StrongLifts 5x5

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Re running & lifting

You're body has a finite recovery ability. Each time we exercise, it stresses the body and we need the nutrition and rest to recover. It is up to the individual to know their own recovery abilities. Google for overtraining.

I would probably try and set it up with high and low days like you do with lifting (when you surpass beginner levels).

ie. M 5x5
    Tue rest
    W long/fast run
    Th 5x5
    Fri: light run
    Sat: 5x5
    Sun: rest/light run

Just an example. Or could drop one of the strength training sessions. It really depends on what your main priorities are. As they say for guys, you can't be a powerlifting, mma fighting, pro bodybuilder. Pick one and go for it :smile:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So last night I did 2 sets of squats at 125 and decided it was not a great idea, dropped to 95 and could only squeeze out 1 more set. My deads are at 150. I had to use the over under grip and it was kinda grindy. Today and last night my hip flexor is screaming at me. I did a llittle massage trick last night and released the Psoas and that helped some.

Here's my stats with my last successfull 5x5 for each exercise:
    Squats: 120
    Overheads: 90 barely
    DL:150
    Rows: 90 barely
    bench: 100 barely

Someone suggested that I drop the weight by half and go really slow on each rep and build back up. Today's focus is yoga and tonight foam roller on my ITB and back. My main goal in this is changing body composition and blood glucose controll. I still have a high BF %age and I want to keep the muscle I've gained but need more core strenth especially transverse abdominus and psoas. I also need to strenghten hams and the erector spinae group. Ideas? is it time to go to 3x5? time to drop my compounds by 5 -10lbs and add some isolations to work on weaknesess?

Thanks in advance.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So last night I did 2 sets of squats at 125 and decided it was not a great idea, dropped to 95 and could only squeeze out 1 more set. My deads are at 150. I had to use the over under grip and it was kinda grindy. Today and last night my hip flexor is screaming at me. I did a llittle massage trick last night and released the Psoas and that helped some.

Someone suggested that I drop the weight by half and go really slow on each rep and build back up. Today's focus is yoga and tonight foam roller on my ITB and back. My main goal in this is changing body composition and blood glucose controll. I still have a high BF %age and I want to keep the muscle I've gained but need more core strenth especially transverse abdominus and psoas. I also need to strenghten hams and the erector spinae group. Ideas? is it time to go to 3x5? time to drop my compounds by 5 -10lbs and add some isolations to work on weaknesess?

Thanks in advance.

Dropping the weight 50% seems a bit much. Try taking maybe 80% of what you're lifting and try that, so maybe startover with 120lbs on the DL. Also, lifting slow is not a good route. Each lift should be a controlled-explosive movement. As the weight gets heavier obviously it's going to be a slowed movement but the intent for each lift should be explosive. It's funny if you watch some DL training vid's and you'll see some of the guys do the training with 130lbs and because they're use to being explosive you'll see them damn near fall backwards because they lift explosively and they're use to several 100lbs on the bar.
  • irridia
    Options
    Yeah, it's pretty grindy as it is for everything at this point, with out deliberately trying to slow down. Thx.
  • irridia
    Options
    Totally lost it last night and fell on my butt in the hole at 120 lbs lastnight, first rep even. Still trying to decide if I'm hurt. I did deload even more to 115 and squeezed out 3 sets until I thought I might be aggrivating things. I also got 5 sets of 5 bp @100 lbs , and rows at 90.

neck is more sore than it should be. lower back right around L1 kinda hurts.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Totally lost it last night and fell on my butt in the hole at 120 lbs lastnight, first rep even. Still trying to decide if I'm hurt. I did deload even more to 115 and squeezed out 3 sets until I thought I might be aggrivating things. I also got 5 sets of 5 bp @100 lbs , and rows at 90.

neck is more sore than it should be. lower back right around L1 kinda hurts.

