WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

Still need to get on the exercise bandwaggon, finding all sorts of excuses not to do it and mostly I just forget - I remember just as I'm getting into bed :ohwell: :embarassed: I can't even get much of a walk at lunchtime because of the snow. I have some non slip snow grabbers that I attach to my boots. They are brilliant in the snow, but quite uncomfortable walking on where the snow has been cleared :noway: This is the only year I've been annoyed at people for clearing the snow from their pathways! :bigsmile: Only managing between 10,000 and 13,000 steps on my ped which is really low for me!

I've found out that I'm better off not having a small piece of chocolate, as it is hard to stick to one piece. At work on Tuesday a colleague put a bar of chocolate on the table for us all to share, once I had a small bit I wanted more. So now I've decided I'll not have any at all (at least at work :bigsmile: ) save my calories for my after tea treat.

I've given myself another goal, I want to be 10 stone (140lbs ?) by end of March. So far I am failing, but I'm back to it and thinking about where to cut calories. I'm not going to eat so much bread, the seeded batch loaf I've been taking for lunch is loaded with calories - but good in fibre etc so I will take sandwiches every other day. Have to think of something to take on the other days, maybe soup would be a good idea seeing as it is so cold. Any ideas ?

Well time I moved off the computer, I'll have to run up and down stairs a few times to get a bit of exercise in.

Have a good Thursday - nearly the weekend yeay.

Viv xx
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Love coming here! Such a fun, thoughtful group of women. I gather inspiration and hope each morning to keep at this despite not loosing ANYTHING yet.

Things I have noticed:

I have more energy!
    My clothes are fitting better!
    My rings are fitting.
    I can actually do lunges!
    I like eating healthy.

Cathy, I'm hoping for a day that needs "back ground music" today. Love that! :drinker:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hello my friends
    I haven't had a spare minute to catch up with posts recently, but I am still keeping the faith and logging daily.
    I'm now working more days at the gallery as well as looking after my gorgeous grand-twins, so I'm pretty busy every day. This means I have less time for dedicated exercise, but I'm running around more - so it is probably balancing out fairly well.

We have three 'big birthdays' coming up this year - first my sister-in-law will turn 60 in July. Then my DH will be 50 in August. Finally, my DS will be 30 at the end of December (how on earth did my baby boy get that old??) Add that to the weddings and we have a lot of events to cope with. I think I will have to start implementing damage limitation into my daily food and exercise plans.
    One thing I am really excited about is the surprise I'm organising for DH - we are going to spend the day as zoo keepers, looking after and feeding big cats (including white lions). Hopefully I will be able to keep it a complete secret from DH until the day.
    I think we may also do another balloon flight - we have done it before, but we may do it somewhere unusual this time. I need to do more research for that one.
    My sister -in -law is getting her dearest wish fulfilled on her actual birthday. She will be watching the finals of the men's weight-lifting at the Olympics. She's a strange girl, but that is what she asked my brother to arrange and he was successful. Chacun à son goût I suppose.
    I don't have a clue what to arrange for my son's 30th. A lot of head scratching will go into that one, I think.
    Anyway ladies, have a great day. I will try to catch up with the posts this weekend.
    Love to you all.
    Amanda x
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Skiing was a blast :happy: – two kids carried out by ski-patrol, both miraculously recovered by the time the bus got back to town. :wink: One discipline issue when a non-skier conned his way on to the main lift – twice! :grumble: I have to admire his confidence, if not his good sense. I only got a few good runs in but it was great to see my students having fun and gaining skills.

MFP definitely over estimates calories burned while skiing, :noway: unless it expects one to discount minutes spent on the ski lift. I was five hours on the hill and by my HRM burned the calories MFP counts in 90 minutes. Which makes sense because what with herding children around and minus the lift rides I was probably only on the slopes for 90 minutes total.

Robin & Kackie: if you find an herbal tea that feels as good as a glass of wine, let me know ASAP! :happy: I have mint, at the moment.

Another thought on the wine reduction – I sometimes (if it’s not a great wine) mix it with sparkling water so my ration lasts longer. When it’s really good wine I decant a 1/2 bottle into a glass jug (like the kind wine is served in at restaurants in S. France and Spain) so that I know exactly how much I’m drinking and stop when it’s empty, just as I would at said restaurant. DH gets the rest, if he’s lucky! :happy:

Shmogo9 – Dessert for breakfast, Oh yea! :laugh:

Salad Sistas – Today will be a pile of greens with arugula (love the spicy flavour), some garbanzo beans, sliced radishes…whatever else I have prepped in the frigde.

AHealthierSuz: No water for two days? You poor thing. :cry: I hope you have access to showers and all the rest somewhere close by.

Husbands who cook? Laura and others, that’s an interesting concept. Mine makes spaghetti sauce a couple of times a year and perogies for Ukrainian Christmas. On the other hand, he eats what I cook & pays me compliments when I present something great, so no complaints either!

Davetecsgirl – Congratulations! Now you are rolling again. :flowerforyou: What do you drive in Bermuda? Somehow I can’t imagine a big car, and I don’t think you need a license for a motor scooter, so it must be something in between.

Virginia, J’Boy is 14 years old in grade 9. My bonus baby, born the year I turned 40.:love: Yesterday we confirmed that he’s 5’9” tall, so clearly he’s going to take after the tall side of the family. He already towers over me (5’1”).

Cathy, how frustrating to be told to eat more, then gain weight, eat less and not loose. :grumble: Sorry you’re having troubled times at work, cut-backs are never comfortable. I am sure you are taking the high road between the two sides.

Michele, your description of politics around the newcomers committee and the homeowners makes them sound like high school heros who never grew out of it! What a pain.

Genealace – Are you using salt on your driveway ice? I hope so! It really speeds up the melting.

Realpure – Yes! More energy and feeling good in the clothes. :happy: Some of my clothes (unfortunately my dress pants for work) are actually too big. I celebrate that, but it’s not a good thing when I’m tripping over my pants when walking down the school hallway!

See you all on the other side,

Nancy

PS I am going to have to get up earlier in the morning to have time to read and reply to your posts! :drinker: Cheers!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

It's sunny here in SE Pennsylvania after some snow yesterday - just enough to make it look pretty!

The exercise is done for today have to get the exercise behind me early in the day or it won't get done.

I will be heading out later to buy a baby gift and a Valentine's Day card for my husband - would like to get him a little gift too, any ideas?????

Have a great healthy day everyone :)

Donna
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh, Barbie, I'm going to steal this affirmation:

"My life today is so great today it should have background music."

Love it, love it, love it!

I am SO like the guy in that old commercial who steps on the scale at the gym, looks determined, steps off and jogs around the gym 3 or 4 times, then steps back on the scale with great anticipation, only to completely fold in discouragement when the number hasn't moved after his 5 minutes of effort! So here I've had two great days without wine (big round of applause, please), with clean eating and great workouts, and I didn't see the 5 lb. loss on the scale this morning that I expected. What, I need to be patient?!! **sigh** Someone here posted a goal to get through her fat head that this was going to take time. Okay, deep breath, invite patience into my life...

I love the salad sistahs and will happily join you. My salad today: spinach, romaine, radiccio, radishes, mushrooms, baby carrots, .5 oz. blue cheese, and tossed in a handful of blueberries that were starting to wilt.

Eileen
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Pleased to report our water is working again and my back is almost completely back to normal. Going to try the elliptical for the first time all week. Treating myself to a full body massage this afternoon. Now to catch up on laundry!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Glad for Thursday...that much closer to Friday!

Eileen - Patience...yep it's hard to come by...but you can do it...we know it takes time and your loss will come:flowerforyou:

Nancy- sounds like your skiing with kids went well and I'm sure that your 90 min was good for your body:happy:

Amanda- WOW planning ahead for the Birthdays, I'm still working on the Anniversarys that were in Dec & Jan...I've been carrying the cards around for weeks now:blushing: I'm sure that my kids will appreciate them whenever I get them mailed:wink:

Viv- I understand your issues with the chocolate on the desk. I have a candy bowl on my desk that I keep there with a sign facing me that says "empty calories- NO"...but my thoughts are that if I see it I KNOW I can have it anytime, but when it's gone then I start craving it because it's gone:noway:

genealace - so glad to hear that your DBF is making progress in his healing:flowerforyou:

Lynn- kisses in the freezer? When I was in my early 30's (back in the dark ages:wink: ) and I was losing after Son #3 I allowed myself 4 kisses a day, and had them on the counter and I would suck one at a time throughout the day and it helped with my craving:love:

kitnessfreeky- Congrats on your loss and making your goal:flowerforyou: Best wishes as you figure out maintenance...for me I failed at maintenance:sad: hence I'm back at MFP, realizing I can't even maintain with out the support here:happy:

FitnessBarbie- sorry about your toe, hope it heals quickly and your are able to get back to your exercises:flowerforyou:

crazysquaw51- eating late, I think that if you plan your meals ahead of time and then you will know what you can have would probably be better, also some healthy snacks might be in order...carrots, celery, hummus:flowerforyou:

davetesgirl- :drinker: great going passing that driving test.

