WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• mammaj59
    Options
    I am here because I know that I have not been so unmotivated in years. Every year I lose and gain. Its well over 500 lbs now over 20 some years. I have lost anywhere from 80 to 15. Just can not seem to find the strength to fight this weight. I would like to just focus on one small thing and do it right now it is the sugar I eat that is a issue and lack of excersice for health reasons. It really boils down to making it work one thing at a time. God knows I know how. Also knows why I am struggling now. Got to get a grip. Thanks for your sharing.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Found your challenge yesterday. Here are my current goals.

Water - 5 glasses a day - This is an improvement for me.
    aerobic exercise
    strength exercise - one each day
    housework - 1 hour weekdays
    Stop procrastination - I have a backlog of small projects that I have put off. It's just lazy, and I need to address it.
    Log calories and under budget - I gained this weight by over-eating 50 to 100 calories a day. So deficit of 100 or more is my goal.

You seem like a nice group. Nicde to have friends to share the journey with. Have a good Tuesday.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome all you newcomers. This is a great group and we all keep each other motivated.

I am pleased to announce (big drum roll please) that I lost 3.4 this week. Not sure how I got such a big loss, but I'll take it. My cords are certainly feeling a lot looser.

DBF did 120m walk today so he is feeling pleased with himself. He is waiting for a geriatric rehab assessment, which would let him move out of the heart institute into a rehab bed where he will be encouraged to do a lot more for himself. He has now got rid of all wires and attachments except for the catheter which he still has because he can't get out of bed on his own and therefore can't get to the loo in time. I'm hoping that will be gone soon as he gets stronger.
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,

Just having a nice lazy time reading through all of the posts, it´ll be great when I am fit and well again and can contribute a bit more by telling you all what I´m up to in the way of exercising etc.

I have been doing really well despite my lovely husband being in control of the cooking and eating healthily but then a friend visits and brings me the biggest slice of victoria sponge cake to make me feel better! Ah well I had to eat it, didn´t want to offend lol!

Have a great evening or day depending on where you all are in the world.

Angie :bigsmile:
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would love to join the women 50 years +! My goals for this month, are to keep up my new found exercise videos and continue to drink 8 glasses of water, wine only on weekends and watch my calorie intake by logging in to mfp daily!!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My goals for February are:
    - To keep my exercise at more than 6 hrs a week
    - To keep my intake of calories at 1200 a day
    - To lose 5 pounds
    -
  • DarleneBDA
    DarleneBDA Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Another great day. Went for another driving lesson.. ..:frown: A bit nervous about my driving test tomorrow............
    Have been eating properly all day... and got a work out in..... and did a mini challenge of how many push-ups I can do... I did 18.

Challenge yourself... How many push-ups can you do.

Hope you all have a Fab day!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep smilin:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies...well I was down 2.4 pounds for my first "official" Weiht Watchers weigh-in. The trouble is that I now seem to have 3 weigh-ins...My Shedding Pounds for Hounds weigh-in, my MFP weigh in and my WW Weigh-in. Guess I'll have to slide a couple around to get them all on the same day. I am considering my start date 1/3/2012, as that was the beginning of my journey with the hounds.

It was another gorgeous day here. Daffodils are out, and crocuses are peaking through the ground. It's been such a mild winter...I'm worried about what summer might bring.

Sounds like all are doing well, and thanks for the motivation!

MEG
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Good evening all. I've been least-in-sight I know. I'm sorry. I've been feeling mopey and a little down still. Much better today.

From the "Oh, for crying out loud" files: About two months ago I decided it was safe to get my engagement ring sized, replace my wedding ring lost early on in my loss, and put them back on (I missed them soooo much). I got them sized just a little snug and thought I was golden. Today, I took them both back off again until I can get them sized down even further. A bummer in a way, but kind of cool that I've shrunk that much the last two months.

All the new faces and names - welcome! There are too many of you the last few days to greet in person but I'm glad each one of you is here.

Pam3 - So glad you're feeling better!

msh0530 - Great report yesterday! Sounds like you're right on track this month.

