Who believes in Internet Dating?

Options

Replies

• chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I met a girl online a few months ago who showed up dressed as a snake.

I made a thread about it.

Good times.

I shouldn't have read that whilst drinking tea - the tea just came out my nose whilst laughing!

I'm sure there are nice people on online dating, but I found an overzealous/stalker type. had to have their number blocked after they wouldn't leave me alone. and have never gone back to the local pub incase they turn up...

But I know people who have found that person. It's not a case of 'believing in internet dating' it exists - believe it's true! It just never worked for me.
  • donjshaw
    Options
    Love it - met my wife online - she was the first person I met and I removed my profile the same day. Great! :)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    No offence to anyone who have met their partner through internet but I was just wondering what's your thought on this topic?

I personally wouldn't do internet dating because for me I see it as "What is the point in all this, if you cant hold your man/women in person, go out to dinner or just hang out in general, and how you know if he is actually faithful," for me you can never trust someone's words . For me words mean nothing. & obveriously If I don't see the guy in person, how would i know If he's not cheating regardless of all the phone calls you two have made, Skype'd etc..

I don't know, Personally I just don't get the whole point in it, for me its just a waste of time and always better to have the real thing then computer screen esp even worse if they live in another COUNTRY!. Sorry if anyone finding this a bit offensive and don't mean too but if you have found love through internet then Congratulations. :)

Internet dating - two people meeting on the internet, having a relationship or falling in love - that is silly to me (sorry).. there is a lot that goes on physically between two people and meeting in real life can change how you feel about them.

Dating someone you met off the internet - Fine.. doesn't matter whether you met a person on the street, at a club, at a cafe, on the train, or on the net.. they are still the same person :) I knew my partner over the internet (casually, we didn't talk that much) and had a chance encounter in real life. After many years of being friends we got together and now have a family together.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I quit looking for women in bars well because lets just say ive learned that you cant shake a *kitten* tree and expect an angel to fall out.
    Online is alittle harder for us guys because of the amount of shirtless guys posing in the mirror constantly messaging women with penis pics. Guys? Ive never heard a woman say that works. Your penis is not a worm on a hook trying to catch a catfish.

HAHAHA! This made me laugh so hard!

Waahaha, I just saw this. I do not get why guys think this is attractive! Another thing that baffles me is the number of guys on video chat sites just masturbating (with only their penis showing).. It's like they're obsessed with their own private parts or something!
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No offence to anyone who have met their partner through internet but I was just wondering what's your thought on this topic?

I personally wouldn't do internet dating because for me I see it as "What is the point in all this, if you cant hold your man/women in person, go out to dinner or just hang out in general, and how you know if he is actually faithful," for me you can never trust someone's words . For me words mean nothing. & obveriously If I don't see the guy in person, how would i know If he's not cheating regardless of all the phone calls you two have made, Skype'd etc..

I don't know, Personally I just don't get the whole point in it, for me its just a waste of time and always better to have the real thing then computer screen esp even worse if they live in another COUNTRY!. Sorry if anyone finding this a bit offensive and don't mean too but if you have found love through internet then Congratulations. :)

I met my BF of going into our 3rd year match.com. I wouldn't trade him for the world. When you move to a new place with NO one there it's hard to find someone. I don't believe in meeting people at bars and clubs........ plus I am pretty shy anyways. :-)
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I have experience with both of these scenerios....I met my current girlfriend on Zoosk. She's great although I met a few weirdos too.
    I also fell for someone that I met on here. It's really tough because of the distance between us. If we were closer, I have no doubt that it would be a match made in heaven. I won't say her name, but she knows who she is:blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I was all for trying until I read some profiles that were obviously not truthful. It then occured to me that I could write anything I wanted on that page and get a million responses. If I am NOTHING like my profile except the picture, what will happen in the future??

My friend said "OH WAIT, someone LIED on the internet!!???":laugh: :laugh:

After that I just read the responses for a pick me up. Which I guess is kind of unfair to the dude on the other side sending the wink or call me note:ohwell:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I met a girl online a few months ago who showed up dressed as a snake.

I made a thread about it.

Good times.

hisssssssssss

:laugh:
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I believe.

7 years and 2 sons later...

I believe ;)

E
  • mortla
    mortla Posts: 73
    Options
    I met my ex-husband in a common interest chat room over 10 years ago. We engaged in a long distance relationship for almost a year and it was really hard on me. Let me just say I was completely put off by internet dating/long distance dating after him. The only good that came of our union was our 8 year old daughter.

I have met nothing but psychos and liars in the online dating world. Ooops I forgot to also add MARRIED! Then again I also speak from a bitter place. I don't think there's anyone out there for me anymore :(
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Internet dating isn't for everyone. You have to be careful about it; it is beyond easy to misrepresent yourself online.

I never thought very highly of internet dating until I gave it a try. I met the love of my life on OKcupid.com. We talked for three weeks, and met in a public place after that. We have been together for 2 years, and couldn't be happier. She is the best thing that's ever come into my life.

