Vegetarian group. Kick-off WEEK 1

Options

Replies

• Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cake in such a long time. I can't wait for the next bday that rolls around! :laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    What do you guys have planned for the weekend?
    My daughter has a ballet recital to practice for...and I have to finish the costume. My bro-in-law and his wife are coming up from Ft. Benning and we're having a cookout (thank God that they no longer tease me about being a veggie).
    I'm hoping to get in a 2 mile run tomorrow morning...before it becomes sweltering.
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Ugh, nothing. I have to work all weekend...and by that I mean double shifts saturday and sunday. No fun whatsoever. Today I only work in the evening, so at least I have the morning off to get my exercising in.

Have something yummy for me when you do your cookout! :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Ugh, nothing. I have to work all weekend...and by that I mean double shifts saturday and sunday. No fun whatsoever. Today I only work in the evening, so at least I have the morning off to get my exercising in.

Have something yummy for me when you do your cookout! :happy:

Will do...how does grilled asparagus and corn sound?
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    asparagus is one of my absolute all time favorite veggie! I'm jealous!!!! lol

speaking of food.... I found this recipe online and I think I'm going to try it. It sounds yummy.

Easy Mashed Potato and Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas :

* 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
    * 8 ounces whole button mushrooms
    * 3 small zucchini, chopped
    * 2 cups chopped carrots
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 3 cups water
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1/4 cup butter
    * 1 (7.6 ounce) package instant mashed potato flakes
    * 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas
    * 3 cups enchilada sauce
    * 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    2. In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in a single layer in a shallow baking dish. Roast vegetables in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes; stir halfway through their cooking time. When finished cooking, remove from the oven, and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    3. Bring water, milk, and butter to a boil in a large pot. Remove the pot from heat, and mix in the mashed potato flakes. Let stand two minutes, then stir the mashed potatoes with a fork until they are smooth. Stir in roasted vegetables.
    4. In a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat, quickly heat each tortilla on both sides to make pliable. Dip the tortillas in enchilada sauce. Put a large spoonful (approximately 1/4 to 1/3 cup) of potato-veggie mixture into the center of each tortilla. Top mixture with about 1 to 2 tablespoons cheese, and roll tortillas. Place seam-side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour extra sauce over top, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
    5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for approximately 20 to 30 minutes, or until the enchiladas are heated through.
  • Tryingtoshed50
    Options
    Goal weight loss in lbs - 50

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- No kids, but I want to have kids in the future either 1 or 10.

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - I've been a Vegetarian for going on three years now.

Age- 20
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    welcome to our vegetarian group!! :flowerforyou:
  • lisalocket24
    Options
    Weight loss goal - 15lbs

# of kids - 2 boys 8 & 2, 1 stepdaughter 14

2 weeks since i started being a vegetarian

Age - 30
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    welcome lisalocket! Nice to see you joined our group!
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Weight loss goal 5 lbs

I have a 16 month old son

Been vegetarian since Jan

I'm 24 and started diet and exercise after my son was born, however I have never been comfortable with my body. I've lost 35 lbs since I started on this website...yay! I started running VERY slowly about a year ago and now I actually enjoy it!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    bumping for our fellow veggie heads out there. :flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    just wanted to pop in and see how everyone was doing :smile: Glad to see some new ppl joined the group!

You guys can chit chat about absolutely anything on here or if you need any type of help/motivation we're def here for ya!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Hey Kid...how was your weekend? I did mostly yard work. My daughter had her last class of ballet for the season...now she has 2 dress rehersels and ther recital. I was able to get my two mile run in on Saturday...not so much yesterday. :grumble: But it happens...I'll just do an extra run tonight.
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm Laurel and I am sooo excited to have found my fellow veg-heads! I was starting to think I was the only one on here but luckily I was wrong!

Goal weight loss in lbs - 68lbs

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- None yet but we're thinking 2 or 3

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - I was vegan for a good portion of my life probably about 8 years but then fell of the wagon shall we say thanks to being surrounded by meat eaters. I just recently went veg again about a week ago and now have my b/f doing the same!

Age- 22

Anything else you want to share - I'm a hippie at heart and I love the earth and all she has given us. I'm currently in search of someone in MA that will help me put some dreads in....any takers?

:flowerforyou:
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options
    Wa-HEY!! I didn't know there was a veggie group! Awesome!!

I've been veggie for about 8 years and I'm veryveryvery pleased to meet you all! :happy:
  • emiliabeth
    emiliabeth Posts: 40
    Options
    Whoops! I forgot to answers the Q's

Goal weight loss in lbs - 20lbs total

# of Kids (or do you want kids)- None at the mo', maybe one day...

How long have you been a vegetarian or vegan? - 8 years

Age- 27

Anything else you want to share - I wish professional chefs in the UK would consider making main dishes around something other than Goat's Cheese. I mean, I love goat's cheese, but I'm just saying...
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Welcome jbj and eb! We have a great time on this thread. We share recipes, support, motivation...ect.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    I got sick over the weekend. Trying to find health insurance that's not ridiculously expensive...and let me tell you...it's a freakin hassle.

Way to go on running 2 miles! That's awesome.
  • Kidvicious28
    Options
    Hey emiliabeth and jambandjunkie! Welcome to our vegetarian group!!!:happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I got sick over the weekend. Trying to find health insurance that's not ridiculously expensive...and let me tell you...it's a freakin hassle.

Way to go on running 2 miles! That's awesome.

That sucks! You feeling any better?