Wow, sorry to hear that! Weight lifting accidents are never good. Hopefully you're not feeling any nerve damage or anything, take a few days off. How did you increment your weights on your exercises, 2.5, 5, 10?
  • irridia
    Options
    been doing 5 incruments. (gads I can't spell)
    I'm ending up taking time off, more coincedentally, didn't have time Sunday and then felt super dizzy from a sinus infection last night so I'm just going cardio, back and neck still a little sore. It was frickin scary that's for sure.
  • JNick77
    Options
    been doing 5 incruments. (gads I can't spell)
    I'm ending up taking time off, more coincedentally, didn't have time Sunday and then felt super dizzy from a sinus infection last night so I'm just going cardio, back and neck still a little sore. It was frickin scary that's for sure.

Yeah, lifting exercises can be scary. Sometimes it's best to pack it up and live to lift another day. :)
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump...

Had my first stall today at 60 lbs on overhead press. I got in 3x5, 1x4, 1x3. Kind of disappointing, I thought I would be able to lift heavier. Oh well.

After about 5 weeks (sometimes only getting in 1 or 2 workouts a week), here's where I'm at:

squat - 90
    bench press - 65
    barbell row - 55
    overhead press (stall today) - 60
    deadlift - 85

The exercises are starting to get hard for me! Hopefully I can hold off stalling a while longer on the rest.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi all, have been on the sidelines due to an ankle injury. Gradually coming back, but I'll have to work my way back up gradually on the squats and deadlifts due to the pressure on the ankle. Frustrating.

I think it's cool to see how much people are lifting. It strikes me that other ladies can lift quite a bit on the upper body but relatively less on the lower. I'm the total opposite. I got up to 145 on my squat but could never do more than 60 on the bench. LOL.

After my involuntary month off I discovered my shoulders stopped hurting. Then I did bench presses and they hurt again. I'm reviewing my form, but I've been substituting push ups for the benches and they are feeling good. Might continue that for awhile.

Glad to see everyone again!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this, but I've recently started using the Wendler 5 3 1 to work in my strength. I'm currently using it for my back squat and shoulder press (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength). My whole gym is doing it and we are on week three. Currently my backsquat max is 105 and my shoulder press max is 70.

Basically, everything you do is based upon your 1 rep max. (Actually, you find your "working 1 rep max" which is 90% of your actual 1 rep max and base all calculations off of that). You go through a four week sequence to systemically increase your strength, without ever actually lifting at your 1 rep max during this time. I like this, because I can get stronger without straining at the MOST I can possible lift, and I know how much to lift.

For example - I'll tell you what I've done with my backsquat and shoulder press the past three weeks. (This is in addition to my workouts, and I'm doing this one day a week for each lift - one day for backsquat and one day for shoulder press.)

Week 1:
    Warm Up:5 ×40%, 5×50%, 5×60%
    Work: 5×65%, 5×75%, 5×85%+ (this '+' on the final set means do as many reps as you can, but you should do at least 5 - don't necessarily go until failure though)

Week 2:
    Warmup: 5×40%, 5×50%, 5×60%
    Work: 3×70%, 3×80%, 3×90%+

Week 3:
    Work: 5×75%, 3×85%, 1×95%+

Remember: ALL of these percentages are based off of your WORKING 1 rep max which is 90% of your actual max.

I'm only on week three but so far I really like it! In week 1 for my shoulder press I could not get 5 reps at 85% - I could only get 3. I was so bummed! However, week two, I actually managed to get 4 reps at 90%! I like seeing the progress. I was super stoked to get 10 reps in today at 95% on my backsquat! I can keep you posted on how this actually helps increase my one rep max (because that is the idea behind all of this - to try and maybe get a 5lbs increase and then repeat the cycle).

I realize this isn't the method you do - but I just I'd throw out some other options :)
  • JNick77
    Options
    I'm very new to this, but I've recently started using the Wendler 5 3 1 to work in my strength. I'm currently using it for my back squat and shoulder press (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/how_to_build_pure_strength). My whole gym is doing it and we are on week three. Currently my backsquat max is 105 and my shoulder press max is 70.

Basically, everything you do is based upon your 1 rep max. (Actually, you find your "working 1 rep max" which is 90% of your actual 1 rep max and base all calculations off of that). You go through a four week sequence to systemically increase your strength, without ever actually lifting at your 1 rep max during this time. I like this, because I can get stronger without straining at the MOST I can possible lift, and I know how much to lift.

