of his son I am repeating the process of his not being on my timeframe and wanting what he wants, NOW! Now, I'm a bit worried about, as I age, I too will start becoming more dependent on him and his wife as my executive facitilites wane as a senior. I can only hope they will have patience and understanding that it is not my will to become demented or cognitively impaired, but can treat me as an individual who is in an adult body, but with the mind of the child that they once were.

I don't mean this to be a put-down to you by any means......please don't take it that way......but try to see things from your mother's perspective. Yes, she's an adult, but her mind has reverted back to not being able to take care of herself. She is so lucky that she has you to look after her needs. It's not easy, by any means, but it's also hard for her. I don't know what kind of relationship you have (or had while you were growing up), so I cannot judge you (and wouldn't even if I did know all the facts...that's not my place). But I applaud you for what you are doing, and hope that by suggesting you appreciate her limitations, that it will lighten your burden and make caring for her a little easier. God Bless.
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Mind if I join y'all? Just joined MFP and think I see a lot of similar lives to mine here. Tell me to butt out if need be. :)

December is always hard. HARD HARD HARD. Hard emotionally, hard, physically, and hard food wise. At least it is for me. Here's to surviving it in style!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Mind if I join y'all? Just joined MFP and think I see a lot of similar lives to mine here. Tell me to butt out if need be. :)

December is always hard. HARD HARD HARD. Hard emotionally, hard, physically, and hard food wise. At least it is for me. Here's to surviving it in style!
    Welcome, this is an open group of women who believe that we can all learn from each other and offer support and encouragement......the big bad world will be pushing food and drink this month, and the women here will encourage you to say no to all the temptation.

Barbie from NW Washington

November goal
    walk for at least an hour every day with the frisky poodles no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy
    [img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • Pam3
    Options
    Hi all,

welcome, this is a great group, you can find encouragement, you can vent, you can support, or do whatever.....welcome and good luck:flowerforyou:
  • smwert
    Options
    I too feel bad for Chiclet and totally understand. we went through the same things with my father. Can you not get someone to relieve you sometimes? Just before my dad passed we were considering a home before he killed my mother too! .she was exhausted. Remember care for the caregiver first! my sister, brother and I took turns coming to stay over so she could get a night of uninterrupted sleep. he slept all day and wanted attention all night! it was a hard time for all, but happily his suffering ended and when he passed he thanked everyone for looking after him. I miss him - I mean the old him before the sickness.

on A happier note I started my diet yesterday and am down 3 today. I know that it is water weight but it is sure encouraging,
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP too. Glad to see this thread for 50 plus women. I am trying to make this whole process uncomplicated so for my December goal I will use my recumbent bike for 30 minutes 3 times for the remaining weeks in December. :smile:
  • smwert
    Options
    welcome. good challenge. I will join you on my eliptocal!