WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• ngags
    ngags Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi all, This is my first time on this site. I'm 59 years old and have had a hard time losing weight since going thru the change. Hopefully this site will make it work this time. Really excited. New Year, New Me! Good luck everyone!
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I found this thread! I will be turning 50 this month and have come to realize that if I don't start caring about my health, I may not make it to 60! I actually started a few months ago, but got off the wagon with the holidays. We went on a little jaunt last weekend to Jerome AZ, (it's a ghost mining town built on the side of a mountain-wonderful art shops!) and realized how so VERY out of shape I was going up and down the stairs and inclines. I just couldn't keep up with my DH and kids! Sooooo - long story short, I am looking forward to meeting other people on this journey and think I will enjoy keeping up with all of you!:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    wow its only the 1/4 and there are already over 200 posts. What a chatty bunch. So many new faces I don't know how I will ever get to know you all. I am still really sniffly. stayed home and worked from here as not to take the bug to work. i have to go tomorrow b ecause I have two interviews. Hopefully I can get a new job that I will enjoy more than the one I have. My nice bright red nose should make really great first impression.:laugh:
  • cindyw7
    cindyw7 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well, I finished my first full day on this plan. I exercised and kept up the food journal. I was a little under on calories & protein but a little over on fats. Still. I'm pleased with what I've accomplished and with some of the new friends I've made already. God bless you all and have a great night!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    LineDanceCrestwoodDecember2011.jpg

I'm on the far right of this picture of the group that did the line dance performance in December. We're going to perform at another convalescent hospital in two weeks.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: My new heart rate monitor is a Polar FT7........I read responses from a lot of people about the best choice and the Polar FT7 showed up the most.

:flowerforyou: It cost about $80.00 on Amazon......It is fairly easy to learn to use......after telling it my birthday, gender, height, and weight, it tells me my heart rate while it is turned on. At the end of the workout (walk, dance, whatever), it tells me how long I worked out, how many calories I burned, my average heart rate, and my highest heart rate. I don't know yet how many workouts it saves but you can keep some to look back at.

:flowerforyou: I was happy to find out that my walking with frisky poodles keeps my heart rate at an average of 98 beats per minute, line dance at a lower rate, and walking on the trail with my friend at a higher rate. Calories burned walking were about the same as what I had been estimating but line dance was lower.

:flowerforyou: It took me awhile to decide that I was interested in knowing my heart rate. Getting the heart rate monitor was recommended in the great book I'm reading now, "Younger Next Year for Women"
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options

As John Maxwell says,“The whole idea of motivation is a trap. Forget motivation. Just do it. Exercise, lose weight, test your blood sugar, or whatever. Do it without motivation. And then, guess what? After you start doing the thing, that's when the motivation comes and makes it easy for you to keep on doing it.”

SuzyQ, your quote is so wonderful that I thought it should be repeated for anyone who missed it the first time......I believe that you can act yourself into right thinking and your quote says it even more solidly.

If we all waited for our motives to be good, our ships would never leave the dock.
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    LOVE the photo, Barbie! I am sure you all have fun and bring a lot of cheer to the groups you visit. And thanks again for sharing the HRM information. (I also love suzyq's quote...it has helped me on several occasions to just "do it!")

Robin: Good luck with your interviews! (DH and I both now have the same thing you are suffering through...rats!)

Good night, all!
    Kackie
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    WOW! Susan, so sorry about the bridge!

None of us are perfect -- we're all going to slip now and then. The important thing is how we handle it. You've lost 36 lbs so obviously you're doing something right!

Yesterday is in the wake of the boat.
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat of a quiet person, but I love being around people and listening to what they have to say. So, I want to apologize ahead of time for not being so verbally active. I promise that I will consistently read your posts, as I have no doubt that I can learn a lot from this group to help in my journey to become, and stay, fit.

Welcome, and don't worry about posting a lot. I have time right now, but I will probably become "quieter" in a couple of weeks -- working on a graduate degree and classes will start back Jan 17th.

Just pop in whenever you have something to add, and to let us know how you're doing!
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Barbie I love the photo.... and don't you look fabulous... the result of lots of hard work, congratulations!:drinker:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Things are busy on this board. It is great reading everyone's post....so much positive energy.
    I just finished day 3 of the 17 day diet and it feels great. I like that things change every 17 days. As long as I plan ahead (meals and exercise), I feel good doing it this time around. Last time I did well in this first phrase but I got sloppy at the end of the seconc cycle.

I got to the gym this morning even with a killer headache! I felt better after putting some time in on the bike. It could have gone either way and I am so glad that I felt better getting out and getting to the gym. I taught my yoga class tonight with three new students so it was a great day in my book!

Cathy....Happy Birthday...a little early!!
  • SueScott5plus
    Options
    I'd like to join your group. I have a lot of weight to loose (again). I loose it then gain it plus more back. I need to loose it and keep it off this time. It's getting to hard on my body to keep playing this yo-yo game. Let's go ladies. We can do this.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all, Day two back at work. We are doing well!

