Beginners Walking Challenge

Options

Replies

• Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Elle, what I do is this- I know the distance I have to walk to equal 2 miles. I take my heart rate monitor with me when I walk . I time myself. So it takes me about 29 minutes to walk 2 miles. That equals 4 miles an hour. So if you know the distance you walked and the time it takes you just figure it out that way. OR if you have a gps you could take that on your walk and it will tell you how fast your going and how far you went. Have fun on your walk! Cindy :heart:
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Elle, what I do is this- I know the distance I have to walk to equal 2 miles. I take my heart rate monitor with me when I walk . I time myself. So it takes me about 29 minutes to walk 2 miles. That equals 4 miles an hour. So if you know the distance you walked and the time it takes you just figure it out that way. OR if you have a gps you could take that on your walk and it will tell you how fast your going and how far you went. Have fun on your walk! Cindy :heart:

Oh,hehe that makes sense!:ohwell: I deffinately need to get a hrm! Maybe I'll go to Target before my walk :wink: Thanks!:flowerforyou:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Elle, Your welcome. Heart rate monitors are so cool. Mine motivates me to push harder. :smile: Cindy :heart:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Hey everyone! I walked for a total of 85 minutes today/4 miles, broken in 2; 2 miles this morning before lunch and 2 miles about an hour after dinner. I feel great!
  • tabbyh25
    tabbyh25 Posts: 66
    Options
    I would like to join if it is not too late. I have been exercising for the last month and my knees have been killing me. So I am sticking to walking for a while.

Day 1: 1 mile (18 minutes)
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our walking challenge tabbyh25!

Walking is an outstanding form of exercise and one of the most forgiving there is out there! I hope you will find this challenge fun!

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hello Team- For my first day back to walking since 5-23-09 I did 4 miles in 69 minutes. :smile: I did the first 2 miles before 9 am in 33 minutes and the second 2 miles at 9 pm in 36 minutes. When my heel is completely better I bust out those 2 miles in 29-31 minutes. I just LOVE walking. :heart: I feel great ! How is everyone else doing? Cindy :heart:
  • elle77
    Options
    Whew, just got back from my walk :tongue: Only did 2miles b/c it was getting dark! I feel good :happy:
  • csnealey
    csnealey Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hey walking buddies! I walked about 40 minutes last night. Hope all is well with everyone.

PS--To all that have joined recently, WELCOME!!
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I just read through the last couple of posts. You guys are doing great!!!! I'm glad to see everyone is walking :happy: So proud of everyone :flowerforyou: keep up the good work!!
  • TexasMom
    TexasMom Posts: 70
    Options
    Welcome Tabbyh25. Everyone did great!!!! Congrats.

Have a great weekend!! :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Another 2 miles this morning, was about 2 minutes faster :laugh: Oh well, guess I gotta start somewhere!
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    Hi walkers :flowerforyou: I just finished 4 miles in 51 minutes. :heart: I will walk again tonight 2 maybe 3 more miles. :heart: I'll update ya all tonight. Soo how is everyone doing? Arienna - great job ! 2 minutes faster is great! :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    wow! 4 miles in 51 mins. That's fantastic Cindy! Way to go :smile:

I walked/ran for a little over a mile today...right after doing 45 mins of circuit training :happy:
  • Cindysunshine
    Options
    wow! 4 miles in 51 mins. That's fantastic Cindy! Way to go :smile:

I walked/ran for a little over a mile today...right after doing 45 mins of circuit training :happy:
    Thanks a bunch ! :flowerforyou: Your workout Rocked too. :flowerforyou:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hi all!

You guys are all doing so great! I remember when 2.5 mph kicked my butt! (Of course, that was right after a spinal fusion surgery, so just being able to move--without pain--was a huge blessing :smile: )

So now, 3 1/2 years later, I'm trying to tear up the track! My challenge is to go at least 5 mph or faster --consistently!!!! This week I'll be doing my workouts on the treadmill to force my body to start to go a tad bit faster.

This morning I did about 46 minutes on the treadmill and I was up to 5.5 mph a few times! :bigsmile: It's great to have sweat just rolling off your face and dripping onto the treadmill below--it really makes it feel as though you're working out, you know! Of course, I get sweaty walking the track (or the beautiful paved trail near my house), but I think it's not quite the same for me, since I may not push myself as hard as I could. Anyway, that's this morning's workout. Tomorrow will be another treadmill workout, too. :happy:

...and tonight, after dinner (a Mongolian barbecue place where I had tons of veggies :heart: and no meat), my husband and I went to a sporting good's store and I purchased a BRAND NEW pair of walking shoes!!! Woo Hoo!! I can't wait to put some miles on those babies!!!! :bigsmile:

Have a great evening, all! :flowerforyou:

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great!!! Just think, in no time you'll be doing 5mph or more and feeling even better. That's fantastic. Way to go! :happy:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Thanks, kidvicious!

Did you get your venting walk in after all? That'd be an extra bonus for you! Just think, each step a stomp on the face of your stinky greasy toothless boss! :mad:

Of course, I'm sure he's a much softer target than concrete or track or whatever, so it may be comparable to walking on a water balloon! That has olive oil on it!!! :laugh:

...hope you're feeling better!!!
  • elle77
    Options
    Good job everyone!!! :happy:

I just got back from my walk....did 4.5 miles & I'm exhausted! I think I need to eat a lil more before I walk tomorrow b/c I totally ran out of gas on my way home.lol
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Haha :laugh: you read my "venting" post. oh man, I was SOOO angry!!!

I am def feeling A LOT better now. Thanks :smile:

No I never went for that walk. I needed to lay down after running my butt off at work. I did however, take a bubble bath instead :happy: AND I didn't pig out on bad food! YAY :tongue: