Options

Replies

• slinkymalinki
    Options
    Sleep. I'm sorry, but come on.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Maybe some of these people have devices that you wear all day to estimate calorie burn (like BodyBugg/BodyMediaFit/FitBit) and are itemizing their day b/c they can actually view the estimated calorie burn for specific portions of their day. I know at least one of these has a 'slider' function where you can look at the estimated calorie burn for specific time periods. Maybe you think it's overkill but maybe they are just trying to get a better idea of how different activities affect their overall day.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bravo, Virginia90. Well said. This is an attempt to motivate oneself. Baby steps (putting the bins out) will hopefully turn into leaps (walking an extra mile) and bounds (running an extra mile). Some "activities" sound too absurd to log, but if these activities help you to move more than before, more power to you!
  • mle_k
    mle_k Posts: 88
    Options
    Some people might have had virtually no activity level before joining MFP, so if they are doing something outta the ordinary, then why not log it? I don't count things like dishes or laundry, but if I go outside and mow the lawn (push mower obviously), then I'll log it. If a person is starting from a point in their life that they see "every day things" as exercise, then little victories that seem absurd to others could be a big deal to them. Maybe the trash bin is far away from their house - our trash bins are about 1/5 mile away from our house because we have a long driveway, but I have my DH bring that out. lol If I had to bring it out, I'd log it too! 2/5 mile is 2/5 mile! That being said, I don't log the odd household things, but instead think of them as bonus points, but I don't think it's nice to call something someone else logs absurd - like I said, it could be a victory for that person to have accomplished something they used to not do. Besides - if they are only doing it to make up reasons to eat more, then they probably aren't in the same place as some of us, and need more support from this community, not ridicule. Just my $.02.

KUDOS!

Where is that pesky little "like" button?

If I go into one of my rampage cleaning modes (which only happens about twice a month and means everything gets cleaned) and it's a non workout day- I will log it. But for "Light Housework" i cut it in half usually. So if I do laundry (strip and remake bed included), do the dishes, sweep, mop, vacuum, pick up things around my apartment, clean ceiling fans, dust all areas, and take the trash out (which requires walking across a parking lot)... it may take me 2 hours all together, but I will log 45 mins. It's calories burned and not something I do everyday and lets face it... I wouldn't be burning those calories if i were sitting on the couch channel surfing.

I agree with Virginia. We shouldn't pass judgement - just be supportive. You gotta start somewhere... even if that means walking the trash out to the end of the driveway.

Like. and Like. :flowerforyou:

I tend to use "cleaning" as a placeholder when we are doing home renovations or other odd jobs that break a sweat... Someone (who is not on my friend-list anymore) called me out for logging 2 hours of cleaning... however that 300+ calories from "cleaning" was really just a bonus I added for the 6-7 hours of hand mixing and pouring concrete for a small foundation... I think I deserved a couple beers for that :wink:

Anyways... my point is this... I wouldn't judge a persons exercise log unless that person is YOU. Be supportive... and if you can't do that don't say anything at all..
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

Think about this for a minute - the person who burned 600 calories from cleaning the house has a HELL of a lot farther to go than you do for weight loss. I started over 300 lbs - at that weight, walking 3mph for 90 minutes was over 750 calories. now its down quite a bit. Tiny little people who are stressing over 2 pounds or 2 inches annoy me and bum me out a lot more than the guy who's struggling to make a life changing (and life-SAVING) move to responsible & healthy living.

I agree! There are people here that are trying to change their lives, and sometimes it must be done in baby steps. We shouldn't judge others for doing their thing! As long as someone is getting healthier and losing, who are we to judge the way that they do it? Most of us are here for similar reasons, we want to be healthy, and we would like to friendly support and motivation while doing it. So, let's get to supporting and motivating our MFP friends, not judging and deleting!
  • MikesMuffin
    Options
    This, right here is why I don't log my exercises on MFP. I log mine on LoseIt! At least there people don't delete you for logging things like driving or shopping. My bad that I burn more calories pushing a grocery cart around for 2 hours than you do running in place for 3. But I'm not here to impress anyone but myself. If a person thinks what I'm doing is absurd or petty then more power to you. Be on your marry way because I'm doing what I want to do to keep out with my weight lost.
    Brilliant post. I couldn't agree more. Logs are good for people to compare but at the end of the day our personal logs are a tool for us. If someone I don't know takes exception to anything I log then they can feel free to delete me, no skin off my nose.:happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'd only say something about what people log if they're wondering why they're not getting the progress they want.

I don't log normal housework, but I'm set to lightly active. I will log extreme cleaning, like they kind I do before a party or if people with pet allergies are visiting and I gotta de-fur the whole house, under the couch and behind the tv, etc.

