Someone talk books with me, please!

Options

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin is one of my favorites. Also on HBO. Not as good as the books but still very good.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options

Animal Farm and 1984 are 2 books I think everyone should read. they are very interesting and easy to read but make poignant statements about the politics.

I really liked the Twilight series too but again, that's pure fluff.

I read the part about Animal Farm and 1984 and thought "OMG!! I love those books!" Saw Twilight and I was let down by humanity...

I felt the same way, including Nickel and Dimed. I was like whyyyyyyyyyyy... Bram Stoker rolls in his grave every time says something like that lol...
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    The most memorable book I've read in years (and I read 4 or 5 a month), is "The Same Kind of Different as Me". don't have it in front of me, so can't come up with the authors names, but look for it on Amazon. It is not something I would pick off the shelf to read, but it is unforgettable. It's a memoir of a homeless man and his perception of society, and societies' perception of the homeless in general, him in particular. You won't regret reading it. It's the kind of book you buy copies of to give to your friends! Tip: you will need a box of kleenex for the last 1/3 of the book.

You might like - 'The Mole People: Life in the Tunnels Beneath New York City' It has stuck with me for a long time, a bit creepy, but interesting too.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i have read the entire 'love at stake' series by karrelyn sparks... which starts with 'how to marry a millionaire vampire' and has several more books. and they are all equally entertaining. lots of humor and the modern twist on the vampire character is great. i definitely recommend it if you enjoy the contemporary/romance/comedy/vampire combination :)
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin is one of my favorites. Also on HBO. Not as good as the books but still very good.

I started listening to the first book on cd. I couldn't make it past halfway. Maybe it was the reader. Think I'll watch the HBO series instead
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you like mystery or thriller James Rollins is great. Dan Brown, as well. I read the Hunger Games and REALLY enjoyed it.

If you like Fantasy at all, R.A. Salvatore is amazing. His Legend of Drizzt series is the reason for my existence sometimes. For some weighty SciFi, the Otherland series by Tad Williams is fantastic.

You can also stick with the classics - A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is one of my faves. If you get a modern English translation of The Canterbury Tales, they can be really funny.

Elizabeth Kostova is also AMAZING. Both The Historian and The Swan Thieves are great works. And if you have any intention of going to the movies to see "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close," read the book first. It's incredible. (The author is Jonathan Safran Foer.)
  • monaghme
    monaghme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Current Fiction: I also highly recommend The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I aso read the Hunger Games (young adult) Book 1 was ok but I wasn't thrilled, are Books 2 and 3 any better, I might read them...Book 1 wasn't bad just a bit dragged out in parts I thought

Light and fun I would recommend anything by David Sedaris, very funny essays (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroys, Hollidays on Ice, Barrel Fever, etc.)

Classic mystery: The Moonstone or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Other recommended fiction: She's Come Undone or This Much I Know is True both by Wally Lamb.

Memoirs: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls or Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Fantasy/Sci-i: His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass

Favorite young adult: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (great for all ages)

My all-time favorite and a very funny read: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Best book I've read in a long time: Stephen King's 11/22/63

Can you tell me with a straight face that it doesn't turn to s&*t at the end? Because I've read a TON of Stephen King, always loved them at first and always always always hated the end of his books.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and really loved it. Yes, it did start off slow, but I really liked the characters and learning more bout the ajapanese interment. Although I live in Canada and it was before my Tim, we experienced it here as well.

I belong to goodreads.com which is similar to Mfp except for book lovers. I'm challenging myself to read 100 books this year. If you decide to join, you can "friend me" Ceanne.
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
    The Historian
    The Time-Traveler's Wife
    Just finished The Night Circus and that was good as well.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Current Fiction: I also highly recommend The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns.

I aso read the Hunger Games (young adult) Book 1 was ok but I wasn't thrilled, are Books 2 and 3 any better, I might read them...Book 1 wasn't bad just a bit dragged out in parts I thought

Light and fun I would recommend anything by David Sedaris, very funny essays (Me Talk Pretty One Day, Dress Your Family in Corduroys, Hollidays on Ice, Barrel Fever, etc.)

Classic mystery: The Moonstone or The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Other recommended fiction: She's Come Undone or This Much I Know is True both by Wally Lamb.

Memoirs: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls or Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs.

Fantasy/Sci-i: His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman (Golden Compass, Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass

Favorite young adult: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (great for all ages)

My all-time favorite and a very funny read: A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

I know this much is true is my favorite book of ll time!
  • bshedwick
    Options
    Best book I've read in a long time: Stephen King's 11/22/63

Can you tell me with a straight face that it doesn't turn to s&*t at the end? Because I've read a TON of Stephen King, always loved them at first and always always always hated the end of his books.

I can tell you that I really really enjoyed the ending. Thought it was very good.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon
    The Historian
    The Time-Traveler's Wife
    Just finished The Night Circus and that was good as well.

Me too Outlander series!!
  • dibdobw
    dibdobw Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mich Albom writes really good books that make you think. He wrote "the Five People You Meet In Heave","Tuesdays with Morrie" and "For one More Day". Not long books but they all had an impact on me.

I love all Kathy Reichs books for a good bit of gore and suspense and Richard Montanari and Karen Slaughter.
  • Pete1471
    Pete1471 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like the "young adult" fantasy type books. If you're looking for a good series like Twilight or the Sookie Stackhouse books you would probably become obsessed with Vampire Academies. If I were a vampire, I'd want to be in those books.
    Thanks to everyone on here I'll be reading Hunger Games next on my Kindle!

Cool if you fancy discussing The Hunger Games give me a shout. I'm just about to start the first book in the next few days. :smile:
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I read the free apocalyptic books on the Kindle or Zombie novels while working out. Those really put emphasis on getting in shape! lol.

Vampires are not for me. Romance is not for me. Neither are self help or sad ones. I read constantly so I usually keep shopping in the free on my Kindle.
  • JoleneCooper
    JoleneCooper Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just finished Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and really loved it. Yes, it did start off slow, but I really liked the characters and learning more bout the ajapanese interment. Although I live in Canada and it was before my Tim, we experienced it here as well.

I belong to goodreads.com which is similar to Mfp except for book lovers. I'm challenging myself to read 100 books this year. If you decide to join, you can "friend me" Ceanne.

I just found goodreads.com RIGHT before this thread came up! LOVE it!
  • bshedwick
    Options
    +1 on Goodreads.com I've found some great books on there recently.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I read all of the sookie stack house books and I recommend listening to them on audio books. The narrator is phenomenal. I love to read and can offer tons of suggestions if you're interested message me.
  • monaghme
    monaghme Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And how could I have possibly forgotten....

the one I bought for my 15 year old daughter several months ago that she can't stop talking about......To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (the best or one of the best stories I've ever read)