water intake - relating to coffee, liquids, salt, etc

Options

Replies

• traceymonroe
    traceymonroe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Water is water...I work in healthcare. When I calculate IV fluids & feeding tubes, a portion of the ingredients as H2O, while other parts are of something else. For instance, soup. It certainly counts has a fluid, however you cannot count it towards water due to the fact that if you broke it down, there would be traces of whatever is mixed into the mixture (the solid). Same with soda...phosphates, sodium nitrates, etc. are all a solid form. Allow a soda or tea to sit in a glass for a month & you will see the residue in the glass. I think the message here is to flush our bodies with something that has no additional ingredients in which may cause bloating, etc. And yes, caffiene is a diuretic. Meaning that it absorbs fluids from our bowels, and other parts of our bodies which can increase risk for dehydration & could even increase risk of constipation for others. So, with that said I recommend only going by what it states: WATER. MFP has done an excellent job breaking down all the nutrients based on a persons size, age, ht, gender, etc. The ONLY thing that I recommend is that if your a smaller person you may only need about 1500ml to 1750 mls per day, whereas a larger person may require closer to 3000mls of fluids....a good portion of this should be from H2O mainly b/c it's better for your teeth, and flushing our bodies (bowels) to aid with transit of fecal defication. I could go into more details, however it would be over the head of the general public. So take my word: only count water as water- when the hospital is counting "fluids" it is for hydration purposes only. In dietetics we count water to aid with weight loss (flushing the system) in which cannot be done properly from drinking just anything. When I calculate a feeding tube, I have to a) make sure the body is receiving enough fluids for their needs & b) that they are getting enough WATER. The average tube feed has only .805 per 1000ml of H2O, basically a ratio of approx 800ml of water per 1000ml bag. I could break down & do the same with any beverage that contains additives...very scientific. I have recommended this site to many of my clients trying to loose weight, the only other thing I suggest is increasing the amount of fiber. I'm a smaller person, so the 17 grams of fiber per day that MFP recommends is way low. The recommended amount to protect againist colon cancer or diverticulosis (for instance). I feel that most individuals should get at the least 25 grams per day. Just remember, it is not so much about urination as it is defication. Yeah, any "fluid" will cause frequent urination. However, water aids the bowels so much more...as well has fiber & exercise. It all works in sync together.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    and some people use what they think are facts to try and attack other people. Why can't we all be nice. Let's sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya
  • CoderGal
    Options
    RodrickF: How do you feel since you switched to tea?
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    and some people use what they think are facts to try and attack other people. Why can't we all be nice. Let's sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya

I dont attack anyone, i just present evidence to back up what i say. Why don't the people who say coffee dehydrates do the same, rather than just saying the much-touted myth with no actual backup?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have had about 2 pots of coffee in less than 24 hours. YAY college -.-

I didn't log it, but still had some plain water for something cold. I'm plenty hydrated. And sleepy xD
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Water is water...I work in healthcare. When I calculate IV fluids & feeding tubes, a portion of the ingredients as H2O, while other parts are of something else. For instance, soup. It certainly counts has a fluid, however you cannot count it towards water due to the fact that if you broke it down, there would be traces of whatever is mixed into the mixture (the solid). Same with soda...phosphates, sodium nitrates, etc. are all a solid form...

Thank you tracey, you said exactly what I meant to say but didn't know how to get out in the beginning of your message. I was waiting for someone with some background in something.
    Options

I dont attack anyone, i just present evidence to back up what i say. Why don't the people who say coffee dehydrates do the same, rather than just saying the much-touted myth with no actual backup?

I agree with this ^^

He makes people think. Challenging others to use their brain and think about what they are saying before they spout off more myths. "attacking" is not happening at all.
    Options
    Water is water...I work in healthcare. When I calculate IV fluids & feeding tubes, a portion of the ingredients as H2O, while other parts are of something else. For instance, soup. It certainly counts has a fluid, however you cannot count it towards water due to the fact that if you broke it down, there would be traces of whatever is mixed into the mixture (the solid). Same with soda...phosphates, sodium nitrates, etc. are all a solid form...

