Why are you fat???

Options

Replies

• BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I like yummy food that isn't good for me and I like to eat lots of it!! That added to being lazy and not wanting to exercise is what made me fat.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    1) Drinking 1300 calories a day in milk to combat arthritis medication which bothered my stomach.
    2) Not exercising because life was "too busy" with kids, work and a house to look after.
    3) Not being willing to push myself with painful joints to exercise.
    4) Eating only one large meal a day (dinner).
    5) Not caring that I was slowly putting on weight (approx 7 lbs a year for about 15 years). I mean what's 7lbs since I'm tall it wasn't even noticeable and going up a size every few years didn't worry me.

Now it's so obvious but at the time I was rather oblivious!!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Very simple in my case, I ate too much and too much of the bad crap (high calorie, high fat restaurant foods) and did not exercise consistently enough.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    this is not a "success story."

i'm' just sayin'.
  • Jenn638
    Jenn638 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i think the main reason is because i can eat two pounds of cheese in two days. in one sitting down 7 quesadillas. i can eat rice and cheese without stopping. and if im ever hungry i will stop at the nearest jack in the box.
    oh yeah and depression. i have always lost and gained weight. i miscarried 6 months ago, expecting our first was the happiest moment of my life and then bam, saddest. so to the point of not caring at all what i looked like. weird because now that i think about my whole life didn't revolve around that one incident.
    why am i losing weight? because i have realized that my friends and family care about me. and i have a wonderful husband. so really i have a lot of good things that i should try to live for! and i never thought my weight really effected my happiness, but i am realizing that it does. it makes me feel good about myself to see a pound gone and hear my husband's compliments, and my friends. all in all i guess i am blessed!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My parents fed us well, and I was healthy through childhood, but they turned fast food into the taboo forbidden fruit. :love:

We could never have it, and on the super rare occasions we did, it was tightly controlled: Taco Bell was a choice between hard/soft taco or a bean burrito. I never had the freedom to order what I really wanted. :ohwell:

Well after I turned 18 and went off to college, I started making up for lost time. Fast food every day? SURE! No parent to tell me no anymore. So my weight started creeping up.

I never learned that working out was something a regular person should do or needs to do. Gyms were for beefcakes, and so I never expected to go to one, or saw any need for one.

Lycra clothing made it soooooooo easy to creep up and up and not notice.

Once I realized I was getting fat, I tried to do something about it. I used chemicals. A bunch of them. And I did lose a bunch of the weight, but I learned nothing. So I cycled through that a couple times, bouncing up and down on the scale. Yuck.

When I saw a scale that said I weighed 237 lbs, I knew I had to change, because I had come to hate my body and what I done to myself.

I found MFP, and it has truly changed my life and my health. I will be forever grateful to Mike and everyone else that gave this to us.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I was super morbidly obese because food is my drug of choice. I am addicted to food, I used it like a drug to cope with life when things didn't go my way heck I used to to celebrate when things did go my way. I ate and ate and ate..more more more and it got progressively worse over time. Binge eating on weekends or special occasions only...progressed to 2 or 3 times a week to 5 days a week with only 2 days of recovery. It was horrible the quantities of food, the depression the horrible body, being unable to clean myself properly (yes I said that)...at almost 400lbs something had to give..and it was me I had to give up my drug, and I have. With the grace of my higher power one day at a time I have not touched a binge food. I also got a band..which helps remind me to take things slower, food is nutrition and my body does not need excessive amounts to be healthy and function properly. Now I run, now I kayak, and I can climb stairs unwinded and take care of myself properly. I know why I was fat...I won't go back there if I keep up the work I've been doing over the last 2.5 years!
  • Ilovesewing
    Ilovesewing Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I finally learned the answer to this question over the past couple of weeks. I was always thin, especially as a teenager. I'm 49 now, and have been overweight for a looooooong time. But I have two grown kids, boy 23 and girl 26, and a hubby 56. None of them are fat. Not one of them. Not even a little. So why am I fat? I cook dinner every day. I eat fast food very rarely, don't drink sodas, don't eat ice cream; cakes and pies were rare, usually on birthdays. I cook healthy meals.

So what do I do differently than my family? What do I do often? I eat cookies. I love cookies. I love homemade cookies and I made them often. And then I ate them. I had no problem grabbing 3-4 cookies several times a day.

