WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Can anyone in the group recommend an exercise DVD? I was thinking about the Jillian Michaels one everyone talks about (30 day shred) but not sure if it would be out of my league.

Hi Bisland,

i´ve only just joined the group on here too. 30 day shred is a good one as it has 3 levels, on all 3 levels there are easier options to follow. The secret is to do as much as you can and build it up gradually, Jillian can be a hard task master and you will feel like punching the screen at times lol!. There´s a 30 day shred group on here and they have great results so take a look if you have time. I´m just recovering from a hysterectomy so not able to do it for a while but looking forward to getting back to it.
    Good luck :bigsmile:
  • fibrogirl
    fibrogirl Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Angie - take it easy as much as possible - I ended up with an incisional hernia after my hysterectomy because I dd the stairs too soon :frown: slow and steady wins the race gf....:flo

Just catching up on all of the posts, thank you so much for your comments it´s nice to get a reminder to take it easy especially when you feel that you can do more than you should!
    Angie x
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bisland: I like the Jillian Michaels DVD too, but recommend starting WITHOUT any weights until you get the moves and balance down...then add VERY light weights. It does help with the middle age middle! I also like Leslie Sansome's 4 fast miles. I use them mixed in with my outside walking days. Good luck!

Mary: I love board games too! We always play when we have a group of friends and family. What are your favorites? I love Balderdash

Angie: Yes, please take it easy and hope your recovery is fast! I'm sure you are glad to have that behind you

Michele: If you aren't feeling sick after eating gluten maybe it is something else? Are you eating anything you usually don't? And I am so sorry about your DS...

Jane: I hope that you get some relief from your sore knee!!!

I did start my taxes yesterday. At least getting some of it done makes me feel less stressed about it. I HAVE to get all I can together before I leave for MT this Thursday since I won't come back until April!!!!!! Pressure!

HAve a good day, Dear Ladies! Kackie
  • mynyddisamrs
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone .......

:flowerforyou: Just to say Hello , welcome all the "Newbies" too.

Not much happening today. Tomorrow will be a bit of a whirlwind though. Up early to take the car in for the handbrake to be "Done"
    The car's under warranty and the brake's been feeling weird for a while. Finally got DH to book it in! While that's in the garage I'm doing a mystery shopper eye test. There's a fee paid for this to cover the cost but as I get a free eye test (60+) anyway ...it'll pay for the bus ride to town and petrol etc.. I'll get 10% off glasses if i want / need to get any too.Then .....we'll do some shopping ...methinks we might need some more thermals to take on holiday and maybe ...:bigsmile: other items may find their way into the basket.. And then ...:drinker: may even get some lunch out. It'll be park 'n ride bus back to the garage , home and DH will be off to work.

:flowerforyou: so ...it's
    BFN
    Jackie
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Madonna inspired my am work out! Amazing and 53! Great game.

Happy Monday Girls. Let's get that number moving down this week.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning ladies,

hope you all had a great weekend.....feeling MUCH better, first solid foods yesterday, and i really don't think i stomach agree with the dinner portion(grilled salmon and sweet potato mashed)anyways, was a productive weekend, my sons got the garage cleared out , after many trips to the dump and the goodwill.....i have a weight training session today, but will not do any additional workouts today...want to tread lightly......then home to continue clearing out stuff from the drawers and cabinets of the furniture that will be going on sale....have a lovely day

@nancy ...glad you enjoy spinning...i too suffered from the pain in the bums and the gel seats do help
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    Kind of late to the party but glad to be here. Thanks for starting this thread Barbie!

My goals for February-
    To chose healthy foods and stay within my calorie range
    To drink 8 glasses of water a day
    To exercise at least 6 days/week and focus on cardio to burn at least 3500 calories for the week
    To reach a mini-goal of a 20 pound loss by the end of the month

Edited to add that last week I joined the thread for the 3500 calories burned by exercise thread and it was a great motivator!

As far as a change in attitude, I need to work on making peace with the bathroom scale. I gauge so much on the number every Monday and while I don't want to dismiss that it is a measure of reaching my goals it shouldn't have as much power over me as it does.

Have a great week everyone!
    Donna
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    G'morning, happy Monday. 'Tis a beautiful morning here in Portland, I'll be taking a nice hike along the river later.

Dang, weekends are so hard. But it was a fun one, had a little dinner party on Sat, laughed and laughed, drank way too much and was still quite tipsy until almost noon yesterday. Felt lots better after taking 2 long walks in the fresh air and sunshine. Last night I drank tea. This week after work I'll be having fizzy water with a splash of POM or squeeze of lime. Bottle of wine, fruit of the vine, go away and leave me alone, lol.

Salad Sistas are lighting a big fire under their own rear-ends this week, promising to get back on track with having heaps of greens & vegs for lunches. It simply must happen. Anyone can join in, it's not an official group per se, just a daily salad challenge for us sistas. Spinach & romaine for me today, with tomato, red onion, celery, cauliflower and carrot, low-fat bleu cheese dressing and half tuna sandwich on the side.

I'd best get rolling, lots to do this morn. Good day! Drink your water. :drinker:

:^) jb
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Well I went and did it! Yesterday I ran my first half-marathon (13.1 miles) and finished! My goal was to do it in less than 3 hours and I slipped in with five minutes to spare.

It was my first race and what a race to start out with. augh! Absolutely horrible conditions. It was about 50 degrees (that was okay), it rained the entire race (so-so but doable) and the wind blew about 20 mph through the entire course (NOT okay). But I survived the Galveston Mardi Gras Half Marathon! :smile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I hope that you are having a great Monday! Or is that an oxymoron??

