Options

Replies

• annamichele
    annamichele Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like beer and wine.
  • KaiteeKarrot
    Options
    I posted in Success Stories first and thought I guess this wouldn't really be a "Success Stories" kind of post. Sorry you guys. It's my first post...

I love this topic. I think it helps people understand how to achieve their success stories so in essence it can belong here. Don't let people talk down to you. To those 3 people who posted to be little smart-alecks there were several others who posted to gain an understanding of why they put on the weight. Great Job :-)

Ditto.

Couldn't agree more. It made me feel better!!! If someone's going to be a downer about this post... than don't read it and don't write. As the old addage goes, if you don't have anything nice to say....
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Stress eating and menapause.
  • simoriah_angel
    Options
    I am actually glad to vent about this. I am always happy to hear about success stories but sometimes I want to be reminded I am not the only person out there with emotional eating issues. Repeat on!

I always thought I was fat, because all of my cousins were rail thin growing up and I had a curvy body. I am a definite huge emotional eater; also, I gained a lot of wait during specific times: Working in fast food, College, giving up waitressing in my late 20's for a sitting job, and being in a relationship with a stoner who had a passion for sweets. I just started losing weight recently again and as hard as it is to take it "slower" in terms of weight loss, I want the weight off already. Especially for the hot and humid Jersey Summers.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've always been chubby, since I can remember... and for what I saw while growing up it had a lot to do with the amounts of food that we usually had at home, so you could say that it was kinda my parents fault... because for me it was normal but we were eating too much... when I was 13 or 14 I was stuck with the same habits... Just a year ago when I moved out from my mom's house I realized that my habits were bad and I changed them, and now I'm at my lightest weight since I was 13 :) (I'm 19 now)

PS: Well my english sucks, I'm sorry.

nanatsuiro your English is very very good - near perfect!! :flowerforyou:
  • nanatsuiro
    nanatsuiro Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've always been chubby, since I can remember... and for what I saw while growing up it had a lot to do with the amounts of food that we usually had at home, so you could say that it was kinda my parents fault... because for me it was normal but we were eating too much... when I was 13 or 14 I was stuck with the same habits... Just a year ago when I moved out from my mom's house I realized that my habits were bad and I changed them, and now I'm at my lightest weight since I was 13 :) (I'm 19 now)

PS: Well my english sucks, I'm sorry.

nanatsuiro your English is very very good - near perfect!! :flowerforyou:

• jhayes28
    jhayes28 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a question to make me think... I am fat for several reasons, which makes it even more difficult to lose my weight since I have to overcome several obstacles.

First reason for being fat is because I just have not taken the time out of my schedule for myself to help make myself healthy. I take care of my kids, husband, work full-time, go to nursing school full-time, and take care of EVERYTHING else! Who has time to worry about working-out and watching the calorie intake?!? :)

Secondly, I am a stress/emotional/boredom eater. I eat when I am mad. I eat when I am sad. I eat when I am bored. I eat when I am stressed and a total basket case.

When I do have the rare free time to work out, I am too tired from my busy day so I would rather sleep or do my homework or even just relax and play on the internet or watch TV.

Needless to say...I am fat for stupid reasons that I should be able to overcome but haven't quite accomplished 100% yet.
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Because I am a 50 year old who eats like a 4 year old - if it's bad I like it. Chocolate, Peanut Butter, breaded, fried, fatty - it's all so freakin' good to me. Veggies - NEVER! You can't even imagine how disappointed I was when "they" decided that corn and potatoes aren't veggies - it's the only ones I eat.

Oh, did I mention I'm 50?! The only good thing about being 50 is that I still remember when I was 25 and knew I was lucky/blessed to be able to eat anything and everything I wanted and never wear over a size 2. I knew it wouldn't last and I enjoyed the he** our of it. Ah...memories.

I'm lazy, or tired - I'm not even sure which any more. All I know for sure is that when I work out I feel better and look better. I just can't get myself out of bed early enough to do it. I can't get myself to the gym after work. I did, once upon a time. I exercised at home in the morning and went to the gym for cardio and weight training after work. That was only 5 years ago. I loved how I felt and looked then, but obviously not enough to motivate me to do it now. Even when I was a mom with 3 kids under 6 I still got in a workout 5 days a week. Now I have no excuse, and I just don't do it.

