Replies

• renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Your trainer's response had the statement, "This is a fact, my friends!" in it. It sounded like she was marketing herself to a large audience, and not responding solely to the OP's question. Which makes me question the entire response. It just didn't seem like it was written in response to a question from one individual.
  • nayrairam
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • npeters519
    npeters519 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great post, thanks for sharing!

tuffytuffy1 - I'm pretty sure this email was sent to a group list (sounds like the group that does the bootcamp the OP mentions).
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thanks for sharing.
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    Options
    slow and steady wins the race....gotta fuel that body
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    Great post!
  • Lexymom
    Options
    Thanks! :) Love the explanation.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This is GOLD.
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hardcore bump...
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality. Am I the only one who read all the stickies when I started here to learn how this website is supposed to work?

OP, I'm glad you shared the post if this information finally got into the noggins of MFP participants so I'm not knocking you. Thanks for posting it.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Really interesting post. Although things aren't much clearer to me as it's the same old debate, I wish someone had a concrete answer. What I tend to do is eat back calories after a bigger workout (30 minutes circuit training and then an hour on the bike) but if I burn 300 when I'm out walking I don't feel 'deprived' enough to eat them back.

In saying this, my weight was not shifting for love nor money and in my frustrated, defeated state I ate 3000 calories on Friday (no, not 'good' calories either), 1800 on Saturday (although did burn 800) and 1500 yesterday and over this weekend have lost two pounds.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    YAY I CAN EAT MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.
    No, just follow the MFP recommendations, and if your trainer is ignorant of how deficits are factored, please don't take bad advice.

MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
    Agreed 100%.

"These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode."

Yet, she agreed with her trusted physician, because that is what she wanted to hear. Most general physician's and nutritionist know nothing about modern nutrition. They are still stuck on old knowledge that has been proven to be bad.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Your trainer's response had the statement, "This is a fact, my friends!" in it. It sounded like she was marketing herself to a large audience, and not responding solely to the OP's question. Which makes me question the entire response. It just didn't seem like it was written in response to a question from one individual.

I do admit the wording was very strange for a reply aimed at one person...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.
    No, just follow the MFP recommendations, and if your trainer is ignorant of how deficits are factored, please don't take bad advice.

MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.

^ Well said!!!!

Don't slow down your metabolism people, you'll regret it!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    that was explained in a great way.. ive lost more on an 1800 calorie diet then on a 1400 calorie diet because of the starvation and craving factors which accompany the larger deficit.. so start a bit higher and then cut more if you really need it..
  • J_Daawwg
    J_Daawwg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pam_williams
    pam_williams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump!