What kind of breakfast keeps you feeling full?

Options
So what kind of breakfast keeps you feeling full & satisfied? Do you tend to eat more protein or more carbs? What do you eat first thing in the morning that helps keep the munchies & snacking at bay?

I tend to like a mix of protein and carbs. I feel fuller having a serving of Kashi Go Lean Crunch (with soy protein) & a cup of skim milk than if I eat a whole bagel with cream cheese. The bagel doesn't make me feel very full and I wind up hungry about an hour and a half later.

What works for you???

Replies

• kwheelr
    kwheelr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I make a hot cereal wiht ground flaxseeds and coconut milk (equal part of each), throw in some nuts and seeds, sweeten with stevia and top with raspberries. No hunger.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    The key is high protein and fiber content. I have a protein smoothie.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I actually heard that you should eat most of your carbs in breakfast and during the day eat lighter. I personally eat light rasin toast and my coffee and i am good til about 10am then i snack on my cottage cheese doubles keeps me going in the am.
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I drink spinach smoothies and they keep me full for hours.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Bacon and then eggs cooked in the leftover bacon grease. Srsly I can't eat til dinner if I have that for breakfast. :P
  • michiganderrdh
    michiganderrdh Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake w/berries and Keifer every morning. I also eat frequently so shake at 6:30 and snack at 9:30 :)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The breakfast that keeps me full the longest is anything with good protein, fiber, and fat.
    The lower fat I go, the hungrier I get.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Try fat free (or a low fat percentage) cottage cheese with a lower carb high fiber bagel. ;)
  • pjocannon
    pjocannon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - it sticks with me all morning.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    So what kind of breakfast keeps you feeling full & satisfied? Do you tend to eat more protein or more carbs? What do you eat first thing in the morning that helps keep the munchies & snacking at bay?

I tend to like a mix of protein and carbs. I feel fuller having a serving of Kashi Go Lean Crunch (with soy protein) & a cup of skim milk than if I eat a whole bagel with cream cheese. The bagel doesn't make me feel very full and I wind up hungry about an hour and a half later.

What works for you???

I've tried many different things from cereal to toast to just a cup of tea (or two) to fruit, but there is only one thing that keeps me going until lunch without feeling starving and that is eggs. Doesn't matter how they are cooked - boiled (hard or soft), poached, scrambled or an omelette - as long as eggs are involved, I feel good.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Greek yogurt and granola. It's so delicious, only about 300 calories, and easily keeps me full until lunch time. Sometimes I'm not even hungry once lunch rolls around.

I also really like a bagel thin with natural peanut butter, in case I want something more savory in the morning.
  • I_am_Holly
    Options
    I agree with others here. Lots of protein. Sometimes I have 2 veggie burgers with a slice of cheese between them. Lately it's been a 3 egg white omlette with fresh yellow and orange peppers, a little salsa and some shredded cheddar. 200 cals. I used the liquid egg whites and never more than 1/4 cup of the cheese.
  • Aroz25
    Aroz25 Posts: 40
    Options
    Rolled Oats mixed with yoghurt and chia seeds. I usually let it sit for about half an hour to absorb then put in the microwave for a few mins. The chia seeds expand and help you feel full longer
  • Alphawolf02
    Options
    I, too, have tried many breakfast foods (cereal, toast...), but I am usually hungry by 10am. It wouldn't be a big deal, except I can't really snack while I am at work. The only thing I have found to fill me up is a mug of hot chocolate; that keeps me full until around noon. I noticed that a few people are saying that eggs keep them full, so maybe I will try that.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    - Old-fashioned oatmeal topped with 2 tbsp chopped walnuts and sweetened with sugar free maple syrup, cinnamon & nutmeg
    - Kashi go lean cereal with skim milk
    - Whey protein smoothie and some fresh fruit
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In a word....eggs. I eat two whole eggs + 4 whites and 2 tbsp salsa scrambled together. It is a large and satisfying breakfast for 220 cals.
  • gbsngrl
    gbsngrl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eggs...my favorite right now is an egg white and low-fat cheddar omelet with some berries and a slice of whole wheat toast. That generally keeps me full...but I do like to snack mid-morning!
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    Thomas bagel thin (cinnamon raisin) and a 1/3 less fat Philadelphia cream cheese mini ! So satisfying and doesn't make me feel like I'm eating diet food, and together they are only 190 calories!!!
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Yolk and all. I seriously eat them for breakfast. With toast! And sometimes cheese!
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a half a banana a teaspoon of vanilla extract sometimes cinnamon and splenda