I usually go to the gym 3x a week, today was workout #2, so I'm on track and feeling good. Got the Joan Pagano book "Strength Training for Women" in the mail today and will let you know later if it's got any good advice or ideas.

Buster the poodle loves my January goal because he gets a 30-45 minute walk every day I don't workout. He's a miniature poodle, so it's not too hard to wear him out. :smile:

JoMFrasca, WOW what a year! You're an inspiration.

Genealace - so sorry to hear about your "bones". I hope you are feeling better tomorrow, keep us posted.

Salad Sistah jb_2011 Your salads sound fantastic. Much as I love to cook it's sometimes hard for me to think of ways to make salads more interesting, I can tell that I'm going to be trying some of your ideas. Yesterday I blended skim milk cottage cheese, steamed spinach and a little bit of nutmeg as a stuffing for salmon fillets. Sprinkled the stuffed fillets with breadcrumbs mixed with a bit of parmesan cheese and baked at 400. It turned out pretty well. DH and son would rather not eat fish, but they like my cooking most of the time so took it with a smile. (I gave them mashed potatoes on the side.)The left-over spinach filling will be used in my lunch tomorrow as a dip for raw veggies.

:flowerforyou: Happy Birthday Cathy

Barbiecat - love the dance picture, you look fantastic! Also appreciate the information about the heart monitor, I might invest in one too because I am sure it's more accurate than the Nike app on my iPod.

Eager to go and read my new book!

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • kazisindahouse
    kazisindahouse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for the positive vibes yesterday.
    My day did kind of get worse as my 96 year old gran had a fall and we had to have an ECP but she's still at home and all seems fine today.

Genealace - hope you're feeling much better soon!

Today is a new day - off to my mums now with lunch, plenty of green salad and lean meats ... I'm a good girl I am ! ... LOL x
  • Susanpv
    Susanpv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone...going to start my day off in the dentist's chair. UGH...Glad to report I didn't get into the ice cream last night, I stayed under my calories. Have a great day....BYE BYE, BYE BYE. (I am a retired stewardess...hard not to say since that's what I said for 38 years) :):)
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back from the hospital and after about 6 x-rays they can't see anything wrong. Problem is that I have a metal plate, so they can't see what is happening underneath it. Anyway, suggestion is that I ice it and take tylenol and if it gets worse go to see my family doc or back to ER.

So, it wasn't too bad a wait, only 2 hours.

So now I'll just get on with the rest of the day - put some ice on my wrist, take some tylenol with lunch which I'm going to make, eat and track.

sorry about your wrist....i hurt my back in october(i think its a strain)my wrist became swollen and hurt lots, even when sleeping ...i also iced it and wore a band...i am still wearing a band its not swollen and only hurts a little...i read on line that wrist injuries take a long time to heal....feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Options
    Knees hurt so bad today but still got my walk in. Just a much slower pace. 2 1/2 miles in 70 minutes.
    Welcome all the newcomers.
    Congrats to all the losers.
    Have to get out and finish getting limbs into the burn pile.
    Joyce

have you tried biking for your exercise, thats what my dr recommends, since i have knee issues...feel better:flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Options
    @cathy........HAPPY BIRTHDAY, hope you have a lovely day:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

@barbiecat....you look awesome great pic, glad you are enjoying the heart rate monitor, i love mine as well...

well i am off to the gym, spinning class and then weights(i missed my weight training the other day because of roscoe being sick)

i dont know if mentioned that my dinner last night was quinoa and roasted butternut squash, how yummy, i loved it and really recommend the quinoa, for those who would like to replace the pastas and or rice....

have a great day all:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CATHY:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Hope that you have a wonderful day and year!:drinker:

Pam: Good for you for getting out the door to the spinning class right away...and that you are getting the weight training in regularly. That is the one thing I let slide when things are busy, so I have to get back to that again.

Barbie: I ordered the Polar HMR that you recommended. It will be fun to get it and see how my calorie burn varies with my activities than MFP says. I know that MFP tends to figure too high so I try to take that into account when I log my activity, but this will be a nice motivator, I think. I also ordered the book that you are reading and look forward to another source of inspiration. Thanks for the advice!:flowerforyou:

For all of you struggling with health issues....knees, wrists, backs or whatever it may be...I feel for you and hope you find some resolution. I put my health at the top of my gratitude list every day! Having said that, I am struggling with a sore throat and on-coming cold, but at least I know that will run it's course. Still...it's a reminder that it's not fun to feel bad:sick: :sick: :sick:

I now have lost my holiday pounds and am proud that I did it quickly before it became something too difficult to manage. So, onward to a better more consistent 2012:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Kackie
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone...going to start my day off in the dentist's chair. UGH...Glad to report I didn't get into the ice cream last night, I stayed under my calories. Have a great day....BYE BYE, BYE BYE. (I am a retired stewardess...hard not to say since that's what I said for 38 years) :):)

Susan, you cracked me up. My sister, also a Susan and also a retired stewardess, told me the phrase was "B'Bye. B'Bye".