WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    lesle - welcome. I hope you changed doctors!!!

Welcome mamafred. My hubby and I will be married 34 years in October!!!!

Boy, I must say, I'm glad that I don't have the option of getting all the posts in email form! My email box would be overflowing!!!!

Did an hour of HIIT today, then played mahjongg (I maj'd once) then bowled 6 games. Tomorrow I'll do yoga.

There's a sign at the humane society. It says "cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one" and that is so true.

The last time we went to Sam's they had samples of either Baby Bel or Laughing Cow with this pretzel crisp thing. I asked her if I could get just the cheese, and not the pretzel. She gave me a whole wedge of the Laughing Cow and 1/2 of the baby Bel.

I was supposed to go for my reclast infusion Monday. They just called to say that the insurance co. hasn't given its OK, they need something from the doctor. Even if he gets to it asap, we all know how very fast insurance companies work. Therefore, I rescheduled it for the next week. If the hosp. gets my certification earlier, hopefully I can get the reclast next week. If not, I have an appt for the Mon of the following week (12). I really don't like waiting until the last minute, which is why I made this appt weeks in advance.

Nancy - I need to make a pot of soup for myself. When the Newcomers go bowling, I usually have soup for dinner that night. It's filling yet not heavy. Lately, I've been having the Select Harvest, but that's so high in sodium! I really do need to make some soup myself, put it into individual portions, then just take it out when I need it. Thanks for the reminder to make some. Update: found recipes for pumpkin soup, tomato soup, and a lentil soup. Just need to get a few ingredients, so I'll probably make it tomorrow. I'm also going to make these ginger cookies. My hairdresser likes them, and today this lady at the Y who birthday is Wed. told me that ginger cookies are her favorite.

Sherry - there are days when I have lots of calories left over and I'm not hungry. When that happens, I just don't eat just to get the calories up. I know that I'll make up for it another day, that's for sure.

Welcome jhoson

forgmama - you get up at 3:30!!! Yee gads! I don't think I could do that, at least not for more than one night

Pam - feel better fast! Honestly, this period feels like ones that I used to have all the time. It just really surprised me since I haven't had one for at least a year.

issyfit - congrats on the colonoscopy. You know, when I went for mine they weighed me before they did it. I think I only lost something like 2 lbs. I don't know how people will take a laxative to lose weight. I felt so yukky, and for what? Two lousey pounds (which came back on in no time)!

jb - thanks for the recipe for the wontons. Can you substitute anything else for the rice vinegar? Maybe is there something you can add to white or cider to give it the flavor?

Eileen - welcome! How long were you in Italy for? Sorry about the broken ankle, that's a real bummer, especially to have it happen when you're on vacation. You WILL do it, and we'll be here to support you all the way.

maureennj - welcome! You must be from NJ, right? What part of NJ?

kc - how wonderful that you went ice skating! I remember the first time I went roller skating (in many moons). I'd been exercising regularly so I figured I'd be OK. No dice! Boy, did I feel my legs the next day. Same thing with horseback riding. The next day I REALLY felt my inner thighs.

butterflywolf - welcome!

Virginia - I know how it feels. When Cocoa was hit by a car, he was only 7, so I totally understand your feeling. When we buried Cocoa, know what we did? I planted one buttercup for each year he'd been alive. Since those are the first flowers to bloom in the spring, we always knew where his grave was. Sounds like you have a lovely spot picked out for Smokey

Off to take a shower, watch some television, then beddybye. Hope everyone has a great evening

Michele
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    Again reading this board just makes me feel more motivated. Fridays are our errand day and we had a lot to do today. We ended up going out to lunch.....and I was super hungry. I tried to do the best I could and when we got home, I went to the gym. That is a NSV for me. Tomorrow is a very busy day and I just finished planning out my time and meals (as much as I could....going out with friend's for a birthday lunch and another birthday girl's night tomorrow night!!!). I plan to get to the gym tomorrow morning at 7:30 to keep myself on track.

Virginia...so sorry about Smoky. Our pets hold such a special place in our hearts. My thoughts are with you.

Have a good night,
    Sally
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    issyfit - congrats on the colonoscopy. You know, when I went for mine they weighed me before they did it. I think I only lost something like 2 lbs. I don't know how people will take a laxative to lose weight. I felt so yukky, and for what? Two lousey pounds (which came back on in no time)!

