Tanning - Yay or Nay?

Options
WanderingMe
WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
I freaking love it....and although there are obvious health risks to it, for some reason it helps me want to be more active and stay within my calorie limits.

What about you?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a Nay. Although it can help beat back the winter blahs in very small doses. I haven't tried it.
  • mSquared77
    mSquared77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    LOVE. It makes me feel so good and confident. I always say....."good hair, good teeth and a good tan will get you far." =)
  • vtpugs
    vtpugs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    YES- in Vermont- with freezing cold winters- need that to warm me up inside and feels sooo great..
  • honeys7
    Options
    My dermatologist has recommended it - believe it or not! Has cured my psoriasis and I take no meds for it! I'm a definate YAY!
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Definite LOVE IT! vote here... When I agreed to move back to my hubby's hometown this summer, a tanning salon was one of the conditions.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Nay. i love my pale skin, however when I was a kid I was usually at the beach all day and in the sun so I was very dark.

I am Ukrainian and Latin so I have the ability to be both if I want to :D
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist has recommended it - believe it or not! Has cured my psoriasis and I take no meds for it! I'm a definate YAY!

I was just gonna say it cured my psoriasis too! I was amazed when I was tanning how quickly it went away! I love tanning. I dont do it year round but I will tan for a few months before the summer hits!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Please explain how it helps you stay within your calorie limit. Maybe I'm a sceptic, but this doesn't sound possible
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I used to love tanning but I've given it up. It made no sense to take care of my body by eating healthy food and exercising only to sabotage myself by tanning. Not only can it cause cancer, it causes premature aging. :noway: I do, however, enjoy spray tanning!
  • RDalton84
    Options
    love love love tanning!!! It's nice and relaxing and quiet!! lol I always feel so energized after a tanning session. Must be the replenishment of all that Vitamin D I miss out on during the winter! lol but like everything, in moderation lol don't want to be orange. Once I have my base tan I maybe go 2-3 times a week to maintain.
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I Love it..BUT just had a skin cancer removed..Dr. said nor more:(
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I tan if I think a may be going to get naked.......
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I LOVE tanning. On a cold winter day to sit in a bed all warm and such is just SO relaxing. I can't tan though. I'm italian and tan too fast. Looks bad on me in the winter. And in the summer im always outside so I dont need a bed :C
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Please explain how it helps you stay within your calorie limit. Maybe I'm a sceptic, but this doesn't sound possible

Pardon me, I should clarify...it doesnt actually DO anything...I just mean it makes me feel good and WANT to stay within my calorie limits. A boost of will power, if you will :)
  • Sidonas
    Sidonas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I don't tan, I burn, so its a Nay for me.

To the one who asked about it helping with calorie limits: Its another way to get vitamin D, particularly in the gloomier months of the year. You could get the same energy boost from a Vitamin D supplement or, my personal favorite, full spectrum lightbulbs in your home.
  • repoman150
    repoman150 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love it too!!!! YEA!!!
  • hobbitgrrl
    Options
    Count my vote for "Yay". I go twice a week for 5 minutes/session in a stand-up booth (too claustrophobic for the beds). I find it has really helped with the "winter blahs", acne flare-ups, and my overall sense of well-being. During the summer months, I get my vitamin D from the Great Outdoors, but come November, I'm heading back to the tanning salon!
  • Ericacea
    Options
    Nay. I'm proud of my natural skin tone, and think other people should be too (whatever they may have). Genetically, you're a special snowflake--so many factors make your skin look the way it is. Also, I don't want my skin to age prematurely.
  • modgirlrachel
    modgirlrachel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yuck, no. 90% of premature aging is caused by uv damage. Skin cell turnover slows down. Makes you look old and wrinkly.
    I live in Australia and we have one of the highest rate of melanoma (skin cancer) in the world. "there's nothing healthy about a tan"