Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    whoa! people are crazy. you know It's weird to tell kids to stop bickering but it's the same things adults do, attacking opposed to conversing. even if someone felt attacked by this thread, there is a way to express dissent sans personal attacks and outright anger. the culmination of this thread shows so much stupidity, and name-calling, it's quite pathetic.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I kind of figured there might be some opposition to what I said, and it makes me hesitant to post on this site. I'm one of those people that simply HATES drama and negativity. I never dreamed, though, that there would be so many hateful people on a topic I was hoping most of us would agree on.

I just logged on about 40 minutes ago and I'm shocked to find so many responses to this post (almost 400? WHOA!). I'm trying to get caught up on reading it, but it will take me a while. I'm a little unnerved at some of the venom that has come my way because of the post. But I will happily endure it if it helps even just one parent start to think about making healthier choices for their children.

Thank you to those who have given the words of encouragement! I really appreciate that. And though I probably won't be addressing everyone's comments (that would take me way too long lol) know that I'm reading what you all are writing and absorbing what you're saying.

I really am glad (though shocked) this post blew up like this. Even though there seems to be some negativity, the fact that there is such a response to this makes me hopeful that others care about this issue as well.

Thanks to everyone for your comments! :)

I think everyone who replied cares about this issue, just have different ideas about how to do it

The comments some people made about people taking responsibility for themselves after childhood is a very valid point - but I don't think it's fair to accuse everyone who says that factors in their childhood led to their weight problem of making excuses. Explaining why a problem is as it is, isn't making an excuse, it's identifying a reason. When you know the reasons why you have a problem you are a step closer to being able to fix it. Lots of people try to lose weight and repeatedly fail, because they haven't addressed and dealt with the underlying emotional issues that led them to have the problem in the first place. So there's nothing wrong with saying that childhood problems/parental attitudes etc are the cause of obesity in some adults - the difference lies in where those people go from there, i.e. address the problem, find a way to deal with it, and move on in a better way, versus wallowing in self pity over it. There's a huge middle ground between denying that childhood has any influence over us (which is not true at all!!) and wallowing in self pity over childhood issues/using it as an excuse for doing nothing (which I don't see anyone on the thread advocating! and the fact they're on this site at all means they're doing something about it!)

That is all very true.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I found this:
    http://www.choicesmagazine.org/2004-3/obesity/2004-3-02.htm

Article on the obesity epidemic around the world. It provides some interesting information about the possible causes of the problem and some of them will be surprising. Several studies are cited and I looked into those as well, I would recommend everyone do the same because there is a lot of information here and some interesting viewpoints.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Actually, it is my business what your kids eat. If you kids are too fat to work, end up on medicaid, and then get so fat they have a heart attack, we all pay for that with our taxes. Obesity is driving up the cost of health care in this country at an alarming rate. Type two diabetes hardly existed 40 years ago!

I grew up in the 60's and 70's when fast food was not the norm, parents still cooked dinner and families ate together, and type 2 diabetes was commonly referred to as "adult onset diabetes" because it was extremely rare for a child to contract it. Sadly nobody calls it that these days. I will never understand parents that try to justify feeding their children poorly.

Well, maybe you're onto something-- maybe we should address why parents don't cook dinner and families don't eat together anymore-- but to do that opens a whole 'nother can of worms-- working mothers.

You think people will get upset about being "attacked" for what their kids eat? Try suggesting that society's problems have more to do with latch-key kids and moms in the workforce.

Parental justifications don't just start and end with "feeding the children poorly" to use your quote...it's justifying why mom is working instead of being home taking care of the kids, and making sure they're eating right, cooking dinner and making sure the family dines together. Family vacations, nice homes, electronic gadgets, Nautica jackets, second cars.... 'the American dream' has come at the price of our children.

Whole' nother ball of wax....
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Maria, I agree with you 100%. Its nobodys business what someone else feeds their kids. Feed yours what you want and leave it at that.

Actually, it is my business what your kids eat. If you kids are too fat to work, end up on medicaid, and then get so fat they have a heart attack, we all pay for that with our taxes. Obesity is driving up the cost of health care in this country at an alarming rate. Type two diabetes hardly existed 40 years ago!

I grew up in the 60's and 70's when fast food was not the norm, parents still cooked dinner and families ate together, and type 2 diabetes was commonly referred to as "adult onset diabetes" because it was extremely rare for a child to contract it. Sadly nobody calls it that these days. I will never understand parents that try to justify feeding their children poorly.

