at what weight/size is it acceptable to wear a bikini?

Options

Replies

• marine_wife0520
    Options
    Do what you want, but a "Kick Me" sign would be more appropriate.

Do people enjoy being ridiculed?

That is the most amazing answer!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That is the most amazing answer!
    Yes. Amazing answer. Ridicule is such a lovely personality trait. And, of course, ridiculing others (complete strangers, no less) doesn't reflect back on the person doing the ridiculing in any way. It shows one to be a discerning, compassionate, wonderful human being full of love.

I wish there was more ridicule in the world.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't see physical differences as a valid reason to ridicule someone?
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion - never! I wouldn't wear my underwear out in public so why the hell would I wear a bikini. They're just a type of clothing I do not, never have and never will understand. Why the vast majority of females consider them essntial beach wear is beyond me.

A more reasonable opinion - whenever and wheverever you both feel confident and aren't offending public decency - eg bikini in a shopping mall never okay regardless of size and thong/string bikini on a lady so large that you actually can't tell she is wearing anything at all never okay.

An honest opinion - UK Size 10-12 and below.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm impressed at everyone's body confidence on here. Personally I don't feel comfortable wearing a bikini if I'm over 113 or particularly bloated that day, but that's certainly not to say that hold anyone else to that standard. What anyone else wears or chooses to do with their bodies is none of my damn business, and what I find physically attractive is irrelevant. eg. I personally love long hair, but that doesn't make someone else wrong or unattractive for having short hair.
    The answer to this, as others have said, is to rock it whenever you feel comfortable in it.
  • raw_sugar
    Options
    When you feel confident enough to, and screw anyone who would seek to shame you.

When I bought my first one (stretch marks be damned! ) I realized two things... A) no one on the beach gave a **** what I looked like and B) with my build, a bikini actually looked better, as the one-piece I had pulled my shoulders down and had no boob support and basically made me look dumpy as hell.

But back to point a). Most people are not going to care what you wear.. And those that would shame you are just *kitten*. So go with what makes YOU feel good.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    "She asked for opinions -- I'm giving mine. When did that become a crime? And yes, I am feeling a bit & defensive."

No-one on here is maligning smokers or skinny people. At 5 6 and 125 I probably qualify for skinny myself. tbh, I could have coped with anything but the shudder.

Me too. If it bothers you, look the other way. Personally, I wouldn't choose to wear a bikini until my stomach was relatively toned, regardless of my size, but I'm really glad that the lady described feels confident enough in herself to wear what she wants to on the beach. I wish I had her guts!

You want me to walk around with my eyes closed?

No, I want you not to be one of those people who treat gawking at others who do not match their own specifications for physical beauty or normalcy as a spectator sport and a source of amusement. If you see something you don't like, look the other way - find something that does not induce shudders in you to look at. You may see something, but you don't have to 'look' at it.

If you'd actually READ what I posted, the lady in question was wobbling along in front of me on a busy street & I couldn't get around her. Therefore, to not see her I'd have had to walk along with my eyes closed.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is acceptable to wear bikinis. I'd rather everyone left something to the imagination and practice a bit more modesty. You can look cute in a one piece that holds everything in appropriately.

You may be surprised to hear that I wear a bikini precisely BECAUSE it holds everything in place appropriately, unlike one pieces, which have no support built in.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    The problem is, fluffy, that you see your disgust as her problem, and not your own.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Whenever you're comfortable. There's no "acceptable" size / weight. It's all up to you. I've got a friend who's about 200 lbs and she proudly rocks a bikini. Even if people look she doesn't give a crap. Whenever you're ready to flaunt what you've got, wear one and wear it proudly.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    I suppose I'm just with MaximaLife, I don't understand how they can walk around like that and then wonder why people laugh & make fun of them.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    "They" don't wonder, "they" don't notice, "they" don't care at all, fluffy. You do.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    Sorry, I have got a bit cross. Thanks, OP, and good night.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    The heavily overweight girl who wears skimpy clothes a size too small and then bursts out crying when people look obviously cares.
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't see physical differences as a valid reason to ridicule someone?

If only people stopped worrying so much on what they perceive to be imperfections on others, and focused more on themselves.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

It's about confidence and health, not necessarily weight and size. :)

This.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    I completely agree that's it's all about confidence level! However I think it also depends upon what you are doing while in a bikini. If I am at a water park or beach with my kids where I need to bend and move a lot a bikini is not for me then. No matter what. However maybe on a vacy with my usband that would be a different story. SOMEDAY at least!
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Come to Florida..................you will never ask that question again. There are all shapes and sizes wearing them. It's your own comfort level.............who cares what other people think....we have to feel good about ourselves:bigsmile:
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Whenever you want - I have always worn one - was in one today - don't wear any other bathers unless I am 'proper swimming' - I don't care what people think - that isn't so much a confidence thing as a 'I hate clothing' so the less the better for me :ohwell:
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    Come to Florida..................you will never ask that question again. There are all shapes and sizes wearing them. It's your own comfort level.............who cares what other people think....we have to feel good about ourselves:bigsmile:

I love this. Actually, when I went to Cuba, there were women of all sizes rocking bikinis and looking amazing. It's so wonderful when you can be somewhere and not feel like you're being judged.