Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

ever been told you werent good looking?

Replies

• valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Not to my face, but I once over heard my great grandma tell my step mom that I "used to be as pretty as a model." Does that count?
  • BShanese
    BShanese Posts: 7 Member
    I haven't been told that I was ugly (welllll except for my twin brother who used to be a jerk, lol) but I have felt that way about myself. I realize that's it's definitely in the way that I treat myself and I am working on that! Getting healthier definitely works wonders.

And I haven't seen one ugly person in this thread...
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    okay so let me ask you this....

all the bad bully like comments...

are they any part of why you all are working so hard to get in shape or stay in shape ?

if you say its purely for your self.. well.. sure.. but i know that if people constantly told me i was fat or something... yeah id have that much more on me to get in shape.

i guess where im going is, sometimes these awful comments that are usually just so wrong and far from the truth, might have made you get on the bandwagon of a fit lifestyle.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    i have been told i am ugly for the longest time. It was more evident in the teenages years. As i age, i think i am getting cuter and those who were commenting on how ugly i was are getting pass their prime. Revenge is a dish best served cold ;)
  • DeeJayTJ

me either :)!!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    of course i been told that .. it hurts too.. i would never tell someone that because i know how it feels. took me some years to realize it but really looks are only skin deep. i want to know how someone is in their heart and their mind. if those two dont click for me i really dont care what someone looks like. i had a guy once ask me if i would ever go out with a guy like him.. i said what do you mean by that ? his reply 'well im ugly and someone like you probably wouldnt go out with me'.. omg i felt so bad he said that.. i went out with him and we realized we arent a match for personality reasons but we are still friends..some lucky girl will have wonderful man some day..
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member

me either :)!!

Exactly.
  • brindlechewy
    brindlechewy Posts: 84 Member
    Yes!

I have heard guys in their groups comment "horrible" or "nahhhhhh!!" and even "fat" - all out loud, loud enough for me to hear when I have walked past them or when they have walked past me, on holiday and here in the UK.

All of them were British guys, by the way! :mad:

I really think that the best thing to do is to confront people like that. You don't even have to say anything to them, simply turn around and give them a long look. People who say hateful things like that are generally cowards who count on their "target" just taking the abuse and walking away. It's actually pretty amusing to see the looks of confusion and embarrassment when they realize that you won't tolerate their boorish behavior. I guess I sound a little crazy, but this topic has gotten me really worked up. I spent my entire childhood and young-adulthood being the butt of everyone's jokes, and I've decided that it's never going to happen to me again--or to ANYONE else if I can help it. I'm not advocating that anyone do anything crazy or dangerous, just stick up for yourself and others.
  • beckipercy
    beckipercy Posts: 160 Member
    I've also got a friend who, bless her heart, used to try and help me get guys on a night out when I was single. This not only made me feel ridiculous and childish, but extremely ugly too. Especially when the response was always "Nah, wouldn't mind you though" and she used to get all the attention anyway!!

This time next year, i WILL be the hot friend, and the ugly friend will never rear her ugly head again!
  • Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    In junior high I was called a "butter face" - everything's good but the face by someone... And people have always made comments about my nose, some good and some bad, but either way it has made me feel self-conscious about it =/
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Long story short... yes.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    In junior high I was called a "butter face" - everything's good but the face by someone... And people have always made comments about my nose, some good and some bad, but either way it has made me feel self-conscious about it =/

But you have such a cute nose!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    i remember one time sitting in a bar and some guy told this older lady she was ugly.. she was a tad schnockered and responded with..'well you aint exactly no oil paintin' honey'.. omg i laughed so damn hard.. that had to be about 25 years ago and i never forgot it because it was just such a funny response. that guy was speechless but omg was it funny
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Only by my brother, and his opinion was never of any consequence to me.
  • BShanese
    BShanese Posts: 7 Member
    maryjay51 that is funny! :laugh:
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    I got the "what a shame, such a pretty face" many times, but one of m y coworkers once told me that I made a good match with my husband since neither of us was truly attractive, maybe just mediocre -_-. Mind you, she outweighed me by over 100 lbs, and was less than stellar herself in the looks department!
  • DeeJayTJ
    I got the "what a shame, such a pretty face" many times, but one of m y coworkers once told me that I made a good match with my husband since neither of us was truly attractive, maybe just mediocre -_-. Mind you, she outweighed me by over 100 lbs, and was less than stellar herself in the looks department!

wow!

i can kinda relate, the girl that told me i wasnt good looking has really let herself go.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Back in the day I met a girl from online for basically a "dinner date" once... we hung out... I could tell she really wasn't digging me... and at the end when I asked her if she'd like to see me again she said, "I really think I need to keep all my options open because I think I can do better."
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    a coworker actually said to me "you must look like your dad because your mom and sister are really hot"...um ok thanks jerk!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    This is going to be long so please bear with me :wink:

I had a boyfriend who was a bit controlling when I was 17. He had this friend from South Africa (we live in Ireland). He told me that his friend said I was "the ugliest girl he'd ever seen". Number one, why would this guy say this to his friend (my boyfriend) about his girlfriend, and number two, why did he tell me?

Fast forward a few years and I was having Christmas dinner in my fiance's grandmother's house. Fiance's uncle is married to a South African girl. This girl's brother and father were in Ireland visiting her so they were also invited to dinner. So in walks the brother....and who is he? Ex-boyfriends friend! (Ireland is waaay too small). So I told my fiance that he once called me the ugliest girl he'd ever seen and my fiance just laughed as if to say that's ridiculous.

I still don't know if they guy said it or if my ex boyfriend was just trying to dent my confidence. Back then I was around 100lbs!

It's always stuck with me though, and I'll never be confident.