Parents Please Wake Up

Options

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    This thread is still going??

I thought we all agreed that we were flogging those horrible parents??

Blarghing at the blargh?(amazing work right here. Someone hurry get this guy a gold star :))

So it's not okay to criticize parents for feeding their kids crap to the point of obesity, but it is okay to trash a 130 lb woman for calling herself fat?

Translated: Blargh.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

Blarghing at the blargh?(amazing work right here. Someone hurry get this guy a gold star :))

So it's not okay to criticize parents for feeding their kids crap to the point of obesity, but it is okay to trash a 130 lb woman for calling herself fat?

Whoa lady calm down.

I never "trashed" anyone. Read the whole thread.

And two: Everyone on this site is here because they want to be FIT. We are all on the same side. Just different views.

I doubt there is one parent on here who stuffs their kids faces with fast food just get them fat on purpose.

Get out of cyberland if you wanna see a change. Instead of standing on your soap box here why dont you go to the local schools and be the change you wish to see in the world.

I do that every day with my daughter to show her to make healthy choices. Lead by example. Help instead of hate.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Whoa lady calm down.

And two: Everyone on this site is here because they want to be FIT. We are all on the same side. Just different views.

I doubt there is one parent on here who stuffs their kids faces with fast food just get them fat on purpose.

Get out of cyberland if you wanna see a change. Instead of standing on your soap box here why dont you go to the local schools and be the change you wish to see in the world.

I do that every day with my daughter to show her to make healthy choices. Lead by example. Help instead of hate.

And yet here you are in cyberland assuming that I don't.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

Whoa lady calm down.

And yet here you are in cyberland assuming that I don't.

Your right I assume you dont.

By the way you talk it sounds like thats all you do. Talk instead of help. But thats me ASSUMING.

Maybe your a saint.

Thats on you lady.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    My point is we are all on the same side here.

And i find it doubtful that the parents on here are force feeding their childfren horrible foods when they are trying to be healthy themselves.

This is outside of MFP.

I really dont see why everyone is fighting with one another when we are all of the same goal. Thats what I am trying to convey.

And this is something that if you feel so strongly about should be put to action, not just talked about.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

And i find it doubtful that the parents on here are force feeding their childfren horrible foods when they are trying to be healthy themselves.

forceFeeding-drawing.jpg

Me with my children at McDonald's just yesterday-- and the day before that...and the day before that.......

:wink:
  • ghiagirl893
    ghiagirl893 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My mother was a substitute teacher. There was a 5 year old boy in her class that weighed 150lbs. Thats how much I weighed at the time.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have left comments telling me to shut up and mind my own business, I have this to say to you – Absolutely Not.

“Being overweight during childhood and adolescence increases the risk of developing high cholesterol, hypertension, respiratory ailments, orthopedic problems, depression and type 2 diabetes as a youth.” –U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

“-Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years.
    -The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. (And I’m guessing the number has even gone up since then.)
    -In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.” (That’s one in THREE.)

-Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

“-Obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
    -Obese adolescents are more likely to have prediabetes, a condition in which blood glucose levels indicate a high risk for development of diabetes.
    -Children and adolescents who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self-esteem.
    -Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults and are therefore more at risk for adult health problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.”

WE are headed down a really scary path. And I won’t “keep my mouth shut” and “mind my own business” any longer. And neither should you, if you care about our children's health and our future. Keeping our mouths shut and minding our own business has gotten us where we are. And I, for one, will not keep silent any longer. The disease of silence is destroying our children’s health.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I agree that parents need to be better informed. I make lunch for my little brother most days and usually pack a sandwich, juice, a fruit/veggie, and a treat (2 cookies, a pudding cup, a few pieces of candy, etc)

One day my mom made lunch for him and I took a peek: juice, about 6 cookies, pudding cup, and one of those cheese and crackers packets..... Basically anything that was prepackaged. My mom saw nothing wrong with it, even though I'd been trying to teach her to pack healthier lunches.

My little brother is not at all overweight though, he can probably eat all that junk and stay skinny until his late teens (like his older brothers), but when kinds eat junk like that, they can't focus, they don't do as well.

So, I don't judge people when they have overweight kids because I don't know their situation. But if your kid is overweight and you look at their meals and see little or no fruits, veggies, whole grains, and dairy, then you need to kick yourself in the *kitten* and fix it, because your kid isn't getting what they need to grow and develop optimally.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    For those of you who have left comments telling me to shut up and mind my own business, I have this to say to you – Absolutely Not.

“Being overweight during childhood and adolescence increases the risk of developing high cholesterol, hypertension, respiratory ailments, orthopedic problems, depression and type 2 diabetes as a youth.” –U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

-The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. (And I’m guessing the number has even gone up since then.)
    -In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.” (That’s one in THREE.)

“-Obese youth are more likely to have risk factors for cardiovascular disease, such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure.
    -Obese adolescents are more likely to have prediabetes, a condition in which blood glucose levels indicate a high risk for development of diabetes.
    -Children and adolescents who are obese are at greater risk for bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, and social and psychological problems such as stigmatization and poor self-esteem.
    -Children and adolescents who are obese are likely to be obese as adults and are therefore more at risk for adult health problems such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, several types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.”

