Are you a GYM IDIOT?

Options

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This coming from a guy wearing a skirt!

Yea, and if he's anything like the other kilt wearers i know...it's "traditional" to go commando under there...
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    Ok This may have already been covered somewhere in this thread but it still needs to be said.

I understand that people are at the gym to lose weight and get healthy, but is it necessary to weigh yourself naked. In my personal opinion bra and panties minimum.
  • marciab30
    marciab30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fyi some of us women go to the gym after work so sometimes the make up is just left on LOL
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Ok This may have already been covered somewhere in this thread but it still needs to be said.

I understand that people are at the gym to lose weight and get healthy, but is it necessary to weigh yourself naked. In my personal opinion bra and panties minimum.

It seems like problems with nudity are a regional thing. I don't understand it. I mean, there are some excessive examples of nudity I could think of (eating your post workout yogurt naked in the locker room)...but for the most part, who cares? I don't get what makes people so uncomfortable. Then again, in college I had to shower in men's shower rooms that were converted to female bathrooms. There were no curtains. Maybe that's where I got over it...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    My buddy is a gym idiot. He is pretty big and refuses to do any cardio. Only weights. He also wants to do the Tough Mudder this year...with 0 minutes of cardio under his belt. Good luck, my friend.

Same with my friend!!! wants to get rid of her stomach!!! but wont do any cardio!!!!!!!!! and eats horrible!!!!

Cardio will not burn fat, being in a caloric deficit does that. But you can get there through diet alone, cardio alone, weights alone or a combination of any of those. Cardio is not a necessity to lose weight, and one draw back of cardio is that if you do long periods is that you will acutally lose muscle. So if someone can get their calroic deficit through diet and weights with no cardio, they will have a better body composition vs. one that hits the same deficit using cardio.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    bmp
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Brought your handbag into the weights room.
    Full face of makeup.
    1 set, update your facebook status on your iphone, next machine.

Ohhh I HATE the girls who come to the gym looking like they are at a damn night club, Hair all curled and makeup on, tiny little tanktop with no sportsbra. I go to the gym to work my *kitten* off and expect to look like crap doing so

The ladies that sit on the recumbent bike with their magazines and phones out. Theres one lady at my gym brings a kindle!!!

Women who lift stupid pointless weights that make no improvement on doing the exercise with bodyweight only

I bring my kindle to the gym use it on the elliptical and can do a 10 minute mile at a resistance of 13,just because you cant multi task does not mean no one else can.Staring at a kindle is no diffrent than staring at the TV it really does not take away from how hard you can work at all.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Guys that flex in front of the mirrors and also guys that wipe the sweat off thier face with thier shirt! Ya know your just doing it to show your abs!! CUT THE CRAP!

Your describing body builders. These guys are very serious about their craft/hobby and pose as a means of practicing for meets and competition. That is why they are at the gym, it is not just all about fitness and weightloss. There is a whole culture of strength guys who have been going to gyms before they were cool. And, many of you who are mocking them are the butt of their jokes as well.

I once saw a guy blowing kisses at himself in the mirror it was pretty funny
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    I just don't get it...what, in this world, is wrong with reading a Kindle on a machine???? Why does that bother people?? Yeah, I read mine while I'm sweating my bumb off to pass my cardio time quicker. And just to clear it up for those who don't know, you can up the font size, making it EASY to read while you're moving about. Sheesh...

Rant over.

that just makes you have to turn the page more often...which is kind of tough if you're running at an 8 min mile

True. I only use mine on the elliptical because if I'm on the treadmill it's to do intervals and sprints. To each his own I say, I just don't understand why it bothers people. I see people criticize others for this A LOT around here and have never understood that one...:huh:

And people are assuming everyone WANTS to run a 8 min mile. You CAN get a nice burn going at a slower pace, ya know.

These are probobly also people that have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time:laugh:
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Guys that flex in front of the mirrors and also guys that wipe the sweat off thier face with thier shirt! Ya know your just doing it to show your abs!! CUT THE CRAP!

Your describing body builders. These guys are very serious about their craft/hobby and pose as a means of practicing for meets and competition. That is why they are at the gym, it is not just all about fitness and weightloss. There is a whole culture of strength guys who have been going to gyms before they were cool. And, many of you who are mocking them are the butt of their jokes as well.

I once saw a guy blowing kisses at himself in the mirror it was pretty funny
    So that was you watching me.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else witnessed someone using the gym provided hair dryers to dry out their crotch?!? This one larger older woman at my gym puts one leg up on the bench, spreads em wide, and then proceeds to thoroughly dry herself. :noway:

There are some things you just cannot un-see!!!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

And people are assuming everyone WANTS to run a 8 min mile. You CAN get a nice burn going at a slower pace, ya know.

I don't see anyone assuming that at all. I was just talking about my personal experiences. I find it really hard to run that pace and read on the kindle.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options
    I don't really understand why it's bad to wear makeup to the gym.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

I bring my kindle to the gym use it on the elliptical and can do a 10 minute mile at a resistance of 13,just because you cant multi task does not mean no one else can.Staring at a kindle is no diffrent than staring at the TV it really does not take away from how hard you can work at all.

Good for you. I can do that on the ELLIPTICAL too. Have you tried it on the treadmill at an 8 min mile pace? It's a lot harder...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

It makes people who already feel self-conscious more self conscious about their appearance. We should really all just wash it all off, for the benefit of ugly ladies who want to be in ugly company while they work out.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Squatting in the curl rack.
  • Katefab26
    Katefab26 Posts: 865
    Options

It makes people who already feel self-conscious more self conscious about their appearance. We should really all just wash it all off, for the benefit of ugly ladies who want to be in ugly company while they work out.

Oh. Well, maybe they can wear makeup too? I don't go out without makeup, and that includes the gym. I'm a classically trained operatic soprano. It's kind of drilled in our heads that we have to put a lot of effort into our appearance...
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I used to go to my uni gym and could never manage to do much. The sport students would take the mick out of me and say what's the point of going to the gym if all I'm going to do is walk on the machine. Well my answer to that would be that doing ANY exercise is better than doing NO exercise, and I would have been sitting in my room doing nothing if I hadn't been in the gym.

I got fed up of seeing girls on the exercise bikes just chatting and not even pedalling, though.
  • jlowensby
    jlowensby Posts: 142
    Options
    I go to gym before work, so I always have a full face of makeup...don't have time to do it afterwards....;)

How do you keep you make up on? Seriously... I sweat so much there is no way I could keep make up on. I go first thing in the morning ...hair still messed from bed, coffee breath and no make up. It's a good thing I'm not there to meet anybody and I'm glad my husband loves me!

Well, first I have never worn a ton of make-up, just enough to enhance. And in the morning I am the only one there...so nope not trying to impress anyone. And second..maybe I am just blessed..even though I work my hiney off...I don't sweat a lot never have, thank goodness ;)
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I NEVER go to the gym because I am an idiot when it comes to working out. I have no idea what most of the machines/weights in there do or how to use them. The only machines I could properly use would be the treadmill and the bikes, and I am pretty sure I would screw that up too. That is why I exercise in the comfort of my own home.... and its cheaper.

I'm a bit like that, too, but fortunately my gym class in college this semester is Circuit Training, in which we will be using the gym and learning how to use the machines. When I work out at home, I get lazy, whereas when I go to the gym, I know that if I don't work out, I walked there for no reason :)