Why Batman is not a super hero

Options

Replies

• chelleymarie88
    Options
    Can the rest of you join me in guilting Chelley into starting the Comic Book Group?

I don't like talking nerd where everyone else can see. :glasses: :embarassed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2820-comics-n-things

LOL fine >:O
  • Skinnyminiee
    Options
    Just adding a little thought. Even though technically, according to the strict definition, a superhero should possess superhuman powers I think this quote from the novel 'Jasper Jones' makes a pretty good point about Batman.

"See, Batman is different. He’s mortal. He’s got a real life to risk. Superman just has to avoid Kryptonite. Big deal. Superman fears nothing because outside a few very specific circumstances where he might encounter some stupid rock, nothing can possibly do him in. Batman has the same vulnerabilities as the rest of us, so he has the same fears as us. That’s why he is the most courageous: because he can put those aside and fight on regardless. My point is this: the more you have to lose, the braver you are for standing up. That’s why Batman is superior to Superman."

Also, is the Green Lantern also not a superhero because he has no powers without his ring?
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Just adding a little thought. Even though technically, according to the strict definition, a superhero should possess superhuman powers I think this quote from the novel 'Jasper Jones' makes a pretty good point about Batman.

"See, Batman is different. He’s mortal. He’s got a real life to risk. Superman just has to avoid Kryptonite. Big deal. Superman fears nothing because outside a few very specific circumstances where he might encounter some stupid rock, nothing can possibly do him in. Batman has the same vulnerabilities as the rest of us, so he has the same fears as us. That’s why he is the most courageous: because he can put those aside and fight on regardless. My point is this: the more you have to lose, the braver you are for standing up. That’s why Batman is superior to Superman."

Also, is the Green Lantern also not a superhero because he has no powers without his ring?

That is a nice quote. I am not arguing that Batman couldn't take down Superman; I said that he could (I even said Superman admitted Batman would take him down). However, that does not make Batman a super hero. It just makes him badass. Which Green Lantern are you referring to? I don't recall any of them being heroes. Now that Hal Jordan is Parallax, he is a super villain.
  • sr823204
    sr823204 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Also DC says Bats is a super hero.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman

"Batman is the superhero protector of Gotham City, a man dressed like a bat who fights against evil and strikes terror into the hearts of criminals everywhere."

and the rubber nipples thing, making all other arguments invalid.

Wiki is not reliable. I can add that Batman loves fish sticks.
  • Indy_Mario
    Options
    I love Marvel comics: Deadpool, X-Men, Iron Man, etc.
    Now there's a bad motherf-er
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Iron man, now there's a super hero

He is my FAVORITE!
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I love Marvel comics: Deadpool, X-Men, Iron Man, etc.
    Now there's a bad motherf-er

Agreed. Deadpool makes me laugh constantly.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    Is he a hero? Yes. Is he a super hero? No. Yes, Batman is one of the most popular heroes of all time; however, as nerdy as I sound right now, it kind of irks me when I hear that he is a superhero. He doesn't have any super powers, nor any super human strength. He learned all of his fighting from martial arts masters. He has a utility belt and bajillions of dollars to support his bipolar"vigilante/heroic" ways.

yep, and this is precisely why Batman is the most badass of them all.
  • tenax
    tenax Posts: 97
    Options
    By the true definition he is not a Superhero...really he is just a vigilante. That being said, in a lot of people's eyes he is the true superhero because even without super powers he saves the day! LOL

what she said..and give batman some props..he has to take on some of the same bad guys as super heroes, without superpowers to save his butt!
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I just held my own in a battle of whether or not Batman is a super hero or not......

Am I considered a super hero now? :o

Well hmm...do you have any gadgets? Maybe bend steel or something?

Haven't you been paying attention? Gadgets alone do not a superhero make!
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Is he a hero? Yes. Is he a super hero? No. Yes, Batman is one of the most popular heroes of all time; however, as nerdy as I sound right now, it kind of irks me when I hear that he is a superhero. He doesn't have any super powers, nor any super human strength. He learned all of his fighting from martial arts masters. He has a utility belt and bajillions of dollars to support his bipolar"vigilante/heroic" ways.

I agree that he is badass :) Not arguing that. Just saying he shouldn't be labeled a SUPERhero. :)
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    By the true definition he is not a Superhero...really he is just a vigilante. That being said, in a lot of people's eyes he is the true superhero because even without super powers he saves the day! LOL

what she said..and give batman some props..he has to take on some of the same bad guys as super heroes, without superpowers to save his butt!

I do not knock him as a character and I think he has amazing martial arts talents. However, he doesn't meet the criteria to be labeled as a super hero, because he possesses nothing "super"
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like you need super "powers" to be a superhero though. :wink:

That's where a lot of people are wrong. Superheroes are super human... Indicating they are more "superior" than human. He is a hero, yes. Tony Stark is the "Batman" of Marvel and even HE has something "super" about him. His chest reactor keeps him alive, and so does his armor.

I'm torn on the Tony Stark argument... His chest reactor keeps him alive, yes, but does that equal SuperHero? If I have a pacemaker, am I a superhero??

But I like your thinking....

Edit: apologies if this was discussed. I only made it a couple of pages... damn work.
    Does your pacemaker shoot laser beams and uni-beams? No. :O

By that argument it's a gadget like one Wayne Enterprises could craft... not a part of him. Not to mention, he would die without it.

I'm torn, but I'm leaning towards Hero, not Superhero for Tony Stark based on your initial post...

"Could". When he does, I will call him a superhero, lol.

This is Way late, but I'm laughing my butt off;-) well played!
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I just held my own in a battle of whether or not Batman is a super hero or not......

Am I considered a super hero now? :o

Well hmm...do you have any gadgets? Maybe bend steel or something?

Haven't you been paying attention? Gadgets alone do not a superhero make!

LOL this ^
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Hot women discussing comic book super (and non super) heros. Times sure have changed.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    the punisher is a bad *kitten* non super hero
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    the punisher is a bad *kitten* non super hero

Indeed. He is probably my favorite vigilante. Love Frank Castle & his comics make for a very good read.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, Batman is BAD *kitten*. He is the only one who could ever take down Superman- even Superman said it himself.

You do know these people are make believe right ? But thanks for pointing out the scientific definition of a superhero, I think we've all learnt something vital

On that premise then, as Elephants don't usually fly - is Dumbo a superhero? Not much of a crime fighting record to date, but he must be a middle aged Bull by now, so guess that would put a bit of a dent on your super villianary if he thundered out of the sky and shat on you

iztkr

:tongue:

I just saw this. I hate you. >:O
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options

That is a nice quote. I am not arguing that Batman couldn't take down Superman; I said that he could (I even said Superman admitted Batman would take him down). However, that does not make Batman a super hero. It just makes him badass. Which Green Lantern are you referring to? I don't recall any of them being heroes. Now that Hal Jordan is Parallax, he is a super villain.

Hal Jordan is not Parallax. Parallax is the living embodiment of fear that merely uses living beings as a host.
    Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner <Green Lantern> and Barry Allen <Flash #2> have been its hosts. The entity once lived inside of the Green Lantern battery, which is why their powers did not work against the color spectrum yellow because, Parallax, is a yellow fear entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_(comics)
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/File:Parallax_(Barry_Allen)_001.jpg
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Parallax
    http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Parallax_(New_Earth)
  • Shutterpillar
    Options

I agree that he is badass :) Not arguing that. Just saying he shouldn't be labeled a SUPERhero. :)

oh I agree completely. One of the reasons I love him so much is because he doesnt have any super powers. just fighting skills and spiffy gadgets. the next reason being because I relate with his character on many different levels. hes always been my favorite.