Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I agree because my mum over fed me and my siblings until we were all obese. Not 'bad' food just WAY TOO MUCH. That being said, i now have a 2 yr old and a 12 week old and my 2 yr old is so fussy atm. I'm grateful when she eats anything, i don't care what it is. Sometimes it's harder then it seems

I agree. My son barely eats chicken nuggets. I try to feed him healthy, but I rather he eat something than starve.

Also, my uncle did not let his kids drink soda at all when they were growing up unless at their friend's brithday parties, and then, only clear soda. He also never let them have snacks. Now, they are 13 and 14, and they sneak in soda and treats into their house. They take treats from my grandmother's or their friends' houses, stuff them in their coats, and hide them in their room. If he would have let them eat these things once in a while, they would not be sneaking all these things now, and it makes me wonder, what else are they going to try to sneak in because of this?
  • maysflower
    Options
    I think it is important for all parents to teach their children good eating habits, but things are different now from when I was a child. When I was a kid, there was 1 McDonald's in the town I lived in. Now there is a fast food joint on every corner. Also our lifestyles are different. I grew up with my mom not working, so she had the time to make healthy meals and snacks. We need 2 incomes to live so I am working full time. I don't have the time to always make healthy meals and snacks. Do I keep chips, pop, candy in the house...no I don't.

I do also believe in teaching my daughter how to live a healthy balanced lifestyle without depriving herself of the foods she does like. I show her that it is okay to eat McDonald's, but we have to walk to and from the restaurant. No driving. It's okay to eat popcorn while watching a movie, but we share a the bag. It is okay to eat chocolate, but let's go for walk or play outside afterwards.

This is a balanced healthy lifestyle. I will not deprive my daughter of any foods she wants, instead I will show her how to incorporate those foods into her diet and still be healthy.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    what about the parents that don't have access to a grocery store? or, if there's one close by, they have to take their 5 kids under the age of 10 on the bus (which costs money) and transfer a few times? or, if there's no money for the bus, they have to walk 3 miles in the snow with their kids because there's no babysitter? or, if there's a babysitter available, how are they going to pay for it when they don't have a job and are on food stamps?

perhaps there's not a grocery store nearby, but a convenience store that sells canned junk? that's where most of the people that i work with do their GROCERY shopping.

junk food keeps kids fuller longer. for me, a big mac meal is going to keep me fuller than a piece of fish and some vegetables. parents buy their kids junk food in the area i work with BECAUSE of this. if they have a set amount of food stamps - let's say 500 a month, because that seems to be the average around my area for a family of 5 (an adult and 4 kids) - junk food is simply going to fill them up longer. many of the families i work with, who are absolutely destitute - once that food stamp money is gone, that's it. i had a mother tell me she was going to go sell plasma to try to get her child a nice Christmas dinner. my hubby and i easily spend 400 a month on food for the two of us, and we mainly buy generics and on sale.

and activity, sure. what about the gangs that shoot people? around here, that's pretty normal. or people who just mug you on the street. there are rec centers, but they cost money to enroll. most parents that i work with don't want their kids outside unless they're home.

education is key here. parents simply need to be educated on the choices for their kids, and access to nutritious foods needs to be improved, particularly in urban areas. and calling this child abuse? no. i work with kids who have been raped by their fathers, had the crap beaten out of them, neglected, been crack babies, etc. that's abuse. this is simply lack of education and lack of access to nutritious foods. unless you've been in this situation (maybe you have, i was just too upset to read through the whole thing) don't bother calling it abuse.

/gets off soapbox
    ABSURD!
    No wonder America has become the fattest nation on Earth.

We excel at making excuses.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't take offense to the original post and I also don't find it annoying. It's clearly an emotional thing for her to discuss with us. She feels upset and I don't blame her. Parents do influence their children's eating habits. They don't control every aspect of their child's eating, but they do set the tone (and, as others have posted, parents can also be too restrictive). As a parent who frequently does buy fast food, my personal perspective is that not all fast food is created equal... not to mention, there are other things to consider like portions... how much sugar the children are eating... how much activity the children are getting... and how they are being nurtured, emotionally.

