WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon, Ladies!

Welcome Sandi and other new members...we're glad you are here and look forward to getting to know you!

JaneMartin: Hope the antitbiotic helps...know you want to get your surgery over with!

Michelle & Mary: I agree with you about group vs thread...we all tend to write about lots of different issues in our lifes...children, exercise, travel....and I like that and feel like I get to know lots of you that way. I know I have looked at some of the "groups" but have stayed with this thread the longest because of the friendships here.

We skied ALL DAY LONG today with a neighbor couple here who are in their 30s!!! We kept up but boy oh boy...I took a LONG hot bath and won't be doing too much else the rest of the day!!! I just need to try not to eat every calorie back. I am SO hungry after a day like this moving FAST through all that snow!!! It was very fun though and so glad that DH and I both enjoy it so much:love::love: :love:

Better go find something healthy to make for dinner! Take care everyone:heart: Kackie
  • deelicious6
    Options
    :brokenheart: Ok, ';m the newby.
    Just checking in with you all. I live in the south and I curt grass and cleaned the yard today.
    It was nice to read the posts for Valentines day projects etc...
    Myself, I went next door and gave my Mom a small gift of cologne and an overnight organizer, then I gave her a pedicure. I don't mind doing this at all and she can't do it herself any more. It was a very inexpensive gift that was much appreciated. LOL
    Afterwards we had lunch and did a little work on the computer whileshe took a nap. Shoots that nap looked so good I got about 30 minutes of it myself!:laugh:
    everyone here sems to be busy and I wish I had company :drinker: I could go for a cup of coffe on the front porch.:brokenheart: Think I'll do that in the morning before I start working. :wink:
    Hey! How do you add the calculator that tells you how much you've lost!
    I see the oblong calculators under the posts.
  • cowgirlzride
    Options
    Thank you for the information Sarah. Sounds yummy and I will think of you while roasting. Sandi
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

I see there are lots of new faces again, Welcome to you. I look forward to getting to know you.

Jane - sorry that your surgery had to be postponed, but get better quickly :flowerforyou:

Amanda - I truly wish I had your problem of being too thin and not wanting to weigh myself because of I was too small :laugh:

Nancy - what a romantice hubby you have and after 30 years :wink:

blissfuldrake - sounds like you had a good news/bad news sort of day, but you didn't tell us if you found the cards :frown:

I see that many of you are raising the issue of group/thread again and for my two cents worth, I prefer this format as it is like this, we get to know each other in a much more intimate, friendlier way than in a group setting where everything seems to be broken down into "categories"; this is so much better; you can rant, you can talk about anything that is troubling you, you can talk about something you are happy about, anything at all you can share with everyone. I know when you first start IT IS confusing to find the new thread month to month or when a new thread is started, but it does not take long to figure it out. Frankly, I don't mind reading lots of threads if I have missed a day or 2, I enjoy getting to know you Ladies, I don't find it a chore, so it does not bother me and if it does bother you, you don't have to read the threads. I really prefer this thread just the way it is, with all of our stories about our every day lives being told every day. I hope we don't change it.

Anyway, Ladies, hope you all are doing well. Take care.

Love, Cathy xx
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Realpure, thanks for the book recommendations. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on.

I had a couple of down days -- a hearing Monday night followed by two days where I just wanted to pull the covers over my head and stay in bed (I'm really losing my stamina for trial work). This afternoon instead of heading to the gym, my husband suggested a walk at our local park, so we bundled up and took a very brisk hour-long walk trying to capture the daylight. Then had a great dinner at a local restaurant, and amazingly, we were done by 7:30, which is very early for us. It really turned my mood around.

Eileen
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :sad: :sad: :sad: Jane, sorry to hear that you have to wait in anticipation for a few more days before your surgery…best wishes for a speedy recovery from what ails you so the surgery can happen soon.

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, the custom of starting a new thread each month was in place when I found Women Ages 50+ in February 2009…….when the woman who started the thread got busy and turned it over to me, I just continued the custom…..perhaps continuing with the thread without a month attached to the title and just letting it roll over when it reaches 500 posts would be another alternative…….however, I’ve noticed that the welcome on the first of the new month brings new participants and many of them stay with us. My frustration with the group I belong to is that there are so many threads that I spend time reading and responding to all of them and getting confused about who said what on which thread………..your Valentine’s Day at home sounds great…I might take your suggestions to use next year.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I love my heart rate monitor……last night I was almost asleep and the cat jumped on my and scared me and I screamed and the first thing I thought was that I wished I’d been wearing my HRM so I could see if my heart rate spiked when I got scared.

