Swearing?

Options

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I also find it interesting that several people on here are saying that it is okay in certain situations, but not okay in others. For example, let's say one says he or she would not cuss in front of his or her boss, but would in front of his or her friends. This sounds like you consider your friends less worthy.

Why do you choose not to cuss in front of your children? Because you know it isn't the best thing for them? Well, then why do it in front of others, either?

One time my son's 5th grade reading class was reading a book that had all kinds of bad language in it. Ridiculous! Why? Because if he had stepped out into the hall and said those same words, he probably would have gotten detention.

My thoughts exactly.
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I find swearing unattractive with both sexes. I avoid people who swear. How do I put this nicely?? Swearing makes people sound lower class, uneducated, like they don't know a proper word to say so they swear. I know there are very educated people who swear but it sounds so wrong side of the tracks.

All the more reason for me to swear then, I guess. I hate classism. :)

I thought I was dropping f-bombs before because I liked to. I didn't realize that I was inadvertently fighting stereotypes and breaking down walls in the process! Look at me, folks! I'm an educated, intelligent woman (from the 'right' side of the tracks, whatever that means) who swears because she CAN. It's not just for men and hobos anymore! I'm like a freaking pioneer.

;)
  • MercuryBlue
    Options
    I find it offensive and, in my opinion, it shows a lack of intelligence. Can't a person come up with more descriptive words to get their point across? Is their vocabulary really that limited?

And I think this sums it up very nicely,

Ephesians 4:29 - "Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edficiation according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear."

Athiest 2012: "Eff that noise." I have a fantastic vocabulary, for what it's worth. Swear words just happen to be a part of that vocabulary. :)
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Abraham Lincoln
  • MercuryBlue
    Options
    Yes. Women should at all times be silent and obedient. Right. Forgot.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think of the Orbitz commerical about cleaning dirty mouths...

"Who are you calling a cootie queen you lint licker!!!"

That's one of my favorite commercials! I just told my daughter she should say "lint licker" instead of b****. Much funnier!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I don't have a problem with the actual words. Just when they're said in public places or are a constant.
    I replace swearing with other words. What the fudge. Bollocking hell. Shhhiuugar.

Really? I find that rather juvenile, to be honest.

I curse like a trooper. I am an Aussie, I think it's more culturally acceptable over there, frankly. Since I moved to the US I've noticed cursing is less common and less acceptable here, particularly the 'c' word! And definitely for women.

I curse as part of normal conversation, but not when there are children or delicate types around. I find overt references to religion and 'morality' far more offensive. If someone asks me to tone it down, I will do so. I find most people far less willing to change open references indicating homophobia, racism or other assorted prejudice than I am willing to reign in cursing. Everyone has their own comfort level.

Yes, I am Australian and I feel the same way, I have no real issue with any swear word or the frequency at which swear words are used. I think it might be a cultural thing.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I personally curse like a sailor, I don't understand why curse words are bad. Especially when some people who "don't curse" say things like "frick" or "son of a monkey's uncle" ...you know what they mean so why is that not as bad as saying the actual word?

Even with my opinion on cursing though...I still am smart enough to know when I shouldn't use such words (ie. at work, near small children, etc)

Aye aye, captain! I'm a sailor as well :)
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    I personally curse like a sailor, I don't understand why curse words are bad. Especially when some people who "don't curse" say things like "frick" or "son of a monkey's uncle" ...you know what they mean so why is that not as bad as saying the actual word?

Even with my opinion on cursing though...I still am smart enough to know when I shouldn't use such words (ie. at work, near small children, etc)

Im the same way
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have at trucker's mouth, but like you said only when I have road rage or I'm telling someone off or just super pissed off. If someone did this during casual dinner, um, yeah, that's pretty disconcerting. I mean, I'd be embarrassed and tell that person they're embarrassing me or to substitute other words. I'd even ask them, "Are you always this "*****y?"" "That time of the month?" "Got any tranquilizers?"