That said, being a parent is really difficult. Particularly if you are struggling to get by, financially, or a single parent. Parents are sometimes choosing the lesser evils in the moment, as they struggle to find stability. I do think the post, upset and all, was well-intended though and makes a great point - as a parent, be a "conscious eater" for yourself and your children. And if you aren't educated on the subject of food, it's a good goal to work towards.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't take offense to the original post and I also don't find it annoying. It's clearly an emotional thing for her to discuss with us. She feels upset and I don't blame her. Parents do influence their children's eating habits. They don't control every aspect of their child's eating, but they do set the tone (and, as others have posted, parents can also be too restrictive). As a parent who frequently does buy fast food, my personal perspective is that not all fast food is created equal... not to mention, there are other things to consider like portions... how much sugar the children are eating... how much activity the children are getting... and how they are being nurtured, emotionally.

That said, being a parent is really difficult. Particularly if you are struggling to get by, financially, or a single parent. Parents are sometimes choosing the lesser evils in the moment, as they struggle to find stability. I do think the post, upset and all, was well-intended though and makes a great point - as a parent, be a "conscious eater" for yourself and your children. And if you aren't educated on the subject of food, it's a good goal to work towards.

WELL SAID!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter what you do, because your kids will blamb you for it later anyways.
  • brittanyleigh05
    Options
    My daughter will be 3 this Christmas Eve and is a picky eater. If it was up to her, she would survive on Chicken Nuggets and French Fries. I would never allow that. I make sure she gets her veggies and fruits, and fresh, home made meals daily. Does she get Mcdonald's as a SPECIAL treat once in a great while?? Sure! Because it is a special TREAT, not a means of feeding my child once a week. I dont agree with complete deprivation of junk foods, thats how binging starts. She gets candies and Mcdonald's but as a once in a while type thing. I am morbidly obese desperately trying to lose weight and be healthy to be a positive role model for my daughter. I also am very poor and if I can afford to cook at home, so can everyone else. Healthy eating habits are formed within the first 5 years of life. to those who say it is the children who form their choices, you have seriously got to be kidding me. A 1 year old has say in what they are fed? Probably freakin' not.Yes, kids can be picky eaters and thats fine, that is completely NORMAL. But just remember, you dont need to constantly CATER to their requests of Chicken strips for every single meal. A child will NEVER go hungry! If they are hungry enough, they will eat what is given!! We, as a nation, have to change the way we have been programmed into filling our bodies full of saturated fats and gorging on unbelievably large portions, and it starts by educating our children, RIGHT NOW.

Amen. They'll eat if they're hungry...which is also why we never force my nephews to finish what's on their plates.

Good luck on your journey. :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about I live in the village and I feed my self on like 50 bucks a week....

I'm certain living there you know of better places to find deals than I do since I just work there and don't do much shopping, and $50 a week is $400+ a month for two people. I work downtown, and have gone grocery shopping in a pinch at the food emporium at Union Square a few times. Depending on what I purchased (fresh fruits and veggies cause more of a jump than canned goods and meats, for example) my bill would be twice again as much as or more than I would expect to pay at the Hannaford near where I live. That's what I'm basing my speculation on.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have a REALLY picky eater at home too. She's 9, and is NOT an adventurous eater. However, she's picky in an extremely weird (at least I think so) way. She doesn't eat many of the "kid staples" a lot of us grew up on. Peanut butter sandwich? No way. Pizza? Only cheese, with no sauce. Hamburgers? No Thanks. Mac and Cheese? Only once in a great while.

She loves fruit, steak, pork chops, and chicken, broccoli, white and brown rice, and (strangely) Tofu. She'll eat fish, sometimes -- mostly farm-raised salmon, but she doesn't like the stronger flavor of wild salmon.

Sure, she loves the usual junk foods, chips, hot dogs, french fries, but even then, she's just not a big eater.

