WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• janetruppert
    Options
    Hi all, I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm 57, and have been on MFP since April of last year. My doctor recommended it to me and I have to say, it's been a life saver for me. I was at the point that if I didn't do something, I would have probably been dead by now, but instead, I'm down in my weight, my A1C is at 6.0, my blood pressure is normal, I can now climb a flight of stairs and I'm doing great, other than I broke 3 bones in my back in August due to Osteoporosis. (which I had no idea I had). I may get the brace off today though and be able to get back to the gym and begin exercising a little bit hopefully) It's amazing to me how my life has changed. I no longer think of this as "dieting". It's a lifestyle change for me. I'll be doing this for the rest of my life, but if there's a craving I have, I eat a tiny bit of whatever it is I crave, and then get right back into the RIGHT way of eating. I don't binge, I don't over indulge in whatever it is I'm craving. I tiny bit of whatever it is, and then back to the healthy ways. I've had to have some pretty strong determination at times, and use some willpower when I'm out and about, or at functions with my husband, but it can be done! I've also had to face some pretty ugly truths about myself. The first couple of months I went to an Oveeater's Anonymous group, but it disbanded and I can't find another one in my area, and I couldn't keep up with the online meetings. So..MPF has been great! I still have about 60 or so pounds I want to lose..maybe more, then I've got to maintain it and I'm hoping to have a tummy tuck. It's going to be a busy year here~~ I'm looking forward to it though!! Can't wait to make lots of new friends on here! Feel free to add me as a friend. I can always use the support and pals!! :smile:
  • janetruppert
    Options
    My hubby loves his potatoes and rice too. He finally got on the losing weight band wagon with me, and now we share an occasional baked potato or if he wants potatoes or rice, I will make them them for him at his request and just leave them off my plate. LOL Once in awhile I make them, but measure mine, and if I make rice, I make brown rice. It's a bit healthier at least. I buy diet bread for us too...Natures Own makes a 40 calorie one that is actually really good. (not trying to promote, but we like it) I refuse to cook 2 seperate meals at my age! LOL The one problem I have is that my hubby doesn't like a lot of veggies, so I only get to eat zucchini, squash or a few other ones I like on the nights he's gone. (he's a firefighter). Luckily he likes broccoli and green beans though! There are always ways around it, aren't there? *wink*
  • kathcurt2
    kathcurt2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone!

I am relatively new to MFP. Started in November, then took a month off for Xmas. :tongue: :drinker:

I'm looking for friends and motivation on my journey. I turned 51 TODAY and have about 80 lbs to lose--my goal is to NOT be 80 lbs overweight when I turn 52. :bigsmile:

I have been somewhat half-hearted about the whole thing though: lose 10 lbs, go back to old habits, try again, etc. Perpetual circles of bad habits. So, anyone out there want to join me in trying to break the cycle of bad habits? EMail me if you are looking for MFP buddies and/or are interested in a "breaking bad habits" adventure.

Have a great day everyone and log EVERYTHING you eat!
    Kathcurt
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After my 4 mile walk yesterday morning, I walked an additional 2.5 miles before dinner. Thought for sure I'd be sore today, but wow...I have survived!! I am a little bummed out today...had to go to the dentist yesterday, my bridge I have became lose, so I figured it just needed to be recemented. Well...Murphy's Law hit. Why is it when you have dental insurance it is not needed. Since retirement, I decided to opt out. I now have to have a new bridge made to the tune of $6000.00. YIKES!!! To console myself, last night I had a large bowl of Publix Premium frozen yogurt, Roadrunner Raspberry! You know what? It didn't help. Today is another day, and at least I know eating ice cream doesn't help....bring on the carrot sticks!!!!!
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from the hospital and after about 6 x-rays they can't see anything wrong. Problem is that I have a metal plate, so they can't see what is happening underneath it. Anyway, suggestion is that I ice it and take tylenol and if it gets worse go to see my family doc or back to ER.

So, it wasn't too bad a wait, only 2 hours.

