Exercise when you have your period

Options

Replies

• BluenoserChick
    BluenoserChick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's not the pain -- I could deal with the pain. It's the flow. I'm NOT going to the gym when I can barely stand up without an accident. Or cough.... or sneeze. YMMV.
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How funny, I was thinking about this last night.

I feel your pain. Growing up mine caused such insane pain - I felt like I was being knifed in the stomach if I even moved an inch and I constantly be physically ill and feverish for a couple days. I remember times where I'd been sitting in bed talking to some one (went to boarding school) and then I'd wake up a couple hours later totally confused what happened - I'd become ridiculously exhausted. SO, for those that say "suck it up," until you've experienced the kind of pain some of these ladies are talking about, don't make it sound so simple.

BUT like some others have said, I went on birth control for awhile and that REALLY helped out. I still felt pretty crummy, but I wasn't getting sick anymore and my pain was slightly decreased (just crammed, didn't feel like I was being gutted).

I'm off birth control now, but I think being on it really helped because I've either gotten over those bad symptoms or the pill really changed my system for the better. Consult your doctor on what options you have to make it more bearable and then do SOMETHING...whether it's just lifting light weights in front of the TV or even just going out walking for an hour...it doesn't have to be an insane workout spree, just something you're doing so your body gets used to the activity.

Good luck!!!
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I guess its just a matter of getting up and doing it lol. I feel lazy and slugish when TOM is here. No fun, but I just remember that I have goals to accomplish. If its really bad I'll just count that day as a rest day
  • carcrsh
    Options
    I feel uncomfortable going to yoga class with it so I think I'm just going to not go on those days and do some light cardio. I think you should be fine as long as you keep moving. And like another poster said it's not really the pain. It's the flow that bothers me.
  • lovelee79
    Options
    So I’ve been going to the gym quite religiously except when I have my period. During three weeks I build a rhythm and by the third week I feel great and then that one week it’s surprising that I can even get out of bed. The week after I find it really hard to restart exercising again, especially after a week of uncontrollable binge eating. I hurt all week and my only consolation is yummy treats.
    Does anyone have ways to deal with it?

You described me completely !! You are not alone ! I wish I had a way to deal with it, I'm trying to find something also. I got my period yesterday and I have eaten uncontrollably for the last few days, no exercise due to pain, bloating, sore legs/back, etc :(
    I hate it, it really does destroy my routine. In a day or so I'll be back at exercising and eating better. oh well
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I always feel better after I exercise. It decreases both my cramps and my back pain. My TOM used to be pretty bad but it's much better now so I'm able to do this. Fair warning, it hurts worse when I start lifting but gets better by the time I'm done.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have not read all of the responses, but yes, I do work out and one thing that has helped me over the years is using a menstrual cup for my monthly. You can't feel it and it's like I'm noy even on my period. If you do a search, it will tell you about them.
  • musicstardust67
    musicstardust67 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I used to have the WORST cramps ever. FOR YEARS I'd suffer from them and it would be to the point where i'd be hot and cold at the same time, i'd throw up, i'd be crying from the pain and I couldn't even move without feeling intense pain and it would last for hours. Birth control, really does help! Also, not only exercise at least 5 days a week especially days before you start but cutting down on pop and salt really helps me.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think it was a bit horrid for that person to say suck it up because we're women of the 21st century...but I digress.

I know what feeling you're talking about. In fact because of my increase in exercise it has slightly did some things to my cycle (right after I finished the cycle when it usually begins and ends, I began another short one which lasted for a couple of days with no cramps or anything, just spotting). Depending on where you are in terms of pain and feeling maybe just modify your routine that instead of intense gym work either still go to the gym and just go at it with lighter intensity or go for a walk outside. I personally would prefer the walking/jogging because I need to be near a bathroom more often during this time and I would also like the ability to be able to get off the path and sit when I need to take a rest. If you feel severe pain I would try some tea and taking an aleve aleve works great for my cramps when I have them. If you feel you are up to it then yeah get up and do a little moving, but if you feel that hey you need to take it easy then do so, a woman's menstrual cycle brings a lot of changes to the body so I wouldn't feel guilty if you gotta slow it down for a while.

