WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    WoW!I love the posts.I agree with many.Why change the forum.It`s great the way it is.
    Mary,thanks for the birthday list.
    Chiclet,so sorry you are struggling.I took care of my sister in law for 14 months,I didn`t stay 24 hours and it was challenging.
    I hope you can find some time for you.You can get burnt out easily.
    Busy day and just finishing dinner.so gonna say good night.
    HUGS
    jane
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Okay, I finally have time to sit down and tell you what has been happening with me. As far as my eating and exercising go, too much of one and not enough of the other. You guess which is which. My new grandson, Isaac, is 4 weeks old today, and is a Mary Poppins baby, practically perfect in every way. For this I give thanks. The most exciting moment of my holiday was when my oldest daughter, her husband, and my grandson Luke (who had his first birthday on December 29th) drove up from their brand new home in Arkansas and surprised us on December 30th. I cried. It was wonderful, and they stayed until the 3rd.

This past weekend has been very unpredictable and busy. My husband, dog, and I, along with my daughter, son in law, and 3 grandsons were to make the 150 mile drive to my mother's Friday night and back on Saturday evening for a belated Christmas, as mother had not yet met her newest great grandson. The weekend started when my 3 year old grandson, David, slipped off of his chair at lunch and broke his collarbone. We were still set to go, but running a little late. We went to pick up my daughter's family just as my 6 year old grandson, Jacob, started throwing up. I finally sent the entire crew except Jacob and I, and brought Jacob home with me to spend the night. After a night of sitting with the stomach flu kid, he was better, so he and I drove down Saturday morning and then back home Saturday evening. Today David went to the orthopedist, who prescribed a brace for his shoulder. They no more than got him home and got the brace on him, and he started throwing up. So tonight I went back and got Jacob and took him to the school board meeting where his class was saying the pledge of allegiance to open the meeting. What a time these last few days have been! I am now praying that no one else gets sick.

You might remember that I had been supervising detention after school for the last 9 weeks and was looking forward to being through with that, hoping that I could once again find time to exercise. Unfortunately, a coworker had a death in her family, so I am covering for another 2 weeks. I hope to get back to the swimming pool after that. (I did make it there one day over the holidays.)

I had better get back to work here. I am looking forward to posting more often again. Here's to smart choices! Mary
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    To change your calorie goals click the "My Home" tab up top. Then, right under it, click "Goals". Scroll down to the bottom and there's a green button that says "Change Goals". Click that.

Now click "Custom" and hit the "Continue" button. And there you are!
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    To change your calorie goals click the "My Home" tab up top. Then, right under it, click "Goals". Scroll down to the bottom and there's a green button that says "Change Goals". Click that.

Now click "Custom" and hit the "Continue" button. And there you are!

And if you need help finding the BMR, which is what you said you wanted to change to, go to the "Tools" tab and choose "BMR".
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    thanks I was able to change to BMR for now. :)
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, and happy Monday! A pretty good day today. Last week has been rough with exercise as my Mom has been visiting, but now that she's back home I must get back on track! Did Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds 5 mile walk today and lived to tell the tale.

Trying to get to know everyone, but can't possible reply to all. Bear with me as I learn who you are, pretty please!

rjadams - Ritter is adorable. I'm smitten too!

Pam3 - I do log in advance and it's incredibly helpful to me. I've found I do better if I have a plan - if it's not on the plan, it doesn't go in my mouth. That is my number one rule. BUT, since nothing is perfect I don't complete my diary until the end of the day when I've finished eating and drinking for the day. That way I can make adjustments if circumstances change (dinner doesn't get made and we substitute something else quicker, for example).

Chiclet - {{hugs}}. Not much I can say, but my heart is with you.

Shmog09 - I'm with msh0530. Peanut butter, especially all natural peanut butter, is great. GNC and Vitamin Shoppe have a high protein high fiber peanut butter called Power Pb that is fabulous.

kckramp - congrats on a great exercise day!

msh0530 - I'm sure you're not biased at all and that new grandson really is "perfect in every way!"

Hubby having minor surgery tomorrow, in and out. That means I have to cook for a few days. Hopefully I won't poison anyone.

Virginia
  • kathrynmathes
    Options
    And I think they fill you up. For me it is the toppings/preparation method that are the killer.
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Good to see everyone here tonight.
    Welcome to the new friends on this board.

Chiclet.....I can only send you a hug. Just know that a year and a half of doing what you are doing is a VERY long time! I think Cathy said it so well....at least you now have some knowledge that your thinking had been correct all along. I hope you gather all the supports you can to help you during this time. I think this board is a great place to come and check in.

Mary..Glad to see you back. What a wild weekend. So glad you have that wonderful surprise visit!