For example - I'll tell you what I've done with my backsquat and shoulder press the past three weeks. (This is in addition to my workouts, and I'm doing this one day a week for each lift - one day for backsquat and one day for shoulder press.)

Week 1:
    Warm Up:5 ×40%, 5×50%, 5×60%
    Work: 5×65%, 5×75%, 5×85%+ (this '+' on the final set means do as many reps as you can, but you should do at least 5 - don't necessarily go until failure though)

Week 2:
    Work: 3×70%, 3×80%, 3×90%+

Week 3:
    Work: 5×75%, 3×85%, 1×95%+

Remember: ALL of these percentages are based off of your WORKING 1 rep max which is 90% of your actual max.

I'm only on week three but so far I really like it! In week 1 for my shoulder press I could not get 5 reps at 85% - I could only get 3. I was so bummed! However, week two, I actually managed to get 4 reps at 90%! I like seeing the progress. I was super stoked to get 10 reps in today at 95% on my backsquat! I can keep you posted on how this actually helps increase my one rep max (because that is the idea behind all of this - to try and maybe get a 5lbs increase and then repeat the cycle).

I realize this isn't the method you do - but I just I'd throw out some other options :)

We actually started a thread on 5/3/1 here if you want to discuss this more with people doing it, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330126-wendler-5-3-1. :) Or you can friend me too and we can talk; I've been doing it for a while now.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    We actually started a thread on 5/3/1 here if you want to discuss this more with people doing it, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/330126-wendler-5-3-1. :) Or you can friend me too and we can talk; I've been doing it for a while now.

Thanks! Didn't mean to highjack the topic. I'm new to this and didn't realize what sort of totally separate programs there are - I've been reading through that thread and it seems some people split off from one the other. I only mentioned it because I was thinking it could be an alternative to cutting to 50% like someone had suggested to the OP. Sorry! I'm still learning :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance.

Did you read the section of the site explaining how to deload and when to switch routines? Have you stalled multiple times at this weight already?

If you did two sets at 125, I'm assuming you were able to get through 5 sets at 120 the workout previous? Why did you drop it all the way down to 95?

Did you start out with just the bar for all weights?

Finally is there a specific cause for you weak areas? You listed a few but are they weaknesses because you need to build them or are they weaknesses from a past injury or something?

I've found it's better to stick with the weight on the bar and just do fewer reps (that is of course assuming you aren't concerned about getting injured).

I would also suggest following the website specs for deloading, and not switching to isolation exercises but staying with your current routine.

You have to stall sometime, it happens to everyone. Good luck!
  • JNick77
    Options
    Someone suggested that I drop the weight by half and go really slow on each rep and build back up. time to drop my compounds by 5 -10lbs and add some isolations to work on weaknesess?

I would also suggest following the website specs for deloading, and not switching to isolation exercises but staying with your current routine.

Stalling definitely happens to everybody, don't stress, sometimes you have to take a step back to take two forward.

RE going slow on reps: Easy answer, NO. These lifts should be performed with max effort. Due to the weight you may move slow at some point but always use max effort, don't intentionally move the weight slowly. Even if you move the weight down a bit keep it max effort. That's why lifters like Louis Simmons and Dave Tate are huge proponents of Dynamic Lifting as well.

Deloading: It might be time for you to deload. Did you progress too quickly perhaps?

Weak Areas and Isolation Work: You should definitely address weak area. I haven't read this program in a while so I don't recall how isolation work is addressed but you should ADD some, not replace the main lifts with iso work.

- Bench Press: Floor Presses (not an iso lift) and Tricep Extension of some kind, I prefer Skullcrushers with an EZ Bar. The Floor Presses will help with that sticking point in the bench press. Surprisingly enough, these work for the OHP as well because they really help with tricep strength development.

- Squats: Good Mornings (back and glutes), Lunges (all around good leg developer, quads, hams, glutes), other hamstring work like, Glute Ham Raises or Leg Curls if nothing else.