Well, maybe you're onto something-- maybe we should address why parents don't cook dinner and families don't eat together anymore-- but to do that opens a whole 'nother can of worms-- working mothers.

You think people will get upset about being "attacked" for what their kids eat? Try suggesting that society's problems have more to do with latch-key kids and moms in the workforce.

Parental justifications don't just start and end with "feeding the children poorly" to use your quote...it's justifying why mom is working instead of being home taking care of the kids, and making sure they're eating right, cooking dinner and making sure the family dines together. Family vacations, nice homes, electronic gadgets, Nautica jackets, second cars.... 'the American dream' has come at the price of our children.

I have to agree with this.

My mother was able to work at my school when I was a child and spent a lot of time with me until a was in middle school when she got a full time job and I was fending for myself by 12.

Also, not just mothers in the work force but single mothers who not only work but have the full time job of taking care of their kid.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about this and I think that a lot to do with the obesity epidemic is lifestyle. My nan who's 73 eats things that I put on weight just looking at. Things like cakes, fried eggs Bacon bread, the list goes on but she's tiny. One thing I have noticed with her is she never stops she's always doing something and I think that makes a massive difference. She grew up in a time when there where no computers ect to sit infront of. She seems to do a little jog everywhere too plus has skipping (jump rope) competitions with my 6yr old and puts up a pretty good fight.

So I think that over the generations we have just got lazier and that has a major role to play in it too
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Annnnd why is "feeding the children" only the mother's responsibility? Ugh.

(Not to mention the number of households with only 1 parent--who's going to stay home and cook all day then?).
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    In the case of childhood obesity, it's pretty obvious. When my parents were children they were kicked out of the house at 8 am and came home when it got dark. Sometimes they were given food to eat while they were out playing in the form of bread and cheese.

When I was a child in the 1980s, I would go out at maybe 10 am on my bike in the holidays, come home for lunch, back out straight after. In the summer we would be running around outside all day, every day. And I was a fairly podgy child by the standards of the 80s, but would have been considered absolutely normal today.

Today children don't play out. You never see children playing in the street, nor in the fields in the countryside. You don't see 6-8 year olds cycling around without adult supervision. At least, not middle class ones. You occasionally see gangs of 8 year olds out causing trouble in London, but not in other towns, or the countryside. Going out is an occasional occurrence, an hour a day at most, whereas even 30 years ago, most children were outside running around 8 hours a day.

It's not the food that's at fault, it's modern culture. And food, but primarily modern culture. And computers. And video games. An hour on the Wii is NOT the same as running around outside. I wouldn't allow my children to have a Wii, or a playstation.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    In the case of childhood obesity, it's pretty obvious. When my parents were children they were kicked out of the house at 8 am and came home when it got dark. Sometimes they were given food to eat while they were out playing in the form of bread and cheese.

When I was a child in the 1980s, I would go out at maybe 10 am on my bike in the holidays, come home for lunch, back out straight after. In the summer we would be running around outside all day, every day. And I was a fairly podgy child by the standards of the 80s, but would have been considered absolutely normal today.

Today children don't play out. You never see children playing in the street, nor in the fields in the countryside. You don't see 6-8 year olds cycling around without adult supervision. At least, not middle class ones. You occasionally see gangs of 8 year olds out causing trouble in London, but not in other towns, or the countryside. Going out is an occasional occurrence, an hour a day at most, whereas even 30 years ago, most children were outside running around 8 hours a day.

It's not the food that's at fault, it's modern culture. And food, but primarily modern culture. And computers. And video games. An hour on the Wii is NOT the same as running around outside. I wouldn't allow my children to have a Wii, or a playstation.

I agree with you on the video games: it's hard, since my kid's only FOUR and the kids at his pre-k are already talking about PSP and stuff and he's curious. It will only get worse.

We bike pretty much everywhere when it's nice enough (he has a pedal-behind trailer off my bike) and a lot of people think I'm this crazy mom to let my son ride on the street. . .don't they remember riding on the street as kids? I never wore a helmet (did they even make them?) until I was an adult!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I confess, I still don't wear a helmet. I hate them.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

This ^^^

I live on a council estate and am lucky enough to have a green at the back of my flat where my daughter plays with her friends every evening in the summer (she's 6) but there is noway she can go any further than that alone. I find it sad as when I grew up in the 80s even though I was a little chunk I still lived on my bike and was very active if I was growing up now I would be the size of a cow lol.