So, I'm fat because I eat like crap, don't work out and my metabolism has betrayed me by becoming normal.
  • jc000106
    Options
    Well lets see this have been over a period of 12 years. I am 34 yrs old and 5' 2". My original weight was 115, then I had 2 little boys almost exactly one year apart, then I didnt really care about losing weight because I was more concerned about chasing two babies in diapers lol. Wel then when my youngest was about 3 or 4 yrs old I got tired of wearing sweats and t-shirts, so I did something about it then lost 15-20 lbs which brought me down to about 130. Of course after losing it, I ended up pregnant again with my 3rd son. I then lost the weight after joining the Police Academy once he was about 3 yrs old and was back down to 125. As of right now I am an at home mom, and I gained back about 20 lbs since I quit the PD. So I stepped on the scale and saw, 144 lbs, which was really depressing, but I think what was more depressing was when I calculated my BMI it was in the overweight category. So I decided to do something about it, and its been about a month since I have started counting my calories and working out regularly. I've lost 8 lbs so far and I have an insane motivation to try to get back to my 115 in a healthy way. Still have 20 lbs to go and I know its along road but I'll get there!!

So I'm pretty much fat because I didnt stay healthy enough before having babies, and didnt really care about being healthy after. Just love my greasy burgers and fries too much I guess :happy:
  • opajee
    opajee Posts: 69
    Options
    I am fat because I forgot what it was like to be active. I played soccer growing up and ate like crazy. Then I moved, stopped playing soccer but kept eating the same amount of food. They were always healthy food but I never knew how to portion my meals. I learned how to cook and cooked anything and everything I wanted to eat when I wanted to. I discovered fast food in college and when living by myself because it was faster than going to the grocery store and buying a week's worth of grocery. I used to walk 20mins to class every morning, now I have the bus drop me off right in front of my classes. I took the easy way out and now I'm fixing my mistake.
  • sfburdett
    sfburdett Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lack of self control, a desk job and no will to lose.
  • stinaaaah
    Options
    I'm fat more because of mental health reasons than anything, I guess. I used to be anorexic as a young teenager. I gained weight, and was at a normal weight by the time I was 18, and then I was hospitalised for other mental health issues in my first year of university, and I just... lost it. I spent six months in a psychiatric facility, with literally nothing to do but sit on the couch and eat junk food. I ate so much junk food, it isn't funny. That was in 2008. I had a BMI of about 32.
    And then I got into a residential treatment center, and comfort-eating remained a habit of mine, interspersed with periods of bingeing and purging, and relapses back into anorexia, and my weight kind of stayed the same.
    And then in 2010 I was taken off some of the medications I was on, and the weight started falling off. This motivated me to exercise and eat better, and I lost 25kg in less than five months... and now I've been at a plateau for a year. I'm still about five pounds overweight, but I can't seem to lose the excess weight.
    However I've joined a gym for the first time in my life, and am eating healthily, so I'm hoping this will make a difference.

SO basically from depressive overeating, lack of motivation/exercise, and continuing to turn to food for comfort. Stupid emotional eating.
  • rashooy
    rashooy Posts: 55
    Options
    eating the wrong food and not exercising
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started two businesses while taking on a new, highly challenging career and caring for a chronically ill wife. There was simply no time or mental space to pay attention to my eating habits or exercise.

I'm back, yo.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Wine.... and the menopause I think... but mostly wine...
  • Clare_F
    Clare_F Posts: 76
    Options
    too much wine and cheese (they go so well together) combined with not enough activity ! but now I have changed that, hardly ever drink, cheese is a rare treat and I exercise most days and after taking up running in October will be running my first half marathon in March :) big changes but i can see the results so its made it all worth while, just got to keep at it now and not slip back !
  • lcorbusier
    Options
    A state of mind, I suppose.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I spent almost twenty years married to a man who wanted nothing more than to sit on the couch and watch television 24/7. His idea of breakfast was a Nehi grape soda and a massive gob of peanut butter on a wooden spoon. At first, I tried getting him outside and doing more active things, but his inertia was contagious. I grew more and more depressed and miserable, and my butt got wider and wider, and my blood pressure got higher and higher.

Going to law school and getting my J.D. restored my self-confidence and reminded me that I didn't have to live my life on "pause." I gave him his pink slip in 2006, and I've never looked back. Slowly, but surely, I'm getting healthier and stronger. It doesn't hurt that I'm now married to an active duty U.S. soldier who was an athlete in high school and runs every morning. Amazing what a difference it makes when you're surrouded by folks who actually give a damn, eh? :)
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Great stories and a great topic to consider.

In my case, I let 10 kilos (20 pounds) or more creep on after I got married and moved into a completely sendentary job. I didn't do any exercise and I comfort ate. I had some goes at weight loss but tended to give up after 2-3 kilos (4-6 pounds) and it all came back again.

Now I'm finally learned that I enjoy being moderately active, I love yoga and I like walking outside. It makes me feel better, in all ways.

I think I'm always going to have to watch what I eat and struggle a bit with that, but I'm hoping that being active is a life-long habit now.
  • teagan911
    Options
    I just didn't care what I ate. I never cared about calories and the more deep fried, the better. I was in the mind set of "I'm going to die anyways, might as well die happy". Well, being that overweight I realized I wasn't happy at all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!