It is not good idea to count calories in vegetables!!

Options

Replies

• hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan that's essentially all I eat. I've been chubby my whole life! lol

Calories in calories out regardless where they came from <3

=]

I think I'd vomit before I reached 3,000 calories of only veggies.

^^^ this

I am a vegetarian and often get told, "I didn't know there were fat vegetarians".

Everything adds up, no matter what shape its in.

I blame mine one the pasta and pizza :) I'm veg too.
  • JoyfulMomm
    Options
    I agree. The amount of calories in vegetables is negligible. The appetite suppressing effect of being full is a worthwhile tradeoff for the few calories you are consuming. If counting them keeps you from eating them, then stop counting them. If it doesn't, don't. Either way, they provide you with a calorie-cheap way to get full and stay that way, resulting in fewer calories consumed overall.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I just want to say this:

Banana is a fruit... I don't care what they heck Google or Wikipedia says!

Beans Make you fart...but they are good for the heart!

Some of you are WAY TOOOOO SERIOUS about this. It's Freaking Friday!

this times 1 million!
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Considering non-veggie food (anything w/ a nutrition label) can have calories underestimated by 20% without the FDA causing a stink, I prefer to count veggies.

http://nutritionovereasy.com/2011/04/can-you-trust-the-nutrition-facts/
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I just want to say this:

Banana is a fruit... I don't care what they heck Google or Wikipedia says!

Beans Make you fart...but they are good for the heart!

Some of you are WAY TOOOOO SERIOUS about this. It's Freaking Friday!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have yet to meet someone that eats vegetables and/or fruits in excess.... and I have yet to meet someone that is fat because they "eat too many vegetables and/or fruits" thats just funny
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Oh good, so I can eat all the veggie chips I want! Oh, and corn, which has 100 calories a cob, but they're *invisible* calories. Yay for invisible vegetable calories!!

Some people just shouldn't post advice ever.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Actually, bananas are technically an herb and we all know herbs and spices are zero calories. :wink:

Seriously? Bananas are *loaded* with sugar. And the only "zero calorie" thing you have? Water. Just saying.

What's it like going through life without a sense of humor? Does it hurt?
  • Healthy_Hannah483
    Healthy_Hannah483 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    COUNT ALL THE CALORIES! :drinker:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple hundred calories in vegetables. If I maxed out my calories in other things then didn't count my veg, I'd be going over by a couple of hundred calories every day. I'd never get anywhere doing that. I count everything. But anybody else can do whatever they want. :drinker:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Oh good, so I can eat all the veggie chips I want! Oh, and corn, which has 100 calories a cob, but they're *invisible* calories. Yay for invisible vegetable calories!!

Some people just shouldn't post advice ever.

What about veggie straws?! THOSE are the best veggies EVER!
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Well that may be but on a menu in a restaurant they are listed under veggies. When little kids wont eat their veggies, many times they are refering to green beans or peas. When I order a sandwich at Jasons and opt for the fruit cup they never bring me a side of beans. By the book they may be a legume, or a fruit, or for some people they may be considered a protein. But for most of us in the every day, day in and day out world we live in here in the U.S. we consider beans and peas a vegetable.
  • rachs02
    rachs02 Posts: 47
    Options
    I can understand that calories are calories and you should add everything but my sister is on WW and all veggies and fruits are 0 points and I know the WW program works!!!!!!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I can understand that calories are calories and you should add everything but my sister is on WW and all veggies and fruits are 0 points and I know the WW program works!!!!!!

points don't equal calories.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

I may be mistaken, but even WW recommends that you don't eat too many fruit and vegetable servings because it may stall your weight loss.
    Actually, I'm not mistaken, I distinctly remember reading that on their site.
  • maidentl
    Options

That's because they guesstimate how many calories the average person will get from fruits and veggies and lowball your points accordingly. Should someone eat just the points and no fruits and veggies, they'd probably be hungry.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    Just joining the conversation to be kind of a troll.

Bananas are fruits, not veggies. They grow from a plant that is a flowering herb. Female flowers may turn into fruits (bananas). Original wild bananas had big hard seeds but as we cultivate them to eat them raw we have selected for those with the tiniest seeds.

And yeah, I'm a vegetarian. And I'm kinda fat. I can eat a whole bag of mixed veggies in a sitting (300 calories the brand I buy).

But I admit I am sometimes too lazy to log that one lonely leaf of green lettuce I added to my sandwich.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    That's great if it's working for you. I however have been surprised how much veggies do add up in calories. Having said that there are times when I grab some carrots or other veggies and don't bother to count them. But when I have a big plate of stir fry or big salad with the kitchen sink of veggies in it I do count it.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You can get FAT from eating ANYTHING in excess.

^^^ Yep.
  • maidentl
    Options

I may be mistaken, but even WW recommends that you don't eat too many fruit and vegetable servings because it may stall your weight loss.
    Actually, I'm not mistaken, I distinctly remember reading that on their site.

I was on WW when they changed it to the new system and there were so many people crying on the boards because they'd literally added like 10 pieces of fruit per day and didn't understand why they had stopped losing weight.