Our biggest problem is getting enough calories with good nutrients in her in the first place. However, we're chary of telling her "eat, eat", because control issues over food, especially with girls, can lead to later eating disorders, IMO. Anyhow, kids are weird.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree. My son barely eats chicken nuggets. I try to feed him healthy, but I rather he eat something than starve.

Toddlers only starve when deprived of all food. They simply do not have the mental capacity to actually go on a hunger strike. They may fuss about it, but when they get hungry enough they will eat what's given them. By giving in to the fussing and offering unhealthy foods all you are really doing is teaching him how to control you.
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Fast food is cheaper than cooking at home if you have 2 or less people to feed, 2 Double Cheeseburgers and 2 Fries are only $4, or used to be. not defending anyone, just saying.

it would cost less than $4 to make 2 cheeseburgers at home, and they could have less fat, more veggie toppings, and the burgers would be thicker. Sure, you'd have leftover buns which can be frozen for later, and you'd have leftover cheese to use in other dishes, but the cost of just those 2 burgers and fries would be less.

And you could subtract the gas $ spent driving to get the fast food, unless you never go to the grocery store for other things, but you know you do.

Seriously you can make burgers for $4? Bloody hell our food is damn expensive on this side, decent patties would cost you $7.5 and that excludes the toppings, buns and basting

Yes. Lean ground beef is about $4 a lb. So $2 for meat for 2 quarter lb burgers.

But unless you have a coupon or there is a special running you will not get a 2 fast food burgers and fries for $4. And if you start talking about decent sized burgers in a restaurant, well then you are talking closer to $20.

That's simply not true. Currently on McDonalds Dollar menu: McDouble cheeseburger=$1.00. Small Fries=$1.00 Two McDoubles and two small fries = $4.00. No coupon needed and it's the current, non-special, pricing directly from McDonald's website. It's a bad choice, but it is a meal for two for $4.00, as stated, and your meal with it's $2 for just the patties will cost more in money and in time. It's more than possible for someone to be unable to afford your healthy alternative and be able to afford meals from the various fast food dollar menus. In fact, that is the problem in a nutshell. It's just not feasible for some people to eat these healthy alternatives. We do need to avoid being judgmental about the difficult choices we're all having to make in these troubled economic times.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You know I was trying to start a kids bootcamp with a bootcamp I worked for. I think when the winter is over-my mom gave me an idea for something. Someone did it where she lives. Do a marathon with kids. So you do about 1-2 miles/day 2-3 days a week. You pick out a 5k to sign up for and then you run the 23.1 miles before the race broken up. Then on the day of the 5k you finish out the marathon. Then all the parents pay for is the 5k. It would be so great to be able to get kids out there. Funny because I just posted about how when I do my home workouts my kids like to do them with me-hahaha
  • xomissheatherox
    Options
    Young or old we eat what we want. Filling the refrig with fruits, vegs, low fat whatever, Isn't going to stop school trading and just plain not eating. How healthy is not eating at all? Children are influenced more out of the house then in. It's called fitting in or finding persons like themselves. At any age we can decide when we want to control how much we eat 14 or 40. Blaming other people for our own choices is like saying we are not in control of ourselves. "Only I can hurt me, should I choice". Power, will and choice are ours to control.

LOL I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. :) I think parents play a HUGE role in how there children eat. Yes, they may not eat the most nutritiousness stuff when they are around, but parents still control what goes on the dinner table and what they serve them for breakfast, snacks, etc. And when a parent teaches a child about good nutrition and teaches a kid to make healthy food choices it has lasting effects.

Growing up I ate what my parents made. I have always been chubby. When I went into foster-care I had a home with a Boulder-ite, she fed me mostly fruits and vegetables, soda and candy, fast food, the “Average American Diet” was not allowed in her house. She walked in the morning a few times a week and I had to go with her, and after school she put me into sports, soft-ball and basket-ball when the other was off season. I lost a lot of weight while I was with her and felt really good. After my mom got her act together I was allowed to move back in with her, thus taking on her lazy life style and eating habits. I went from 120 lbs to 220 lbs in less than a year. I never made the connection when I was a kid; I never understood I just thought it was the way things were.