:flowerforyou: Donna, your suggestions about forming a group have gotten me thinking, but since I’m merely the semi-skilled laborer who remembers to start the new thread each month, I won’t make any changes without a groundswell of agreement.

:flowerforyou: Sherry, I am reading “Strong Women Stay Young” and “Strength Training for Women” because I don’t want to join a gym but I want some good workouts to do at home. Both books have some very good directions for things to do at home……I don’t have any goals of heavy lifting…… the books I’m reading talk about strength training contributing to a leaner body, resilience to injury, less likelihood of bad pain and poor posture, higher metabolism, improved bone density, better balance, better flexibility, and treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. The books cite studies that show that you are never too old to start a weight training program and that lifting weights can improve your quality of life into your 80’s and 90’s
    :bigsmile: :heart: Macmadame, your family had a rough patch and you were amazing keeping everybody organized and getting their needs met. I admire you…..your family is fortunate to have you.

:flowerforyou: Chrissy, take your weight loss one pound at a time, eat healthy, add more cardio and strength training, and you’ll find the weight that works for you……..I was surprised to find that my ultimate goal turned out to be about 15 pounds less than what I thought it would be.

:flowerforyou: Sandi, once you post on this thread, it shows up on the list of “My Topics” that is under “Community”………when we get to 500 posts on the thread, there is a link at the bottom of the 500th post that gets you to the new page…..on the first of the month (or late the night before) a new thread starts and there is a link in the last post to let you know how to get to the new month.

:flowerforyou: My friend who comes over to walk with me on Wednesday couldn’t come so I had time this afternoon for yoga, strength training (while watching TV with Jake) and an extra walk with the dogs. Now I get to spend some time with all of you.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    My life today is so great today it should have background music

February goals:
    *walk the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, windy, or snowy.
    * Yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day
    *strength training two days a week (three would be better)
    *16,000 steps a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

Love your quote. I've heard it before, but it's one I should remember every day! Thanks for the encouragement everyone :smile:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Surgery postponed til Mon at 730.Home on antibodic and orders to rest and drink lots of liquid.
    Was hoping to have it behind me.
    Thanks for all the love and support.
    HUGS
    jane
    get better
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,381 Member
    Options
    Jane - Oh, how it must feel having the surgery postponed, but it's probably for the best. What if you had it and then had a complication? prayers...keep us updated.

realpure - there were two suits, one I thought was really pretty but I wasn't crazy about the straps, the other one didn't look like much on the hanger, but I liked the way the back was cut. The one that I wasn't crazy about on the hanger looked so much better on me! It was only $60 and I got 30% off that. Not a real good bargain, but I did think that by now I would have had the other swimsuit. Well, on the outside chance that it is shipped, I'm keeping the tags on the swimsuit and I'll return it if needed. But I doubt highly that I'll be returning it.

Just got back from the Newcomer bowling. Did pretty decent the first two games, then at the start of the third game I felt what must be some sort of muscle in my forearm (near the wrist) was pulled. I think it just needs some rest and all will be fine. Fortunately, the Newcomer league isn't sanctioned.

Called the president of the HOA. I'll drop off the flash drive with the directory info at his house tomorrow. I do want to get it to him before we leave for FL. I'm not in a rush to get this drive back, but eventually I would like it back.

Off to take a shower and then probably get to bed. Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • crissy170
    crissy170 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbiecat!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    [/quote] :flowerforyou: SuzyQ, the custom of starting a new thread each month was in place when I found Women Ages 50+ in February 2009…….when the woman who started the thread got busy and turned it over to me, I just continued the custom…..perhaps continuing with the thread without a month attached to the title and just letting it roll over when it reaches 500 posts would be another alternative…….however, I’ve noticed that the welcome on the first of the new month brings new participants and many of them stay with us. My frustration with the group I belong to is that there are so many threads that I spend time reading and responding to all of them and getting confused about who said what on which thread………..your Valentine’s Day at home sounds great…I might take your suggestions to use next year.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I love my heart rate monitor……last night I was almost asleep and the cat jumped on my and scared me and I screamed and the first thing I thought was that I wished I’d been wearing my HRM so I could see if my heart rate spiked when I got scared.