I am just finishing up on my first week of the 17 day diet and the good thing is that it gives me a structure. I got real sloppy after Christmas-- with food and not getting to the gym so getting back on track feels good. I expected to just drop back to my low before the holidays....but that didn't happen. Things feel better as the week has passed.

Have a good night,
    Sally
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Woops, double post.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Ritter: Robin, your new boy looks darling and Bodi looks like a model big brother. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Public diary: too true, barbiecat, knowing my friends can see my diary keeps me extra accountable, but I limit viewers to friends.

Mixing up the exercise routine – I’m starting a spin class on Saturday 21st– that’ll be interesting! I got in my Monday C25K workout (I can run a whole 10 minutes without stopping :bigsmile: ) and a strength training session. The Joan Pagano book didn't really tell me anything I don't already know, but I'm going to take a closer look at it and see if I can get some new ideas for my workouts. I'm joining an intermediate (yikes) circuit training class this week, that'll be exciting.

Planning the meals – Exermom/Michele, I hope you got back to your on-line recipe file. I keep a lot of old fashioned books on my shelves. My current favorites are WW “Take Out Tonight” and a local book featuring BC wine and cheese. A lot of my cooking is improvised, though. Tonight's highlight was the salad described below.

Girl Scout/Guide cookies: I would NEVER be able to resist eating them all. Wow, Michele, you have willpower!

Taking care of twins – Amanda, that’s probably a pretty good workout routine!

Logging days in advance: Yes I do, I plan my food and log it in advance quite often. I don’t log the exercise in advance. It’s such a reward to get home and do it after the work is done!

Jillian Michaels “Mastering your Metabolism” AHealthierSuz, please keep me posted on the book, if it sounds like I good one I’ll order a copy.

Salad Sistas I am in for week two. Today’s version: thin sliced mushrooms & hard boiled egg, a tsp of Dijon mustard and some balsamic vinegar. Toss a couple of cups of greens on top. Mix it up and share with DH.

JipsyJudy, I use my iPhone ap all the time to plan meals when I’m out, great to hear I’m not the only one! Where do you find chia seeds?

Chicletgirl21: My heart goes out to you, do you have any place you can “escape” even for just a few minutes now and then?

Peanut butter? Ohhhh yeah! :love:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Pam - almost every day I prelog in my breakfast since I usually have it ready. I sometimes will log my dinner before I have it, but not always. I almost never log my water and exercise until the last thing in the day. I do mark down in my calendar what exercise I will do. Like tomorrow I'll do this Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD that I have. Don't think I've ever done that DVD, or if I have it was a long time ago because I don't remember it.

caminogirl - welcome back!!!

Suz - was it you who gave the suggestion of having a bit of apple cider vinegar and that will take away the carb cravings? Works, I can tell you that!

Desiree - so glad you had such a great day! Sometimes what our bodies need most is just a day off. I know that that helps me almost all the time.

Welcome dbutorac, katahrynmathes, workmum, ctalbot, Debbie and any other newcomers that I may have unintentionally missed

Beth - have to tell you that I LOVE your avatar. It's so bright and makes me smile. But then again, lots of others make me smile, too. Like pics of babies, things like that. But your face is so "smiley". You mention how you were over on protein. I really do wish that MFP would make up a chart of how much protein you have in relation to carbs in relation to fats. That would be so helpful. It really would be helpful to have the chart by meals, but that's probably too much. As far as increasing the fats, I've found that a piece of chocolate is usually high in fats but if you have like just one Dove promise the calories aren't too bad (less than 50)

cathy - I tend to agree with you about becoming a "group". I'm a member of another group, and I find that many times I just delete a block of posts but there might very well be something in one of those posts that I would be interested in. I'm more and more becoming of the mindset that I like this format. The worst seems to be that at times there are just so many posts that it's hard to keep up. but that can be worked around

Viv - so far Clyde hasn't shown any special interest in Bonnie, not since she came back from the vet and the "super spay". I think he said that the estrogen will be in her system for a week or so, but it must be lower because Clyde isn't showing any special interest. This isn't common, but it's also not unheard of. But she's doing real well

Our neighbor was selling Girl Scout cookies, so I had to buy some. But I did get most of the ones that Vince likes but I don't. Got some for Jessica, too. But hers I can just put in her bedroom -- out of sight

A weight gain for me definitely conincides with eating after dinner. Never fails, even if I'm low on the calories for the day. As silly as it may look, I HAVE to measure out my food when I'm at home. If I don't, I know that I'll fall into the trap of overestimating and that'll be dangerous.

workmum - I'm in NC and my daughter in VA just called to say how it was snowing by her. I felt happy yet sad to have to tell her that I'm in a shortsleeved sweater, wearing a light jacket outside while she's having to deal with snow. We're just having rain.