Geri- Welcome Back:flowerforyou:

Donna - :drinker: You can get "in the zone" just keep coming in here with us and we will help you:bigsmile:

Virginia- WOW:noway: you gained an inch in height! That is awesome....last time I was checked I had lost 1/2" and am now 4'10.5"....not a good thing:sad:

Cathy- Your work enviroment sounds challenging, hang in there:flowerforyou:

MEG- :laugh: a tumbler of wine:laugh: that's some glass!

Michele- I'm sure there is NO one as busy as you and you amaze me on how you are able to mix up your exercise...what an inspiration to us:flowerforyou:

Well the IT guy says he needs my computer so I will pop off.

Everyone have a great day, drink your water:drinker: and get up and get moving.

Laura:smile:
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Checking in earlier today, so I don't have the late night scramble to be here.

I use a product on the ice (not salt which isn't good for the garden), but the ice is so thick that it doesn't really have much impression on it. I did another half a hour today and have cleared a little track for the water to drain away - it is melting today and the snow is melting off my neighbour's roof and dripping on to my driveway which makes the ice very slippery.

I had my hair cut today and it feels a lot better. I now have to call to a pharmacy in Quebec to get them to ship some hair colour to the branch in Ontario. Can't get it here, but my hairdresser said he would colour it for me if I can get the stuff. I am absolutely hopeless at anything to do with hair. All mum's fault because she wouldn't let me have my hair cut when I was a teenager, so I never joined in with friends doing hair and trying stuff because I had two long pigtails. May hair was so long I could sit on it. When I was about 15 I pulled the two plaits to the front, measured a foot up from the bottom and then cut. By the time she had straightened it, my hair was a little longer than shoulder length but she still made me have it in two braids every day to go to school.

Popped in to see DBF late this morning. He had been up and had used a regular walker and the nurses got him out of bed for lunch and that seemed to be a lot better even than yesterday.

Have my knitting group meeting this evening and also my lace group monthly meeting, so I'll visit him again later and then go and meet up with two lots of friends.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in today to say hi! I am pretty busy, and I need to pick up 3 grandsons after work to watch for a while. It will be the first time for the youngest to stay with me. He will be 2 months old this weekend. We'll see if I can manage to fix dinner with a 6 year old, 3 year old, and infant around. It's been years since I tried that! Hope you are all having a great Thursday! Mary
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I posted this in the fitness forum but thought I would do it here too. You don't need to reply both places.

Hubby and I just got our Silver Sneakers cards and are wondering if it's worth joining some programs. We have a treadmill and weight bench at home that I (not so much hubby) use regularly so I'm not sure if I want to join a group thing. Also has anyone joined the online Silver Sneakers program and if so have you found it helpful? Thanks.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon All,

fitnessfreeky- Lol. Your husband sounds like mine. He goes to the gym 1 night a week and thinks this is good exercise! He also thinks that eating healthy foods is the key to weight loss- without paying attention to serving size and number of healthy snacks.

davetecsgirl- Congratulations on passing your test

Vivginia- I wish I could find a lost inch!

Laura- I like sign that you put on your desk candy bowl.

Meg- you are right, reading is a good way to end the day. Sometimes I fall asleep too quickly though

Genealace- It always feels so good to get a hair cut. I have an appointment next week, and I can't wait!

Fitnessbarbie- Hope your toe heals quickly

I had a dr appt today and he removed the drains from my stomach. Yea! I no longer have balls! I can now resume walking! I know I should be grateful, but I really want to get back to the gym. The dr said it will probably be 4 more weeks. Yikes! My arms and legs will turn to mush! I will make DH take a walk with me when he gets home from work. Though I could go by myself, I feel guilty not taking the dog and if my 70 pound dog pulls me, I could be in trouble.

I've been thinking over this wine thing. We went out to dinner last night with some friends who just came in from Florida. I did have a glass of wine. So, I decided that maybe I would limit my wine drinking to one glass when I go out to dinner or if I have someone over. I just will not drink wine when I am by myself! (DH doesn't count because he doesn't drink)
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Also has anyone joined the online Silver Sneakers program and if so have you found it helpful? Thanks.