As an adult I have changed my lifestyle, and my children are both very thin. They are allowed to eat whatever is in the house, whenever they want to, as much as they want. My son Collin prefers apples and pears as snacks, we try to give him protein shakes and Clif bars on a daily basis for help with his weight. My oldest is almost 8, 49 inches tall, and 50 lbs. My 6 year old is 45 inches tall and 40 lbs. My best friend has a 3 year old who is 40 inches tall and weighs 47 lbs. She is not over-weight she is just ‘chubby’ like both of her parents. She is half the age of my youngest and weighs almost 10 lbs more than he does. That is HUGE at this age. I know what they feed her, usually it’s a Kid Cuisine for dinner, pancakes and sausage, eggs for break fast, etc etc. No fresh fruits or veggies, no whole grains, lots of processed foods, meats and dairy, and lots of eating out.

It IS taught to us by our parents, we are leaning from the day we start eating. If our parents are teaching us processed, high-fat foods and to sit on the couch and watch tv, yeah you are going to be over-weight and obese. If you teach your kids: fruits, vegetables, whole grains, minimal fat, and to be active, you will have healthy children who grow into healthy adults.

As an adult, it is VERY hard to learn to do something new. Very hard to change something you have done all of your life. As an adult, even if you are “over 18” you are still programmed to eat a certain way and in my personal experience, it takes YEARS to learn to do something new, even if it is something you are motivated to do.

In America, if you eat out or eat at home, you still get high-calorie, high-fat foods. You have to be careful, be knowledgeable, and make smart decisions, even if you have not eaten all day and are starving, don’t eat at McDonalds. Nothing makes it okay to eat a handful of 500 calories (fries).

In high school they were more interested in teaching me about sex then teaching me about food. I had to get into a nursing program and take a nutrition class that opened my eyes to a lot about what I ate and how it affected me. Even then the books were teaching me to eat high-calorie high-fat foods but to burn it off. I shouldn’t have to work out for 2 hours every day of the week to eat food.

We as Americans are blinded to what we eat. It takes a lot of hard work and effort to make sure our children do not grow up to be over-weight.

I am proud to say as a mom (who is 237 lbs at this very moment) of 2 boys who are healthy, and in their “healthy” weight range. They prefer to have fruits and vegetables instead of chips and cookies for a snack, and would rather play in the park or run around instead of watch tv.

Education is KEY in our change as a country. It is not required for our doctors to take nutrition courses. Only 2% of schools that make doctors require the nutrition courses. It is NOT a requirement in elementary, middle, high school, or college to take nutrition courses, only certain degrees (like nursing) require it. We need to educate ourselves, and then help educate others.

It is required by law that public school lunches have a minimum of 600 calories. 600. The majority of school lunches are full of fried foods and pizza. Rarely do we find FRESH fruit and veggies. This is because it is HARD to get to 600 calories on whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables. On top of the fried fatty foods being given to our kids on a daily basis, the quality of it is poor.

A final note: Food for thought: The state of California spends more money on food for their inmates than the entire country of USA does on food for their students in all schools for one year. Scary?
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think it really just needs to be set in your kids mind from an early age. My co-worker has been an inspiration on raising kids. Her boy is only 2 but he loves fruits and vegetables. He was given them as soon as he could chew them. Recently he has started to learn what a "treat" is because of other kids at his daycare who get "treats" in their daily lunches. I don't think it's terrible to give your kid a daily treat, but make it healthy 6/7 days of the week. Cut up an apple with a tiny serving of carmel sauce. Make fruit and yogurt a "treat" then have ONE day of the week where they're allowed to pick whatever treat they want, be it a cookie or a serving of smarties.

Kids need to be taught everything in moderation. My kids sure will.
  • spookiewon
    spookiewon Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Toddlers only starve when deprived of all food. They simply do not have the mental capacity to actually go on a hunger strike. They may fuss about it, but when they get hungry enough they will eat what's given them. By giving in to the fussing and offering unhealthy foods all you are really doing is teaching him how to control you.