Oh, make sure (if you can hold it down) to continue drinking a lot of water, it will keep the bloating down).
  • Savyna
    Options
    I have not read all of the responses, but yes, I do work out and one thing that has helped me over the years is using a menstrual cup for my monthly. You can't feel it and it's like I'm noy even on my period. If you do a search, it will tell you about them.

do you mean something like the Diva cup? My sister uses something like that but I'm scared to stick something like that in me hehe so I stick with the more old way of TOM maintenance. -.- maybe someday I'll try it, it seems more economical and ecofriendly as well but hehe just scary to get in there ~_~
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    It's not the pain -- I could deal with the pain. It's the flow. I'm NOT going to the gym when I can barely stand up without an accident. Or cough.... or sneeze. YMMV.

Ain't it the truth! Back when I still had 'em, and I've been post menopausal for more than ten years, I wore two super-plus tampons (Yes, if you insert them just right you can wear two at a time--it's uncomfortable, but possible) and two super pads at a time. During the day that MIGHT get me two hours--at night I got up to change them twice.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

I found them very difficult to empty without getting it all over you, which I needed to do every two or three hours. I suppose if they really did last twelve hours as advertised...
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I carry emergency doctor perscribed pain pills because I used to become completely incapacitated suddenly, even in public. In the space of tens minutes or so, I would be throwing up and in extreme pain, unable to walk or sit up without passing out. My herniated disk, the time I tore my ligaments, the time I dislocated my ankle, the time I had abdominal surgery.... None of these things have been as painful as my cramping is for me. I have had it checked out and do not tolerate birth control well.
    To those who say suck it up, I wish you could understand that not all women experience the same intensity of cramping. Please believe us.
    Once the first day is over, I am back to the gym, however. :-)
  • Savyna
    Options
    I carry emergency doctor perscribed pain pills because I used to become completely incapacitated suddenly, even in public. In the space of tens minutes or so, I would be throwing up and in extreme pain, unable to walk or sit up without passing out. My herniated disk, the time I tore my ligaments, the time I dislocated my ankle, the time I had abdominal surgery.... None of these things have been as painful as my cramping is for me. I have had it checked out and do not tolerate birth control well.
    To those who say suck it up, I wish you could understand that not all women experience the same intensity of cramping. Please believe us.
    Once the first day is over, I am back to the gym, however. :-)

There are some cycles where this would happen to me as well, and it was only the first day. I would have this type of pain that is unexplainable and would begin to feel clammy, light headed and would violently vomit anything that I tried to take to feel better (even trying to drink water would cause me to throw up). Do you (or anyone) know why this happens to some women?
  • hhamada
    Options
    In my experience, excercise helped lessen the cramps and made me feel better. When I started P90X, I was determined to follow the program so I didn't let my periods stop me from working out. When I incorporated the P90X nutrition plan, I lost enough body fat that my periods have completely stopped. I've since done P90X Plus, Insanity, and am now doing P90X2. I haven't had a period in over a year.
  • t3hsandy
    t3hsandy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I let my periods get in the way, I would have only been able to workout maybe 4 days in January alone (I got it for 3 weeks in 1 month, doing way better from the 2 month straight period I had). I use the hormonal changes to my advantage. I get super angry more than anything (3 periods in a month, who wouldn't?) and take that anger out in a workout. Everytime you pulse the arm with the weights, you're punching the universe in the face for the torture. D<
  • mazza33
    mazza33 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    bump...I hear ya :( x
  • redtop2187
    redtop2187 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Absolutely exercise when you are on your period. When I am on mine there are tons of excuses as why I shouldn't/don't want to. I figured if I can work as a nurse and do the other daily activities than the gym shouldn't be given an exception either. I'm not saying that I work out as hard because I feel yucky, but something is better than nothing. Almost all the time though I end up being pain free afterwards.

As far as birth control, I was on it and then my body started getting very out of whack. The three options I had were to keep trying different pills, have endoscopy done to look for tumors, or take myself off (the third option was my idea, 2 docs frowned on it)....I didn't want tons of meds mixing in body and all the side effects that come along with trying different hormones....endoscopy seemed extreme and was only diagnostic not fixing the problem...I choose option 3! PRAISE GOD I FOLLOWED MY OWN BELIEFS....I have perfectly on time periods and hurt less than when I was on birth control. Just my story for whatever it's worth to someone.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The pain for me is bad enough, but add to that ridiculously heavy flow, and a body that decides to randomly void itself of all digesting food one way or another. So I rarely workout during the first few days, and yes it makes it really hard to get back into the routine. But *that* is the part where I can say I personally do have to 'suck it up' and just do it.
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    strangely, despite horrid cramps and blow outs, I find myself looser jointed or something and more able to handle things. I have less muscular cramps and can do MORE in the way of exercise. After it though...then I feel like crap. Go figure.