The rudest thing anyone said to you about your weight?

Options

Replies

• Lunalucina
    Options
    "You looked better when you were heavy/i like women with curves/etcetc" or "where did your boobs/butt go"? I realize they're not when I was at my heaviest, but after substantial weight loss, but the comments are infuriating none-the-less.
    I hate the assumption that my body is open to commentary by anyone, and that weight loss has anything to do with men.
    (The comments are from people that just have no business MAKING comments whatsoever.) Not to mention, it took time and effort and dedication and someone saying I dont look as good now pretty much disregards any effort put in!

My sister was always a little chunkier when we were little, where-as I was a toothpick. I love my extended family, but back then, they were clueless and cruel, and had my sister been much older, their comments could have been so damaging!
    We were at the dinner table for a family gathering with my aunts/uncles/grandparents, and I remember them trying to force me to keep eating, when I was nearly puking. ("She's so skinny, she must not eat enough/needs to eat more/how can she be healthy?") My little sister, on the other hand, had food TAKEN from her, with a comment related to resembling the Pillsbury dough-boy. My grandpa, of all people, said it. S: I remember looking at my plate and trying not to cry for her.
    My parents had enough at that point, and my dad went off at them. We were ages 5 and 7.

My boyfriend makes comments about "we need to work on that body" (referring to me). Which is fine and dandy. I'm 21, no children, and very little that genetically makes me overweight. I have no excuse for being so heavy, it was merely laziness and lifestyle and a lack of education on how to get fit. He's the only one allowed to comment though--since he will actually go and eat healthy with me and work out, etc.

Not sure what people said behind my back in high school, but I don't particularly care to know either.

I do remember that a gym teacher I had told our class that "if you can hold yours arms straight down from your shoulder and you make contact with another part of your body, you're fat". Had I been the person I am now, I'd have interrupted the class.
    Pretty sure, women in particular, thin or otherwise, will touch their hips. What a horrible message for teen girls. 5 years later, and I'm still disgusted by his comment and HOW he still has a job!

Sorry, wall of text. Haha.
  • amandafirst
    Options
    You look amazing!!! People can be jerks.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can't say this was really "rude" as an 8 yr. old friend of my daughter said it. My daughter and I were talking about a bike ride that we had done and her friend turned to me and said "YOU ride a bike?". Ouch. Isn't it amazing how even an 8 yr. old's words can sting?
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I was running a Warrior Dash...actually running...and I passed a thinner chick who was *walking* and after I went by she said, "Oh no, I am NOT getting passed by a fat chick"...she started running and passed me (eventually I passed her again because she didn't have the endurance, but I'll never forget it - it was my first race).
  • Shybea81
    Shybea81 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As I was eating Doritos, my sister's boyfriend at the time looked at me and said "I can actually hear you getting fatter"
    After losing some weight I went to visit my grandpa who told me "You look good, last time you were here we thought there were two of ya"...I guess that was a compliment.
    The worst I've heard was to a friend of mine though, her Aunt told her when she was nine "Boys don't like big girls" like she was giving her some grand wisdom.
    People can be just awful some times
  • neveahnadira
    Options
    My ex dumped me because I'm fat. You can imagine how it could break one's confidence and self esteem. It was the most painful one for me.

Are you serious?? what an AssH**e!!!

Yup, But it kinda jump started my weightloss journey. I dropped nearly half the amount of weight I want to and I ran into him recently. His reaction?? His jaws hit the floor and he said "You look really pretty". He's been texting and I ignoring..lol.Revenge is the best dish served!
    He did you a huge favor.
    Too often we kill each other with too much kindness.

My Doctor just told me all the medications I needed or I could drop 50lbs and take no medication.
    I acted like I didn't quite know what he meant, and he blurted out "you're too fat!"

We need more of this and less fat acceptance.

I agree that we need less fat acceptance. I wish I had owned 1) a bathroom scales 2) a tape measure and 3) a full length mirror the whole way through college and I wouldn't have put the weight on in the first place. I never realised I was putting on weight. It took me a while to realise I was overweight and by then I was getting the rude comments.

xx

i disagree- this all just shows if you are rude, mean and cruel enough to a person- they might change themselves to look more pleasant to you/who ever said it. How many of these posts are people going on just fine and even happy with their day and all of a sudden someone feels is appropriate to be mean to them/ hurt thier feelings because they do not like the way they look.

I don't call it fat acceptance. its called keep your personal opinions about a persons body to yourself.

I agree with the above post. It's not fair to be cruel and mean to overweight people just because they do not fit into society's expectations! It's ok to have opinion but if its not positive, it's better not to be shared! Come on, people could obese for several reasons from being lazy to fatal hormone conditions. It's not fair judge anyone without knowing their story.
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    one of my ex's told me she was surprised she ever started dating me b/c she usually went for someone more toned, better looking. she continued with "you'll never be a calvin klein under wear model like <ex b/f name>" and that she deserved to be with someone she was attracted to.

a few months later i attempted suicide the first time.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    one of my ex's told me she was surprised she ever started dating me b/c she usually went for someone more toned, better looking. she continued with "you'll never be a calvin klein under wear model like <ex b/f name>" and that she deserved to be with someone she was attracted to.