So if I put a carrot in my water then it is no longer water? I don't get it :P

Just because it was mixed does not take away from the fact there is still water in it. I learned in one of first nutrition courses that you get plenty of water from foods too.
  • JenS826
    JenS826 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all this information!
  • CoderGal
    Options

I didn't log it, but still had some plain water for something cold. I'm plenty hydrated. And sleepy xD

I was half interested in this thread because I was drinking up to about 4 cups a day and then I stopped and started having a coffee once every few days. Anyway, what prompted the message is that I've been half experimenting and drinking what I consider to be to much water. Anyway, I gotta say I feel absolutely great, and alert! I had one cup of coffee earlier today. It may also have something to do with my diet, I'm not sure.
  • carleyfunk
    carleyfunk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water. I really only drink water, non fat milk and some unsweetened ice tea. But I only count water as water. I feel like it's cheating if I would add anything else. It says drink 8 glasses of water. Not tea, soda, soup, juice ect...
  • MrsLawsonNavyBrat2B
    Options

Thank you tracey, you said exactly what I meant to say but didn't know how to get out in the beginning of your message. I was waiting for someone with some background in something.

YAY for nurses (well, you sound like a nurse or dr)! THANK YOU for sharing some knowledge <3:flowerforyou:
    Options

I was half interested in this thread because I was drinking up to about 4 cups a day and then I stopped and started having a coffee once every few days. Anyway, what prompted the message is that I've been half experimenting and drinking what I consider to be to much water. Anyway, I gotta say I feel absolutely great, and alert! I had one cup of coffee earlier today. It may also have something to do with my diet, I'm not sure.

How much water are you drinking now? You feel better without the coffee?

I'm a little addicted. Love me some coffee :D keeps me warm and alert. Love the black sludge xD
  • RodrickF
    RodrickF Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Terri_May - I feel wonderful! The biggest deal is that I've lost what I thought was a permanent situation of acid reflux since I switched to weeks ago. This is a big deal to me as I'm a nuts for spicy foods, and I really pushed the limits lately there, but still no need for the Pepcid!

Other then that though, perfectly normal. I made the switch because I've read that research has proven that green tea does help people lose weight.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water. I really only drink water, non fat milk and some unsweetened ice tea. But I only count water as water. I feel like it's cheating if I would add anything else. It says drink 8 glasses of water. Not tea, soda, soup, juice ect...

Or you could actually research it for yourself, and realise it only says water to make it simple for people to understand. See my earlier "press any key" post.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    YAY for nurses (well, you sound like a nurse or dr)! THANK YOU for sharing some knowledge <3:flowerforyou:
    Actually I develop sophisticated navigational software, I guess that's kind of the same. You listen to sick people, I listen to sailors with a sick mind ;)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    How much water are you drinking now? You feel better without the coffee?

I'm a little addicted. Love me some coffee :D keeps me warm and alert. Love the black sludge xD

Recently about 10 glasses a day to experiment. I've been finding that if I have more then that, I start loosing my concentration, and if I just have what I feel like having, I feel tired (which is kind of explained in one of the links in this thread).

I'm still drinking coffee off and on, but at most I'll have a small coffee and I can't drink the full thing anymore (it gets cold). I use to hate it. I remember the first time I contemplated buying one at tim hortons I finally got to the cash and this wide eyed over caffeinated man asked if I wanted coffee with my meal and I immediately replied no lol.

I feel significantly, noticeably better and more alert without as much coffee.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water. I don't understand why people log their other liquids as water...If it said "Fluid Intake" then okay, but since it doesn't...
    Also, when I have a lot of sodium in a day I always drink a bunch of extra water to flush out the excess.

Exactly...if they wan't you to log fluid intake, they would call it fluid intake. Geesh!
  • traceymonroe
    traceymonroe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Exactly, it needs to be just water. And if you add anything that when such as carrot it now contains a "solid" substance. The whole idea is to drink water in it's natural form mainly b/c it will aids the bowels, on top of other things. I know it's difficult for some b/c not everyone cares for water...drinking it ice cold helps. I've had others who drink plain hot water instead. Either way about it it's 8 cups. That is not very much to say the least. So just add a cup of water with any other additional drink at every meal, then drink water between meals. Before you drink your coffee in the morning, gulp down a cup of water 1st. It is a wonderful thing you can do for your body! I would advise againist counting other fluids as water b/c it just is simply not the same.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Terri_May - I feel wonderful! The biggest deal is that I've lost what I thought was a permanent situation of acid reflux since I switched to weeks ago. This is a big deal to me as I'm a nuts for spicy foods, and I really pushed the limits lately there, but still no need for the Pepcid!

Other then that though, perfectly normal. I made the switch because I've read that research has proven that green tea does help people lose weight.

See! That's the kind of replies I was hoping for. That's great, I also absolutely love spicy foods. I've been contemplating cutting it out for good, but it's a habit. To get a break some people grab a smoke, I grab a coffee.

Have you found a difference in weight loss? I knew a few girls who swore by the one a day vitamin pills with green tea in them (weight smart I believe it's called). I found that when I really grilled people who've lost weight using them, it's been around the same time they've changed their diet and started exercising so you can't really tell.