Thanks. Turns out they did weigh me-pretty close to what I expected.
  • fatchops50
    Options
    not quite fifty - yet - in march - so not far - away any one interested being my lost weight buddy

from new zealand - so if your from here that would be good
  • sallypage724
    sallypage724 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone- I turn 50 in February, so I'm motivated to begin AGAIN for the 3rd time the C25K program to get me jogging, and loose 25 pounds. I'd like to see 5 pounds gone in February, and add to the 3 days a week, 30 minute C25K program with several long walks a week. I'm doing 4-6 30 minute dog walks now before dinner per week, hoping to boost metabolism. I lost 4 lbs in Jan.

I'd love to borrow a recipe for a good hearty black or dark bread like pumppernickle or something similar, maybe even gluten free, to try making our bread at home. I'm one of those that can easily give up sweets, but is addicted to pasta, bread and dairy.

I found Dreamfield pasta, that advertises only 5% digestible carbs, good for stabilizing blood sugar levels, and am trying.

I love the iPhone app and am logging all meals and exercise daily. All suggestions welcome!! Thanks for sharing!

Sally
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I had my first colonoscopy about a year ago at age 64......I was so terrified of getting one that I had refused to even discuss it with the doctor........thanks to the encouragement of women on this thread, I got over my terror and finally did it last year......I drank so much chicken broth as part of the prep that my weight was way up because I sam o sensitive to sodium and retain a lot of fluid if my sodium consumption is even slightly high.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: I went to an extra line dance class this afternoon to practice with the group that will be performing twice later this month:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I have a heart rate monitor to measure the calories I burn when dancing, but there is no meter to show how much brain stimulation comes from learning all the new dances:bigsmile:
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    well I feel like this week has been a bust, work lunches were not good choices, so next week taking my lunch each day, even though hard to pass up free food. So again tomorrow is another fresh start goal for next week more exercise healtheir food choices need to measure in about 2 weeks and prob stay of that nasty scale.
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies.

It's a cold day here in London and I am so pleased to have my new, long thermals. Since losing weight I feel the cold so much more. The only time I ever feel truly warm is when I have a hot flush! I've been having hot flushes since I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 32 - it's like a never ending menopause and would be wonderful if it would stop.

My plan today is to have a good stompy walk in Richmond Park before I visit the nursing home. I've put my running on hold as my knees and back are giving me trouble. The arthritis is always worse in the cold weather.

We have got two weddings to go to this year (possibly a third, but no confirmation of that just yet) and I want to try to sort out outfits this weekend. I've got loads of time before the weddings, but like to get organised. It still blows my mind when I try something on and it fits ... all those years when I had to just buy something because I could squeeze into it rather than because it looks good on.

Anyway ladies, I hope you have a good weekend and make healthy choices where possible.

Love to all.
    Amanda x
  • realpure
    realpure Posts: 156
    Options
    Happy Weekend Everyone!

Welcome to all - Hope I have all of you, Sally, Lesilie, mamafred, jhoson, Eileen, Maureenj, butterflywolf! You have found a great place for support and comfort. I'm enjoying getting to know everyone.

AmandaX - Glad your enjoying your long johns. It's been so mild here. No winter to speak of. I started taking Mendapause last month for my many memopause symptoms. It is helping! It is all natural. I'm sure it ships to London too. I bought it direct from Mendapause.

jaks97 -
    That scale isn't my friend right now either. I have a pair of jeans I try on to make me feel motivated. My scale hasn't budged, but I'm determined to stay on track. I can't be the only one who doesn't loose? At least that is my thinking.

Barbiecat; Love dancing! We dance a lot with Just Dance 3, my kids are much better than I am, but it's my favorite wii excercise. Love Costco samples, especially the treats. So much easier to have just one there!

Issyfit - Congrats on your colonoscopy results! Glad you braved it. It is so important to have it done!! My BIL's life was saved by a colonoscopy. He was only 43 when the found cancer. He is alive and doing really well. He is one of my inspirations for eating healthy and keeping my body running as best I can. Hope the sodium leaves you soon.

KC - Ice skating is one of my goals! So impressed!! That is why I'm here. Taking my daugher and her friends this morning. I hope to be out there next year. Such fun!

Michelle,
    Hope your paperwork and insurance gets straightened out. Waiting is so frustrating.

My husband joined me on the fitness and health commitment. He has lost 16 pounds!! I'm so proud of him. I hope it rubs off on me. He already looks so different. Especially his face.

Happy Weekend. - Sarah
  • momtina
    momtina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am searching for a good diet for post menopausal women. I have had my horomones changes 4 times in the last 6 months and have gained 15 lbs. I do exercise every day - I would considerate moderate (walking). I have lost no weight in the last month. I am trying the calorie intake of 1200. does anyone have suggestions.
  • megathome111
    megathome111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Good Morning friends...

Today I see two big benefits from my kidney/liver cleanse. The biggest thing is that I SLEPT ALL NIGHT WOOO HOOO. I did wake up a few times, but fell right back to sleep immediately...then on top of that I am down 3.8 pounds from when I started on Thursday. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and I am thrilled with the results at this point. So, as of today I am down 11.8 pounds since I started my Losing Pounds for Hounds on January 3rd. That's nearly $260 for the senior dog rescue organization I am losing for.

Amanda...have fun trying on outfits...I'm looking forward to doing the same thing in a few months for a wedding we have in May. Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!

Jaks97...great attitude...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and look forward. We will always be challenged to reach our goal...the key is to make them a bump in the road...not a wall that stops us.

Barbiecat...line dancing sounds fun! Once again my whole non-coordination thing might get in the way of that...to say nothing of stage fright!

Hi Sally...ooooh...so with you on the carbs thing. I can walk right past a chocolate cake...but put me in the bread section of a Publix Bakery and LOOK OUT! I wonder if I could make "healthy bread" in my bread machine...will have to check that out, and let you know.

Fatchops50...welcome...this is a grand group of supportive ladies...stick around and you will be so motivated!

Issyfit...Congrats on the Colonscopy results..

Sally...good luck with your birthday celebration dinners...it sounds like you are very motivated to stay on track. I'm finding that I'm motivated to do well, as I don't want to report otherwise to this great group of gals.

Sarah...My husband has joined me in this journey to health as well...it makes it so much easier. He's down 8 pounds, and admits he feels good about it. When he started out, he was a little grumpy, but I kept reminding him it was his choice, and now he's reading labels and shopping healthy. Just one of the million things I love about him.

Virginia...Apparently I missed your initial post about losing Smokey...I am so sorry for your pain. We lost our 17 year old Australian Shepherd, Daisy in September, and our 20 year old cat, Midnite on January 23rd. We have our pets cremated, and one day I will be sprinkled somewhere very special with all of them. Heartfelt hugs to you.

Michele...Hubby & I will be married 34 years in September. Congratulations!

Butterflywolf...You've come to the right place for assistance finding a path to total health both mentally and physically.

Davestecgirl...Bermuda...beautiful. Visited there many years ago, and have always wanted to return. Charming island, low-keyed. Perfect relaxation.

KC...Are you in SC...as I am assuming you are referring to the Charleston Cooper River Run...a short 3.5 hour drive from my home in Greenville, SC. Very cool city.

Momtina...I have been struggling with menopause for the past year, and this site has finally brought me to the place I need to be to deal with it successfully. Hope you have the same success.

We ... well more accurately my husband...is painting the guest bath today. I've done the hard part...picking out new shower curtain, towels, accessories etc :tongue: This morning we are off to Sam's for a few things, some cleaning, and probably a fire in the fireplace this afternoon, as it is kind of damp and chilly here today. After high 60's all week, rainy & 40's is not too pleasant.

Have a healthy day ladies.

MEG
  • pinky211
    Options
    Hi thanks for the invitation. My goal for February are to get started exercising. I started the fitness course two weeks ago and still no exercise. Also to drink 6-8 glasses of water daily and lose 5 pounds in February.
  • battlesp
    Options
    Hi, I am over 50 and just starting to watch my weight and eat right. Honestly I just ignored my weight until I was shopping for an outfit for a special occasion and had to buy a size bigger than I normally wear. I decided I had to do something. I joined the YMCA and I go at least 3 times a week. I only do the treadmill and I tried a kick boxiing class once. I may go back to the kickboxing but I am faithful to the treadmill. My goal for Feb is to walk 3 miles 3 times a week and do the kick boxing class at least once a week.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    good morning all,

i am feeling better today, though still a bit light headed....i am still eating(drinking)soup, crackers and some applesauce...but not much...the feels of foods make my stomach turn...anyways today i am doing some work around the house(the kids are coming over to help with the garage)need to clear stuff out....