Hugs for you too! :flowerforyou: That hurt my heart just reading that! She deserves a beating for that. Glad to hear you didn't keep her around.
  • oldsy04
    Options
    Took my shirt off at work to change into my work stuff and the new guy asked when i was due.... and i'm a guy
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    On christmas my parents were treating me weird and all smiley... Turns out they thought my weight gain was because i was secretly pregnant... They thought I was waiting for the holiday to tell them.
  • jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The comment that really made me want to make a change was actually meant to be a compliment. While at a bar with my friends, 2 girls (who very well could have been drag queens...sequined dresses and wigs were involved haha) came up to us and said "You girls are so beautiful, not like these other skinny b*tches." I'm kind of ashamed of it, but it actually hurt my feelings! I've always been pretty small and in shape. I was always considered the "skinny friend" in our group. So although it was nice to be called beautiful..it was also the first time I realized I was no longer perceived as skinny to other people.
  • throttler228
    Options
    I've learned to ignore a lot of crap as an adult, luckily most people keep it to a more-polite stare as you get older. I like to dress fashionably and it occasionally gets me more attention than I want. Anyway. (oh god, you can be out of normal sizes and still be so well put together? Who knew?)

At 15 or 16, I went through a summer where my short and stocky self had a brief period of weight loss and I dipped in to the size 10/12 range. I got in the van to go somewhere with my dad, who was always fit and often a bodybuilder at that time.

He reached over, pinched the width of my thigh, and told me I was almost skinny with enthusiasm. I cringed and was embarassed and horrified. It haunted me. At the time I wasn't actively torturing myself with diets that I recall, I was simply busier. It was a little easier to deal with my mom shedding tears when I fit in to size 12 shorts that summer. Still haunting though. Or that time not long after when the school nurse asked me "what I was doing about that". Granted - I was more active than my peers in most cases, participated in a lot of sports and was at the gym constantly, and ate reasonably well. But that has never added up to a socially accepted weight. But I still try.

With stuff like this, it became unwaveringly clear how little I observed my shape than other people, as if I was teetering on an edge of doom and people assumed their attempts to pull me back on track weren't just a risk at pushing me off the edge.

The worst part was watching him do that to my younger sister about 4 years later as she was at her skinniest and tried on a wet suit for dad's jet ski. He grabbed her love handles and said the same thing. And she looked great.

It's no wonder that she is struggling a lot with self-acceptance and confidence, it took me years to get over that.

If I do have kids, I will never pass on the shame my parents gave me and was strong enough to overcome. (most days)
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    "have you got cancer"
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

That is sad and I am glad she is your ex.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    When I go into special athletic stores and they look at you as if what are you doing in here,,
    this.
    And not to long ago a mother of a friend walked into our house, slapped my back side and said "Holy *kitten* what have you been eating, you need to cut it out, youre so fat"

Yea, that made me cry.
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    Some of these comments are jaw-dropping. I've had my share of comments made to me, but I try not to let them bother me. I try to be the better person and let the one saying it make themselves feel better. In the end, I feel sorry for them because they clearly have their own issues that I apparently don't know anything about and me being just as rude to them as they were to me won't help either of us. :flowerforyou:
  • Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My little sister was so excited to be getting married, she starts telling me about the bridesmaids in the wedding and how they all had to be "BIG" girls to make her look thinner, the "fatter" the better....BTW you know you are a bridesmaid right?
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think what hurt the most is the feeling of being invisible. Like being in a crowd and not one person acknowledging I was there.

THIS! THIS! THIS!

My boyfriend said to me a few nights ago, "I'm so lucky to have this metabolism. Soon I'm gonna be all fat and ugly and you're going to be pretty and skinny."

UH... AM I NOT PRETTY NOW? I said "Pretty and overweight are mutually exclusive?" he got all baffled and said "uh.. I only said it because... you say you're doing it for you but.. I think secretly you don't like how you look.."

I think it's time to lose the jerk.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My ex dumped me because I'm fat. You can imagine how it could break one's confidence and self esteem. It was the most painful one for me.

Are you serious?? what an AssH**e!!!

Yup, But it kinda jump started my weightloss journey. I dropped nearly half the amount of weight I want to and I ran into him recently. His reaction?? His jaws hit the floor and he said "You look really pretty". He's been texting and I ignoring..lol.Revenge is the best dish served!
    He did you a huge favor.
    Too often we kill each other with too much kindness.

My Doctor just told me all the medications I needed or I could drop 50lbs and take no medication.
    I acted like I didn't quite know what he meant, and he blurted out "you're too fat!"

We need more of this and less fat acceptance.

I agree that we need less fat acceptance. I wish I had owned 1) a bathroom scales 2) a tape measure and 3) a full length mirror the whole way through college and I wouldn't have put the weight on in the first place. I never realised I was putting on weight. It took me a while to realise I was overweight and by then I was getting the rude comments.

xx

i disagree- this all just shows if you are rude, mean and cruel enough to a person- they might change themselves to look more pleasant to you/who ever said it. How many of these posts are people going on just fine and even happy with their day and all of a sudden someone feels is appropriate to be mean to them/ hurt thier feelings because they do not like the way they look.

I don't call it fat acceptance. its called keep your personal opinions about a persons body to yourself.

I agree with the above post. It's not fair to be cruel and mean to overweight people just because they do not fit into society's expectations! It's ok to have opinion but if its not positive, it's better not to be shared! Come on, people could obese for several reasons from being lazy to fatal hormone conditions. It's not fair judge anyone without knowing their story.
    The world is cruel, and when we are fat, we are targets.

That's reality, so I can either lose the weight or suck it up.
    I choose to be fit for a host of reasons, but one of them is that I don't want to be the target of people's inane jabs.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I was running a Warrior Dash...actually running...and I passed a thinner chick who was *walking* and after I went by she said, "Oh no, I am NOT getting passed by a fat chick"...she started running and passed me (eventually I passed her again because she didn't have the endurance, but I'll never forget it - it was my first race).

I was running a 10 mile race once and a guy caught up to me and read the back of my sweatshirt. It said 'State Champs.' He asked if it was track or cross country. When I told him it was marching band, he said he couldn't lose to a clarinet and took off. (I didn't play clarinet, and I didn't catch him again.)