So now I'll just get on with the rest of the day - put some ice on my wrist, take some tylenol with lunch which I'm going to make, eat and track.
  • cindyw7
    cindyw7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All of you have inspired me with all of your success stories and efforts. For the first time in months I got on the treadmill for half an hour! My goals for January are to get back on track with proper eating and exercise. We are spending Feb. in FL and I want to have myself in a good routine so I can continue my successful journey! May God bless all of you with better health, improved bodies and great self images during this new year!
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am 57. I need to lose 30 lbs. I started one week ago today. I work out for 1 hour every day on the tredmil doing differnet programs on it for one hour. Then I use weights. I have been following a 1200 cal a day diet and logging everything I eat and today I weighed in and have not lost not even 1 lb. This is very upsetting. What am I doing wrong?
    Stick with if nothing happens after this week look to see you are eating enough.
  • sthrnspirit
    Options
    Hi everyone. Awesome being here with you all. I was searching the forums for the 50+ and was so excited to find you all. I just joined today and am fighting the post menopause weight gain. I would like to lose 25pds. I have the energy - now I just need to adjust my thinking about how easy it used to be to lose weight...5 days - 5 pounds. Well, not anymore :sad:
    So, here we are. I am tracking, I am treadmilling, I am lifting hand weights.
    This will be great!
    Happy New Year! :smile:
  • Iwannabefit2012
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone :smile:

I just joined MFP late last night. I've been reading the boards this morning and am so happy that I found your thread. You sound like a warm, supportive group and I would love to be a part of it.

I am somewhat of a quiet person, but I love being around people and listening to what they have to say. So, I want to apologize ahead of time for not being so verbally active. I promise that I will consistently read your posts, as I have no doubt that I can learn a lot from this group to help in my journey to become, and stay, fit.

I am still working on the details of my New Years resolutions....but I can tell you that I want to be fit: physically, emotionally and spiritually. And above all, I want it to be a permanent life change.
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Knees hurt so bad today but still got my walk in. Just a much slower pace. 2 1/2 miles in 70 minutes.
    Welcome all the newcomers.
    Congrats to all the losers.
    Have to get out and finish getting limbs into the burn pile.
    Joyce
  • BellaBaba
    Options
    Hi everyone!..happy 2012!

I went to Costa Rica 6/2011, heaviest I'd been! So hot! Saw the pics...screamed!
    Love to travel and dance..will not look like that on another trip! Heart issues too...sooo started exercising...joined lifetime fitness.. Paid for the weight loss class & nutitionist; finally admitted I needed help. I'm on a roll. Cloudy & extreme cold affect me so I go to the part of the house without windows and have downloaded dancing, heart-pumping music! Going for it! I also keep my before pic on my phone where I can see it every day! Good multi-vitamins, fish oil...have helped too! I'm on the way! You can do it too! THIS IS THE ONE THING WE CAN CONTROL!:flowerforyou:
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Loving MFP and the message boards! Every time I even think of being hungry or munching on something, I log into MFP and read a few posts, find a new support group, and then forget my munchies!!

I am 51, hoping to lose 15-20 pounds, really to just get in better shape. Hopefully weight lose will come too!! My goals for January? Hmmm...well I teach, and I'm off this week! My BIGGEST goal for January is to just keep exercising when I go back to work on Monday!! I belong to a gym, live in Florida, get off at 3:15-3:30 every day, so what's my excuse for not exercising EVERY day?!?!? Just pooped out by 3:00pm! I've done great this week~just need to keep it going!!

Good luck to all!!
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Loving MFP and the message boards! Every time I even think of being hungry or munching on something, I log into MFP and read a few posts, find a new support group, and then forget my munchies!!

I am 51, hoping to lose 15-20 pounds, really to just get in better shape. Hopefully weight lose will come too!! My goals for January? Hmmm...well I teach, and I'm off this week! My BIGGEST goal for January is to just keep exercising when I go back to work on Monday!! I belong to a gym, live in Florida, get off at 3:15-3:30 every day, so what's my excuse for not exercising EVERY day?!?!? Just pooped out by 3:00pm! I've done great this week~just need to keep it going!!

Good luck to all!!