Cheryl - Hope the surgery went well and you're back with a good report soon.

genealace - Wow! Sounds like your DBF is making great strides. Not fast enough for either of you, I'm sure, but every update from you I read now he seems to be doing better. Keeping you both in prayers.

MacMadame - I'm so sorry your recovery is going more slowly than you hoped, but it sounds like you are recovering! Hopefully you'll be able to exercise soon.

Tonight, treating myself to frozen yogurt. I have a small bowl with no toppings and it only costs me 110 calories. Lots o' carbs, though.

Happy Tuesday!

Virginia
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Good evening, Dear Ladies!

Welcome to all of the new members! I will try to do better responding to you individually as I get to know you!

Virginia: Glad that you are feeling less mopey and how wonderful that you now have smaller wedding rings...and smaller you!!!

Barbie: Good for you for getting your weight-training in...that too is a goal for me. So far, I do best when I use Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, which incorporates weights and then add some additional ones to it. I need to do more though!

Meg: Congratulations on the weight loss. And I too worry about what summer will be like when we aren't having winter in winter!

I have one more day to pack and get my house here closed up so I can fly out before dawn on Thursday to MT. I will be glad to see DH who has been there a week...and our youngest son, who will be there for a few days. I hope the snow stays on the mountain for me to get some good skiing in! It's been so warm here, it's hard to think it is winter anywhere!

I am glad that I can track food on my cell phone and PLAN to do that while traveling and while away. Take care everyone!
    Kackie:heart:
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous day here in WA. state. Looking forward to golf today, been way too long. :happy:
    The weather the last week has been so awesome. Started sprinkling while I was pruning what
    I could reach right before dark. I live in SW WA.
    Joyce
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP Peeps!!
    Hope you are all having a good week.....tomorrow is hump day. Going for an opthamology test tomorrow at Mayo in Scottsdale. Wish me luck.

It's nice to see so many replies here. This is a great sight. Think healthy and thin!!

Bye till tomorrow. Barb
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Realpure: "Lost another of my "wong direction" pounds! " Too funny! (By the way, would someone tell me how you copy a quote and paste it into your reply? Can't figure that out.)

Mammaj, your post sounded so sad. You're right, just choose one change and really commit yourself to it. You can do this!

Virginia, you are such an inspiration.

Well, yesterday was back to spin class after months and months away, and tonight was back to yoga. Yoga, wow! I don't know why I dread going when I always feel so fantastic afterwards.

I noticed a few people here talking about limiting wine to weekends. I am commiting to join you. Some days it seems I exercise my butt off in the morning, only to drink those calories and then some in the evenings. What a crazy cycle. I'm focusing on other ways to relax at the end of the day. I'm sorry, but I can't remember who posted about sitting in the kitchen with a glass of wine discussing the day with her husband. That's been my routine, too, and I don't have any suggestions for reasonable alternatives but am with you in spirit.

Eileen
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A perfect nite, my grandson who is 3 called today to see if I was home and not working because he really needed to see his grammie today. My son brought him over after work and then we all went to dinner. I love that little boy, and can't wait to meet his little sister in afew more weeks.

More water tomorrow.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous day here in WA. state. Looking forward to golf today, been way too long. :happy:
    The weather the last week has been so awesome. Started sprinkling while I was pruning what
    I could reach right before dark. I live in SW WA.
    Joyce

It was a beautiful day on the Olympic Peninsula....started out at 28 degrees when I walked the dogs before daylight and was up to 51 degrees after lunch when DH went to play golf for the first time since autumn.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: wine isn't a problem for me....I don't drink at all....but walnuts, dates, and raisins are my big weakness.....I guess I may have to ban them from the house along with all the other things I can't control (cashews, peanuts, peanut butter, granola, yogurt,.........):laugh:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

I noticed a few people here talking about limiting wine to weekends. I am commiting to join you. Some days it seems I exercise my butt off in the morning, only to drink those calories and then some in the evenings. What a crazy cycle. I'm focusing on other ways to relax at the end of the day. I'm sorry, but I can't remember who posted about sitting in the kitchen with a glass of wine discussing the day with her husband. That's been my routine, too, and I don't have any suggestions for reasonable alternatives but am with you in spirit.