Partly true. I have a close friend whose (now grown and in her forties) daughter went days without eating as a child and had her pediatrician concerned. It turned out she was eating, they later learned. She was eating the cat's food when they fed the cat twice a day. Denying her cat food didn't make her eat, BTW. In the end they had to look the other way when she ate cat kibble. (And give the cat enough to share without going hungry.) (I know. I can't imagine it either.)
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love how people blame so much on there child hood when they have been out of it for so long. If you are over 18 and you are on this site worry about yourself take responsiblity for your own actions and move on

Seconded.

Also, I love how people who are not parents can even think they have any clue what its like. MYOB, IMO.

I'm sorry this is so rude just because I don't have kids, I still know the effect my diet as a child and how my parents treated food had on me so I do have clue. IMO.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    I always had to eat what was set before me, or go without.
    I was told however that it would still be there for me if I changed my mind.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I also worrying about that with my 2 year old niece because most of the time her overweight, fast-food junkie parents are feeding her with french fries, KFC, junk foods, candies instead of mashed vegetables. No wonder she gets fever, colds & cough very easily. I'm worried that she might face the same circumstances with my brother (her Dad) who suffer from hypertension at a very early age.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    My parents taught us healthy eating very young, and we had no video games and had to play outside. As a child and adolescent I was thin because of this. We didn't have treats in the house like sugary foods and high fat foods, as they were treats like you said. We had treats once in a while.

I remember always looking forward to Halloween xD
    So, as a child who was raised as the opposite as you, and for those who say the opposite of what you said is bad - I'm telling you, it's not.

I gained due to hectic working schedules in retail management and my own damn laziness. xD
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi

My childrens favourite meals are cod fillets baked with a sprinkle of parmesan served with broccili and baked potatoes, or a nice rare steak.

We taught them from birth that fast food is ok for a treat but they hate Mcdonalds (apart form the shakes) so if they are naughty we threaten to take them there for dinner lol

I have always advocated that no food is 'bad' as that leads to issues but everything in moderation. They both have a very heatlhy attitude to food as nothing has been denied them but both would choose strawberries or satsumas over sweets and chocolate so we must have done something right.

They are boys aged 9 and 11.
    martyxx

That's how I try to be with my kids. If you ban foods, kids like the all the more. I've taught my older daugher (who's five) a little about nutrition and also about why some foods are less healthy and should be eaten less often, but no food is banned and we take them to eat out as a treat.

Good tricks to get your kids to enjoy healthy foods include NOT eating junk when they're around and only eating healthy foods. My daughter demands salad every time she sees me eating salad. We do have junk food meal outings as a family on occasion e.g. eating at a fast food restaurant, the whole family eats the same junkfood, but we also go to other, healthier restaurants too and the kids eat the same kind of food at the same restaurants. Even though kids are also influenced by the food choices of other kids, it's totally wrong to dismiss the example they see of what their parents eat at home because that does have a huge influence.

Giving fruit as treats and rewards also helps them to see fruit as something desirable. I *really* like this taking kids to mcDs as a punishment lol for that exact reason. They pick up on your attitudes towards food so easily, you need to project the attitude you want them to have. If parents have bad attitudes towards food (whether that's excessive eating of junk, or eating disorder promoting kinds of attitudes) the kids will pick up on them, so parents need to sort their food issues out for the sake of the kids IMO.

Parents when they ban foods are giving the message "this food is extra special and you can't have any of it" well of course that's going to make them go out and eat it at the first opportunity. That message is made all the more strongly when the child sees the parent eating the banned food. So I sometimes eat healthy food while not letting my kids have any (until they ask me *reeeeeeeeeally* nicely then it's "oh, okay you can have some as a special treat.")

Also people need to remember that if you see kids out and about eating junkfood, it does NOT mean that the family give them that every day. Maybe it's a special treat, or an unusual situation. You don't see what that child eats at home unless you know the family very well.