The rudest thing anyone said to you about your weight?

Options

Replies

• Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I once was asked when I was due. But that wasn't as bad as when someone told me at I had a beautiful face and if I lost weight I'd be hot.
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I asked my evil former boss if I could work at home 1 day a week.

She said "Aren't you worried that your refrigerator will distract you from work?"

The craziest thing about this, at this time, was that our fridge was nearly empty empty . Why I want to work from home 1 day a week was that hubby was unemployed and he had decided to "shop French". He was spending hours a day at the grocery each day buying 1 day's worth of food.as a way to avoid the beating the Internet for a job.
  • Nichelle_b
    Nichelle_b Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Getting changed in the changing rooms at a shop with my son:-

Josh 'whys your belly so fat and squidgy?'
    Me 'When you were a baby you used to live in there'
    quiet pause whilst he thinks this comment through
    Josh 'How many babies have you got in there now?'

All I could hear was chuckles from other changing rooms.

I had to laugh but inside I was crying!!

Very similar situation with me. My god-son asked me that same question. He also saw a picture of me from a few years ago (I was near the same size I am now) and he said I looked "prettier in the picture" than I do now. =(
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    A few months after I had given birth to our son, I was walking down the street & a lady came up to me. She smiled & asked me when the baby was due. I stood there speechless as my husband roared with laughter. When she realized her error, she apologized & quickly walked away.

Another time we were at a Norma's Diner & I ordered a hamburger & regular fries. When our food arrived they had given me seasoned fries. I told our waiter that they fries were not correct. He scooped them onto my bread plate & took them away. By the time I had finished my hamburger, he had not returned. Then he brought us our bill & I asked him about the fries. He looked me up & down & said "You don't look like you need french fries." & walked away. I asked another waiter if I could speak with the manager. The manager came over & I explained to her what happened & what had been said. She called our waiter over & asked him if what I was saying was true. He said yes it was true with a smug look on his face. The manager told us that we didn't have to pay for our dinner & handed me a bunch of discount coupons. I proceeded to tear them up in front of her & sprinkle them on the table. We walked out & have never been back.
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    That is so ****ed up! I mean no offense but your husband seems like a real tool. He should be encouraging you & supporting you through this journey. Someone you love & care about should be the LAST person to poke fun or hurt your feelings. Don't let him OR ANYONE get you down! You keep your chin up & walk proud.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    A student once told me, "The back of your neck looks like a package of hot dogs."
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    "you are ugly, too darck and fat, at least you can loss some weight to look a little bit better" .- My mom

Not necessarily to say, that left me a trauma for the rest of my life, no one ever expect to hear that from a mother. She still apologizing for that ignorant and mean comment and i forgave her, I'll love her to death.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    At least when you were pregnant you didnt have someone say that you didnt look pregnant. Mind you at the time I was like 7-8 monthes pregnant and weighed 290+.

I also had a patient say that my husband must really love me because I was so fat.(mind you she was confused, but still)

No one ever thought I looked pregnant either.
  • laineyluma
    laineyluma Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My niece who was 10 at the time was listening to a conversation between me and her mother about me having a c-section with my son. She decides to interject and say

"but mommy, I thought c-sections make you skinny" thinking about some kind of plastic surgery. I was crushed.

:sad:
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Now that I have lost the weight and am focused on toning and maintenance I get a lot of rude comments. Just today I got "Wow. maybe you should go inside, in this wind you might blow away." Not followed by a joking face, -awkward-, Another "friend" asked if I worked out today and I replied that I had done insanity. She came back with, "Wow if you work out anymore there will be nothing left." I know I don't look unhealthy, I have muscle and I think it's OKAY to workout 6 days a week! People need to quit being jealous of others and get over themselves!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    A few months after I had given birth to our son, I was walking down the street & a lady came up to me. She smiled & asked me when the baby was due. I stood there speechless as my husband roared with laughter. When she realized her error, she apologized & quickly walked away.

Another time we were at a Norma's Diner & I ordered a hamburger & regular fries. When our food arrived they had given me seasoned fries. I told our waiter that they fries were not correct. He scooped them onto my bread plate & took them away. By the time I had finished my hamburger, he had not returned. Then he brought us our bill & I asked him about the fries. He looked me up & down & said "You don't look like you need french fries." & walked away. I asked another waiter if I could speak with the manager. The manager came over & I explained to her what happened & what had been said. She called our waiter over & asked him if what I was saying was true. He said yes it was true with a smug look on his face. The manager told us that we didn't have to pay for our dinner & handed me a bunch of discount coupons. I proceeded to tear them up in front of her & sprinkle them on the table. We walked out & have never been back.

Granted the waiter should have been fired, but at least the manager attempted to make it right.
  • nikki778
    nikki778 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was a bridesmaid & as we all got fitted for our dresses I felt relieved when another girl was my size,..until she said "I just had a baby I have an excuse".

