Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Did you just start therapy? Your posts have the tone of someone who just started therapy/working through their stuff. That makes it a little less annoying.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I do not want to excuse the parents, however food is expensive. Before I joined this site, I didn't eat the healthiest . (MY sons are adults) Since I joined my food bill, for healthy food has doubled. and it takes a ot of time to cook it. Honestly, if I were working I couldn't do it.. I believe several factors are involved, Money, time. metabolism. There was little fast food when I grew up, no technology and children ran, ride bikes and played outside. There were few overweight children, I remember none. None of us sat in front of a video game or computer. Yes , we did eat healthier. There a many children who eat "Junk". they are involved in sports and may have a good metabolism. All my friends eat fast food, none are overweight. Sp, it may be the genes. You are correct, fast food is not nutritious, but not every child becomes overweight. I really do not think it is fair to blame being overweight solely on the parents. This is just my experience. BTW, I am 60.
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Young or old we eat what we want. Filling the refrig with fruits, vegs, low fat whatever, Isn't going to stop school trading and just plain not eating. How healthy is not eating at all? Children are influenced more out of the house then in. It's called fitting in or finding persons like themselves. At any age we can decide when we want to control how much we eat 14 or 40. Blaming other people for our own choices is like saying we are not in control of ourselves. "Only I can hurt me, should I choice". Power, will and choice are ours to control.

LOL I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. :) I think parents play a HUGE role in how there children eat. Yes, they may not eat the most nutritiousness stuff when they are around, but parents still control what goes on the dinner table and what they serve them for breakfast, snacks, etc. And when a parent teaches a child about good nutrition and teaches a kid to make healthy food choices it has lasting effects.

That's all true as far as it goes. But it's far from that simple. My mom was a stay-at-home mom who cooked a nutritious meal for us every night and we ate together. Fast food was a treat my grandmother took us out for, mostly on Christmas eve. We had soda only in the car on vacation. (I KNOW! What kind of masochist gives kids beverages on a long car trip so you have to stop every 50 miles for them to pee!?! But that's another story! LOL) Of the three of us kids, I had the healthiest diet because I like virtually everything, so I usually ate all my vegetables and such, something my siblings often passed up. We were not required to eat things we didn't like, though we were required to try things. My two siblings were stick-skinny, as were my two cousins who my mom raised for a while. I was not a "fat" kid, nor even overweight I see now from pictures of all of us at the time. I was a bit more filled out than my sibs. This alarmed my mom and grandmother and as a result I grew up believing I was HUGE. I still have that mental picture of myself as this gigantic child, so a few years ago when my mom died and we went through old pics I was amazed to see the perfectly normal-sized child I was. I'd never really looked before--until the people who had told me I was fat had died. My mom and grandmother placed my on every weight-loss diet available at the time, including "The Drinking Man's Diet," (at age 10!!!) an early low-carb diet that encouraged all kinds of unhealthy eating habits! Never was it mentioned that I should eat healthy--in fact I did that without encouragement--but I was told that no one would want me when I got older unless I was pretty, and pretty always meant very thin. (This was the 60s and early seventies when beauty was looking like "Twiggy.") As a result, this perfectly normal sized child began yo-yo dieting before she was ten. I'd do these diets they put me on, lose a few pounds I couldn't keep off because I wasn't actually overweight in the first place, then put them back on, only to be placed on another diet to repeat this. Looking over the years, I wasn't actually overweight until my thirties, where the yo-yo dieting and disability caused me to gain weight and actually become the fat girl I'd always believed I was. I quit smoking in my forties and became actually obese--for the first time--though I had believed I was profoundly obese for as long as I can remember.

Now I'm disabled and exercise like I used to enjoy isn't an option for me, and cooking isn't really an option most days either. So I eat the healthiest prepared-food I can and set my UP to get me up and away from my desk and moving a couple times an hour. I lost 80 pounds before I found MFP. In fact I found it looking for a way to restart the weight loss when after 80 pounds lost I just...stalled out. So far, I'm still stalled, but slowly I'm realizing that it's not about weight loss, it's about eating as healthy as I can manage and liking me right now--as I am. I see so many profile pics here that are shots of just a torso without head and face and I think, "Is a skinny waist what's REALLY important? BTW, I love your profile pic, Stacy, because you're looking at the camera, looking at us, and that facilitates me knowing you as a person and not as a size.