- Deadlifts: Romanian Deadlifts (low back and hammies), Top-Half Deadlifts (bar just above knees from the pins in a power rack, use your heaviest regular deadlift weight).

- Other: chin-ups / pull-ups, shoulder shrugs (develop the traps), heavy rows, ab's.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Started doing Stronglifts this winter, really like it and have enjoyed the results. I'm kind of thinking far ahead here, but for those of you who do other activities, how do you continue to include lifting? My main activity in the summer is cycling, good exercise and I just really enjoy it. So as spring rolls in, I will start getting back on the bike. I would like to at least hang onto most of the strength gains I have made, but realize that the current heavy lifting and riding would be too much. I was thinking that maybe I would start to cut back from 3 to 2 days a week, and and then eventually just lift one day a week over the summer and shoot more for just maintenance. Then start to ramp it back up in the fall.

I am interested to hear what other people do to work around other activities.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    Started doing Stronglifts this winter, really like it and have enjoyed the results. I'm kind of thinking far ahead here, but for those of you who do other activities, how do you continue to include lifting? My main activity in the summer is cycling, good exercise and I just really enjoy it. So as spring rolls in, I will start getting back on the bike. I would like to at least hang onto most of the strength gains I have made, but realize that the current heavy lifting and riding would be too much. I was thinking that maybe I would start to cut back from 3 to 2 days a week, and and then eventually just lift one day a week over the summer and shoot more for just maintenance. Then start to ramp it back up in the fall.

I am interested to hear what other people do to work around other activities.

In my honest opinion, lifting 1 day a week isn't enough to maintain. I would try for 2 if possible. How do you feel after your bike rides? I find that doing cardio between my lifting days helps me with lifting the following day. Before assuming it's too much, I would suggest trying it but keeping very careful track of how you're feeling/doing to avoid overdoing it. If you're really worried about rest, can you lift and then go cycling after? That's kind of the best of both worlds I would think.
  • mulsas
    mulsas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I will probably just start a slow transition and see how it goes, it won't be for a few months anyways. I know in the past when I have ridden even the morning following a lifting day, my legs feel a little dead. And that wasn't even lifting heavy like now. Maybe the key will be having a little time between the two to ensure recovery, like lifting Monday and Wednesday, then riding later in the week and weekends.

If anyone else has any comments about how they balance StrongLifts with other sports, I would be interested to hear about it.
  • ArroganceInStep
    Options
    I lift MWF consistently around lunch time, occasionally I'll go to karate on Wednesday's or do a light workout with my fiancee at night after we get home.

I try to do cardio on TTh but if I'm busy at work or need to have a lunch meeting those are the first things to go. I'm planning on starting up rugby again on TTh after work when it gets warmer.

Saturday's I do minimum of 2 hours of karate, occasionally I'll do 4. Either on Saturday or Sunday I'll do something like Insanity or P90X with the fiancee, that's between 1 and 2 hours.

I'm out of shape, but I'm still used to that amount of exercise, I'm often sore throughout the day, but I just make sure to take it easy at work and such and I'm usually in time for whatever my next workout. The only time it really gets to be an issue for me at least is when I'm not careful with my diet. If I don't get enough protein or time my carbs around my workout (and there's a decent chance this might be mental, I'm just not sure) I find I have a lot less energy and it's harder to sack up and get through whatever I'm doing.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I will probably just start a slow transition and see how it goes, it won't be for a few months anyways. I know in the past when I have ridden even the morning following a lifting day, my legs feel a little dead. And that wasn't even lifting heavy like now. Maybe the key will be having a little time between the two to ensure recovery, like lifting Monday and Wednesday, then riding later in the week and weekends.

If anyone else has any comments about how they balance StrongLifts with other sports, I would be interested to hear about it.

Yeah, you have to watch how you balance Sports and Lifting for sure. In-season I would keep lifting to 2 to 3 days tops, find a template that works for you to fit in the time. On a 2-day split you could do something like, Day 1 = Bench and Deadlift / Day 2 = OHP and Back Squat. This will at least cover the 4 core lifts although it excludes Rowing which could be easily added with a 3rd day.