My response to people that say humans HAVE to eat meat...

Options
No where does it say that humans have to eat meat. There are plenty of plant based foods that provide adequate protein. Many of the top killer cancers and diseases of Americans are caused by food and poor nutrition, overconsumption of animal based foods, and refined sugars that cause high cholesterol and high blood sugar. 40% of Americans are overweight, and cost the U.S. billions of dollars in health care due to treatments and surgeries for otherwise mostly preventable causes (Diabetes, heart disease, prostate/breast cancer, etc.) Eastern cultures in which diets are mostly plant based, have little to almost bar none death rates of cancer and disease compared to Western civilizations in which meat/dairy consumption is part of an everyday diet. Not saying nobody should ever eat meat or dairy again, but we should be more aware of what we are putting into are bodies and cutting back on what is killing us. It has been tested and proven that we can prevent and even reverse most illnesses with diet oppose to prescription medications. (FYI to everyone) Many vegans and vegetarians have far few health problems than people who "have" to eat meat. Many who make the switch are smart enough to provide their bodies with the necessary vitamins and nutrition to live a healthy life. Many Americans have no idea how to sacrifice, even if it means for their health in the long run. It is sad we live in a world where our temporary satisfaction we get with the foods that "comfort" us, trump that of our lifelong health. We don't know any better anymore. We are raised with greed and overconsumption and most of us will never now what it is like to starve and struggle. Chew on that!

I am not looking for a heated debate, just opinions, and I love to hear what people from other countries have to say about this American argument. Thank you.

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    If you're not looking for a heated debate, you probably shouldn't have started this thread. People don't respond well to being preached at- especially when you are preaching nonsense.

You make assumptions that are simply incorrect or that have not been proven conclusively. The evidence that animal protein causes cancer is weak. And refined sugars do not cause high cholesterol. Nor do they cause diabetes, heart disease, prostate/breast cancer, etc...

Furthermore, your claim that we can prevent and reverse most illnesses with diet is absolute bull ****. The "tested and proven" part of your statement is a fantasy- yours.

Certainly, the typical American eats a rather unhealthy diet, and obesity is rampant in the US in many developed countries. And yes, some metabolic disorders can be reversed by diet. And no one will ever deny that veggies are good for you and that you should eat them. The vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and so forth are wonderful for your health and can help prevent an array of illnesses, including cancer (note that I said 'prevent', not 'reverse'). But they are not a guarantee of health. You can certainly be obese while vegetarian... and you can develop cancer while vegetarian. And, sadly... cancer CANNOT be reversed by diet. I really suggest you don't try or you'll end up in the morgue. I can think of half a dozen other disease that also cannot be reversed by diet... but I'll stop there.

And it's foolish to think you cannot be healthy while consuming meat. Humanity has been omnivores for a very long time. And we're incredibly adaptable (go us!!). We can survive and be healthy on a variety of diets... including mostly meat if we have to or choose to. I'm generally anti-low-carb, but I recognize that it is a viable and healthy strategy for some.

I choose to eat meat because I enjoy it, because it provides a complete array of essential amino acids, and is a great source of many vitamin Bs. I do try to eat responsibly raised beef/chicken/pork when my budget allows, but I do not in anyway feel guilty about ending the life of an animal to provide me with food.
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    If you're not looking for a heated debate, you probably shouldn't have started this thread. People don't respond well to being preached at- especially when you are preaching nonsense.

You make assumptions that are simply incorrect or that have not been proven conclusively. The evidence that animal protein causes cancer is weak. And refined sugars do not cause high cholesterol. Nor do they cause diabetes, heart disease, prostate/breast cancer, etc...

Furthermore, your claim that we can prevent and reverse most illnesses with diet is absolute bull ****. The "tested and proven" part of your statement is a fantasy- yours.

Certainly, the typical American eats a rather unhealthy diet, and obesity is rampant in the US in many developed countries. And yes, some metabolic disorders can be reversed by diet. And no one will ever deny that veggies are good for you and that you should eat them. The vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and so forth are wonderful for your health and can help prevent an array of illnesses, including cancer (note that I said 'prevent', not 'reverse'). But they are not a guarantee of health. You can certainly be obese while vegetarian... and you can develop cancer while vegetarian. And, sadly... cancer CANNOT be reversed by diet. I really suggest you don't try or you'll end up in the morgue. I can think of half a dozen other disease that also cannot be reversed by diet... but I'll stop there.