I've never even heard of it. Now I have to go find it and check it out....
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Also has anyone joined the online Silver Sneakers program and if so have you found it helpful? Thanks.

I've never even heard of it. Now I have to go find it and check it out....

www.silversneakers.com

Check with your insurance provider and find out if they offer a free membership.
  • scompton54
    Options
    I haven't posted this week but I have been working out and eating right, after last week's total failure.

My students write their food safety exam tomorrow and then it's back to the stove.....yippee!

I have joined the teatotallers wagon, too many calories which I would rather eat, and I tend to make bad choices after the wine. I am actually looking forward to weighing in next week because I definitely feel better. I've booked a cross country skiing day for Saturday which should do great things for my calorie count.

I read your posts but just can't answer all of them but you do inspire me!!

regards

Sarah
  • marlouise
    Options
    Hello ladies, just dropping in, put a good day to house cleaning. Hope all is well here.

Marilyn
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Goodness, I went away and came back and had to search to find you guys.... I can't go back and read part two and this new thread and remember everything..... :embarassed: :laugh:

I have two more pounds before I kiss the 240's goodbye. :drinker:

I have started conditioning 2x week, hoping to shape up my shape while losing.

I see blooms on trees, daffodils showing their colors, and the slight yellow dusting of pollen on my car.

It is almost SPRING (at least in Alabama) *jumping up and down with joy*
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Today I did 45 minutes of TamLee Webb's DVD "I want that body" then took a 1 hr line dance class. A man from the Newcomers was talking a lot about this place that sold bulk foods, so I thought I'd stop in there. I did find a few things that I like, some things they just didn't have. Oh well, it was interesting anyway. I'll probably go back but not that real real often. Tomorrow...water aerobics

marcelynh - you're well on your way to achieving your goal of running and congrats on your other goal!

Nancy - so glad you had a good time skiing and that those kids weren't hurt badly. What kind of pierogi does your husband make? I usually make cheese ones each year. This past year I overbought the cheese. It's just too expensive so I froze the cheese, I'm going to try making the pierogi again but this time with defrosted cheese. Wonder how that'll work out? Oh, the homeowners assoc is decent, not real restrictive, they are decent people. Sometimes it takes a while to get something done, but that's not a real biggie. To me, tho, the politics at the Newcomers are something else. I never really realized it until I volunteered to be on the nominating committee. You can be assured that I will NOT do it again, I have no desire to deal with this bs (excuse my language). To me, I would rather think about the group's future, but there seem to be people who only want what's good for them. Well, in the end, it'll come back to bite them.

I have one pair of exercise pants that need to be taken up another inch and really are too big on the sides right now. But they're just for exercising in, so I'm not really worried about what I look like in them.

I ordered a bathing suit with this lady at the Y, she sent in the orders to this place in NY. I ordered it in Nov, still haven't received the bathingsuit. Looked on the BBB website, this company is rated F. Lucky me. Well, it's only $49. But I did make a complaint to the BBB, and supposedly the company is going to be sending the bathing suit. Really, it's not so much the money as the principal. Then they send me this (to me, anyway) song and dance letter about how the owner had cancer that required immediate treatment (doesn't all cancer?). If I don't get the bathingsuit by this Mon., I'll write back to the BBB saying that I never received it. I do hope it comes real soon, my one bathing suit is wearing out. If not, I guess I'll have to buy a new one (groan...that probably means I'll have to pay full price). I guess legally she could be liabel for all the money, she was acting as an agent for the company by giving out the order forms and taking the money and sending it in. But she doesn't see it that way, and to me I'm not going to cry over $49.

Donna - what part of PA are you in? We moved from Kennett Square

Suz - so glad you're better. I'm going to get a massage tomorrow.

Laura - Oh, I think Barbie has me beat in the busy department...but thanks for the compliment.

frogmama - you're lucky your husband even goes to the gym! I remember once when I was working at the Y, Vince had to pick me up. It was real cold, in the middle of winter. I told him to come in and sit at one of the tables in the lobby. Do you know that he wouldn't even come in the door? He just sat in the car!

I have an appt next week to get my reclast (the insurance co. FINALLY preapproved it! I think maybe my hounding them and the MD here had something to do with it), the next day I get my hair colored and then trimmed. Can't wait.