Fast forward to this year: every year my mom, sisters, and our daughters get together for our annual christmas baking day, and we make......yep, cookies! Except this year, I forced myself to log my calories here. So I entered a few of the recipes I love best. And holy cow was I shocked when I saw what ONE cookie cost in calories! Most of them are 100-110 calories a piece. Multiply that by 3 or 4, and then again by 3 or 4 times per day.....and that equals fat.

I've lost 13 pounds since October and it has been easy. Honestly. I have not had to change my eating habits much at all. Of course, I've cut down on total calories to create a deficit, but 'what' I am eating has not changed. Except cookies. Had to give them up :( One day....hopefully...I can add a cookie back into my day!
  • debalina36
    debalina36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater who had a horrible 2nd marriage and that didn't help. I gained A LOT of weight. Heaviest was 235. Left him and moved to NJ to be with family. Started liking myself again and the weight started coming off. Went form a 18/20 to a 14. But still not happy. I am with a wonderful man now who supports me but he mentions me working out and my weight too much for my liking. I am trying not to revert to old ways of EE. I am a screenwriter and have been putting all my "snack" time into writing. I exercise 3x a week and once again changing my eating plan. Not on a diet - it's a lifestyle change. Hoping this time will stick
  • lorri68
    lorri68 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    im 5ft 8inch and have always been in my bmi range but i gave up smoking in oct 2005 and have put on 4stone 7ibs to date
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I posted in Success Stories first and thought I guess this wouldn't really be a "Success Stories" kind of post. Sorry you guys. It's my first post...
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Options
    I posted in Success Stories first and thought I guess this wouldn't really be a "Success Stories" kind of post. Sorry you guys. It's my first post...

I love this topic. I think it helps people understand how to achieve their success stories so in essence it can belong here. Don't let people talk down to you. To those 3 people who posted to be little smart-alecks there were several others who posted to gain an understanding of why they put on the weight. Great Job :-)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Lazy. I hate working out and most of my weight loss was done the wrong way, not eating enough...then when I tried to eat healthy, hear comes the weight cause my body was starved. In high school I wanted to attract others, now that I am married, I got comfortable (like most) had kids and really didnt stick with any program
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I became lazy and found more comfort in eating and drinking alcohol! Two kids later, a failed marriage and the stress of raising 2 kids without support coupled with low self esteem = obese! I'm learning how to change that now though!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I was just curious about the different reasons some of us are fat...ahem...excuse me...I mean overweight or in my case OBESE (according to BMI).
    My reasons are as follow: Over the last 4 years I started a relationship, quit smoking (HOORAY FOR ME but here comes the fat), planned a wedding, went on a honeymoon cruise (they feed you SOOO much), got married, then pregnant (actually the pregnancy came just before the wedding, but who's counting), finished everything my pregnant wife couldn't eat (morning sickness), stop working out altogether (but continued to pay them :huh: ), finished everything my toddler wouldn't eat, and bing eating. WOW!!! So that's why I'm fat. What's your deal???

My downfall is my love of sweets, chocolate and cakes - LOTS of 'em.

I ate so many, even though I knew what would happen. THAT is why I am overweight.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have been overweight as long as I can remember. I think I used food as a coping mechanism. We moved a lot when I was growing up (I went to six different elementary schools) and it was hard making long lasting friends. Food was my best friend. I have continued to keep people at arms length and used food as my primary coping mechanism. I am trying to change those bad behaviors but it is hard.
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im not per say fat according to my BMI, it fluctuates between 24 and 23. but i deffinately am not like i used to be. I was in a size 2 pants when i was in highschool. I had the best metabolisim where i could eat anything and all i wanted of it and never gain a pound staying at 121 lbs for years with out any fluctuations. then at 16 years old i became pregnant. had my son then 9 months later became pregnant again. with my daughter. had a bunch of stress in my life and 5 years later got pregnant again thought i was done with kids then showed my my 4th pregnancy a year and half later. I just had my son ( and last child for sure) being 25 years old with 4 pregnancies has taken its toll on my body. and i now have an nasy belly i really want to loose. and have absolutely no muscles. its time to get my body back now that my husband had a vasectomy so i will now k now for sure i will have no more kids. its time to be a young hot mama again.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was fat, because I was a food glutton and lazy, undisciplined person.

Same as most.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    A combination of things. It started because I quit smoking and my thyroid went underactive. I remain overweight because I am inconsistent.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy and I eat too much.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!