So parents are certainly the most important factor in a child's health, but it's not as simple as "eat this, don't eat that." If a child doesn't believe s/he is valuable and beautiful no matter what, all the healthy food in the world won't help.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with putting overweight children on "diets" because it ruins them mentally. My sister and I have very different body types and though we're both active and healthy now, growing up we were like night and day. I was skinny and tall and she was short and chubby. My mom would try to get her to lose weight by restricting her foods and she would just sneak more. I honestly have no idea how this affected her because she seems very level-headed about it now but it made me think my mother was judging my weight from a very young age. I assumed that because my mom was bad mouthing my sister's appearance that she was talking about me, too. All through middle school and high school I "dieted" off an on by skipping meals, and concocting "cleanses" so I wouldn't be "fat like my sister."

I do think feeding children crap all day every day is just as bad as not feeding them because they are malnourished in both cases. On the other hand I think healthy choices should be emphasized and this comes from educating both the parents and the children. As for people with little access to fresh food or have less means to buy them, the SNAP program (food stamps) needs to be revised to provide basic foods like canned (low sodium) veggies & beans, frozen and fresh produce, 100% juice and bottled water, and lean meats not "meat products." No more assistance for oreos and soda, that's ridiculous.

I agree 100% that children should not be put on diets (although there are always extreme cases of obese children but I am talking about just a regular scenario where a child eats less healthy than they should) but that does not mean that a parent cannot change their child's diet to be more healthy without putting their kids on a diet.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I also would like to add that I ate healthy as my Mom and Nana cooked every day. My Nana made everything from scratch. I , however, due to time restraints did eat fast food, and rarely if ever, cooked. My sons, do eat fast food on occasion. They have never had a weight issue. They are 35 and 37. Perhaps it is in the genes.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    When you're a kid you're not born knowing what a proper meal should look like or what a portion size should be, we only know what we are shown and taught by our parents. It all starts when we are kids. If we learn bad eating habits and are never taught right, it's something we have to struggle with and try to over come when we are adults, which makes it a thousand times more difficult.

Do you realize that your parents were not educated on nutrition....and many parents aren't this day and age as well. It's all about education and instead of assuming people just know, offering guidance and healthy ideas is much more productive than making a post that somewhat paints many parents as just not giving a damn or ignoring the issue.
  • spookiewon
    Options
    Just posting that parents should be healthier doesn't help the problem. You've posed no solution to the problem other than 'parents should do better'. The problem is far more complex than that and acting like it's a simple matter is, in my opinion, a disservice.

Don't be so myopic. One doesn't have to have a mapped out strategy plan to call attention to a problem. Sometimes just starting a dialog about an issue can be helpful and plant some seeds. :)
    Exactly!
    And it's not like they don't know what to do already - we all did long before we took ownership of our health.
    Eat less - move more!

There's the solution.:drinker:

Would that it really were that simple. Alas, it really isn't.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with putting overweight children on "diets" because it ruins them mentally.

You are correct here. Except in cases where it has become life threatening the medical recommendation is to simply begin feeding the child a normal healthy diet, not a low calorie diet, and to encourage exercise. And that is should be for the entire family, even if only one child is overweight.

Sadly, most children's hospitals in the US now offer bariatric surgery for children where obesity has been allowed to become life threatening. And many are filled to capacity.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I think parents are the biggest influence in a child's diet, but in my household, it was more about body image. My mother was so afraid her 3 girls would be overweight like she was that she forbid sweets & grilled us about our weight. Not surprisingly, this led to secret binges, then guilt, then years of bulimia.

Love is key. Love your child, regardless of his/her weight. Educate your child on healthy choices & the reasons to choose them. Be a good role model in your own diet. Enjoy occasional treats with your children. Make some sweets available daily so they don't feel the need to be greedy or eat in secret. I have 2 boys & keep sweets available. They rarely choose to eat them.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Did you just start therapy? Your posts have the tone of someone who just started therapy/working through their stuff. That makes it a little less annoying.

No... still annoying.
  • cassiemk85
    cassiemk85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My daughter will be 3 this Christmas Eve and is a picky eater. If it was up to her, she would survive on Chicken Nuggets and French Fries. I would never allow that. I make sure she gets her veggies and fruits, and fresh, home made meals daily. Does she get Mcdonald's as a SPECIAL treat once in a great while?? Sure! Because it is a special TREAT, not a means of feeding my child once a week. I dont agree with complete deprivation of junk foods, thats how binging starts. She gets candies and Mcdonald's but as a once in a while type thing. I am morbidly obese desperately trying to lose weight and be healthy to be a positive role model for my daughter. I also am very poor and if I can afford to cook at home, so can everyone else. Healthy eating habits are formed within the first 5 years of life. to those who say it is the children who form their choices, you have seriously got to be kidding me. A 1 year old has say in what they are fed? Probably freakin' not.Yes, kids can be picky eaters and thats fine, that is completely NORMAL. But just remember, you dont need to constantly CATER to their requests of Chicken strips for every single meal. A child will NEVER go hungry! If they are hungry enough, they will eat what is given!! We, as a nation, have to change the way we have been programmed into filling our bodies full of saturated fats and gorging on unbelievably large portions, and it starts by educating our children, RIGHT NOW.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

No... still annoying.

