Most annoying comments people make about dieting

Options

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    my mother-in-law and i were talking one day. hadn't seen her in many years. she says to me "you know chirs (former sister-in-law) had gained allot of weight she is bigger than a house. just a little bigger than you". it floored me. but, to find out when she moved just a few miles from us. that was her and she said things mean all the the time to everyone. even the greatgrands ages 9 & 6 at the time. she has since moved to another state and DH hasn't talked to her in 3 years now.
  • KMAMinx13
    KMAMinx13 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't discuss my food plan or exercise with other people - too many busybodies. They don't understand how I eat or exercise and seem to only want to pass judgment based on their "knowledge". I don't tell other people how to eat so I don't appreciate their directives to me. It's too bad that people can't just support others instead of always trying to subvert others. That's why this forum is so good. :~)
  • denise3085
    denise3085 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My 95 lb. MIL and I were talking, and I mentioned that I gave away all my clothes that were too big for me now. She responded, "You're going to be up **** creek if you gain your weight back."
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I always hate the "don't lose any more!!!" I get this from my family especially... it's like, I PROMISE I'm doing this the healthy way; I'm building muscles and eating well. If I lose more, it's because my body deems it necessary still.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Gasp! You're eating [fill in the blank]?

Are you allowed to eat [whatever]?

How many Points is that? (for the WW crowd)

You're making the rest of us look bad.

Did you stop eating? (member at my old gym)

I could have sworn you had weight loss surgery.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Having been mentally congratulating myself for gaining very little, based on how my clothes fit, over Christmas, my flatmate upon her return said "Do you think you've put on a lot of weight over Christmas?". She only ever comments when she has something negative to say - such a lovely, passive-aggressive comment...
  • TinaRodina
    TinaRodina Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    "You're not really THAT fat"
    "You look good with a little fat on ya"
  • kalaryn
    Options
    Mine is.... "you are skinny, you shouldnt have to watch what you eat".

Do people really think skinny people can eat everything and stay that way? I have a healthy body because I watch what I eat and exercise.

I have the same issue as you amy041976, I'm actually trying to gain weight though but people look at me funny when I say I'm on a diet. They will remark but you're skinny and that's when I explain to them that a diet is monitoring what you eat so, yes, skinny people can diet too.
  • ManicMonday
    Options
    I have a couple, one is "Oh but you dont look that big" I am 299lbs I clearly am not small LOL and when thinnier people who really dont need to lose weight go "OMG I so need to go on a diet I'm huge" I must look the size of a house to them. i appreciate everyone views themselves differently but dont say things like that in front of someone who is obviously much much larger than yourself.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    bro in law when talking to my sister about getting pizza for lunch: "she doesn't know what that is"
    bro in law when i'm drinking water: "are you hungry?"
    bro in law at Thanksgiving: "the holidays are made to get fat and NYE for the resolution to lose weight"

yeah, my sis has been married to him for almost 10 years.. not sure why at times. Besides his idiotic comments, tho, he is nice. :indifferent:
  • dragginfli
    dragginfli Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your on a diet? OH Is it New Years again?
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Oh how I look forward to the day when I get to hate that one!! It will happen this year, though! Arg....forgot the quote.
    (add me to the list of people who shouldn't be allowed on forums, lol.)
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options

Mom & others: You're starting to look like an anorexic.

This!!!! I so hate that one.

Oh how I look forward to the day I get to hate that one! This year it will happen.
  • harrydresden
    Options
    What annoys me the most, is people assuming things like MFP etc, are anything other than lifestyle monitors, and lifestyle changes. It's not a freaking diet, and if it is, you're going to fail. It's LIFE. You need to eat well, period, to be healthy, happy, and fit. There's no "diet" to it. :/
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    My comment is from my mother, and I have heard it for years....."But you have such a pretty face"...basically means, you are pretty behind all that fat! So not a compliment mom!!!
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    Do you have to work out everyday? Who are you Jane Fonda? This one from my mom. It gets on my nerves!
    Or here have this candybar it won't hurt you.
  • bookin01
    Options
    I told my Dr. that I had lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I was so excited b/c I have a hard time losing due having a few health issues.
    My Dr.'s response: "That's good, but you can do better. Shoot for the stars!" Then talked about this 500 cal. diet.
    Ugg! I really like my Dr. but could not believe he said this. By him saying this I lost my motivation for a few months, but I'm back now. I have to do this for me!
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    (supposedly supportive) friend who is also somewhat trying to eat better and exercise: "Oh, we don't have enough cheese for all of the burgers, YOU could just go without, YOU don't need the calories..." or "LOOK! he made this fudge for me, it's so good, but you CAN'T have any" or... "have you seen how many calories are in that?! What? You're eating it all?! Hmm" or even "I have so many calories left for today" even though they just said they were starving! Then maybe you should EAT?
    It just bugs me when they are supposedly trying to get healthier, too, but I am the one working my butt off and she wants to say what I can and can't eat. Excuse me? I am an adult and will decide for myself what the heck I want to eat. If you can't be supportive then worry bout your dang self!
    OH, and it really gets to me when someone who hasn't been trying to loose weight gets a compliment right in front of me but I am trying so hard and no comment. :( Like, you haven't noticed that I have gone down a whole size? Really, because I can see it. I motivate/compliment myself.... ARRG.
    LOL that was a nice vent! :)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I get real annoyed when MFP closes out my day and people comment to nit pick on me using mayo or BBQ sauce even though I am short like 825 calories for the day!!!!

No one does this to me, but I've seen it on some of my friends feeds. Like they wait with bated breath until someone closes out the day and then they go over the diary with a fine tooth comb.

I've gotten from family: " Wow what happened, are you sick?"
    "Are you on meth?"
    "Oh cmon, eating (insert some sort high fat, processed food) won't hurt, have a piece, don't be so stuck up!"
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I told my Dr. that I had lost 30 lbs in 4 months. I was so excited b/c I have a hard time losing due having a few health issues.
    My Dr.'s response: "That's good, but you can do better. Shoot for the stars!" Then talked about this 500 cal. diet.
    Ugg! I really like my Dr. but could not believe he said this. By him saying this I lost my motivation for a few months, but I'm back now. I have to do this for me!

I had a friend who did the 'Diet Results' 500 calorie diet. She got some kind of shot once a week and ate 500 calories. She lost a butt load of weight, but actually looked more sickly than healthy. He was an actual doctor too!