Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    ........ that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

I LOVE this!! ROFL!
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    100% totally agree!! I haven't changed anything from my diet really since joining back in March. Just paying attention to portions and counting the calories with the exercise I was already doing has done the trick for me!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I would like to commend the OP.
    I am living proof that you CAN eat "normal" food. It is true that I don't have "junk food" very often anymore (and, due to my food allergies, most processed foods are off-limits, but you CAN find some delicious gluten free non-dairy fudge brownies if you try hard enough), and it's true that I eat a lot of very nutritious foods, but I shed the weight (and dropped my body fat from 56% to 23%) without eliminating treats or taking any drastic measures.
    I did it by doing three simple things:
    Eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions (and indulging cravings sensibly as well)
    Drinking lots of water
    Moving my body
    These are things that are maintainable for a lifetime.
  • Alex_on_the_Rocks
    Options
    I posted on facebook about practically the same thing yesterday:
    I was almost discouraged by my slow weight loss... then I stopped to think about it. Money is tight, our food stamps were cut (drastically, like down to a third of what we were getting), so we're eating pizza a lot because it's cheap (well, free most of the time because my fiance works at Domino's). I know that's a huge reason behind the slow loss. And then I REALLY stopped to think. Yes, I could DIET and cut out all of my favorite foods and lose weight rapidly, but I can guarantee that I would never stick to it for long, and would regain back what I lost (if not more) quicker than I lost it. OR I could do what I'm doing, make a lifestyle change, learn how to enjoy my favorite (and not always healthy foods) in moderation. The weight is going to come off slowly, there will be times when I make no progress at all, but it is something that I can stick with long term. This isn't just about losing weight. It's about being healthy and being a good role model for my children
  • ladywolfkahn
    Options
    Thank you! I really needed this post. My well meaning dr made out a meal plan for me for the month of Feb and I was sitting here looking at it and knowing I was going to starve because there are so many foods on it I do not like and are not passing these lips..no way no how. Seeing this post just confirmed what I was thinking to myself....I have managed to lose 10 pounds this month just by portion control and intruducing exercise into my life. Thank you for this. Hope you don't think I am weird but I printed it out and pinned on my wall of my office (afraid that when I really need to read the post again I wont be able to find it lol)
    So thank you :-)
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Agreed- thanks for posting this, it was due.
  • Mama2CnR
    Mama2CnR Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    for a while, I was seeing an abundance of "what's gonna happen to my boobs" threads. new batches daily, it seemed. but, lately, I'm seeing new folks coming in and asking if they can eat so-called 'normal' food. and, of course, soon thereafter they are informed by various members that, no, all of that food is terrible and they must stock their fridge with organic lettuce grown under the sunshine reflected off a tropical rainbow.

that really bothers me. people join this site, often, after years of failed attempts. many are frustrated ... discouraged. so much so that it probably wouldn't take much for them to just throw it in and give up. and you know what just might be that push? the organic rainbow lettuce brigade.

you know what, that food is certainly nutritious. no one is really going to argue that point. and is nutritious food better for your body than not-so-nutritious food? well, yeah. but here's the thing, ORLBs. that's an extreme change many -- if not most -- people can't make. and, yes, I said can't -- not won't. it isn't always as simple as just throwing away all the food you've got and restocking with fresh produce and tofu burgers. the first obstacle is cost. the second is ease/feasibility. and that's not even figuring in the fact that many -- if not most, again -- don't like to eat that food!

I get the concept that food is fuel. sometimes you have to eat things you may not like. but I'm not going to make it long by making that kind of food my only kind of food. that's no way to live, dreading your next meal. and most people won't. that's why diets fail. and that's why MFP works. because a calorie is a calorie.

Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food. I'll eat pizza. I'll eat chocolate. I eat pasta and bread and even, now and then, a cookie or some candy. I lost 3.5 pounds this past week. I've lost more than 17 pounds in less than two months. and it's because I'm learning to keep my food portions under control. I keep under my calorie limit. I plan ahead if I know I'm going to have a larger meal or a higher-calorie treat that day. and if it just happens without planning and I decide to take that treat? that means a longer stint at the gym to burn those extra calories off.

the ORLBs will now start sputtering, 'but that's not healthy!' and to that, I'd like to ask if being obese is healthy. I think ... no. so. let's move to basic food math:

eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = weight loss;
    weight loss = a healthier me;
    therefore, eating less of most the food I like, keeping calories under my limit = a healthier me.

shedding that extra weight automatically makes you healthier, no matter what it is you are eating. there's simply no way around that fact. now, that isn't to say that you shouldn't make smart decisions. that isn't to say that you shouldn't work to find 'healthy' foods that you like, working them into your daily life. but, like weight loss, that's a process. it doesn't need to happen overnight.

focus on what works. turn yourself into a better you. and do it in a way that will allow it to be a life change. and if, for you, that means 'normal' food? do it, and do it without any of the guilt you've been programmed or pressured to feel.

Agree 100%!! I've lost 40lbs so far since last August, no 'diet' necessary. The only thing I've given up is drinking soda. I stay active and I eat what I want in controlled portions... I've even been known to eat *gasp* McDonald's on occassion or even *double gasp* more than one slice of greasy, full fat pizza!!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, a lot of us are poor and can't afford to go to a whole foods store and buy everything. Processed foods are cheapest. Or I eat food on campus because I have a food plan,
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Indeed.

Me, I prefer the beer and pizza diet. As long as it's 'clean' beer and pizza ;)

that just means that you observed the 5 second rule, right?
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I like this thread because I get so sick of people asking me why I have so many cheat days (they see pizza, etc.) and they are not! I modified my eating a lot from what I was and I control my portions and balance it all out. It's worked for me and I can still enjoy foods I like! :) Good post :)
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.
  • TiffyC828
    TiffyC828 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! I have lost 60 lbs since April..The only thing I have changed in regards to my eating habits is I eat 1 serving instead of the entire dish! I will sometimes eat lean cuisine meals, smart ones, things like that too. While I know it isn't the BEST choice...it works for me!

I am a firm believer that it IS all about portion control! (of course, I have added excersise too) but in the beginning, just cutting down on my calorie intake, I was dropping weight :)

Now, I am going to go enjoy my snack for the night...crackers and some cheese!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Im currently sitting here with a bowl of rainbow sherbet. MMmmmM <3
    You can indeed allow in room for whatever you want!
  • countingitall
    countingitall Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I read the first part and laughed out loud, but I want to leave work :)
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Oh, thank goodness there are still some normal people left on this site....................thanks for posting for the newbies........they will certainly appreciate it!
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Get up and get that body moving, too!!!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    "Normal" appears to be processed, calorie-dense food according to the examples listed here. If your goal is to simply lose weight with no regard to performance, overall health, and body composition then by all means, keep eating "normally"

If your goal is visible abs, athletic performance-related, or a fitness competition you'll need to abide by that annoying saying because good abs truly are made in the kitchen. Unless you're genetically gifted you won't get ripped eating pizza for dinner (and if you can do that, I'm jealous). You get out of your body what you put in to it.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but there are many different ways of eating and many reasons for doing so. if you honestly, truly can't live without this magical food in your diet I'd take a good look and figure out why. Food is nourishment, oftentimes delicious, and it shouldn't be a source of struggle.

I know men on here that eat ice cream every single night and look incredible.
  • branflake6
    Options
    Great post!!! 2 thumbs up:)
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Yup, portion and the food itself what matters 80% if you are trying to lose weight.
    I am following my own diet :) basically eating healthy and workout. It works I lost 25lbs already and my goal is to lose another 20 at least :)

Check out my site and feel free to add me as friend if you like.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cooking-ideasHomemade-Healthy-Foods/179121125503371