Question to all the girls - guys in the gym

Options

Replies

• Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think when someone keeps to themselves and makes a little noise its no big deal. I do it and I'm certainly not lifting heavy. I'm conscious of breathing when I run because I have headphones on and music loud and I don't want to sound like I am dying or disturb anyone for sure.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    i say who cares do whatever you need to do to get in shape. Some of the guys at my gym make me think they are Conan while lifting but i just look on with envy because all i want is muscles:)
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    When I'm working out with my trainer, and he's pushing me, I admit I do a little moaning and grunting too! If it bothers anyone, too bad!
  • jwelch7290
    jwelch7290 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I say do what you've gotta do...if it helps to make a little noise, go for it...who cares what other people think. I've done it whether there were people there or not.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I could care less what people thing. If a loud grunt is what it takes to squeeze out those last reps, so be it.
  • mmgomez28
    mmgomez28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Have you ever watched a Tennis match? If not, then watch a couple and you'll hear a couple of loud grunts from the males during a long point. Then pop on over to a females match, try Victoria Azarenka or Serena Williams, and you'll hear shrieks!

If it's too loud and too frequent, it's annoying.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,592 Member
    Options
    It's natural to grunt or blow out hard if you are training intensely on pushing out a last hard rep. It's your way of using "inner" power to finish.
    Personally I don't care for the buffoons who yell, scream and grunt loudly on EVERY rep. That's when you know it's more about attention rather than working out. And sad to say it's usually the muscle heads of the gym that do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Doesn't bother me one bit, but the guys who sit and flex and check themselves out in the mirror more than they actually work out really annoy me!
  • watsonlc
    Options
    I've never actually noticed that.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The weight dropping was a little startling when I first started going to the gym,but now I dont even notice it. I tend not to pay to much attention to whateveryone else is doing. I did once notice some guy posing in fromt of the mirror blowing kisses to himself that was kinda funny
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    It's natural to grunt or blow out hard if you are training intensely on pushing out a last hard rep. It's your way of using "inner" power to finish.
    Personally I don't care for the buffoons who yell, scream and grunt loudly on EVERY rep. That's when you know it's more about attention rather than working out. And sad to say it's usually the muscle heads of the gym that do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

couldnt have put it better myself, its down to each individual wether its genuine or for some attention
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My husband just happens to be one of those guys. But when you are leg pressing 900 lbs...you are exerting and sometimes the noise just comes out. Sometimes, when I am really pushing it, I grunt too....not showing off...just getting out that last rep

Holy crap 900lbs is 20 plates, 10 on each side.

Yup.... He has gone up to 990 but only got a couple of reps. My Dad once said that my husband's legs were like tree trunks
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I think nothing of it (except that its pretty hot!) unless theyre being obnoxious about it. The dudes that scream and yell with each rep or drop the weights are too much.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    Egotistical? I usually dont say this, but thats idiotic. When I was in better shape in my youth, I squatted over 500, deadlifted over 700, and could easily leg press 1100 pounds.....exhaling and sometimes loudly almost always was a part of it...if you try to hold your breath with that kind of weight and stress, you can pass out.

Martial arts does the same thing--do you think they have to make those noises when they do kata? No, but it emphasizes what they are doing and some say actually helps with the force of the blow when actually used.

Some people that use much less weight still make the sound, and if it helps them, so be it. Tennis stars make those sounds on heavy volleys or backhands---Monica Seles grunted on every hit.

With that being said, yes, it can be annoying. But its anything but egotistical and I have heard MORE than a fair share of women do it too.

You forgot to add, if you don't want to hear it.. Planet Fitness is that way
    >

:-D Sorry just had to add that in there!

yuck, there was a guy at youfit once that i left over that made horrible grunty noises.

and youfit is supposed to be anti-yucky grunty noise.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's only annoying if you are doing it ON PURPOSE to impress the ladies. You know who those guys are. Last night I was making a ruckus myself in the pool doing sit ups with my legs over the side. I grunt a little when I need to, but not on purpose. I say do what you have to do and don't worry about what others think. You're working on YOU not THEM!!!!! :smile:
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Heck, I make a little bit of noise when I am doing the weight circuit. If it is a louder exhale or even a slight grunt - no big deal. Those guys that make it sound like it crazy hurts - that is a bit overmuch. However, the guys that hit each others pecs or hit there own (like Tarzan) is definitely way too much. Saw this on Saturday and was very hard to do my lifting while trying not to laugh:laugh:
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I dont really pay attention i am in my own zone at the Gym i am there to get into shape not to pay attention to what everyone is doing.. i say if it helps you on your workout go for it, you pay your membership for the gym not everyone else.. so enjoy your time there and make the best out of it.. :)
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    The grunting doesn't affect me too much cause I wear headphones and try to ignore everyone. The only thing that drives me crazy is when the guys do not clear the machines of their massive amounts of WEIGHTS and I have to do it.

Come on gentlemen, get a clue.......a 51 year old woman can not remove 300lbs of weights from the equipment. Please put the bar back to zero and be aware that you are not the only person in the gym. I can't tell you how many times I've had to skip one particular exercise because I couldnt' get the weights off the equipment. They were too heavy for me.
  • Hecnotha1
    Hecnotha1 Posts: 200
    Options
    As a fellow lifter, i say do as you want. Think of the gym as your playground, Theres just a few other ppl in it. Personally i only grunt or breathe heavy with 2 exercises; Chest and Back. everything else its just exhale through the nose. Reason being, on chest your laying on a bench with 225 for reps and thats pressure on your back so your naturally going to push those last breaths out, and back < when im doing hammer strengths with the pad on my chest doing rows i cant help but grunt like a savage beast, i got 180lbs on each side. do you ,fk evry1else
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always think that they guy making the noise is lifting beyond their capabilities, (sorry guys! )