:flowerforyou: Donna, your suggestions about forming a group have gotten me thinking, but since I’m merely the semi-skilled laborer who remembers to start the new thread each month, I won’t make any changes without a groundswell of agreement.

:flowerforyou: Sandi, once you post on this thread, it shows up on the list of “My Topics” that is under “Community”………when we get to 500 posts on the thread, there is a link at the bottom of the 500th post that gets you to the new page…..on the first of the month (or late the night before) a new thread starts and there is a link in the last post to let you know how to get to the new month.

[/quote]

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Barbie I vote to keep it as it is. As you say there is only one thread to catch up on, it's easier to keep in touch with everyone. All we need to do is look for the month year and part one, two or three (maybe four it we are extra chatty) :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: You do all the hard work keeping the links to the new parts going :drinker: :drinker:

(Sorry the quote from Barbie didn't seem to work!)
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Internet finally fixed :bigsmile: we have a new hub, hope it lasts longer than the last one!

We are taking our cat wiz to the vets this morning for a blood test. He has to have one every 6 months to make sure we don't need to change his thyroid medication.

I really must try and download some photo's of the kittens, they are so cute.:heart:

:flowerforyou: Jane so sorry your surgery has been postponed, but good luck for Monday, I'm sure you'll be relieved to get it over with.

:frown: Day 8 of the challenge I have set myself and I'm not doing as well as I thought! Keep losing the same 2lb, but I am determined to lose at least half a stone (7lbs) before the end of March! I have started exercising on a morning and now the weather is getting lighter on an evening I'll soon be back to walking the doggies twice a day.

Well no good talking about exercise, I'd better get on and do it!!

Have a good day everyone, I'm glad to be back - Welcome to al the newcomers I look forward to getting to know you.

PS has anyone heard from Mimi (aka sister veggie queen)?

Viv xx
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize a new thread was started, just posting so it show under "my topics".
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all. I'm 51 and I'm from Texas. I'm trying to lose about 50 lbs and have lost 7 so far. I've been using MFP off and on for a few years, but just re-started my umpteenth attempt to do this. lol. Glad I found you all. Feel free to friend me if you want.

2232474.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends.

I too vote to keep this as a thread rather than a group. I don't post as often as I used to do, but still love to catch up with everyone all in one place.

It was warm enough for me to leave the house this morning without boots - the first time I've gone out in shoes for ages! Little things please me!

My DH told me this morning that I looked very 'Audrey' - I hope he was talking Hepburn. I'm feeling really small today (possibly the flat shoes I'm wearing). For some reason I felt like I was in the Land of the Giants when I was traveling to the gallery on the tube. Everyone seemed to tower above me.

As of tomorrow I am going to try to cut down my coffee consumption. I don't drink gallons of the stuff, but would definitely like to cut down to no more than 3 a day.

Got to dash!

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    It BUDGED!!! That is right. After 6 weeks of trying and gaining and loosing 4 pounds, I lost 2 real pounds...... I know it is just water weight but I'll take it.

Happy Thursday! With that news I think I'm going to float off to do some dancing.

Barbiecat ...... Love this thread and your guotes. If I had "back ground music" today it would be "Gonna Fly" from Rocky!
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good morning to you, good morning to you… :happy:

Skiing went well yesterday, no children lost or damaged. J'Boy skied non-stop all day and he's got a ton more confidence.

I am going to spend the weekend with my parents, they are 83 and just got back from a cruise on the west coast of SA. My Mum's a dietician so I don't have too many worries about going off track in the food department.:wink: Portion control is her middle name. I'll miss my weekend gym sessions, though. Wait...they have memberships at the Rec Center near their house. I'm in! Watch for news... Weight training today, following my "New Rules of Lifting" routing.:happy:

Jaks97 –I’ve found that exercising at home doesn’t work at all for me, home is my relaxing place, gym is where I work. Would it help to make up a schedule for yourself, just as if you were attending classes at a gym?

Congrat’s SueScott5plus on your loss. :happy:

JB, you will find your off switch, we know you will.

