What counts as water?

Options

Replies

• Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I only count pure water as water, or green tea. :)
  • LBlake12
    Options
    I really think it depends why you're counting.
    I've tried to research this for a long time to understand how much I should try to drink in a day, but really haven't found a solid answer. One useful tip, though - if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
    Anyway, the general conclusion I've drawn is that I need to target getting between half and all of my weight in lbs as the # of oz of water I should get each day. ex.: If I weighed 128 lbs, then I should target 64 to 128 oz of water to keep hydrated. So, even though I definitely get some water from food, I don't bother to count that, and I only aim for half my weight in ounces. Then, I count water (which is mostly what I drink) as 100% water, milk as 90% water, coffee or tea (with caffeine and no milk or sugar) as 75%, and non-caloric carbonated drinks as 50% water (I figure that's conservative). And if anything has caloric content, I mainly just count those in my food (milk being the exception, but that's a lotta carbs).
    Just because caffeine is a diuretic, and coffee has caffeine in it, doesn't mean it's enough to outweigh all of its hydration benefits. Don't know if that's right, but seems to keep me pretty well hydrated.
    Oh, and juice just has so many calories and so much sugar, which counteracts hydration enough that it actually makes me MORE thirsty, so if I have juice, I only count it like food.
  • cathyallen
    Options
    my dad wasn't drinking much water but ALOT of unsweet tea. His dr. told him that his unsweet tea does NOT count as water. So I am thinking.......water is just that....WATER!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I count only water and decaf unsweetened herbal teas.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea with no milk or sugar, its caffeine free so I count that and if I have cordial in water too I count that. Don't know if I'm right or wrong?
  • wijac10
    Options
    I personally count water and green tea (nothing added to it, no sugar etc).. no coffee, juice or milk.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I only count plain water as water!!

But I think for those that can't drink plain water adding in a crystal light, Mio or some other low calorie flavoring works too!!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water, nothing else, there are times I may add some true lemon or orange, but if I add anything else it becomes "juice" to me.
  • mshortcake622
    mshortcake622 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends why you're counting.
    I've tried to research this for a long time to understand how much I should try to drink in a day, but really haven't found a solid answer. One useful tip, though - if you're thirsty, you're already dehydrated.
    Anyway, the general conclusion I've drawn is that I need to target getting between half and all of my weight in lbs as the # of oz of water I should get each day. ex.: If I weighed 128 lbs, then I should target 64 to 128 oz of water to keep hydrated. So, even though I definitely get some water from food, I don't bother to count that, and I only aim for half my weight in ounces. Then, I count water (which is mostly what I drink) as 100% water, milk as 90% water, coffee or tea (with caffeine and no milk or sugar) as 75%, and non-caloric carbonated drinks as 50% water (I figure that's conservative). And if anything has caloric content, I just count those in my food, and not water.
    Just because caffeine is a diuretic, and coffee has caffeine in it, doesn't mean it's enough to outweigh all of its hydration benefits. Don't know if that's right, but seems to keep me pretty well hydrated.

Very interesting, thanks! I never count water in food or any types of other drinks. I was just curious about the green tea and Crystal Light packets I use every day. My friend made it seem like since the water wasn't pure water, it wasn't as good because the body has to filter out the extra things added.

Thanks so much for all of the insight, everyone. :smile:
  • ravenone777
    ravenone777 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I count green tea and my fruit tea that only has 4 calories in it. Otherwise just straight water.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Water is water.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Water is the only count towards water intake for me.....You can however add lime to add a taste to it, and that should count as well.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    "If this site said "Drink 15 shots of vodka" would you do it? "

*kitten* YES!!!! And then I would have my 8 cups of water as well.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    all liquid (I wouldn't include alcohol) and the water you get through the foods you eat.

Even if you are drinking something that makes you pee you are still drinking something. Your body will do a perfectly good job of maintaining water balance if you let it.

If my body thinks I didn't get enough water I will wake up the next morning thirsty.

If you are thirsty you are all ready dehydrated.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Once you add things to water, then water becomes an ingredient in a different beverage...

Sure water may be the first ingredient. But if I ask for a glass of water at a resteraunt and the waitress brings me a Pepsi, she's not getting a tip.
  • sandhen
    Options
    Actually yes, chiropractors are real doctors.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I only count water and log the rest in food diary.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    One oxygen atom + 2 Hydrogen atoms in a covalent bond
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, chiropractors are real doctors.

You don't need a PhD to be a chiropractor. Some may have them, those would be Doctors, even if it's not medical. But for the most part, chiropractors are not doctors.
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    dehydrated_water.jpg
    Does this count?