It is not good idea to count calories in vegetables!!

Options

Replies

• valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I can see the logic in this
    The body burns calories digesting and extracting the energy from food, leaving vegetables relatively low in calories. Celery being (sometimes) 0 calories after digesting.

Myth.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    A bannana is 102 calories!!! :=( I keep track.......

Banana's are my favorite vegetable.

And "aranges" are my favourite fruit beginning with "a".
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and try to eat raw as much as possible. Yesterday 800 of my 1200 calories were vegetables or fruits. It would be a mistake for me to not count those calories. But I guess if someone is just sprinkling some lettuce or cilantro on something in small amounts then it's no big deal.....
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    potatos ARE a vegetable. Just because it's not a super healthy vegetable, doesn't mean it's not one. You can't pick and choose what are and aren't vegetables.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    carrots and lettuce and peppers might not have alot of calories, but starchy veggies sure do. Beans and potatos and corn are loaded with calories. I count them all.

Beans?

Technically beans are fruit.
    Culinarily they are a veggie.

Same goes for bananas....They are a veggie but we all refer to them as a fruit.

Everyone knows when she is saying vegetables she is talking about the "culinary" veggies. Jeesh
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    so does that mean I can eat all the potatos I want and still lose weight? yay!!!!!! *throws french fries in air like confetti*

potatos ARE a vegetable...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    so does that mean I can eat all the potatos I want and still lose weight? yay!!!!!! *throws french fries in air like confetti*

potatos ARE a vegetable...

Isn't pizza also considered a vegetable?
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    no its not.

I never said zero calories, i said negative which means they take more to digest than there content which is a fact

I know what a negative calorie is, but a calorie is a calorie & it still counts.
    If you eat a strawberry at 5 calories & you burn that with 10 calories, then it should be a zero calorie food right? Well it's not.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/negative-calories-myth-explained-b349703

i never said it didnt count.

I said it will take more calories to burn then its content, thats all.

I never said not to count it.

In the same statement i said a calorie is a calorie

You are making no sense! I know what you said because surprisingly I *can* read.
    I never said you said they contained zero calories but with the "negative calorie" logic, they might aswell be zero calorie foods.
    I never said that you said they didn't count...
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I weigh & count everything :happy: :happy:
  • judgejava
    Options
    no its not.

I never said zero calories, i said negative which means they take more to digest than there content which is a fact

I know what a negative calorie is, but a calorie is a calorie & it still counts.
    If you eat a strawberry at 5 calories & you burn that with 10 calories, then it should be a zero calorie food right? Well it's not.

You are making no sense! I know what you said because surprisingly I *can* read.
    I never said you said they contained zero calories but with the "negative calorie" logic, they might aswell be zero calorie foods.

your right, im wrong.

It doesnt burn calories digesting food or it only burns a lesser amount than its content.

I dont argue with women ;-)

Peace
  • ramsesmeza
    Options
    Not counting vegetables is like not counting french fries, because they're vegetables, right?
    Dear friend, I even count the pepper i put on my salad. Don't make that mistake of "this are just 4 calories, I won't put it on"
    WORST. IDEA. EVER.

Good luck
  • MichaelaaJ
    MichaelaaJ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good for you for finding what works for you! You know/are learning about you and your body.. and you'll know when/if you need to switch it up. :flowerforyou:

For me this is not a good train of thought, and I need to count EVERYTHING...
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    no its not.

your right, im wrong.

It doesnt burn calories digesting food or it only burns a lesser amount than its content.

I dont argue with women ;-)

Peace

Wow, sexism..aren't you just lovely.

Also, I know that it takes more to burn the food than the food contains, but the whole negative calorie thing is a myth.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... is red a fruit or a vegetable??

Can someone point me in the direction of that 'nerdy girls with glasses' post? Please. :bigsmile:
  • morgthom75
    morgthom75 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    rule of thumb.. "in your mouth .. on your log "

That's what she said.
  • judgejava
    Options

Wow, sexism..aren't you just lovely.

Also, I know that it takes more to burn the food than the food contains, but the whole negative calorie thing is a myth.

That was all i said, they are referred to as negative calorie foods, i never said i agreed with the misnomer.

I just said some foods contain a caloric content that is less than the energy required to digest them.

Its all i said 3 times
  • anchorageb2
    anchorageb2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OH MY so many people brainwashed to think calories actually matter. Someone do a research on bacteria, enzymes ,and stomach acids and you will find out that calories mean absolutely squat! The stuff we log is no where near accurate anyways. Just how things are packaged, shipped, cooked or grown change every single one of them.

You should log the vegetables though just to stay in habit of keeping track of what you ate. This way you can see why you were not hungry some days and then hungry others. You will also be able to see if you had allergic reactions or some other kind reaction after eating certain foods as well. Most body bloat is from eating foods your body is reacting to.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    A bannana is 102 calories!!! :=( I keep track.......

Banana's are my favorite vegetable.

lol....
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    When you still have a lot of weight to lose, it may not matter so much if you choose not to log your veg calories, but as you get closer to your goal you may possibly find that you need more accuracy in your logging as there is less room for error the closer you get to your goal.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    trolling.jpg