Chicklet - hun, I was getting worried about you. Post your feelings here any time. We are always open ((((big hug))))

Happy birthday to everyone who has a birthday this month

Mary - what a wonderful surprise! So sorry to hear about all the sickness your family has endured.

mazaron - I really don't have a lot of will power when it comes to Girl Scout cookies. that's why I buy a lot of ones that I don't like. I just remember when Jessica was selling them, we went to a neighbor and were told "oh, we just bought them at the grocery store". My thought was "this is your neighbor, you mean to tell me that you can't even buy one measley box from her?" I didn't say anything, but Jessica was so disappointed! I vowed then and there that I'd never let something like that happen. That's why, regardless of whether or not I need the item the school kids are selling, I'll at least give them a donation.

Did an hour of the extremepump class today. Tomorrow I'm going to do this Denise Austin Boot Camp DVD, I don't remember ever doing it, or if I did, then I did it a long time ago.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Jillian Michaels “Mastering your Metabolism” AHealthierSuz, please keep me posted on the book, if it sounds like I good one I’ll order a copy.

I'm learning lots from the book! Its quite an eye opener, written for the layperson from an endocrinology stand point. In the 2nd chapter she gives the best explanation of what happens in your body when you binge on simple carbs I've ever heard or read. I'm learning that its about so much more than quality food and exercise! Skipping meals and not enough sleep factor in too!
    Suz - was it you who gave the suggestion of having a bit of apple cider vinegar and that will take away the carb cravings? Works, I can tell you that!

Michele

Yes I am the organic apple cider vinegar gal. A teaspoonful with every meal will get he carb monster back under control in only a few days. Its also good for a sour stomach.

:flowerforyou: For the record my birthday is February 9th.

Made it through day 1 of my cleanse well under my calories. I will have to shop for more produce tomorrow though as I'm running low on avocados and salad fixins.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    so just curious - how are you supposed to make up the remaining 368 calories in your day when all you have left in the list is Fat and Sodium :laugh:

I have to somehow increase the fat in my meals....it's not like I'm using fat free foods or anything......not sure what to do - any suggestions?

remaining
    368 0 16 -11 1,516 -20
    Calories Fiber Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

there are lots of different opinions about the right amount of fat, protein, carbs, sugar, etc........sugar from fruit is not as big a problem as the sugar in candy.......very active people may need more protein than MFP suggests.......not all carbs are created equal.......there is, however, a lot of agreement that sodium should be kept low (I keep mine at 1600 and when I go over that the scale tells me that I'm retaining fluid)...stay close to clean eating and stay active and don't be too controlled by the numbers.

:bigsmile: Pam, on the subject of logging food and exercise ahead of time
    I always plan my food for the day ahead of time and stay with the plan as much as possible......I log every bite and every nibble
    sometimes I log ahead of time but not always......I don't log my exercise until I actually do it so I don't count on calories that I might not have

:drinker: :flowerforyou: JipsyJudy, I love reading "weird" food diaries......I enjoy seeing what other people are eating, but I understand your reluctance to make it public.......my "Isagenix" eating has gathered some comments

:flowerforyou: I know there are a lot of really good reasons that people don't make their food diaries public.....my comment about them was directed primarily at people who ask for suggestions about what to eat without letting us know what they're already eating.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: cookies are not allowed in my house
    if they're in the house, they're in the mouth :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that applies also to peanut butter, nuts, raisins, granola, and ice cream

:flowerforyou: the pets are home from being boarded......Bernie got in my lap or DH's lap whenever we sat down....when I took the dogs for a walk, they couldn't run fast enough to get to all the places they wanted to go, and when I lay down for a quick nap, all three pets got in bed with me.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: now I have to finish my last two glasses of water and do some more squats and get to bed so all the pets can get in bed with me.:bigsmile:
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is my Monday post, even though it is actually a few minutes after midnight.

Chiclet - what can I say that others haven't already said. My heart goes out to you - is there nowhere that your mother can go for a day - some places (here in Ottawa at least) have a respite day care where people like your mother go for a day to give the carer some time for themself. I worry that you are burning yourself out and your mother will end up in care and you too. Please keep in touch. I wish I was closer so I could perhaps, help. Hugs are winging their way to you.

It was the first night of teaching after the holidays, but I think everyone must have forgotten as time came and went and I ended up having a nice quiet evening to myself.

I went to my aquafit class this morning. It felt good to get back to something organized since before Christmas. Next class on Wednesday.
  • chicletgirl21
    chicletgirl21 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Genealace- They do have adult daycare here in California, which I would love to take advantage of and just ship mom over there for a day, but it is not free and is not covered by medicare. I wish I could afford it.It would be a blessing for me.

Thank you all for the hugs and nice thoughts from you all. You have always been there for me.

Mary- I agree with you about the formal group thing. I love this 'group' we are in and have relied on it so many times to discuss "anything". (Obviously). I am so thankful to Barbie for taking the time each month to bring it forward. If it is ever brought to a vote, I say keep it as it is!:drinker:

It's true what you all are saying. I am getting burned out. I FEEL it. Which worries me alot. I am afraid that I may crack one day. I simply do not understand how our government can not offer help to care for seniors and their caretakers. Medi-Cal does, but not Medicare. Unless they experience what I am going through and actually do it 24/7, they will never understand the necessity for it. It's no wonder that we have elder abuse. It can really drive you mad. I told a friend that for Christmas all I wanted was to be able to leave for a week and not have to worry about changing diapers: heck I cannot even name all the things I am doing for her now. It's too much to list! :explode: But the way that I am feeling inside, I know I am not going to be able to keep it up much longer. My blood pressure has skyrocketed, I'm tired all the time, I am having migraines again, and I am developing aches in my back and wrists from repeatedly doing the same thing over and over. I would love to get a massage. My body is so tense, I feel like I could snap in two. But it all costs money. Money I don't have. Times like this is when I wish I had more siblings. But even that doesn't mean you would get the help necessary nowadays.

We start a new insurance this year and hopefully I might be able to put her in a rehabilitation facility for a month which the inurance covers. She would get daily physical therapy, I would get much needed time off ( a whole month, My God!) and then when she came home she would be going to a exercise facility 2 to 3 times a week with a personal trainer to help her continue to work out. Maybe, just maybe she might get strong enough to walk. Maybe...

Well I am off to get her ready for bed and medicated. I am not even going to log my food for today, because I know I went WAY over. Tomorrow is another day.

Good night all
    Chiclet:flowerforyou:
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: For the record my birthday is February 9th.

Belated Happy Birthday SuzyQ!

Chiclet, you are a saint. I am sending you lots of good thoughts and hopefully lots of strength too. Lean on us here at mfp.
  • cindyw7
    cindyw7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Vyppeters - you are a true inspiration to me with your kindness and willingness to share, not to mention your amazing weightloss!

JipsyJudy, what is "lsagenix" eating?

Laura80111, I'm sorry about your hubby needing a job. Times are tough! I will keep you in my prayers.

Cathys01, I'm really new to MFP but I already love this group and can't imagine why anyone would want to change it.

Mary/msh0530 - WOW! what a roller coaster ride you have been on. And more importantly what a wonderful grandma you are! I'm so glad your daughter & her family surprised you. My daughter lives far away and holidays just aren't the same without her. :o(

Ok folks, I have a few questions.

1. There are comments about making your meals public. How does that work?
    2, Is there a way to have your weight loss logo/bar show up when you post on this site without it showing up on other places when you are on line?
    3. Finally, I had hiatel hernia surgery in September. I now find that my esophagus will never be the same. I have a hard time swallowing beef, turkey, etc. without gravy or some sort of sauce of them. Raw apples, carrots, celery, etc. are also a problem. Does anyone know of some site that offers healthy recipes that might help me? I find myself eating pasta dishes, etc because they are easy to swallow. But to keep the calories down, the portions are so small that I'm always feeling hungry. I know I won't be able to stay on program for a long time like they. BTW I am also type II diabetic.

Thanks everyone! God bless you.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options

3. Finally, I had hiatel hernia surgery in September. I now find that my esophagus will never be the same. I have a hard time swallowing beef, turkey, etc. without gravy or some sort of sauce of them. Raw apples, carrots, celery, etc. are also a problem. Does anyone know of some site that offers healthy recipes that might help me? I find myself eating pasta dishes, etc because they are easy to swallow. But to keep the calories down, the portions are so small that I'm always feeling hungry. I know I won't be able to stay on program for a long time like they. BTW I am also type II diabetic.

Thanks everyone! God bless you.

i just found CLEANEATING.COM...and like the recipes there....they have lots of recipes that use whole grains, like quinoa, ferro teff or tehh,dont remember...and many others....i like the texture of the grains, since i gave up the rice and pasts....hope that is thankfull...

iam off to spinning class, will come back later...have a lovely day all:flowerforyou:
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. Family birthdays are murder....they involve birthday cake. So is finding a few hidden candy canes on the Christmas tree I am finally getting taken down. Self control is not my strong suit obviously! Lol
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Ritter woke up ravenous this morning. then he and Bodi had a great game of tug of war. I am so impressed with Bodi and how great he is playing with the puppy. then I had to leave for work to the souful heart breaking sound of yipe,yipe, yipe, yipe, yarooooooo, yipe, yipe, yipe, yipe. :sad: Ugh this is harder than I thought it would be. I can't wait to get back home