What are you reading?

Replies

• One book that I read in 2010 and again a couple of months ago was The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. I love historical fiction, and this one I couldn't put it down at all. A close second that I want to re-read before the second one comes out is The Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (an adult Twilight kind of thing). Both of these authors are releasing two new books in the springs, and I'm absolutely excited!!! Can't wait to get them!! At the moment, I am studying for my class but at night I read George W. Bush's Decision Points. It's an incredible read :)
  • soozship
    soozship Posts: 38 Member
    If you like kids fantasy you should definitely try the Hunger Games Trilogy. Best young adult books writtenin ages, seriously. Beautiful.

My 13 year old son introduced me to these books, and I loved them!! I concur, best young adult books written in ages.
  • A zombie anthology entitled "So Long and Thanks for all the Brains!"
  • soozship
    soozship Posts: 38 Member
    I just finished reading House Rules by Jodi Picoult. Probably one of the best books I have read in awhile. If you have a passion for children especially children with special needs (autism in this case) then it is a must read. I work in the education field (in a "out of school time" capacity) and it was phenomenal.

I have also recently started reading the Janet Evonovich (sp??) series (One for the Money, etc) and those are fun as well!

I am on 18 of the Janet Evanovich series. You will love them. They just keep getting more funny. My husband always looks at me cause I am laughing outloud LOL Enjoy!!

Agreed... that is a really well written, light, funny series to read. I actually laugh out loud too!
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    I;m listening to Huckleberry Finn at work while I type away!

And reading The Carrie Diaries on weekends!
  • Hunger Games Trilogy- on the 3rd book now :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy now and really like it so far. I just got done reading a book called A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines recently, and it was amazing.

You MUST read that whole series. Classics, the lot of them. It was a tragedy when he died. :-(
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    So many people on here are reading such good books!

I am currently reading Blackveil by Kristen Britain and I am enjoying it so far.

Last year I read Ghengis: Birth of An Empire by Conn Iggulden and The Earth's Children Series by Jean M. Auel.
    I don't usually read historical fiction but I find it a really refreshing breather from all the fantasy and paranormal stuff I read.

I also plan on reading the Hunger Games this year because everyone says I have to, as well as Stephen King's new book. Stephen King is my <333333

I could list a ton of books. I love reading!!!
  • lostsanity137
    I'm reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy now and really like it so far. I just got done reading a book called A Madman Dreams of Turing Machines recently, and it was amazing.

You MUST read that whole series. Classics, the lot of them. It was a tragedy when he died. :-(

Agreed, I love the Hitchhiker's Guide. You have to read them all!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    'World War Z' by Max Brooks was a good read about the survivors of a zombie apocalypse. (Side note Max Brooks is the son of Mel Brooks, though this book is not a comedy)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    I'm reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell at the moment too. It's odd and in a world of its own, but totally absorbing.

I read that when it came out about 6 years ago, and I really think it is one of the best books I have ever read. It is just so perfect in it's own enclosed little world. The amount of research that must have gone into it is mind boggling. It really bowled me over.
  • lostsanity137
    I love IT. I'm not scared very easy. :3 I am about to start Wizard and Glass in his Dark Tower series as well as his new book. I'm pretty excited!
  • ChevyChick88
    ChevyChick88 Posts: 356 Member
    I'm currently reading Pride & Prejudice. Next in line is The Help. Both movies on my top 5 list!

My favorite all time is.... Twilight. Yea... I am a adult who is a lover of teen vampire love stories and not affraid to admit it. Those teen books rock! :laugh:
  • falamoyacrava
    falamoyacrava Posts: 63 Member
    I'm reading the "A Song of Ice and Fire" fantasy series right now, by George R.R. Martin. Just started though, almost done the first book, "A Game of Thrones." It's amazing, I can't put it down!
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    I am re-reading the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz. I love them!
  • Currently reading V is for Vengeance, the latest in the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. Secretly sad she is close to the end of the alphabet...
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    I am currently reading the latest book in the Sookie Stackhouse (books True Blood is based from). I have such a huge interest in books period. Eat Pray Love is one of the only books I have read more than once. The Pretty Little Liars series is actually really good for a young adult series as well as House of NIght and (yes) Twilight. I also read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series and enjoyed that too. My favorite author of all time is Anne Rice, though, and I have read and own every single one of her books, even the one by "Anne Roqchelere(sp) and Ann Rampling. I love the classics too. I read Anna Karinina my junior year of highschool and loved Wuthering Heights. When I finish the Sookie Stackhouse book I plan on looking into Hunger GAmes because I have heard great things about it, and also Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I am always reading some kind of book, and have no specific genre I prefer. I am , however very critical of movies especially if I have read the book. I loathe the Twilight movies, and Harry Potter got worse with each one ( but I can still watch them and enjoy them def. not the same with Twilight). My Sister's Keeper was one where it definitley felt like 2 different stories from the book to the movie. Anyway, I enjoyed reading the posts I like seeing that there are other readers out there :)
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Girl Who Played with Fire, sequel to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - really good book and surprisingly well done movie, kept most of the storyline intact
  • luvinlaurakate
    luvinlaurakate Posts: 145 Member
    I love to read and was recently visiting a friend who loaned me the first of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J. R. Ward. It's about warrior vampires, not my normal stuff... but I can't put them down!!! I'm on book 3 already!! Vampire smut... but well done!

I've re-read the Twilight series each time a new movie comes out, so 4 times now... probably will again before the last movie releases. Loved the HP series as well. Still looking forward to the Hunger Games series, hopefully soon before that movie comes out. Yes, I like the books better, but I do like seeing what they come up with for movie adaptations.

Oh, and I'm doing a challenge at church to read the entire Bible this year. We're doing it chronologically... so far it's awesome and I'm reading the Message version so it's more contemporary and I'm finding it easy to read and understand that way.

You are still in the good ones! The Daggerhood series starts to go downhill around book 4 or 5... :(