Is anyone that needs to lose 30+ pounds NOT using pills or c

Options

Replies

• PSGPolly
    PSGPolly Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    So far I have lost 40kg and am just over half way. Exercise daily and count calories. It's a miracle for me as I have been trying unsuccessfully to lose weight all my life- was at my first Weight Watchers meeting age 9! Tried pills years back. It worked but within a year I was heavier than ever before. The secret this time- LOADS of support, encouragement and sound advice from trainers at a small local gym. Conventional wisdom says you cannot succeed unless you believe in yourself...well I never thought I would make it this far and still find it hard to believe it's a permanent change and I could not do this alone. But having someone believe in me has been life changing. I am more positive and generally happier than I can ever remember being....and I love exercising now. Emotionally things are pretty challenging at the moment but I have learned to turn to exercise for the endorphins instead of food. May this last for ever. :tongue:
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    No pills here! Just hard work, low carbs, protein, veggies and sticking to my daily calorie limit.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    This is all I hear! Go get scripts for this or do this crazy diet program, you'll lose quick!

Is anyone here trying to make a lifestyle change? Not a quick weight drop then go right back to your old weight a year later? Even weight loss procedures have been recommended! I feel like Im alone on this where I am from. Pills seem to be the main stream...

Anyone here doing this with good honest hard work and not relying on some gimmicks?

I'm with you...natural and long term all the way.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Kyle , its a tough thing to do. I signed on here to help me see what i do and where I need to improve. I have used all the diet pills etc in the past.. and of course this is a dead end road. So here I am working hard. Some days suck and some days are conquests. But non the less its a life style change. What I know best is that I feel so much better. But getting in a normal exercise routine is hard since I work alot of hours. I wish you the best on your journey and strength to stay fit and eat healthy.
  • Jeeenjohnson19
    Jeeenjohnson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    NO pills, NO crazy diets, just a healthy lifestyle change. 12months later, i'm 67pounds lighter. Defo the way to go! If I had done a crazy diet and lost it in half the time I would have been back to my old weight by now due to depriving myself.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    No pills here either. :drinker: Just a healthier lifestyle, and exercise, a lot of exercise! :happy: I eat everything I want, but with moderation, and I do log everything in my diary, even when I know I'll be over :blushing:
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds in 4 months without pills. I have maintained a strict 2100 calorie diet and added all kinds of activity into my life. Including training for a half marathon. I was 290. Not anymore. :)

Congrats on your weight lost! Great work!
  • MFR1974
    MFR1974 Posts: 92
    Options
    No pills, no fad diets. New me, new attitude towards food. I need to learn why I eat more than my body needs to be healthy and balanced. I am striving to eliminate as many chemicals and man made synthetics as I can. I am trying to decrease my unnecessary hormone/nitrate/preservative in general consumption. I do use protein shakes from a company I trust...just to make sure I'm getting the right vitamins etc to support my increased activity. I've lost over 70 lbs so far..and have not hit my ultimate goal. For me calorie deficit is not the way to loose. I need to eat to support my daily function. I am trying to increase muscle mass which will help my body burn fuel more efficiently. I also have been very conscious on making sure I get a lot of vegetables in my day..something I had almost eliminated before. Yes..the pounds are coming off slowly. Point is, I've lost 70+ lbs and I'm still loosing. This can be done differently than all of those bandwagon jumpers want us to believe. Anything worth achieving never came easily in my opinion. Will I keep this weight off? Yes, because I had to work really, really hard to get it off by making a mental and physical change that has been really difficult. Victory will taste so much sweeter because of it all!!! I wish you all the best in your journey. I hope you find success.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I want, but with moderation, and I do log everything in my diary, even when I know I'll be over :blushing:

Ditto. If my 5yr old feeds me a Quality Street, I log it, lol.
  • KevinPMajka
    Options
    All natural. Only take a multi-vitamin, Fish oil, and calcium. Logging 25+ miles a week running too. Down 98 pounds and happier than ever.
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    Kyle, I lost 121 pounds through exercise and learning how to eat properly.
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have tried pills in the past before using MFP. They did not work at all for me. I felt terrible.

In the beginning of MFP, I tried a low carb approach. I am not knocking low carb. It is a great plan for some people just not me. I had lots of sugar cravings and after losing about 7 pounds I came to a standstill for weeks. I knew this was not the diet for me. But at least, I learned how to like unsweetened tea and coffee. Before this I used lots of sugar.

I just needed to change my eating habits a little at a time. I knew of a diet plan that my cousin had gotten from a nutritionist. I started following those guidelines. I will be able to do this for long term. Yes I can eat carbs but in moderation. I can eat fried foods in moderation. No counting carbs or points or anything. Actually, I do not even have to log in anything. I am just doing that on my own. I have made lifestyle changes that I think are making me healthier.
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Straight up sweat and diet, its the only thing that gets the job done right!
  • lynne_p
    lynne_p Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm trying my best with healthy eating and exercise. I am not buying pills, nor am I supporting the "quick weight loss" books promoted by Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz. Funny that you don't see much mention of "The 17-Day Diet" anymore except for the remainder bin at Walmart.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I started MFP with a goal of losing 36 pounds. I'm not trying to take any shortcuts, just exercising more and watching my diet more closely.

So far it is working well.
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I've tried almost every diet pill out there and this time I've decided to do it the healthy right way! I'm all for doing it slowly and healthy and making a lifestyle change so the weight doesn't come back later on down the road!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I am looking to make a lifestyle change that is permanent and I do not like the idea of pills, surgery (at least for me), fad diets, or detoxes. Nope. Eat healthy and exercise. That is it. I may not always do it perfectly, but hey, it's a learning experience for the future.
    So you are definitely not alone! Feel free to friend me if you want more friends who are doing the right way. :D
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    I, too, am aiming for a permanent lifestyle change. Almost a year ago now I became a pescaterian, started to exercise ALOT more, cut out most processed foods (including SODA). Losing very slowly but have also been gaining muscle... lost 32 lbs this way, no diet fads or crazy programs. Am hoping to lose 25 more this way and continue eating healthy! ;)
  • Kaison02
    Options
    I actually read a book called "lets do lunch" It was a book that talked about changing the way you eat. While i dont follow it strictly I have taken alot of stuff from it. I have amazingly changed the way i eat.. And honestly i could not be hepper with the change.

I eat nothing but fruits in the morning, I eat as much as i want untill i am full. This is actually important, I usually am not hungry again till about 2pm.. Around 130 i start cooking my lunch. My lunch is high in protein. Usually consist of Eggs, Turkey bacon (low sodium) and a fish fillet or two.. for dinner I normally eat just frozen veggie. me following this plan I do not eat protein at night. It digests too slow.. after following this eating, I do not crave any sweets such as chocolates often. if i do i have a 100 calorie pack of dark chocolate that i use to satisfy it. I try not to eat out at all. If i do, I actually ask what is in stuff. I try for a very low sodium foods.. Fast food places really are your downfall. If i eat pizza, I do not order it out. I just get the tostinos pizzas they are low in calories and not really low in sodium but much much lower then pizzas you order out from. I don't drink anything but water or Tropicana 100% OJ.. but even the oj is rare on occasion..

I have eaten like this for about 20 days and lost 12lbs. Now i have not started to excersice.. Most of my excersice i have logged is from me walking stores for 30 to 40 mins randomly.

I hope this helps you alot. Now I am not telling you this will work for you but It has worked for me.

It also helps to log your food every day. This allows you to see what you need to make changes.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changer here! My husband is a type 2 diabetic so the change is a necessary part of life, but honestly a great one. We've cut out as much processed food as possible and still eat great (feel free to look at my diary if it is helpful). We do have a freebie meal every week where we indulge in our old ways, but honestly, the last one made us both nauseated. LOL. I work out 2-3 times a week with a trainer and do something exercise like every single day. I love this new life! I've been at it since October 2011 and have lost 30lbs (I started MFP partially into my journey).