Over the summer, during one such cleaning frenzy, I didn't log housework as exercise, and had two days of inside cleaning (one day upstairs, one day downstairs) and a day of yard work. I was aiming to lose a half pound a week. I lost 2.5 that week. I'm guessing I had a pretty good burn! :laugh:
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    The problem with logging every little thing as exercise is that you are most likely going to get a "calories burned" number higher than you actually did burn, and thus eat more calories through out the day, and thus have a hard time loosing or maintaining weight... After getting a heart rate monitor... It turns out (unfortunately) MFP already WAY overestimates the amount of calories burned when I was exercising... (usually I was only actually burning about 2/3 what MFP said I was burning) So if you are logging (and eating to make up for those calories) you may have a hard time loosing since your calorie burn is off... Personally, I'd rather underestimate calories burned by not logging, then overestimating and giving myself permission to eat more
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Each to their own... I support anyone wanting to make a positive change in their life!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    This-Thread-Fails.gif
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I 100% agree with the original post and if someone is a repeat offender of this I usually delete them as petty as it sounds.

MFP has a daily activity calculator. If you are scrubbing the floor cinderella style every night for 2 hours then you should set yourself to be a higher level of activity than what you have rather than adding every day activity as extra work.

Edit* I'm talking about everyday activity - assuming cleaning is everyday, if it's not then I just envy your life and am bitter and jealous I have to clean lol

But by this logic, if you go to the gym more than, say 4 times a week, wouldn't that become daily exercise and should no longer be logged as exercise, but included into your lifestyle?
  • MrsNinaMartin
    Options
    I delete people that overlog, may sound harsh but I just come from the gym for a hour where I only burned 300 calories working my *kitten* off I dont want to come log it and see "so and so had burned 678 calories cleaning- light-moderate for 30 mins" ect... Bums me out lol

Wow, that's a thought I don't blame you, once I get my membership back I will add you so you won't then delete me cause my logs are small but victorious jsing lol
  • BoopsyBoop
    BoopsyBoop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I log "everyday activities" too and I am no way sedentary. I clean my house everyday, mop the floors on my hands and knees, vaccuum, walk my dog, clean my cars, wash the windows, laundry. The thing about it though...I work up a sweat doing all these things and I consider them a workout. Hell going to the grocery store where I live is a workout....just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's absurd.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I understood this whole My Fitness Pal thing is about an individual losing weight / getting healthy. I have seen a lot of really skinny people here who are probably in it for the "Fitness" - some of us are here for the "Fatness".

If anyone wants to log anything it is THEIR body; THEIR actions and their results. It doesn't take away from any one else. This is NOT a competition between people, it is a challenge to each individual. The individual will get a better understanding of what they eat and how they exercise, and how it all fits together. If they "cheat" then they will know.

So enjoy YOUR exercise and efforts, whatever they may be; support your friends here in their exercise and efforts, and appreciate we all have a reason to be here.

Very well said. Thank you!
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This-Thread-Fails.gif

HAHA!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Some people might have had virtually no activity level before joining MFP, so if they are doing something outta the ordinary, then why not log it? I don't count things like dishes or laundry, but if I go outside and mow the lawn (push mower obviously), then I'll log it. If a person is starting from a point in their life that they see "every day things" as exercise, then little victories that seem absurd to others could be a big deal to them. Maybe the trash bin is far away from their house - our trash bins are about 1/5 mile away from our house because we have a long driveway, but I have my DH bring that out. lol If I had to bring it out, I'd log it too! 2/5 mile is 2/5 mile! That being said, I don't log the odd household things, but instead think of them as bonus points, but I don't think it's nice to call something someone else logs absurd - like I said, it could be a victory for that person to have accomplished something they used to not do. Besides - if they are only doing it to make up reasons to eat more, then they probably aren't in the same place as some of us, and need more support from this community, not ridicule. Just my $.02.

I totally agree!!!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I don't judge but also agree with you. I will clean my entire house top to bottom and not log it as exercise. I just don't see it as exercise as it's something I do regardless.
    Don't get me wrong, it's fine if someone wants to log cleaning. That's one thing. But when I see someone that logged that they burned 500 calories by doing 'food preparation', which I seriously have seen, it does get to me a bit. Especially if I just worked my butt off working out for an hour to lose 500 calories.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Same, bums me out, but I don't delete them.. xD
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have been logging my exercise, only because it keeps me intact. Sometimes I tend to be less than active, for personal reasons. But this is giving me a routine that I REALLY need. If people dont like me for logging it then thats their opinion, and I really dont care. I dont think its fair for people to be judging. Thats not what were here for, we are here for support. Or atleast thats why im here. If your not, well thats your choice. Dont sit back and judge someone because they are trying to get into some kind of a routine, to make it easier for them to get and be more active. Have a great day everyone.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I personally don't log the day to day activities like dishes, laundry, etc. But if I shovel snow or go running or do a real workout then I will log it. I think that for some people it is helpful for them to see what they burn when they do some chores etc. I would just be worried that if I log those things, it will overstate my calore burn for the day so I would rather underestimate and keep maintaining than overestimate my calorie burn. But to each his/her own.
This discussion has been closed.