As for games consoles we don't even own a computer (on here from my phone) which means they play games and run around instead of starting at a screan like mindless zombies.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    O m g this was an awesome message!! Thank you for posting! I totally agree!!!
  • mylittlefrog
    Options
    We are doing our best with our daughter. I don't want her to have the lifestyle that I did of entenmann's donuts and poptarts for breakfast or anytime of day she wants for that matter like my sister and I did. I'm happy to say that although she does get her share of fast food mostly chick-fil-a, she doesn't want anything to do with hamburgers, she gets lots of healthy stuff too. She LOVES apple fries and mandarin oranges and cheese sticks and has them along with other healthy things everyday. I'm glad to be giving her better foods than I had all while I change myself to eat more lilke what I give to her.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

I don't think it has much to do with the "American Dream". Most two income households I know don't do it for vacations, they do it just to get by. Where I live minimum wage is $7.50/ hour but for even a small 1 bedroom apartment it's going to run at least $700... add utilities for that and one person is working just to pay for the roof over their heads and nothing else.

But why is this all the mom's responsibility? Isn't dad a part here too? I'm a working mom, my husband's a SAHD. I'd be livid if he used the excuse "but I'm a man!" to feed our kids junk all the time. I actually pride ourselves on the fact that all of our dinners are taken at the table and most of them are homemade by me (crockpots FTW!). I realize this is somewhat of a dying art but I also understand why it is such a struggle for many families.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this.

My mother was able to work at my school when I was a child and spent a lot of time with me until a was in middle school when she got a full time job and I was fending for myself by 12.

Also, not just mothers in the work force but single mothers who not only work but have the full time job of taking care of their kid.

It is harder when you work or are a single parent. I know because from the time my daughters were very young I did both. I was a single working mom, occasionally working 2 jobs. I still prepared them healthy lunches (because the school served crap) and cooked dinner most days. Mostly I did it becuse when I had children I took a look at my diet and realized how horrible it was, even though I was quite thin. It wasn't that I didn't know what healthy food was, I just didn't really think about health when it was just me. But I've always seen being a parent as a huge responsibility. Everything I did would influence what kind of women these beautiful little girls became. So I did what I needed to do to keep them healthy and that included teaching to eat healthy and exercise regularly. And I couldn't be more proud of the results. They are both healthy, happy, successful women.
  • Marla64
    Options
    I'm talking about the root of the problem-- not the current trend many people find themselves in. yes, NOW, people feel they have to have two incomes to get by-- the root of the problem goes back decades to women entering the workforce to begin with. Now salaries are lower (compared to cost of living) because employers have generally assumed that there are two incomes to live on.

No, this is not all as packaged and tidy as I make it seem in my 30 second post-- however, the roots are long ago sown, and the society has grown around it... To our shame as a nation.

and why the mother? Because we're the nurturer. He's the hunter. We're the homemaker. Kinda the way it was established way, way, way ago-- I'm cool with it.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I"M AWAKE ALREADY! Now go away, let me go back to bed. wtf
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm talking about the root of the problem-- not the current trend many people find themselves in. yes, NOW, people feel they have to have two incomes to get by-- the root of the problem goes back decades to women entering the workforce to begin with. Now salaries are lower (compared to cost of living) because employers have generally assumed that there are two incomes to live on.

No, this is not all as packaged and tidy as I make it seem in my 30 second post-- however, the roots are long ago sown, and the society has grown around it... To our shame as a nation.

and why the mother? Because we're the nurturer. He's the hunter. We're the homemaker. Kinda the way it was established way, way, way ago-- I'm cool with it.

I can respect your point about wages however, it couldn't stay like it was. Women and men used to work alongside eachother in the fields until the industrial revolution. It wasn't fair to continue to treat women like second class citizens. It made it hard for women who HAD to work to get by. It's a lot more than just women wanting to work. It's a have to thing. Our society changed with things becoming more computerized. I'm sure there are many women who would resent being told to go back to the kitchen barefoot and keep popping out babies.
  • Marla64
    Options

I can respect your point about wages however, it couldn't stay like it was. Women and men used to work alongside eachother in the fields until the industrial revolution. It wasn't fair to continue to treat women like second class citizens. It made it hard for women who HAD to work to get by. It's a lot more than just women wanting to work. It's a have to thing. Our society changed with things becoming more computerized. I'm sure there are many women who would resent being told to go back to the kitchen barefoot and keep popping out babies.

Undoubtedly-- so it is what it is...
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I would have to say... me being fat is my problem... it has nothing to do with my parents. My mom did tell me to eat less because I'll grow up fat, and I didn't listen to her. I went out with my best friends, eating fried chicken, fast food, pizza all the time. So, it's more of my own fault being so rebellious.