At what price do we eat meat?

Options

Replies

• gorgeouss9
    Options
    IMO, I think that it's healthier to eat more veggies and fruits, but to also eat animals (land or sea) 3-4 times a week. There are a lot of nutrients found in animals that aren't found in other foods. I should know. About 6 years ago I just stopped liking meat, all kinds. Including fish. What happened was I became seriously anemic. I had to take in large amounts of iron supplements every day, just to get back to "normal". I ate very healthy back then, too: almost no junk food, ate mostly veggies and some fruit, would eat lentils and other legumes, ate eggs and drank milk and ate yogurt, etc. I just didnt feel like eating fish or meat of any kind. The minute I was able to get my blood level to normal, I was eating red meat (mostly lamb, since its my favorite) 3 times at least a week and I havent had that problem with anemia since. Also, during my "just so happens" vegetarian moment, I felt my eye sight get weak, and my circulation was poor, too. Fruits and Veggies alone just doesnt cut it for everyone. I recommend you see your doctor before drastically cutting it out of your diet.

I've seen FOOD Inc as well as many other documentaries like that. I learned from them, and for the past 2 years buy my meat only from trusted sources: directly from the farm. Theres a farm in our area that you can buy meat from- we get an entire lamb (cheaper by bulk) and have it cut up for us and delivered to our home. We get our eggs that way, and our chicken too. We put it in a freezer and use it until its done. You can change where you buy your meat from or you can cut it out of your diet and risk losing necessary nutrients that your body needs.

I think you're making a serious mistake in using your own, extremely unusual, case as an argument for everyone else in the world.

Um, No, its not unusual. My own doctor told me she was anemic when she went vegetarian. She too had to take iron supplements. Everyone's body reacts differently to different types of diets. Which is why I said its best to see your doctor before doing any drastic changes to your diet. There are numerous studies to show that eating more veggies/fruits/legumes, etc. is benefitial for your health. But, eating meat (animal/sea) in moderation is necessary for overall health. For me, I prefer 80% veggies/fruit, etc. to 20% meat.

When you eat more vegeterian/vegan, you have to be sure you're getting all of your nutrients (you may need to take vitamins):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596/NSECTIONGROUP=2
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    All the photos I have posted are of vegan recipes, by the way. In case anyone was wondering. Just pointing out vegetables can look good. And a damn sight healthier than the meat pictures posted on this thread.

Well no... the one pic looked like grass... on a plate. :huh:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    All the photos I have posted are of vegan recipes, by the way. In case anyone was wondering. Just pointing out vegetables can look good. And a damn sight healthier than the meat pictures posted on this thread.

Well no... the one pic looked like grass... on a plate. :huh:

yummy

stock-photo-green-grass-field-landscape-with-fantastic-clouds-in-the-background-28754767.jpg
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I saw Food, Inc. a few nights ago. It was very eye-opening to see what really goes on in the food industry. I will still eat meat, though. I will just make sure I buy it free of antibiotics, growth hormones, etc. Thanks to this thread, I will be watching "Earthlings", too. I don't know why this is turning into such a big deal...the OP asked if anyone had seen the movie...but I digress...carry on, people.

:)
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat & love animals then you need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHA4HNbmDLg
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat & love animals then you need to watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHA4HNbmDLg
    Sweet sweet propaganda.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    That's what animals were put on this earth for :) I agree it's wrong how the animals are treated. That's why we hunt our own meat!!

Your post, with the pic of your son in a "vicious hunter pose" below it made me laugh so hard!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Humans are so cocky. We ARE animals, and we're eating other animals. We have for a long time. I don't like the processing that goes along with it, but basically for health reasons.

Plants are living too by the way. Why no tears shed over the broccoli or soybeans you murdered?
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Humans are so cocky. We ARE animals, and we're eating other animals. We have for a long time. I don't like the processing that goes along with it, but basically for health reasons.

Plants are living too by the way. Why no tears shed over the broccoli or soybeans you murdered?

Because plants can't feel pain- no nervous system.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi Folks,

For what it's worth, I read through about the first seven pages of this, because a concerned user felt the thread needed moderation.