And it's foolish to think you cannot be healthy while consuming meat. Humanity has been omnivores for a very long time. And we're incredibly adaptable (go us!!). We can survive and be healthy on a variety of diets... including mostly meat if we have to or choose to. I'm generally anti-low-carb, but I recognize that it is a viable and healthy strategy for some.

I choose to eat meat because I enjoy it, because it provides a complete array of essential amino acids, and is a great source of many vitamin Bs. I do try to eat responsibly raised beef/chicken/pork when my budget allows, but I do not in anyway feel guilty about ending the life of an animal to provide me with food.

^^this
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Just because you saw it on t.v. doesn't make it so. Your argument sounds almost identical to the one in Forks Over Knives, maybe you should go watch Fat Head to balance it out.
  • MissGatekeeper
    Options
    I have a b12 defciency (even as a meat eater).. I can't quite seeing that being "cured" by going vegetarian? Also, switching diets can indeed help with certain illnesses, the ketogenic diet is used to control epilepsy in children. (no, I'm not a low-carber myself. I however have a lot of epilepsy in the family) Different diets work for different things, I am sure being a vegetarian helps some people, but I am also sure it's not the ultimate cure.
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Most of your post is a very watered down version of the main point of Forks Over Knives (which has merit and is worth watching). But this:
    Many Americans have no idea how to sacrifice, even if it means for their health in the long run. It is sad we live in a world where our temporary satisfaction we get with the foods that "comfort" us, trump that of our lifelong health. We don't know any better anymore. We are raised with greed and overconsumption and most of us will never now what it is like to starve and struggle.

has zero factual basis, is a complete generalization, sounds really condescending, and was totally unnecessary. Who are you to judge "most Americans" - have you met every American, do you know every American's diet, do you know the hardships or lifestyles of every American? No? Then what are you talking about?

I think a good portion of people will agree that there is something wrong with the standard American diet & that more whole foods/veggies = good, but going on about the evils of someone's diet isn't going to win any friends. I'm a bit appalled that you felt the need to type that all & end it with a "chew on that!" and then claim that you "aren't looking for a debate, just opinions."

...And veg*ns wonder why we've wound up with such a bad rap. Sigh.
  • mariagabriella
    mariagabriella Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your body. Some people find their bodies need meat, and others don't. I know a few people who say that their bodies were designed to go without meat, and I believe them, the same that I believe the people who say they need meat.

I never thought my body needed meat as much as it did until I was a vegetarian for 4 years. Whilst it's true I was rarely sick during those 4 years, I was tired and lethargic every day, even during the last few months when I was exercising 5 times a week. Now that I'm a meat eater again, I definitely feel a lot better and have much more energy. Also too, if iron supplements didn't exist I'd "have" to eat red meat, because I have thalassemia and you know, having low iron and hemoglobin levels is never fun.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Not that I have anything against vegans/vegetarians, but it is natural to eat meat. We are omnivores.

I will agree that most people probably eat too much meat. However, where is the data that says vegetarians have less health issues in general? Wouldn't they just have different health issues? Like osteoperosis and Alzheimer's?
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Nonsense or not, there's no reason to get heated when stating an opinion. We're adults for the most part, although not so civil when it comes about stating a point in most cases.
    I agree with you about animal protein or red meats not causing cancer. Actually, I will add that a lot of countries from Central and South America are red meat eaters and the cancer levels are probably lower than in the US. What in my opinion can help increase the amount of cancer and diseases in this country is the huge and absurd amount of hormones, chemicals and antibiotics used in farms with this animals.
    Just because you don't believe in something, doesn't me is absolute bull ****. For your information, in holistic medicine it is believed that the human body is capable to prevent / reverse most diseases with proper diet and other factors, including exercises. That Western Medicine doesn't want to admit it, that's a whole different story. Easter Medicine has been successful at achieving this for thousands of years. But like I said, it is a matter of whatever you believe.
    I once again agree with you in most of what you said here. Now, diet does have a major role in health, but it is not the main or only factor to have a healthy life. Stress is the main factor in health, and when stress levels go above normal the disease happens, in other words dis - ease caused by stress. About obese vegetarian, totally true, but way less % than meat eaters. And about what diseases can be reversed or not... just like you said, I'll stop there
    Agreed
    I always say that the vegetarians who tell me they don't eat meat because of the guilt about ending the life of an animal are full of *kitten* with all the respect. Living beings are living beings, and under the microscope they all have living cells, INCLUDING vegetables. Just because a tree doesn't have a heart doesn't mean it is not a living organism that will die when you cut it. What happens when you cut a flower and leave it on a table? It will die and dry. Same thing happens when you cut veggies and eat them. So that whole "guilt" is nothing but pure hypocrisy.