People are so rude. But I was just in another wedding party & I swore to myself NOT THIS TIME,...
    Needless to say the dress was taken in by more than HALF of the original fitting.
  • AnathemaRose
    Options
    I've had a couple of rude things said about me and I think the ones that have sticked actually hurt but are a small part of why I joined here (other than the fact that I had passed out twice from malnutrition. . .)

1. "You shouldn't have got a lead role in your musical and you should have worn something different because you look like you're 6 months pregnant." - My Grandmother. That one crushed me and I have never worn that outfit again even though it's my most favorite outfit ):.

2. I've had my last name changed to be "Cow-dill" instead of Caudill. The exact quote: "Who's that COWdill girl? The one that looks so depressed. She should just die and get it over with." :/ That was very depressing considering I had just lost two pets and had just moved across country from a home I had always known.

3. "Look at her with that big J-Lo butt." - My other grandmother to my aunt on my father's side. >x<; Everyone on my father's side is built like a twig and most of my cousins are in the military. . .but this was actually back when I was at a good weight. (120lbs at 5'4.)

4. I've had multiple doctors tell me that nothing was wrong with me and that it was my weight. When I was below what I should have weighed, the doctor told me I was fat and that's why I was having asthma problems (refused to prescribe or diagnose me). I'm also currently in a situation where I no longer go to my doctor because she doesn't look at me, just walks in, takes a look at my weight and says that I'm overweight and diabetic - thus ending up with me in the hospital because the unchecked boil on my chest finally burst and I couldn't move without pain. . . :/

5. My professor remarked that I couldn't have been starving myself if I'm so big. What he doesn't know is that I skipped eating every day and when I did eat, it was only a small sammich for the whole day. That was a big blow, because he said it while other people were there eating lunch too. . .This is the same professor that remarked that I looked thinner in the face and that it's about time I started doing something about my health ):.

Yeah. . .
    People can be very mean.
    But at least it's motivating in a way? I always feel that when I get down in weight, I'll have shown them.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    4. I've had multiple doctors tell me that nothing was wrong with me and that it was my weight. When I was below what I should have weighed, the doctor told me I was fat and that's why I was having asthma problems (refused to prescribe or diagnose me). I'm also currently in a situation where I no longer go to my doctor because she doesn't look at me, just walks in, takes a look at my weight and says that I'm overweight and diabetic - thus ending up with me in the hospital because the unchecked boil on my chest finally burst and I couldn't move without pain. . . :/

I recommend that you find a new practitioner. Geez, what a B****!!! I'm surprised she has any patients with that kind of bedside manner.
  • trekkiebeth
    Options
    A former employer of mine asked if my fingers were swollen because they looked like sausages. They weren't swollen. I just have chubby fingers. I have to admit that the comment made me cry even though I was at work. I'm still not sure if he really thought something had happened to my hands to make them look that way. Either way, it was still insensitive.

This thread is really depressing. People can be so cruel! It's one thing when a stranger insults you, but there are so many stories of parents and spouses being mean to people about their weight! No one should have to hear that from someone they're close to.
  • Jendegeorge
    Options
    Standing in the kitchen washing dishes when my father came in and said, "You know, Jen, you're fat...it's going to be hard to find someone to ever love you."

I was 15 and 120lbs.

I'm now 41, married 23 years with two children and haven't seen that man in 8 years. Never been healthier in my life. Nevermind if I'm fat....I'm loved.
  • caitmcwill
    Options
    A friend of mine asked me if I had an eating disorder because I had recently lost a lot of weight. What he didn't realize is how big of a struggle food was for me.

About a year and a half ago, my husband at the time, decided to find someone else because "we no longer shared the same interests" ie working out for 4 hours a day. Sorry but timing my workouts does not give me anymore motivation to work harder. Motivation and change happen from within my own self. Oh well...better off now :happy:
  • Kim_08
    Kim_08 Posts: 157
    Options
    I had a girl I use to go to school with say, "I see you gained all of your weight back.." I cried for a few hours..
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym (where I worked out regularly and was in a weight loss competition) and this cocky jock type of idiot walked up to me while I was lifting weights and said, "why do you even bother, it's obviously not doing you any good -why do you waste your money coming in here?" I looked at him and laughed and said, "well I lift more weight than you do with my arms and I push more weight than you do with my legs and not only that but I work out longer than you do each time you are in here so truth be known maybe you are the one wasting your money:. I never saw him in that gym while I was working out again!
  • Kim_08
    Kim_08 Posts: 157
    Options
    I was at the gym (where I worked out regularly and was in a weight loss competition) and this cocky jock type of idiot walked up to me while I was lifting weights and said, "why do you even bother, it's obviously not doing you any good -why do you waste your money coming in here?" I looked at him and laughed and said, "well I lift more weight than you do with my arms and I push more weight than you do with my legs and not only that but I work out longer than you do each time you are in here so truth be known maybe you are the one wasting your money:. I never saw him in that gym while I was working out again!
    you go girl!