MacMadame, sometimes you must wonder just how much can happen to your family in a 72 hour time frame. Don’t forget to take care of yourself and that brain. :flowerforyou:

Janice, two weddings this summer! Oh, yeah, that’s an inspiration to get camera-ready.

Sandi – We are 53 year-old parents with a 14 year-old son. :heart: Our daughter is 25, no grandchildren. It’s not quite the same age gap as your family, but close. There are times when I complain about organizing school lunches and about coping teen-age angst, but for the most part I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

Ah, Michelle, that’s your secret – bake things you don’t like to eat. :huh: I’d just have to put cocoanut in everthing! Is it time to get out of the Homeowners Assoc? Have fun in FL.

Jane I am so sorry to hear your surgery was postponed. :cry: Hang in there.

Eileen, I just finished listening (audible.com) to a book called “Spark”. The author discusses the links between exercise and brain chemicals. Final analysis? The chemicals our bodies generate when we exercise are an anti-depressant. We knew that, but I never really get it until I read it in a book. :smile: So, good for you taking a walk when you’re feeling blue.

Barbie & Wizzywig, did you both say that you wished you had your HRM on so you could see the spike when the cat jumped on you? :huh: I think I’m glad I don’t have a cat! My little dog sleeps on our bed, but he gives me lots of warning.

Hi Amanda, I know what you mean about “land of giants”. I’m 5’1” and by the end of the year even my grade 7 students (13 year olds) loom over me. :grumble:

Realpure: Yeah! Yippee! :happy: :happy:

It's time to wake up J'boy and get the day moving along.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Quote: Sherry, I am reading “Strong Women Stay Young” and “Strength Training for Women” because I don’t want to join a gym but I want some good workouts to do at home. Both books have some very good directions for things to do at home……I don’t have any goals of heavy lifting…… the books I’m reading talk about strength training contributing to a leaner body, resilience to injury, less likelihood of bad pain and poor posture, higher metabolism, improved bone density, better balance, better flexibility, and treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. The books cite studies that show that you are never too old to start a weight training program and that lifting weights can improve your quality of life into your 80’s and 90’s

Thanks will look for it. I did do the elliptical for about 10 min last nite before the phone rang, the daughter got home, distractions etc....Gonna be a busy weekend and I notice that the scale jumped this morning 1.4 lbs and this weekend is a busy weekend, my cousins 60th birthday with the "taco man" for food, and my DIL baby shower on Sunday.
    Good luck ladies keep moving

Sherry
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    So here I am in Vegas and loving my little beautiful granddaughter. She is such a sweet little baby. I will thoroughly enjoy my week down here.

Got a text from DH this morning that he woke up this morning with Bodi apparently thinking it was a good idea to sleep where mom usually sleeps. Bodi saw no reason to sleep on the floor when there was such a nice place on the bed sitting vacant. So DH woke up to Bodi's face instead of mine. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I guess it sort of shook him a little. He will be joining me here on Saturday.

Well while down here I plan to get out and walk every day and to work on my abs as well. I will do c25k this morning. Have a great day and maybe I will actually have some time later to thoroughly read the posts and catch up with you all.

Much love,
    Robin (without her Bodi or Ritter)
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Ok...I'm 51 and have been struggling with my weight since I was 45. It seems the older I get, the harder it is to get it off. In fact, I really watch what I eat, try to exercise daily...even if it is only for 1/2 hour, and I'm still gaining. With a 4'11" frame, I'm getting dangerously close to 150 pounds. Not the kind of results I'm looking for. Who else out there has been going through this kind of ordeal and what have you done about it? They say my thyroid is normal and I'm suppose to be healthy. But I really don't feel that great. Even with exercise, I feel sluggish. Thoughts and suggestions anyone?

First of all Welcome:flowerforyou:

I too am 4'11" and boy is it hard to do this losing thing...but I've done it before:blushing: and KNOW I can do it again. For me it seems that I have trouble keeping it off for the long haul...I'm hoping that THIS time I will get it right and stop the yo-yo cycle.

I know that I have to watch everything I put in my mouth and count every calorie:wink: and to lose I have to have exercise. It doesn't matter what kind just anything. You may want to check the kind of foods you are eating, are they high in sodium? Are you drinking enough water? Those are really key things to keep track of.

You can add me as friend if you are interested.

Laura:flowerforyou: