WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• mixdouble
    mixdouble Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I working on mixing up my cardio work outs. Today was 30 min circuit training with light weights. I read about the workout in a book written by Olympic Rowing Medalist Brad Lewis. There are 7 exercises done in continuous sets of 10 reps with light weights. The idea is to keep your heart rate up and work specific muscle groups. The reps should not be done so fast that you lose technique. It is fun to do to bouncy dance music. Gotta watch that my heart rate stays in the target range. The exercise log shows this as strength training, but with the light weights it should be cardio.
    I find that if I plan my food for the day and enter it on the log, I can stay on track better than if I have to go back and remember each thing I ate. Does that help any of you?
  • skirchmann2atlasok
    Options
    Hi Ladies! I turn 50 this year!

It is my goal to be nifty at fifty!!! It is a change in life style for me. I am in front of the computer most of the day as a full time online student at Liberty University. (Which I love) I also home school my 10 year old daughter who is enrolled at Liberty academy online. (she loves it).

I have begun by cutting out all obvious sugar and flour. Which is my weakness. However I can already tell a difference. I also have begun walking every hour on the hour for 10 minutes.

This forces me to change my lifestyle not only work out. I am becoming more aware of what I actually am eating with MFP and it is amazing how little water I was drinking when I started actually counting. (I thought I was drinking a lot).

I am also wondering if my thyroid needs to be checked? I am 5'9" and need to lose 150 lbs. I tend to hide it well because of my height. However when I look back at High school pictures (when I was really in shape and physically active) I weighed 135 and was very healthy and not skinny at all. So I want to get back to where I was before I allowed non activity and the weight of the world to attach to me.

I am a Christian woman and love the Lord Jesus with all my heart. I want my body to represent the change He has so graciously done in my heart. I have spent the last several years walking out my faith focusing on the Jesus and His Word, now its time to allow all that He has done in me to show on the outside!

Thanks for Joining me in this journey.
  • kleinbuenstorf
    Options
    Hi everyone and belated "Happy New Year" !!!!!

Haven't posted anything in weeks and weeks and thought to rejoin this wonderful group!!
    Looking back at December : did not gain any weight through the holidays and completed "100 miles in December" challenge which I'm very happy about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I again joined "100 miles in January" and I have already completed 20 miles AND my weight is finally moving down again!!!
    I was on a plateau since fall of last year!!
    Time to do my grocery shopping and maybe a bit of yard work!!
    Greetings from sunny Texas,
    Desiree
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Made my own recipe of Pasta & Vegetable Salad this morning, thought a few of you might like to try this.

Makes about 7 cups, keeps well in the fridge.

3 c. cooked pasta shells, 1/2 c. cooked frozen baby lima beans, 1 c. cooked frozen peas, 1 c. chopped parboiled zucchini, 1/2 c. chopped red onion, 1/2 c. chopped red bell, 1/2 c. reconstituted sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil), 22 medium black olives, 10 pieces marinated artichoke hearts, 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 T. extra virgin olive oil, 1/8 t. salt, dash each dried thyme, parsley and basil.

Per 1 cup serving: 184 calories, 4 calcium, 6 fat, 6 protein, 312 sodium, 296 potassium.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!! Have been missing in action for quite a while. But here I am, back again. Meanwhile there are 10 pages of postings. Wow.

ttyl
    Rebel
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Just got the book my masseuse has been telling me about for months in today's mail: "Mastering Your Metabolism" 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones... What are you reading?
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Just got the book my masseuse has been telling me about for months in today's mail: "Mastering Your Metabolism" 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones... What are you reading?

i am reading the 17 day diet....interesting....my dinner today was grilled tilapia and leftover quinoa with the butternut squash.....my tummy is happy and full...now to wash my teeth so i dont eat anything else....have a good evening everyone:flowerforyou:
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

I had an amazing day today!! The other law clerk in my office had decorated my office this morning all full of balloons and streamers, all in my favourite colour - pink, it was fun; then she treated me to lunch and bought me a beautiful sweater. The only downside was, I ate more than I should have and I said no birthday cake, but she brought cupcakes and I had one :grumble:

Barbie - I love your picture, it is amazing :smile:

To the Newcomers, Welcome!!

This was just a quick visit, I only wanted to make sure I logged on and did not get too far behind in these numerous posts :happy:

Have a great evening, Everyone.

Take care.

Love, Cathy xx
  • sandiwelborn
    Options
    I'm 52 and a mother to five grown children who have blessed me with nine grand babies (seven are girls!). In 2012 three more little one will be added for me to love.....and chase after! I feel like a bad example being over weight and out of shape and I want to change that so I've started (AGAIN) with a fresh outlook for 2012! I want this year to be my year! I'm hoping this form and app will really make a difference in my success. At 52 I know my main road block is consistency! So that is what my goal is for 2012...to be consistant and no matter what keep moving forward! Here's to a wonderful 2012 for all of us!