to all the newbies, welcome...you have found a wonderful group of ladies, who are supportive and caring...welcome

i hope you all have a great day, and for those football fan go GIANTS!!!!!(i like the pariots, too it was difficult to chose):love:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Spent a very satisfying afternoon cleaning up around our fence line yesterday. Only logged half the time spent out there as exercise so hopefully my calories burned were not exaggerated. Last Spring, having just moved, we were too busy trying to play catch up with the neglected yard to garden, so this year I am especially looking forward to growing my own fruits and veggies. Berry vines and fruit trees have been ordered. Hubby is beginning work on prepping the first of my raised beds so I can get my cool weather and root crops in the ground by the end of the month. Sooooo looking forward to FRESH broccoli! Its going to be so much easier (and tastier) to eat well with fresh produce in our backyard this summer. I told hubby we needed a freezer by July when things really start ripening. :wink:

Heading out shortly to spend the day shopping with girlfriends. Lunching out with them is always a challenge because neither of them are mindful eaters. But we burn loads of calories laughing :laugh: and I plan to wear my Shapeups so I can get the most out of all the walking we will be doing.

:flowerforyou: Hope you all have an enjoyable productive weekend. Check back with you on Monday. :drinker:
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    bump
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    I haven't had that much luck with Brocolli. I live in Zone 4, when should I plant it? I would love some fresh broccoli too.

I have started some Morning Glory seeds inside, they always seem to be going really strong & then they freeze so early in the fall.

I will start my Tomatoes in March, I got so many last year & froze them & I am still using for Spaghetti. A freezer is fabulous.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

We have had a very mild winter here in WNY but the past few weeks have been pretty gray and gloomy. Today, the sun is out. Yea! I had abdominoplasty a week ago so exercise has been out. I'm getting a bit anxious. I'm hoping on getting out today for a brief walk on a paved bike path. The doctor did tell me I should be walking around the house.:bigsmile: So how different can a paved path be?

Michele- Yes, 3:30 is pretty early, but boy is it peaceful. And, the added bonus is that I do not run in to any traffic on my way to work.:laugh: I am a retired high school teacher, and now I work security at the airport on a part-time basis. I work 5-10am 5 days a week. I do enjoy seeing so many people. I am going to be in trouble when I go back to work in 2 weeks. I have been off sick for a week, and already my sleep patterns have changed.Hope your insurance company gets moving.

Virginia- Sounds like you have picked a beautiful resting place for Smokey.

Barbiecat- I know that if I took a dance class, it would really stimulate my brain! What a great physical AND mental exercise!:wink:

Amanda- I also feel the cold so much more now. During my recent hospital stay my temp was 96 and they brought me warmed blankets. They really felt good. We have really had a mild winter, but it has also been damp and rainy. Right now the sun is shinning through the sliding door onto my back and it feels soooo good.

Issyfit- Congratulations that your colonoscopy is over and all went well.

Sarah- It is so nice to hear that your husband has made the commitment for a healthy life style along with you. Mine says he is, but somehow just consuming protein shakes and exercising once a week, isn't quite the same as my vision of a healthy life style. He is great at telling me the health benefits of many foods and supplements but doesn't seem to understand that serving size and the number of healthy snacks consumed makes a difference.

Have a wonderful Saturday everyone.:flowerforyou:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Issyfit - Congrats on your colonoscopy results! Glad you braved it. It is so important to have it done!! My BIL's life was saved by a colonoscopy. He was only 43 when the found cancer. He is alive and doing really well. He is one of my inspirations for eating healthy and keeping my body running as best I can. Hope the sodium leaves you soon

Thank you and thanks to everyone else too. I'm glad your BIL caught it in time, my Dad didn't. He was one of those men who would never go to the doc, probably because he didn't want to get weighed, very sad.
  • thinbluebird
    thinbluebird Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just joined the site yesterday. I'm 51 and I live by myself, with my wonderful dog. I'm hoping to get control of this weight gain. I look forward to give support and also to receive support. Good luck to us all!!!