WE are headed down a really scary path. And I won’t “keep my mouth shut” and “mind my own business” any longer. And neither should you, if you care about our children's health and our future. Keeping our mouths shut and minding our own business has gotten us where we are. And I, for one, will not keep silent any longer. The disease of silence is destroying our children’s health.

This!^^^ Amen!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Moderation in soda for a 2 year old? Yeah whatever..

I'm not saying it's the brightest thing to do, I'm just saying it's not the worst thing in the world to do... not even close.

I don't recall anyone saying it was the worst thing in the world.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

If you want to do something about it freakin' do something about it then. To sit here and tell parents how they should be raising their children when you clearly have had some of the same issues to contend with is beyond hypocritical. DO something, don't tell others how to raise their children. There are way more proactive ways to get involved.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    I don't see how posting this was hypocritical. I don't want children to have to go through what I had to go through, that's it. Judging from your posts, taramaureen, you seem to be an angry individual and I'm not going to get into a childish argument match with you.

I've been a part of this community for a while now and know that just because someone is here it doesn't automatically mean they are eating healthy and feeding their families healthy foods. If starting a post gets a few people thinking about making some changes then awesome. If it reaches no one, then that's ok, at least I tried. That is doing something. I also volunteer at the local food bank and try to help others learn more about nutrition. I'm doing what I can right now.

I know you'll be tempted to retort with something biting and probably rude, but I hope you refrain. I really don't have any ill will against you and don't want to argue with you. I'm not here for that. :)
  • taramaureen
    Options
    I don't see how posting this was hypocritical. I don't want children to have to go through what I had to go through, that's it. Judging from your posts, taramaureen, you seem to be an angry individual and I'm not going to get into a childish argument match with you.

I've been a part of this community for a while now and know that just because someone is here it doesn't automatically mean they are eating healthy and feeding their families healthy foods. If starting a post gets a few people thinking about making some changes then awesome. If it reaches no one, then that's ok, at least I tried. That is doing something. I also volunteer at the local food bank and try to help others learn more about nutrition. I'm doing what I can right now.

I know you'll be tempted to retort with something biting and probably rude, but I hope you refrain. I really don't have any ill will against you and don't want to argue with you. I'm not here for that. :)

I think it's hypocritical because you obviously need to clean up your own house first so to speak. Clean yourself up, then actually do something about what you're passionate about. Anything else is being a slacktivist.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options

Clean yourself up, then actually do something about what you're passionate about. Anything else is being a slacktivist.

She's already working on herself! Why should she wait? She's multi-tasking, not being a slacktivist.
  • StacySkinny
    Options

I think it's hypocritical because you obviously need to clean up your own house first so to speak. Clean yourself up, then actually do something about what you're passionate about. Anything else is being a slacktivist.

One doesn't have to be a perfect person to try and make a difference. :) I don't need to be at my goal weight to share my story and to try and help keep kids from going through what I went through.
  • kiwipearls
    Options
    I agree with the OP. McDonalds every day - or any other fast food every day is not a healthy choice.

Kids shouldn't be eating fast food on a weekly basis.

Children really shouldn't be overweight and obese (unless they have a medical condition that causes weight gain ie hormone or other chemical imbalances and inherited disorders of metabolism).

Let's be real here! The majority of overweight and obese children that we see every day when we are out and about in the mall or in a restaurant, food court or at school- are overweight due to over-eating!

Get so tired of people being PC about this issue. This issue starts with the parents and causes a lifetime of health issues for the child well into adulthood.

Just stop buying your children fast food and sweets ffs if they are prone to weight issues. Get them active and teach them about healthy eating especially fruit and vegetables. If you have a fussy eater, persevere- don't give in and give them something unhealthy because it is easier. If they are hungry they will eat it.

I have a fussy eater and I started off giving him smaller portions of the healthy food he didn't like and he had to sit there and eat or go to bed. He eventually got the message and I gave him bigger portions and he eats it. He does make faces from time to time.

Both my kids get fast food as treats, once in a blue moon (every couple of mouths), me teenager is at the stage she does not like fast food as much due to her body naturally not liking the fat. They are allowed sweets, but not allowed to eat them all in one sitting. Both my children are active and play sports.

It really is not a hard thing to do. And I don't want people saying how hard it is to feed kids healthy on a budget. We are a mid to low income family, on one income - and we manage a healthy diet. I can feed my family of four on $100NZ dollars a week. So it is definately doable.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation..my mom used to let us have treats, and that's what they were treats..she cooked most of our meals, but a treat once in a while is okay..
  • taramaureen
    Options

One doesn't have to be a perfect person to try and make a difference. :) I don't need to be at my goal weight to share my story and to try and help keep kids from going through what I went through.

Making a difference does not entail railing parents on the internet. Why don't you try petitioning the schools for healthier meals? Or lobbying for better nutritional education for low income families?
  • StacySkinny
    Options

Making a difference does not entail railing parents on the internet. Why don't you try petitioning the schools for healthier meals? Or lobbying for better nutritional education for low income families?

Our words can sometimes have an effect on others. Whether or not my words have a lasting effect, I don't know. I may never know. But from some of the messages I've received regarding this post I think it has made a positive effect on at least a couple of people. And that's all I could hope for. I'm doing what I can right now and I don't honestly care if you don't think that's good enough. I don't care if you don't agree with this post or how I'm living my journey. I'm finished with this conversation. I wish you luck on your journey and success in reaching your goals.