I tried to delete my second post...didn't happen!! Sorry!
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Oh my Goodness, where is the time going?? I can believe how quickly time seems to be flying these days; tomorrow is my birthday and I will be 56 years old, seems like just yesterday I was a teenager and now I am getting close to retirement (although I wish I was retired already to tell you the truth :smile: )

I have told everyone no birthday cake, I am back on track so no cake. My DH already knows that, he has not bought me a cake since I lost my major weight a few years ago, but I told the kids and I told them here at work, no cake and I mean it :laugh:

I don't know if it is true that life goes faster the older you get or that is an old wive;s tale, but it sure seems true to me :laugh:

SuzQ - thanks for the list of foods, that was great :wink:

Jane - you must be so proud of yourself, even your own sister did not recognise you with your amazing weight loss :drinker:

Mary/Mimi - I feel for you with your Dad. I hope the situation soon simmers down, but in the meantime, it is stressful for you and my thoughts are with you :flowerforyou:

Susan - congrats on your weight loss :flowerforyou: By the by, I am with you, 5:30 in the morning should be outlawed as a time to get up for work, don't you think? I hate getting up at that time every day and live for the weekends :happy:

Kaz - can you feel me sending you the good vibes you wanted )))))))))) :smile:

Grenelace - I sure hope you are feeling better soon :flowerforyou:

Pam - hope your pup gets better soon :smile:

jb - good for you, you got back on track really quickly :drinker:

Susan - wow, are you ever an amazing walker :smile: Sorry about your bridgework though and even sorrier that the Roadrunner's Rasberry didn't help :noway:

BellaBaba - I am with you - I keep a picture of myself at my highest weight (226 lbs) on my dressor mirror at all times and I see it every day when I get dressed to remind myself just how far I have come and to remind myself not to let myself go back to that size :wink:

Welcome to the Newcomers again, there are so many again; this group is growing by leaps and bounds every day; this is amazing. There are always so many new posts to read every day.

I am trying hard to keep on track and look we are actually a couple of days into the New Year and so far so good :laugh:

Our weather is much better today, not near as cold as yesterday, they lifted the "cold weather" warning that was in place and it is just ordinary cold today, not freezing cold, if that makes sense?

Anyway, My Friends, I shall go and continue working, I just wanted to ensure I did not get too far behind on the postings.

Talk to you later, Everyone, take care.

Love, Cathy xx
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 70+ category, but will not be deterred! I WILL lose this extra 50#! I appreciate mfp because I need the extra support that friends can bring.

My goal for Jan is to keep to a daily exercise schedule. (OK, one day lost to flu so far. But even though I'm still in its grips, I'm going to do some walking today.)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    flowerforyou: Hi everyone wow I miss a few days and suddenly we have lots of new members - Welcome to all of you :drinker:

:ohwell: :frown: I have gone over my calories again. I need to get back on track and make better choices and say no to the christmas cake. I am so fed up with myself,

:smile: At least my groin strain seems to be better, so now I have no excuse not to exercise. I'll start again tomorrow after the dog walk. I'll just have to organise my time so I'm not late for work. :laugh: I have a few exercise videos, but would like to get some exercise DVDs as well,

Well it's almost time for bed so I'll say goodnight, don't know if it's me or this laptop, but it's doing some strange things.

Chat again soon.

Viv
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    well roscoe is home:love: and he will be on meds for life...he was diagnoised with ADDISONS ....at least it can be managed...we are happy to have him home....the last couple of days my eating has been off and not within my calorie range:sad: . the good thing is that i log everything , which is very helpful...tomorrow is another day....on a positive note, i made more quinoa(like michele i add broth, for more flavor) i added roasted butternut squash and grilled onions and garlic, all i have to say its was yummy!!!!and so filling:flowerforyou: have a wonderful evening all
  • Nonie3
    Nonie3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would like to be a part of this group also. I'm just getting started and may not get a whole lot of exercise in for a few days but I'm eating healthy and logging that. I'm 68; diabetic and desperately need to lose 50 lbs. I'm really impressed with the encouragement here on this site and am really going to make MFP work for me.:flowerforyou:
  • katste48
    Options
    good luck everyone!!!!!