However, there are a zillion creeps. I have nothing against those who choose to have multiple partners, but a guy with three pregnant girlfriends messaged me once, looking to expand his collection. He told me that he enjoyed tinkering with sex toys in his spare time, and they were much better once you put stronger motors in them. :noway:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Internet dating is just a way to meet someone you wouldn't ordinarily meet in every day life. Granted, I do know some people who carry on an entire relationship, or what they believe is one, in chat rooms and web cams, but most of all it's just a way to find out another person exists, then they move onto dating like any other couple who met in any other way.

I met my husband online 12 years ago. He lived about 3 hours away, but was already looking to move to Pennsylvania from Maryland. We saw each other every weekend (oh, how I miss $1/gallon gas!), talked every night, and moved in together after about five months, got married after 2 years. If it hadn't been long distance, we might have waited longer to move in together, but it didn't make sense for him to move to another state and get his own place when I already had one. And... things worked out pretty darn good.

I know other couples who met online and lived thousands of miles apart. It was still the same situation. They saw each other when they could, then one or both relocated.

I don't know of any successful relationships that stayed strictly online. At some point, you need to spend time face to face.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in Internet Dating.

Easter Bunny
    Santa Claus
    Global Warming
    Charlie Sheen
    Internet Dating
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I met the love of my life on Myspace. Although we lived 30 minutes away from each other. We met in person after 3 days of talking online. We have been together for almost 5 years now! I agree with you if the two people live far away from each other. However in my case, my love lived close by. We are with each other everyday now!
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I quit looking for women in bars well because lets just say ive learned that you cant shake a *kitten* tree and expect an angel to fall out.
    Online is alittle harder for us guys because of the amount of shirtless guys posing in the mirror constantly messaging women with penis pics. Guys? Ive never heard a woman say that works. Your penis is not a worm on a hook trying to catch a catfish.

HAHAHA! This made me laugh so hard!

Waahaha, I just saw this. I do not get why guys think this is attractive! Another thing that baffles me is the number of guys on video chat sites just masturbating (with only their penis showing).. It's like they're obsessed with their own private parts or something!

I dont understand the video chat thing either. I tried chatroulette thinking hey it would be cool to chat with random women from all over the world. Yeah, that is not what happened. Every single person it connected me to was a dude jerking off. Seriously dudes. WTF. Im obsessed with my penis too but I be damned if I am going to just start jerking off to random strangers.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Well, mine is obviously not the typical result. My now fiance and I met purely by chance online almost 2 years ago (Jan. 13, 2010.) Two days after we met, we started our relationship. Neither one of us are very good about trusting people, but for some reason we fell head over heels very fast and completely trusted each other. He lived in Connecticut and I in Florida. He asked me to marry him on thanksgiving, and next weekend is our two year anniversary. I also moved up here to be with him on December 15, 2010, just before our one year anniversary. I'm obviously not saying that this happens to everyone, but I'm just saying you shouldn't discount one way of finding the person you could end up spending the rest of your life with :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If being together is actually achievable and you're smart about the whole thing, go for it. I've seen a lot of women who meet guys in far-off locations, and it looks pretty obvious from the outside that they're being taken advantage of.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on a dating site that was called Socialnet.com. I think its now Match. That was 12 years ago this week. We will be married 11 years this May. I don't know how they work these days but you could I suppose specify that you will only date someone in your local area instead of worldwide. I wish everyone lots of luck with this as it isn't easy to find someone.
  • MsKittyCAT
    Options
    The internet had been a social outlet for me for more than a dozen years. Most of the people in my life (actual in-person interactions) I've met through the internet somehow, whether it was a personals site or common interest forum or chat room, or an introduction from another friend that I met online. Real friendships are possible and I'm very thankful for them, have some amazing people in my life as a result, some for as long as I've been online!!. As people age it seems harder to meet people and make friends. I don't currently work outside the home, go to church, or go to bars often. In person I'm actually shy and quiet til I get comfortable so meeting new people has never been easy for me. I feel very awkward. How else do you meet people these days?

Never married, no kids, not dating anyone right now. I do have profiles on several sites. I generally don't carry on conversations geared towards dating or relationships with those that aren't located close enough to actually meet in person and frequently spend time with conveniently. Don't base decisions about people based on pictures or profiles online, or even on phone conversations. Don't allow myself to get overly vested in a situation before physically meeting face to face. Meeting in person can be a big eye opener if the attraction just isn't there. Chemistry and pheromones are illusive, can't be faked or manufactured no matter how much you might want them to be, it is either there or not. I am open to a relationship that might come out of a meeting through the internet, but just chatting online or on the phone is not a real romantic relationship in my eyes without actually spending time together in person.
  • zetsubou
    zetsubou Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Signed up for loads of dating websites, but never had the courage to meet up with the person.
    Although, I found some cool friends with the same interest through forums with the help of almighty interent haha