"Toning" aka fear of lifting heavy

Options

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Ok this is off topic a little but do you think a kettlebell workout would help with building muscle? It's the most affordable and practical thing for me specifically that I can think of since I don't have access to a gym...

craigslist a bench and weight set.

thats really all you need.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump

I'm a few months into NROLFW but want to put these other sources (Stronglifts, Starting Strength) on my "To Read" list.
  • Marmalina
    Options
    absolutely!.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Also, I have to say, after having a quick look through the thread a few of you are being harsh and and over-critical toward people who are saying they have never done it before and feel a little intimidated by it. ****ty attitudes that aren't needed on a support site, especially toward people who are obviously interested in trying this new venture.

Probably because these people are clearly "having a quick look through the thread" and hitting Reply before seeing that their questions have been answered 5 to 6 times. But just to do it again:

Starting Strength
    Stronglifts
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Bodybuilding.com
    Talk to a trainer at your gym

All of these are resources easy to research online and handle oneself to get going.

honestly, I cant wait for the people that are too lazy to read first to post on bodybuilding.com.... they will get eaten alive.
    its a great source of info.. but you dont want to go on there posting BS the same way its done on here. lol.

Lulz. Feel kinda bad referring people there. The stupid threads over there were just calming down too.
  • jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Marking to read tonight
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    honestly, I cant wait for the people that are too lazy to read first to post on bodybuilding.com.... they will get eaten alive.
    its a great source of info.. but you dont want to go on there posting BS the same way its done on here. lol.

Lulz. Feel kinda bad referring people there. The stupid threads over there were just calming down too.
    id rep you here but theres no reps.... lol

yeah, i kept an eye on the "losing fat" forum for years, but didnt post much... in the last month they've finally irritated me enough that I just keep posing the same info that they should be able to read there on their own...
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Ladies show us your routines. I workout to Cathe Friedrich which she lifts heavy so it's a variation.
  • nutandbutter
    Options

id rep you here but theres no reps.... lol

yeah, i kept an eye on the "losing fat" forum for years, but didnt post much... in the last month they've finally irritated me enough that I just keep posing the same info that they should be able to read there on their own...

I've seen you there. No stalker. My username is different there though.
  • lyndsei
    lyndsei Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Ladies show us your routines. I workout to Cathe Friedrich which she lifts heavy so it's a variation.

I'm a noob (started in September) but here's what I did today:
    Squat: 115x7,120x6, 125x4
    SLDL: 115x0, 120x4, 120x4
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 25x9, 25x7, 25x6 (normally would move up to 30 for the last set but my shoulder was tweaky)
    One arm dumbbell row: 35x6, 35x6, 35x6
    Bench: 85x5, 90x4, 90x4
    Wide grip lat pulldown: 120x5, 120x7, 120x6

^ This is what I make sure I do evey time. I'll do "bonus" exercises if I feel like it. Today I threw in some decline push ups with leg raises, hanging leg raises and plank obliques (knee goes to armpit) with hands on weighted balls and feet on bosu.

Remember, it doesn't matter what someone else can lift as long as it's heavy for you. You want to use high weights and low reps and the last couple should be difficult for you.
  • osorio1
    Options
    Ok so i have a few quesitons:

1. Would using the machines at the gym be still effective or do i have to use free weights? I ask because the free wt section at the gym is always full of men and i feel intimiated going in there.

2. I need to lose about 50lbs and am eating at a calorie deficit . Would this still yeild the results i am looking for??

3. Or should i wait till i am closer to my goal weight to start lifting heavy?

Thanks and please no sarcastic remarks. :) thanks
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

1. Would using the machines at the gym be still effective or do i have to use free weights? I ask because the free wt section at the gym is always full of men and i feel intimiated going in there.

2. I need to lose about 50lbs and am eating at a calorie deficit . Would this still yeild the results i am looking for??

Nah, no need to wait. Lifting heavy is a good way to maintain and even build some strength while on a calorie deficit. Of course you won't have to worry about putting on mass either. :)
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    goin' to the boys' side tomorrow for the first time beeotches! i'm so stoked :glasses:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

1. Free weights are better because you work a group of muscle and do not isolate just one muscle. When you isolate on muscle, you make it stronger without keeping the balance between all the muscles and this can result in injuries.
    2. Start right now....it is alot easier to maintain the muscles you have now then to wait, lose muscle mass then trying to build it back. Ask the girls trying to gain muscle mass how very hard it is.
    Good luck
  • osorio1
    Options
    Thank u yanicka1 and jnick77 for your responses. :). Will definately get started!!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

YES. Machines are great though you may need to do a lot more machines to target the whole muscle group instead of working with free weights. Machines have the advantage of being easy to use while free weights can be ineffective or damage your body if used improperly with poor form. The key is to lift as heavy as you can. This means that after doing about 8 reps, if you cannot do another, you're doing the right weight. I like to do a set of 8-10 pushing myself as hard as I can, take a short breather, then do another, then another. I usually only do 3 sets at a time then move on to the next machine.

Lifting will help you maintain your lean mass and add strength gains. I've noticed I'm much less "giggly" than I was before I was lifting. Gaining muscle is very difficult so maintaining it is the best bet.

Start now. Do not wait. HOP TO IT LADY LOU!
  • osorio1
    Options
    Thanks Elizaabeth. :). Cant wait to start seeing results i know it wont happen over night. But i guess i didnt get fat overnight either. :)
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    :heart:
    goin' to the boys' side tomorrow for the first time beeotches! i'm so stoked :glasses:

Have fun! It's much better on that side!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks Elizaabeth. :). Cant wait to start seeing results i know it wont happen over night. But i guess i didnt get fat overnight either. :)

Don't worry about it. Just focus on making the changes necessary to move you in the right direction. Think of weight loss less of a goal but more of a side bonus to living better, and you will be much happier along this journey.

I wrote a short post for Newbies if you are interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
  • j3467h
    Options
    One thing first...you must make sure to use proper technique when lifting heavy. The heavier the weight, the greater the risk for injury. Make sure you have been properly instructed in proper form and not just gathered information from watching others in the gym. All too often I see people lifting weights which are too heavy for them, using very slopy form just to complete one or two reps.