Blessings.....Sandi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Nancy, I requested “Strength Training for Women” at the library…..it’s out right now and someone else has requested it ahead of me, but I’m patient.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, the first thing I learned about heart rate monitors is that they figure in your weight and age along with heart rate to determine how many calories you burn…..any list on a website won’t have those extra variables in mind….also, as you lose weight, you burn fewer calories doing the same thing.

:flowerforyou: Candu, welcome to the most supportive group of women I’ve ever known. Have you been doing belly dancing long? There’s a class where I live but I’ve never gone because I already go to three line dance classes a week and I have to guard against going overboard. When I have trouble sleeping, I go to the guest room and get in the bed and read my book---if I fall asleep, that’s great, and if I don’t then I get some uninterrupted reading time.

:flowerforyou: Genealace, I am a knitter, too. What are you knitting now?

:flowerforyou: Celticmuse, I was at goal for a long time and then I relaxed too much and put on three pounds and have been fighting with them ever since…….the last three are the toughest to get rid of……I need to stay away from the nuts and raisins. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: FitnessBarbie, you have some very admirable goals

:flowerforyou: Amckenna, recording my food was my first goal and it made a huge impact on my commitment

:flowerforyou: Jb, I love your salad ideas…..we eat a lot of salads in spring and summer when fresh veggies are best, plentiful, and more affordable

:flowerforyou: Mixdouble, what’s the name of the book with the great circuit training workout? I agree with you about logging food ahead of time so there are no surprises and no opportunities to make foolish decisions.

:flowerforyou: Rebel, it’s good to see you…..I’ve missed you

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, I am reading "Younger Next Year for Women" and I recently finished "The Thin Commandments Diet"

:drinker: :bigsmile: My day has been the usual dog walking, line dancing, working on the income tax, and spending too much time on the computer :laugh:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    2055358c12m47b0yc.gif

Happy Birthday, Cathy,

This is a picture of you enjoying the sight of the birthday cake but not eating it.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I working on mixing up my cardio work outs. Today was 30 min circuit training with light weights. I read about the workout in a book written by Olympic Rowing Medalist Brad Lewis. There are 7 exercises done in continuous sets of 10 reps with light weights. The idea is to keep your heart rate up and work specific muscle groups. The reps should not be done so fast that you lose technique. It is fun to do to bouncy dance music. Gotta watch that my heart rate stays in the target range. The exercise log shows this as strength training, but with the light weights it should be cardio.
    I find that if I plan my food for the day and enter it on the log, I can stay on track better than if I have to go back and remember each thing I ate. Does that help any of you?

Does that help me? Would I be too bold if I said that your workouts put me to shame?
    I just checked my local library. They don't have any of Brad Lewis's books. (Didn't he write Assault on Lake Casitas?) I'm trying to not buy so many books these days, but I am sure I know someone with a copy. :wink:
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a wonderful, active day today!

@Cathy - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! and thanks so much for the friend request.

@Kackie - Great job getting that holiday weight off already! I've heard people say that the faster you can get it off, the easier it is.

@Celticmuse - I started the 30DS this week too. Could hardly move after the 1st session, but made it thru the 2nd one; not feeling as sore today. Last year, I was using walking as my cardio activity. I can walk forever, but the circuit workout knocked me for a loop! That's why I made a goal to vary my workouts more this year. I know my body has become accustomed to the walking and it's not burning as many calories now as it was before.

Congrats on being so close to your goal, too!! I'm sure you'll find the right combination of eating and exercising to get there this year.

@amckenna - I hope you find that the support from others here will make a difference. It's good to have to be accountable to someone. I read about a couple of studies recently that said that people who join in weight loss support groups lose more weight than those who try to do it alone.

Well, I spent all day in Dallas (I live in Ft Worth) helping my older son with a psychology paper he had to turn in this evening and waited too long to start on. So now it's time to go hit the treadmill.

Linda
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year!! Have been missing in action for quite a while. But here I am, back again. Meanwhile there are 10 pages of postings. Wow.

ttyl
    Rebel
    Welcome back Rebel.
  • westernjoy
    Options
    Let us know how it is.
  • westernjoy
    Options
    I keep reading in the post about the 17 day diet. What does consist of.
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I keep reading in the post about the 17 day diet. What does consist of.
    I've been curious too. And US News and World Report (I think) rated the Dash Diet as No. 1 just recently, so now I'll need to see what that one's all about too!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    74 degrees today. Raked leaves and ate a lot. lol But it was a beautiful day.
  • dog1128
    dog1128 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new at this, but I would really like some support in my journey to weight loss also. I need to lose 65 pounds or so for the long term goal. My short term goal is to lose 15 pounds by Feb 16. This is when I go snow skiing and I need to fit back in my outfit not to mention being able to ski without dying out there because of all this weight!!!!! I live in Louisiana so this is the onlly time I get to see snow!!!!!!!!! :smile:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Just stopped to read the posts.
    Happy Birthday Cathy,hope it was a good one.
    Busy day and in the am.
    have a goodnight.Welcome all the new people.
    HUGS
    jane