What motivated you to begin your weighloss journey?

Options

Replies

• 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Honestly it was this site, I am an obsessive person (ocd), and this site made losing weight a great thing to "twik" on.

10039000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I was officially diagnosed as obese for the first time. Scary stuff.
  • mariekphillips21
    Options
    Just got too big for my britches :)
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get off prescription medications for high blood pressure and diabetes.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had been in a slump for quite a while always thinking "I really need to join a gym.. I really need to start working out again.. I really need to.. blah blah blah"... And then I started talking to guy friend of mine and everytime he said he was heading to the gym, I would always think "I really should do that," and one day I finally took action.

I drove past the gym at lunch and signed up that night as a Christmas present to myself (It was just before this past Christmas). Absolute best gift I could have ever given myself.

I've worked out 4 to 6 times a week every week since I joined, and have actually exceeded my trainer's expectations (he just thought I was a fat old lady... he's only 24... what does he know?).
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had a few:

Having to buy a size 32 gown for my wedding (and driving to another state to buy it!)

Having people ask me when I was due when I wasn't pregnant

Getting checked by sorors for "making them look bad"

Having to start medications for my high blood pressure

Breaking my back for the first of many public events at work and being relegated to the office to answer phones, i.e., missing the event (This was the most painful of all -- I still work there eight years later and I am trying to leave over subsequent weight issues)
  • 1noahalex
    Options
    Being told by my Dr. that I was border line diabetic. My mom and two of my brothers were diabetics when they passed away. I need to lose weight in order to be healthy.
  • swtmusic4u2
    Options
    For me, what initially started my weight loss journey, is my friend who just went into the Army. The Cavalry Scouts to be exact. Seeing him lose a lot of weight and finally doing something that he's always wanted to do all his life has really inspired me to start taking better care of myself. I mean, I was always overweight. All through my childhood up through high school. But, now that I am considered to be very obese (5'2", 274 lbs) I take a look back at my old prom picture and realize that "Damn! I looked good! I was really pretty and cute." So, between being inspired by my friend and looking at my old prom picture, I am ready! Ready to start looking good again and I want to be happier in life, too. :smile:
  • myltlisa24
    myltlisa24 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I went to my OB at the beginning of January, and saw that I had gained 30 lbs, since last may!! OMG!!!!!!! Hideous!!!:sad:
  • halpinj1
    halpinj1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I finally became happy with the person I am and I wanted the outside to reflect the inside. I was tired of being the biggest out of all my friends, of not being able to buy the clothes that I want. I started thinking about who I would like to one day marry (I'm only 21) and the man I picture is healthy, active, and- of course- handsome- and I figured, if I want those characteristics, ie: healthy, active in a boyfriend/husband, then I better live up to my own expectations. The first thing that triggered my journey to where I am now (content and happy with eating healthily, not drinking soda, etc, going to the gym every day) started when I saw a picture of myself next to some of my friends, all tiny and healthy, and being disgusted with what I saw. I couldn't make the change when I was angry with myself- I had to figure out why I was so overweight before I could make the changes to adopt a healthy lifestyle. 90% of it was all in my head. I'm nowhere near my goal, but I am getting closer every day and I feel better and better and better every day.
  • Ryantube
    Options
    I was in a play, and when we were sorting out costumes, we found that nothing would fit me. It was really embarrassing. So I decided that I was going to lose weight so that it could never happen again. My profile picture here is Lady Gaga, I use her to help keep myself motivated.
  • tanmustlose
    Options
    1. people in my family dying of preventable chronic disease
    2. tired of being the "biggest"
    3. i want to look down and see my feet instead of my stomach - this is strangely important to me
    4. i had an instructor tell me to exercise "for my heart" and that has stuck with me!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My sister was struggling with diabetes and I joined this site in May, 2011 to "help her". I too was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on June 14, 2011. I came home and ate everything in my refrigerator and then started this journey on MFP for real on June 15, 2011. (shoot, I missed the mango sorbet and had to give it to my neighborhood children). I began a low carb, low sugar and low sodium diet. I logged everything in faithfully and walked the hills in my neighborhood daily. 83 pounds off later and my doctor feels I will be off all medication by the end of next month. The potential health complications of diabetes motivates me and keep me from failing this plan like all others in the past. I feel healthy, I just joined a gym to push my exercise and muscle building to the next level and I have a goal of becoming an "athelete". I started this journey in fear and now I am on this journey for life, proud, motivated, and feeling pretty powerful. I reach my first goal by moving from morbidly obese to a healthy BMI. I now take this weight loss journey one meal at a time, one day at a time and so far this is working for me!
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor for an ear infection, got on the scale and found out that I had officially joined the 300 club. I couldn't handle it.
  • ready2smile
    ready2smile Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    thanks sooooo much EVERYONE!!!! for all your post, all you ladies and gentle men are awesome. very insperational!
    i can't belive how many people posted on my topic:smile: i appreciate all your post:happy: , this will help me push forward & i am sure it will help other people, everyone's stories are amazing anything is possible i wish you all good luck in your journey to happiness!!!
    :heart:
  • sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from! I am recently divorced myself (its been 8 months today actually). I was married for 8 years and packed on over 100 pounds during my marriage. Then he cheated on me and we got divorced and I saw what I had become and didn't like it at all! And like you I figured, Hey there goes 130 pounds out the door, how much more can I loose!? lol
  • crazybusymomma
    Options
    Have been the BIG girl my entire life. Lost 5-10 lbs to regain 15-20 over and over again. Got married at 16 had a baby a year later another baby 16 months after the first and a 3rd baby 15months after the 2nd one. Was in a controlling marriage with a jealous person who feared if I lost weight other guys would notice. So I just stayed fat and pretended to be happy. 2 yrs ago I ended the marriage. But turned to food as a new companion and hit an all time high of over 300lbs. In August of 2011 I had surgery and took longer to heal due to my size. I woke up one morning in late August and decided...it was time to take care of ME! I deserved to be healthy and happy..my kids deserved a healthy mom...and that day decided no more excuses,no more pitty parties it was time! Since August 28th I've dropped 81lbs. I have another 70lbs to go but I know I'll get there! And better than numbers lost on a scale..I have energy...I find myself starting to smile,I can play with my kids,I can walk up my stairs actually I can run up my stairs. Moving forward and refusing to look back!
  • shalinimunjal
    shalinimunjal Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have many reasons..don't know if there is a single thing/incident that motivated me to start. I always was thin growing up and well into my 20s. Had baby#1 at 27, baby#2 at 33. I'm 35 now.

Gained 25 lbs over the last 8 years.

My cousin died of brain hemorrhage due to BP at age 37 last summer.

Diabetes and Heart/BP issues run in my family

It was just time for me to make a change.
  • venlife
    venlife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am already half way through my life and I have not met my goal weight. I have yo-yo dieted for years. I want a life change that sticks. I want to learn how to eat right and sustain it for the rest of my life. I was taught got habits but it's easier to develop bad habits than good habits. Bad habits taste better, bad habits are easier to find, bad habits are easier to prepare and bad habits are cheaper. It's so easy to sit on the couch and watch TV or sit at the computer surfing the net. It take energy, motivation and time to put on your workout gear and go do it. How much longer am I gonna take? I don't want to have regrets when my health starts to deteriorate from bad eating habits (Diabetes runs in my family). Plus I want to look really hot in a cute outfit someday soon.
  • ready2smile
    ready2smile Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    :heart:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!