Anyway, time for my first weekly goal report that I promised to bore you with to keep me accountable. Feel free to go on to the next person's post ~ I won't be offended and I am sure that it is much more interesting! :laugh:

My report on the first 5 days of February is pretty favorable. Apparently, so far anyway, setting these goals is keeping me on track. I have successfully logged every bite, lick or sip of the day all 5 days, putting me well ahead on my goal of 21 days this month. I did click complete diary (the step I tend to skip when I am feeling myself get a little out of hand in the evening.) All 5 days were within the calorie range that I committed to, 1200-1700 (even Super Bowl Sunday!) and my average intake was 1536.
    My goal of exercising at least 21 days is also progressing nicely. I exercised 4 days, my totals being 220 minutes and 6233 calories burned, per MFP calculations as I don't have a HRM.
    I did sneak my measurements in (on the 5th - the deadline that I gave myself). I didn't enjoy this, as I knew they were bigger than my last recording, but now that I have forced myself to do it, I look forward to progress. I still need to create a formal journal for this.
    I haven't updated my profile yet, but I gave myself the entire month to accomplish that, and I am indeed the queen of procrastination, so don't look for it too soon!
    I printed, colored, and placed a picture of the Kansas State Seal, which contains my motto of the month, "Ad Astra Per Aspera," on my desk at work so I have been thinking of that and focusing on it.
    And, last but not least, I just finished my first weekly goal report! So, I have come to my first Monday in fine shape goalwise, and feel good about it. My thought is that success in small steps breeds big success, so I will test my theory this month.

Boring report done, you can all wake up now! Thanks for listening, or at least pretending to do so!! Mary
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Well I went and did it! Yesterday I ran my first half-marathon (13.1 miles) and finished! My goal was to do it in less than 3 hours and I slipped in with five minutes to spare.

It was my first race and what a race to start out with. augh! Absolutely horrible conditions. It was about 50 degrees (that was okay), it rained the entire race (so-so but doable) and the wind blew about 20 mph through the entire course (NOT okay). But I survived the Galveston Mardi Gras Half Marathon! :smile:

Big big CONGRATULATIONS! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So glad to find this group, but timing is everything. I'm having minor surgery tomorrow to see if I need major surgery. I don't know where this'll go. Save me a spot. I'll be back sooner or later. Cheryl
  • chedainc
    Options
    How wonderful! About to be 52 on 3/17. Last month my goal was to exercise 4-5 x's a week and also lose 10 lbs. I'm happy to say I met that goal.
    I want to lose another 10 this month. My other goal is to try to not let drama from other people in my life affect me in what I do and eat. Good Luck to All!! :smile:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Blue Sky Monday~

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I will confess I didn't get all my foods logged:grumble: and only managed to do my floor exercises, but I'm thinking it was better than nothing.

I have been surfing my cookbooks and seeing how to switch some to low fat, lower calories...I do so love cooking:bigsmile: just wish I had more time.

My one great move of the weekend was Saturday night, we went to friends for dinner and she cooked a pretty healthy meal, I brought my low fat/low cal angel food pineapple cake and when we were playing cards and her husband put the M&M's by me I didn't even touch them:bigsmile: It's the small things that make each day a success.

Yesterday we went and saw "One for the Money" wanted to see if they got the characters right as hubby and I have read all the books and we came away feeling like they did a pretty good job. Then headed to the store as I had some things I wanted that one of my cookbooks calls for and I'm wanting to experiment. Then home to watch the Super Bowl and hubby had requested pizza...thank goodness I had my "low fat low cal White Pizza" and all the ingredients to make it...and it really was good:drinker:

Well I have lots to do here today, they are saying we are expecting two small snow storms tonight and tomorrow...but after the 20" 1-2" sounds like nothing:wink:

Everyone have a good day, drink your water:drinker: :drinker: it really does make a difference in the losing process and let's all get up and get moving.

Laura:smile:
  • Pam3
    Options

AWESOME!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies,

Sunshine and blue skies for the 2nd day in a row. Whoohoo!
    Pam- glad to hear you are feeling better
    Michele- I know how much you must miss your DS
    JB- Love the Salad Sistas! I'm gonna try to be part of that group, as my fresh veggies are not what they should be
    Marcelynh- congratulations on completing your half marathon
    msh- Congratulations on making this past week a successful one. I too like the idea that success in small steps will bring big success.
    Cheryl- good luck on your surgery

Hope everyone has a good week
  • DarleneBDA
    DarleneBDA Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies... Or should I say good afternoon. I hope everyone had a great weekend. I sure did and went out with the hubby and had one beer--- Corona light (99 cals) not bad at all.........

A busy week for me as I am having driving lessons and taking my driving test on Wed( Moved to Bermuda with the hubby).. Bermuda doesnt except any drivers licenses, so we have to get a bermudian one. A few things different for me... they drive on the opposite side of the road... the cars are smaller and the roads are NARROW... Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Another great start to another great week....

Eat smart and work out hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your week Ladies!!!

Darlene
  • Pam3
    Options
    So glad to find this group, but timing is everything. I'm having minor surgery tomorrow to see if I need major surgery. I don't know where this'll go. Save me a spot. I'll be back sooner or later. Cheryl

good luck with your surgery, hope you get the results you want....keep us posted:flowerforyou:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Hope it goes well.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Good luck Cheryl! Hope you don't need the major surgery!!

I'm back from 10 days of vacation! I'm so proud!!! I really didn't have much opportunity to actually log my daily food intake, but I'm happy to report I really stayed on track!! The scale was 161.1 this morning, up only a tad from 160.4! I walked a whole bunch and didn't feel at all deprived. As a matter of fact, I ate consciously, enjoyed small treats here and there and had such a great visit with family and friends!! Back to the grindstone today, and back to logging too! I'll set some goals for this month and post later.

Hope you are all well!