:laugh:
  • robynluvsjesus
    robynluvsjesus Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree. We went from one extreme to another in my house. I was so confused and would hoard junk food because I thought it would be taken away. Finding the balance is the key.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love how people blame so much on there child hood when they have been out of it for so long. If you are over 18 and you are on this site worry about yourself take responsiblity for your own actions and move on

Seconded.

Also, I love how people who are not parents can even think they have any clue what its like. MYOB, IMO.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    also, the opposite is not the best way.
    I grew up fighting over sweets with my older brother, because our mom never bought them to us, she didn't want us to get fat and ruin our teeth.
    When we got them as present we would always fight about who got more...
    So i became selfish and when i'm eating chocolate or something it's like i'm afraid my brother is going to eat it instead, and there will be no chocolate left for me.
    This is why I gained weight.
    Now that i'm older and i'm living alone, i make all the food decisions by myself, i can have all the junk food i want... but still there's that "child nature" in me.
    of course, children like sweets, but making them available will maybe make children crave them less... and not care about the candy drawer.
    oh and by the way, my brother is overweight now too, the reason i'm slim is that i'm watching what i eat.
    so it affected both of us.

This is somewhat true too. You need to have moderation. If you only have junk food or only healthy food it doesn't teach childrent moderation. They will eat what is familiar and splurge on what is withheld.
  • spookiewon
    Options
    What I don't understand is people saying that fast food is cheaper. I grew up the youngest of six kids, on just Dad's income as a mechanic. I never felt like we were "poor" (we were, but my folks were good at stretching dollars) but there's now way we could have afforded McDonalds or pizza at every meal. In fact, on those rare occasions we had McD's, my Dad would go to the drive thru and get burgers, while Mom stayed home with us and cooked her own fries. A couple potatoes, or even a big bag of Oreida, is a lot cheaper than eight small fries! Not to mention that a gallon of KoolAid is way way way cheaper than eight soft drinks. For that matter, homemade burgers are a lot less expensive than even dollar menu burgers, and way tastier now that I'm not a dumb kid. But it was a special treat for us to get McDonalds, and they gave in once in a while.

Just about all the meals I cook for my husband and myself cost around $5 for the two of us. You can get a lot of meals out of a Big Pack of chicken breast ($1.99/pound on sale), a bag of mixed frozen veggies ($1.79 for 16oz bag for store brand) and box of dry pasta or rice ($.99 for 16oz on sale or store brand). Add some kind of sauce/marinade for flavor, and you have a balanced tasty and FILLING meal. On the other hand, if we each got a burger, fry and drink from the dollar menu, we'd be talking $6 and I know damn well neither one of us would be satisfied.

yep have to agree with you! there is noway could be able to afford fast food most nites. you sound like me can make a good meal out of a few pounds :D i also love the task of trying to be inventive with my meals and getting it under a certain amount but that could be just me :laugh:

This is assuming you don't have to catch the bus to the grocery store, and pay a jitney to drive you home with said groceries. You also left out the price of "some kind of sauce". 5.00 at the market is fine for two people, but what about when there's a third, fourth or fifth someone?

Also, yes, when we were growing up McDonald's was much more expensive. No dollar menu!

Eating healthy isn't cheaper. Fresh veggies and fruits are VERY expensive. You also have to consider the time and energy to prepare this healthy food. It's to be encouraged, but it IS difficult, and expense reflects more than price.
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    You can feed a family of 5 very well on $500. Our budget for 4 people for a month is $500, but that includes our food, cleaning supplies, toiletries, alcohol, and dog food. My family is not going hungry, there is plenty of food in the house for the humans and animals. I do get the point that they can't phsyically get to a decent store - I have gone to the food desert stores - disgusting is the only way I can describe it.

I live in New York, and my budget for food for just my fiancee and I is $400 a month. That's just food, it doesn't include any other house stuff. We eat healthy food at home, and thankfully I have a good job and can afford it. If I lived in NYC where I work, my monthly food budget would EASILY be double that. Food isn't cheap everywhere, but even going off your quote, $500 a month is a lot of money for some people. More than many can afford.

What are you talking about I live in the village and I feed my self on like 50 bucks a week....
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

No... still annoying.

:heart:
  • cmgehrke
    cmgehrke Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Watch "Food Inc."