As far as I can tell, everyone's keeping it impersonal, arguing their case respectfully, and raising interesting points for each other's consideration.

I have no intention of actively moderating the thread unless we begin to see reports of posts that have violated a guidelines ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines )

It's possible there are posts of this sort in the latter third of the thread, but I saw no evidence in what I had time to read. Please feel free to report such posts if you feel they need a moderator's attention.

I am concerned that there seems to be some hurt feelings regarding the moderation of a previous thread on this topic. In the case of that particular thread, there were numerous posts denigrating the intelligence of other contributors, and various other items that were pushing the thread past the realm of vigorous debate into name-calling and accusation. So far, this thread seems to have avoided that. And while I do have my own dietary preferences, those opinions will never be the reason for my moderation of a thread. I and the volunteer moderators attempt to assess every reported post through the lens of the guidelines.

If any member ever feels that a moderator's personal opinion has become the fulcrum on which the merits of a post are being weighed, please let me know. If you feel that I am doing a disservice to a topic due to my own personal bias, and you cannot satisfy your concern through dialogue with me, we can always ask Mike to have a look at the situation. But it is unnecessary to worry that a thread will be shut down because it is being debated strongly. Just keep it a debate, and not a fight, and there should be no problem with the public forums hosting the thread. (Unless, of course, it's a political debate, against which there is a specific guideline. Political debates on the site are almost inevitably unruly, and are therefore consigned to existing in Groups).

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I wonder who the concerned member was?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I thought that this thread had been reasonably respectable up to this point.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I wonder who the concerned member was?
    demotivational-posters-concerned-frog.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian with only one other vegetarian friend so the majority of the people in my life are meat eaters and that's fine, they eat they're way , I eat my way. However a few points to make: my neice who is NOT a vegetarian became anemic and the doctor recommended DATES to remedy it because they are high in iron. I've never been anemic and I eat foods fortified with B 12 and just had bloodwork done and my levels are great. So being vegetarian does not necessarily mean anemic vitamin deficient.

And to the person who said "if we weren't supposed to eat animals why did God make them out of meat"....dogs, cats, and humans are made out of meat too....please don't tell me that means we should be eating them too.
    Dogs and cats are eaten in Asia. Is that bad? It's not considered immoral there.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian with only one other vegetarian friend so the majority of the people in my life are meat eaters and that's fine, they eat they're way , I eat my way. However a few points to make: my neice who is NOT a vegetarian became anemic and the doctor recommended DATES to remedy it because they are high in iron. I've never been anemic and I eat foods fortified with B 12 and just had bloodwork done and my levels are great. So being vegetarian does not necessarily mean anemic vitamin deficient.

And to the person who said "if we weren't supposed to eat animals why did God make them out of meat"....dogs, cats, and humans are made out of meat too....please don't tell me that means we should be eating them too.
    Dogs and cats are eaten in Asia. Is that bad? It's not considered immoral there.

IDEA Fitness member

You should post the picture of the balut. That would revive the thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options

Done! This is good meat eating Asian style!!!!

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

IDEA Fitness member
  • SteveO390
    SteveO390 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Done! This is good meat eating Asian style!!!!

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

IDEA Fitness member

They "eat" that? What's there to eat? Speaking strictly in a practical term, that looks pretty dang scrawny and would appear to be mostly bone/cartilage. Speaking from my American lifestyle and eating habits.....that is G-R-O-S-S!

I find it humorous that the vegans and vegetarians in this thread say "oh you have to make sure you eat vitamin fortified foods" in order to make sure you're getting the nutrients you're not getting with meat. Sooooo you're turning to the same lab that you claim made the whole meat industry (leaving the treatment of the animals aside) so vile? Hmmmm that's amusing.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    There is no "winning" or "losing".
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    If you like colon cancer and heart disease, eat meat. If you like stomping all over the Golden Rule, eat meat.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you like colon cancer and heart disease, eat meat. If you like stomping all over the Golden Rule, eat meat.
    I like making self-righteous vegans cry. How you doin?