PS. Now shoot me :bigsmile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I love eating meat!
    Always will!

soy protein gives me constipation and I have to eat 17 figs to fix it.
    =(

MSCAmanEatingAHamburger.jpg
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    bump!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I spent 16 happy healthy years growing up vegetarian (then I got a taste for the flesh). Point is, 16 years, happy and healthy, lucky omnivorous us, we can eat it but we don't Have to.
  • RawReactor
    Options
    True, this will be a never-ending debate. I've given up trying to push the anti-meat debate unless the audience wants to hear it. The only point I'll add to this thread is that since we turned vegan, myself, my wife, and my son, have never been sick. In two years, a sore throat or mild cold simply disappears by itself two days later.

Same goes for my two year-old son. The other kids in his daycare center are always sticky with runny noses, colds, coughs, you name it. Thankfully my son shakes it off after a day or two. He also has all the energy in the world and doctors confirmed his development is spot-on without any meat or dairy consumption.

Regardless of what anybody says, dropping the meat and dairy has been the best thing for my family's health, with noticeable changes from day 1. Even if the ethics behind animal cruelty do not concern you, I recommend the vegan lifestyle simply for the pure, clean, ongoing health benefits you enjoy every day.

And about B12 deficiency? An easy supplement keeps me on the sunny side.

Peace and health to you all!
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I always say that the vegetarians who tell me they don't eat meat because of the guilt about ending the life of an animal are full of *kitten* with all the respect. Living beings are living beings, and under the microscope they all have living cells, INCLUDING vegetables. Just because a tree doesn't have a heart doesn't mean it is not a living organism that will die when you cut it. What happens when you cut a flower and leave it on a table? It will die and dry. Same thing happens when you cut veggies and eat them. So that whole "guilt" is nothing but pure hypocrisy.

LOL so true! I always ask my vegetarian friends this. Where does this mystical line get drawn?

We shoud all be Fruitatarians, as the fruit of a plant is meant to be eaten! :P Wait.. but we are killing the cells in the fruit... that's mean. We should now sustain ourselves on sunlight alone. Let's be plants!!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I'm confused in the title you argue against people who say they have to eat meat then your post goes towards a do not eat meat argument.

Although it is possible to have a healthy diet without meat included within it but then eating meat will not result in being unhealthy. If you want to use the eastern cultures argument, although the diet has a higher vegetable content it still has meat in it so the casing point you made only goes against your point made within the post and does not support your topic title.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian but my plan is to switch to humanely raised animal food (caged free chicken, grass-fed cows, etc).
    I think it's admirable to be a vegetarian or vegan for ethic purposes.
    My DH told me yesterday that is boss just decided to become vegetarian. I asked why and apparently it's because he thinks he's too fat. So, in his mind, it's his weight loss solution. *facepalm* to that!
    I agree that vegetarian-vegans might have less health issues related to their non-consumption of greasy fatty meat. However,
    a lot of them tend to eat too much soy products and that messes up their estrogen levels = infertility problems, low sperm count, thyroid problems...
  • ZoayZoay
    ZoayZoay Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Eastern cultures in which diets are mostly plant based, have little to almost bar none death rates of cancer and disease compared to Western civilizations

Really? Almost no-one dies of disease in the East? WTVF?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Sorry! Not giving up meat. I have a pretty good relationship with it. It's also Biblical to eat meat. But that's another arguement :)
  • GroovyGma73
    Options
    I love eating meat!
    Always will!

soy protein gives me constipation and I have to eat 17 figs to fix it.
    =(

MSCAmanEatingAHamburger.jpg

Lol I love everything you write on this forum, your wise and funny
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I probably don't have to eat meat... but I sure as heck want to :P

tumblr_ll270jWaeV1qf4nigo1_500.jpg
This discussion has been closed.