I know my man doesn't like it when I go on my rants. I mainly stick to doing it at home or in the car. It's how I vent.
    (edit) I gotta add I like using the Chihuhua Duchess as my punching bag. I'm always cussing the family dog out. It's awesome. She responds lovingly to all my vulgarity. I just love it.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It depends who I'm around. My husband's family and my parents don't care for it, so I don't around them. My brother and I do it just to watch our mom's eyebrows go up (we're in a 40s but still kids when it comes to bugging mom!) If I'm out with the girls, and we're enjoying being away from the kids and such, it gets very "spicy" --- unless there are kids around.

I really hate it when I'm out to dinner with my daughter and someone one table over is dropping F'bombs all over the place. That's just not cool.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have a potty mouth.

Big time.

I think about trying to curb my vulgarity all the time, but I enjoy the colorful things that come out of my mouth too much to stop.

I don't say G.D., though. That's the only one I don't say.

Ever.

**edited to say: I do watch my mouth in public, however. I just find it rude and very un-classy (it's the Southern in me) to be dropping f-bombs in public for any & everyone to hear. My vulgarity stays at home or work where I'm comfortable.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Words have meaning, even curse words.

I have no trouble with someone using those words when the situation calls for it. Sometimes one just has to say "WHAT THE *@#&amp;!" But if one uses that word in every sentence, what does one say when they are really frustrated and at their wits end? Same goes for !*^% , ><?), and \)(|#$. (I certainly don't want my posting privileges to be suspended for using the words here)
    I have less trouble with people swearing than with people rendering otherwise descriptive words meaningless.

Do I swear? Rarely. When I do, it would be in your best interest to run for cover.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I tend to use them in humor more than anger.

For example: We have cats, one of them is really good at making the litter box stink. It's bad, he takes a dump and RUNS from the room. Therefore, he is often referred to as "Sh***yKitty."

JM

Oh my goodness! I thought only my bad cat did that. He'll poo in the litter pan then take off running like he's afraid the poo is gonna get him. :laugh: :laugh: Ok so maybe he's normal after all. :ohwell:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I really hate it when I'm out to dinner with my daughter and someone one table over is dropping F'bombs all over the place. That's just not cool.

I sat at a Friday's one day with my family and had to endure the next table over. It had 2 tweens and probably the father of one of them. Mainly one tween was speaking and every other word was "LIKE". LIKE oh me gawd, he LIKE came up to me and LIKE looked at me and LIKE we went here and LIKE there and then LIKE we saw LIKE this LIKE really LIKE cool stuff, LIKE... <<<This went on for a whole hour. We started tallying the "LIKE's" on a napkin. <<< MORRO of the STORRO, I'd have welcomed the F-BOMBS at this point. My head was pounding by the time we left.
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty "old school" about swearing and don't have a habit of using profanities. A woman who swears so much that it's a subconscious part of her vernacular is a major turn-off for me. While I'd rather not hear profanity at all, I tend to tolerate it, to a certain degree, from others. However, if all the adjectives you have in your vocabulary start with "F", "D", "S" and can't get past four letters, I really start to question your command of the English language.
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    To me, swearing cheapens a person and makes them look low class. I would rather sound classy than trashy. So for me.....it would be a total turn off.
    Just sayin.....
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have deleted countless swearing mfpers from my friends list. major turnoff.

Classless as far as I am concerned...yea, I am one tuff cookie:wink:
  • SamBuck123
    Options
    I think that swearing just isnt cute. espcially on a female....BUT i swear like a trucker oh my goodness its awful!!...its like regular words to me in a conversation. I try to cut back but it just comes out lol im a loud blunt person and sweaing just is natural to me. Dont get me wrong i AM A LADY and know how to act, i do have home training. I dont go out to eat and in public places just throwing the F bomb around but i do swear often. its just me.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    cussing is just a sign of low vocabulary and lack of imagination,suppressed creativity.

Unless you are watching the 49ers kick the ever loving f$%^&#g $h3t out of the Raiders.