Eileen

That was me Eileen, and thanks for addressing the wine issue.

My husband is quick to offer me some wine when I get home from work (with full wineglass in hand I might say). Tonight I got annoyed :mad: :mad: . It's tough enough to lose weight as it is and refusing a kind offer is even harder. In addition, he had made ham and chickpeas for supper. Ham is full of sodium and while chickpeas are very healthy, they also pack a lot of starch and make me bloat. So now I seem ungrateful, but I am not. I just want him to get the message that, since he is the one who makes the food, the ingredients need to be lean with lots of veggies. And I am hungry when I get home and vulnerable to bad choices. Of course, he is a skinny ****.

Oh, I am just ranting now . Good night everyone. I will be in a better mood tomorrow.

Renny
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Realpure: "Lost another of my "wong direction" pounds! " Too funny! (By the way, would someone tell me how you copy a quote and paste it into your reply? Can't figure that out.)

Eileen

Hi Eileen, To add a quote, click on the Quote button directly below the person you want to quote. The text box will appear with their text. You can comment below the "Quote" marks.

I'm having the same issue in the evening. I have been logging my day early to try to stay clean. I think that wine is part of my problem too. I suspect my body is seeing it as sugar. Then I hold on to extra water weight too. Love wine....
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Have a happy, healthy hump-day! I think we need definitely need to start a no-weekday-wine pact. I'm the first to commit. I am much better than I was...one glass of red wine with dinner...but I don't really need that. Renny...I understand your feelings about your hubby's loving gesture...we've changed to Cranberry juice (diet is 5/ cal / glass low-sugar is 50 I think)...and it's red! Would he be up to a walk with a glass of cranbery!

Gotta go...I get started on posting and I lose track of time. Darn work anyways...

Later Ladies!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,

happy wednesday,...i have to confess that yesterday WAS A VERY BAD DAY, i started out well logged my bfast and lunch, but started nibbling during the day, while going through pics, papers and stuff to box or throw out, all i know is that late in the afternoon i made a sheet cake:explode: (KILL ME NOW)i had FOUR small pieces(i cut the cake into 28 pcs)and i froze the rest....i had my plan dinner, but GOSH those 4 pieces of cake put me over....i realized that the emotional roller coaster of going through pic and cards, of happy times, made me sad(i found a few pads with notes to my ex-husband that we would write notes to each other)....so with that off my chest, today is a new day, logged in my bfast, lunch, and i plan a healthy dinner, no workouts today, bible study and errands to run......thanks for listen....
    something else that is going now is, i have being having heart burn the last few nights, i need to google some remedies....

have a lovely day all:flowerforyou:

@virginia, i am sorry that you are sad about smokey, but i totally understand ...a pet becomes such a part of the family and we love them so....i know i would be very sad when our doggies pass ...feel better soon
  • Cando055
    Cando055 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Oh, Renny, that is SO my story! Although my husband and I work together, he usually gets home earlier than I do and plans and cooks our dinners. Although he no longer makes me a drink (at my request), out of habit I usually grab a glass of wine and sit down with him before I even change my clothes. Although he's got about the same amount of weight as I do to lose, it always comes off him much faster than it does me and with a lot less effort. I really get your frustration last night. I'm trying to lovingly convince my husband that a collards cooked up with a ton of bacon is not what I had in mind when I suggested we eat more fresh greens! I really love your comment about being more susceptible to bad choices at that time of day. You're so right. It's not just that it's under our noses -- of course we have a choice -- but it does create more of a challenge.

Realpure, I think you're right about your body treating wine as sugar. I know last night, when I did not indulge, I had an unusual craving for something sweet before I went to bed. I had a cup of herbal tea, instead, but I know that my body was looking for its evening sugar jolt.

Mega, I've never tried sugar free cranberry juice. Does it have artificial sweeteners? I have tried a small amount of unsweetened pomegranate juice with club soda. Okay, but no substitution for the real thing!

Pam, good for you for freezing the rest of that sheet cake! What a smart thing to do.

Can I tell you guys again how glad I am to have discovered this group?!

Eileen