I never hear of online Silver Sneakers. Our Y does have the Silver Sneakers program.

Sarah - have fun on your skiing trip!

Going to post this then take a shower and watch some TV Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good Evening friends...

Genealace & Viv...I remember the days of snow and ice, and ice, and ice from my 25 years of living in upstate NY. I have to admit I don't miss it a bit. I do love the "snowstorms" we get in SC...they come, they shutdown the city for 24-48 hours, and it's gone. Just don't try to buy any bread or milk when there is a storm watch in the south!:noway:

Realpure...I so agree with your comment "I like eating healthy". I am so much more aware of what goes into my mouth, as well as how much of it. It's starting to feel more like a lifestyle change than a diet.

Amanda...your surprise for your husband sounds amazing! I'm sure he'll be thrilled, and you will have a blast as well.

Nancy...what a fun time it sounds like you had. As far as the calorie estimates for skiing...my opinion is "they are the experts"....I came to this conclusion when I put in 2.5 hours of vigorous cleaning and was awarded a whopping 870 calories. The thing that is important is that you are moving...
    :smile:
    Donna... I am finding that I am really liking my early a.m. (5:00) treadmill time. I find I am more energized to start the day, and my appetite seems to be less. :happy:

Eileen...I need to post the WW spinach/strawberry salad recipe I have. Always receive compliments on it. I enjoy the ideas I get from the other "salad sistas"!:wink:

Suz...so glad to hear you are getting back on track...and you earned that massage my dear...back problems really stink.:flowerforyou:

Laura...It's now getting close to TGIF and one thing I've found is that the days and weeks and years go faster as I get older. Think about it...if you look at your life as a pie...the older we get the slices of pie are getting smaller (which I interpret as passing quicker). Remember when you were a kid, and it seemed like your birthday would never get here? Well now they seem to come to quickly!!:tongue:

Genalace...when I was a kid I would have been oh so jealous of your long hair. My mom kept my hair cut short in a "Pixie Cut"...and I remember coming home from a haircut in tears because it was so short. I would have traded with you in a heartbeat. :heart:

Mary...hope you afternoon with the grandkids was wonderful...can't image that it would be anything but.:bigsmile:

Frogmama...Glad to hear that you are mending well...I laughed at your comment about no longer having balls...:bigsmile:

Issyfit...Never heard of Silver Sneakers. I relate to your comment about joining a "group thing". Through my employer I have a membership to the company fitness center for hubby & I for $6/month...can't remember the last time I was there...although it did come in handy when our power was out for 4 days due to a storm, and I wanted a HOT SHOWER! I guess that counts as being at the fitness center. :huh:
    Sarah...It sounds like you have rebounded this week with flying colors. Kudos to you! I used to love cross-country skiing when we lived in NYState...just a great way to be in nature, as well as burn calories.:bigsmile:

Marilyn...don't forget to count your cleaning as exercise..MFP does!:laugh:

Mukamom...oh yeah...the pollen...I noticed it yesterday because when I came out of work, a cat had left it's pawprints in my yellow pollen. The bad thing is that once it starts...my allergies start, and it really is not fun.:sick:

Michele...just be careful exercising in those "too-big" exercise pants...we don't want any accidents from them falling off of you! Good luck with your bathing suit adventure. :cry:

To those I missed thanks for being here and sharing ... I get motivation from all of you. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

TGIF tomorrow...it's off to bed for me:yawn:
    MEG
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    What a week. It's not over yet but I don't have to work until Sunday so tonight is my Friday! You can bet I'm having a glass of wine or two - I eat fairly low cal in order to allow for it, usually! :drinker:

Salad Sistas are doing a good job for the most part, but could be better. We lose track and fall into taco-ville and pizza-land all too easily. I'll have my salad tonight with dinner. Had a bean tostada for lunch, but managed to pile on lots of lettuce. :wink:

What a fun group of gals. I read most posts, wowie. I'm so impressed with everyone! We all have good days and bad, it's par for the course, but I see so many are trying trying trying to stay focused and heading towards their goals. That's what counts. Little by little we'll all get there.

Stay positive. Stay on track. I read somewhere we should UNDEREAT (never less than 800 cals) for 5 days, then eat NORMAL for 2. That's a good way to look at it, don't you think? Seems it doesn't matter how much I exercise, I don't lose weight unless I stay around 1200 calories. Might have to try a few days of 800! Not sure I'm capable LOL

:flowerforyou:
    :^) jb