Why Batman is not a super hero

Options

Replies

• 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Good thread to read. I am regularly correcting people who, admittedly, probably don't care and want me to shut up and/or go away.

Fact is that Batman and Ironman are just very rich, very fit and very techy people with a sense of justice. Superheroes are, by definition, supernatural through radiation, experimentation, genetic deformity or extraterrestrial origin.
  • arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bruce Wayne was a normal human until the night his parents were shot. Then something changed in him, making him "different" from normal people.

His "Super Power" is that he has the nuts to stand up to evil. It didn't come from: radiation, experimentation, genetic deformity or extraterrestrial origin, but it is there.

Go outside and attempt to stop a crime, and then tell me that's not a special power.

Arny
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well, if you want to get your geek on..

Iron Man would fall into the same category as Batman - Just a guy with money.
    Also, what about the green lanterns - they don't have super powers, they just possess alien technology.

Iron Man is a superhero. As previously mentioned, he survives on a chest reactor (or his uni-beam lol). Yes, he was born into riches, but what keeps him alive makes him "super".
    Green Lanterns can suck it. >:O

Just cos he's got a fancy pacemaker doesn't make him super - I'd put him on the same level as Batman. His chest reactor is essentially just a battery that powers his suit (and keeps him alive)

But I agree - Batman isn't a superhero, at least not in the strictest sense, but the term has become diluted.

I think not being a superhero makes him cooler than genuine superheroes though - they rely on powers that no human possesses, he is just a human and yet matches up to genuine superheroes.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Well, if you want to get your geek on..

Iron Man would fall into the same category as Batman - Just a guy with money.
    Also, what about the green lanterns - they don't have super powers, they just possess alien technology.

Iron Man is a superhero. As previously mentioned, he survives on a chest reactor (or his uni-beam lol). Yes, he was born into riches, but what keeps him alive makes him "super".
    Green Lanterns can suck it. >:O

Just cos he's got a fancy pacemaker doesn't make him super - I'd put him on the same level as Batman. His chest reactor is essentially just a battery that powers his suit (and keeps him alive)

But I agree - Batman isn't a superhero, at least not in the strictest sense, but the term has become diluted.

I think not being a superhero makes him cooler than genuine superheroes though - they rely on powers that no human possesses, he is just a human and yet matches up to genuine superheroes.

I can respect this. Iron Man is still a superhero, especially after is extremis armor issues- he qualifies.. Tony Stark is questionable, but do not knock the suit. It is definitely super.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Good thread to read. I am regularly correcting people who, admittedly, probably don't care and want me to shut up and/or go away.

Fact is that Batman and Ironman are just very rich, very fit and very techy people with a sense of justice. Superheroes are, by definition, supernatural through radiation, experimentation, genetic deformity or extraterrestrial origin.

Thanks for being one of the few who understand!! lol.
    Minus the Iron Man statement. :)
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I love the level of passion this thread has generated. Great to be passionate, no matter which side of the argument you take...I tend to agree with the original poster...but still like Batman...how could I not...I grew up watching the cheesy Batman series on tv..many years ago.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

I would also like to add that Batman wouldn't be considered superhuman in Marvel. Yes, Tony Stark is a LIVING MACHINE, that's why he is on it.

Last comment:

Black panther is considered a superhero, he has no superpowers, just near superpower like qualities. There are many others
  • chelleymarie88
    Options

I would also like to add that Batman wouldn't be considered superhuman in Marvel. Yes, Tony Stark is a LIVING MACHINE, that's why he is on it.

Last comment:

Black panther is considered a superhero, he has no superpowers, just near superpower like qualities. There are many others

I agree. Hawkeye falls in the category too. There are heroes and there are superheroes. Just a common misconception of the term "superhero".
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRURoXkp1nUm0wRym_PBhL_FZOkgwo40-A3YewIYJF2VSaHbgT1
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Bruce Wayne was a normal human until the night his parents were shot. Then something changed in him, making him "different" from normal people.

All I have to say to this is:

my_parents_are_deeaaaaaad.jpg
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

All I have to say to this is:

my_parents_are_deeaaaaaad.jpg

LOL!
  • kennethmayo
    Options
    I don't know if this has been discussed, but here is one explanation for Batman's Superhero status. In the early days of the batman comics he was referred to as "the world's greatest detective". Batman is not just about gadgets and martial arts. He has a superior intellect that sets him about from others. Its technically not a superpower but it does give him an edge over most of his opponents.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I got your super power right here my friends!

2eeewx0.gif
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I don't know if this has been discussed, but here is one explanation for Batman's Superhero status. In the early days of the batman comics he was referred to as "the world's greatest detective". Batman is not just about gadgets and martial arts. He has a superior intellect that sets him about from others. Its technically not a superpower but it does give him an edge over most of his opponents.

Yes it was mentioned; however, "best" does not equal superpower... he is amazing in regards.to his abilities, but not past maximum capabilities.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    xzibit-yo-dawg-i-heard-you-like-to-smile.jpg
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    While I agree batman is not a 'superhero' in the traditional sense, ie Spiderman, X-men etc, I think he OWNS superman. Namely because I'm not American, so for me, superman is just a little bit too....American idol cheese, whereas Batman is dark and cool.

Although, I am hoping Man of Steel will rectify this.
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    While I agree batman is not a 'superhero' in the traditional sense, ie Spiderman, X-men etc, I think he OWNS superman. Namely because I'm not American, so for me, superman is just a little bit too....American idol cheese, whereas Batman is dark and cool.

Who do you prefer, Captain Britain? par har har..

Yeah, he would and has destroy Superman. I am VERY excited to see Man of Steel... I have loved every single animated/real-time Superman movie.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Am playing "ARKHAM CITY" on my PS3 right now and Batman is rocking it! But agree, he's not a Superhero.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    Am playing "ARKHAM CITY" on my PS3 right now and Batman is rocking it! But agree, he's not a Superhero.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

One of the BEST games ever made, hands down!!!
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Who do you prefer, Captain Britain? par har har..

Yeah, he would and has destroy Superman. I am VERY excited to see Man of Steel... I have loved every single animated/real-time Superman movie.

U like SM RETURNS? I was disappointed--hopeful of MOS